Josh Green

Watts the matter

17 minutes ago, stuie said:

Haha gotta laugh at a guy who continually stalks another poster and then complains when they actually reply...

Keep punching champ.

9 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Massive irony. 

Hahahahaha so true, yet somehow you completely missed it champ.

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Again, 2nd round pick, U18 state captain, leading goalkicker. You don't get any of those without talent, let alone all 3.

Don't miss my point when I'm saying the question isn't his talent. Clearly the question is his work ethic and commitment to development.

2nd round pick - doesn't mean much
State captain - of Tassie, doesn't mean much, can you name any others?
Leading goal kicker - of Brisbane. About as relevant as Matty Wright leading Carlton's or the years when Millers, Dawes etc led ours

I think the question is his talent. At 24 he's been given long enough to develop and commit. 

• Like 3

Josh Green is a very average footballer, he's just been de listed by a side that was awarded a priority pick, the same side he could barely get a game for, why would  a half decent side like us going anywhere near a spud like that? 

some players just don't deserve their own thread and Josh Green is one of them, do you think the other fan forums have threads about Dean Terlich?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jeck wartz said:

Josh Green is a very average footballer, he's just been de listed by a side that was awarded a priority pick, the same side he could barely get a game for, why would  a half decent side like us going anywhere near a spud like that? 

some players just don't deserve their own thread and Josh Green is one of them, do you think the other fan forums have threads about Dean Terlich?

Did we have a thread about him when he was delisted the first time and then we picked him up?

21 hours ago, stuie said:

Has some things that would be handy for us, mostly speed, and the whole point of the rookie list is to take a chance right? I'd rather take a gamble with someone like Green than have another vanilla footballer like Michie.

12 hours ago, stuie said:

There's no argument about his talent surely. 2nd round pick, captain of his state team and lead the Lions goalkicking 2 years ago.

Gysberts, Blease and Tapscott were all talented too.

Talent isn't the question mark over him, and wasn't the problem with the players you listed either.

So you're comparing him to completely unrelated players? Come on mate, you're usually better than that.

Wow...

13 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

Delisted from the worst list in the comp.  That should end the discussion right there.

Wise, that is a simplistic view, over the last few years we have been a basket case. That did not stop other teams picking over our list Rivers, Frawley etc. and more specifically Fitzpatrick & Dunn. I am not suggesting we take Green but if there is nothing better why not?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ManDee said:

Wise, that is a simplistic view, over the last few years we have been a basket case. That did not stop other teams picking over our list Rivers, Frawley etc. and more specifically Fitzpatrick & Dunn. I am not suggesting we take Green but if there is nothing better why not?

Craig Bolton was delisted by Brisbane before becoming an All-Australian and premiership player.

Just saying..

15 minutes ago, ManDee said:

To be fair, Man, Rivers and Frawley were best 18 when they left.

Fitzpatrick performed 1 good passage of play in his first season at Hawthorn, and we will have to wait and see how Dunn goes next year.

Trash from a poor side very rarely excels at a better team.

9 minutes ago, stuie said:

Craig Bolton was delisted by Brisbane before becoming an All-Australian and premiership player.

Just saying..

Are you comparing a Craig Bolton not getting a game in the Brisbane powerhouse side of the early 2000's, with Josh Green not getting a game in the Brisbane rabble of the 2010's?  Even though one was a star defender, and the other a vanilla small forward?

Reeks of comparing him with an unrelated player, Stuart.  Keep clutching at straws, son.

Just now, billy2803 said:

To be fair, Man, Rivers and Frawley were best 18 when they left.

Fitzpatrick performed 1 good passage of play in his first season at Hawthorn, and we will have to wait and see how Dunn goes next year.

Trash from a poor side very rarely excels at a better team.

Craig Bolton. Peter Bell. David Rodan. Leigh Brown. Stephen Milne. James Podsiadly. Joel Patfull. Brent Guerra. Martin Pike. And our own Josh Mahoney.

There's a few who were considered "trash" and went on to great careers.

2 minutes ago, billy2803 said:

Are you comparing a Craig Bolton not getting a game in the Brisbane powerhouse side of the early 2000's, with Josh Green not getting a game in the Brisbane rabble of the 2010's?  Even though one was a star defender, and the other a vanilla small forward?

Reeks of comparing him with an unrelated player, Stuart.  Keep clutching at straws, son.

Struggling with logic today aren't you "Billy".

FYI the current line of discussion is delisted players are "trash". I've pointed out in a few posts now that isn't always the case.

Keep up champ.

2 hours ago, stuie said:

Did we have a thread about him when he was delisted the first time and then we picked him up?

Irrelevant.

Green is a very average footballer who's just been delisted from a horrid team.

he doesn't even fit the needs of our list so it's not even worth discussing, we have good small forward stocks. 

your desperation to argue is breathtaking, you're actually arguing that Josh Green would be worth picking up?

and to your other point, the % of players de listed who go on to play regular footy at another club is extremely low, listing 5 or 6 that have done it is pointless, shall i list the players who've been delisted and not found a new club? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stuie said:

Craig Bolton. Peter Bell. David Rodan. Leigh Brown. Stephen Milne. James Podsiadly. Joel Patfull. Brent Guerra. Martin Pike. And our own Josh Mahoney.

There's a few who were considered "trash" and went on to great careers.

Can't compare those guys to Green they are different types of players.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Devil is in the Detail said:

Can't compare those guys to Green they are different types of players.

Not comparing the players. Nowhere have I said Green will be as good as them. They are examples of delisted players who went on to have great careers after being considered "trash" by thei former teams. This is to show that not every delisted player is "trash".

23 minutes ago, jeck wartz said:

Irrelevant.

Green is a very average footballer who's just been delisted from a horrid team.

he doesn't even fit the needs of our list so it's not even worth discussing, we have good small forward stocks. 

your desperation to argue is breathtaking, you're actually arguing that Josh Green would be worth picking up?

and to your other point, the % of players de listed who go on to play regular footy at another club is extremely low, listing 5 or 6 that have done it is pointless, shall i list the players who've been delisted and not found a new club? 

Nowhere have I said we should definitely pick him up.

Nowhere have I said he will make it.

What I HAVE SAID is that he has some attributes that may be useful to us, and it would possibly be worth sussing him out to see if we can get an idea on if it was the player or the club culture that stopped him performing as well as he could. Then, after that make a decision on if he was worth a rookie spot previously held by such valuable players as King and Michie.

Anyone who thinks Green has no tallent is mad. He has obvious work ethic issues and didnt fit into the Lions side this year. However as most would know when they team is poor the first players to go out are the small forwards. I sit on the fence a little because if we passed on him the reasons are obvious but given what he may be capable of, signing him on would not be the worst idea. Back the club to at least try and make something of him as a DFA he is a free Hit.

He might be the average player who is crap in a bad team and brilliant in a good team which next year we should be. Really hard to be a small forward in a side that doesnt get the ball forward. We put him in our side with our high i50 style of play I think he could kick a couple of goals a game for us. That would make him plenty valuable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stuie said:

Nowhere have I said we should definitely pick him up.

Nowhere have I said he will make it.

What I HAVE SAID is that he has some attributes that may be useful to us, and it would possibly be worth sussing him out to see if we can get an idea on if it was the player or the club culture that stopped him performing as well as he could. Then, after that make a decision on if he was worth a rookie spot previously held by such valuable players as King and Michie.

Why waste a rookie spot on a terrible player who doesn't even fit our needs? 

I would much rather Michie and King than Green, at least they fill a need.

surely a professional team would understand that a rookie pick could be a good player and not waste their time on a bloke who couldn't even get a run with Brisbane

1 minute ago, jeck wartz said:

Why waste a rookie spot on a terrible player who doesn't even fit our needs? 

I would much rather Michie and King than Green, at least they fill a need.

surely a professional team would understand that a rookie pick could be a good player and not waste their time on a bloke who couldn't even get a run with Brisbane

I didnt really want to get involved in the argument but what need did Michie fill?

• Like 1