Let's recruit Judd now

Jesus, this thread is a disgrace and should be locked.

I know Juddy personally, he is a mate, an unbelievably good bloke and a legend of our sport. I am disappointed he did not come to the Dees, truth is if we had our house in order he would have. Get over it!!!!!!

Juddy will not be going into full time media or full time coaching. He is over the fish bowl of the AFL and has built and impressive business portfolio. Mark my words you will only be reading about Juddy in the future will be in business pages of the papers.

Bottom Line is "Juddy" would have helped get this club in order

But he chose the $$$ of Richard Pratt & the AFL allowed it

Top Bloke....His old man taught me Maths in High School long before Chris was thought of, now Drew was a good bloke...

Chris made a business decision that suited him...

Certain players have performed acts on the field that may diminish your respect for them but to me it has nothing to do with their output and contribution to their teams

success.

Leigh Matthews is by far and way the best footballer I have seen play the game - and yes, he did some unsavory acts ( Add Carey, Ablett Snr, Hodge of recent years and in yesteryear - Ted Whitten and Barassi to the list of football greats who would take back certain onfield actions).

Judd was a phenomenal footballer. As to his leadership skills - I am not sure about his mentoring and disciplining of players but I vividly remember an article by a Carlton player after 6 months of Judd being at the club - Judd had set a training level that inspired others at the club to follow.

He rightly should be and will be remembered as a great of the game.

I wonder if I'm alone in my opinion that he and Matthews are the two most reprehensible thugs I've seen on a footy field.

yep, you're on your pat malone there

to put judd on the same plane re thuggishness as matthews just proves you haven't watched much football

The MFC have demonstrated they are not averse to being mercenary over history. Problem is, when we used the almighty dollar to bring a player in, we too often got it wrong. Judd made a decision in the best interests of his future and that of his family. As a professional footballer, he was entitled to do so.

As for being a thug - that is certainly drawing a long bow. Unlike Matthews, he was never criminally charged.

Edited by iv'a worn smith

god help me we already have a highly paid coach, coaching staff and admin. we must have very high overheads without paying for another millionaire to join our ranks. we have absolutely no reason to go after judd. i would rather we got junior or one of our many ex-players at hawthorn.

So true, Ernest. I would every year make a play for Junior - and apologize for <whoever was in charge of the list the New>'s manner of dumping him.

his second Brownlow was a sham, he may have been best that year but far from fairest.

his dirty elbow to Pavlic, which led to three stitches and blood pouring from the Postman's face was deemed as having insufficient force for him to be charged. was probably the most disgraceful decision by the dodgy tribunal of that year.

Judd, amazing footballer, but a dirty player who committed many cowardly acts. up their with Lethal, amazing and courageous player, but at the same time, a cowardly thug

Does the tribunal yet approach FIFA in terms of levels or corruption? Maybe not quite, but getting there.

Wow, I only just opened this thread now, and I'm truly surprised by the amount of angst against a champion of the game that has retired injured.

Pleasantly surprised. Great read.

Champion football player: ordinary leader and ordinary citizen.

If you are Juddy's mate, you're in a good position to ask him about his vicious attacks on opponents.

I admit that I'm possibly over-influenced by an interest in eye injury( my line of work).

But I'd like you to ask Chris, who undoubtedly is an intelligent and well educated bloke,whether he has any regrets about screwing his thumbs into another player's eyeballs. Not many other players do this. Has he any concept of "duty of care"?

Does he remember Nick Walsh.?

What was the real story about the "pressure points"?

I wonder if I'm alone in my opinion that he and Matthews are the two most reprehensible thugs I've seen on a footy field.

Matthews was far less subtle than Judd. Would play only a handful of games a season under the MRP regimen.

So true, Ernest. I would every year make a play for Junior - and apologize for <whoever was in charge of the list the New>'s manner of dumping him.

Does the tribunal yet approach FIFA in terms of levels or corruption? Maybe not quite, but getting there.

Champion football player: ordinary leader and ordinary citizen.

Matthews was far less subtle than Judd. Would play only a handful of games a season under the MRP regimen.

Some of us remember Matthew's cowardly attack on Peter Giles, behind the play, which saw him stretchered off the 'G

Jesus, this thread is a disgrace and should be locked.

I know Juddy personally, he is a mate, an unbelievably good bloke and a legend of our sport. I am disappointed he did not come to the Dees, truth is if we had our house in order he would have. Get over it!!!!!!

Juddy will not be going into full time media or full time coaching. He is over the fish bowl of the AFL and has built and impressive business portfolio. Mark my words you will only be reading about Juddy in the future will be in business pages of the papers.

Do you have to "like" the opinions of others ?

By all means disagree, vehemently if need be, but try not to be so outraged.

I admired Judd's football ability greatly but despised his underhand tactics on the field (eg. eye gouging, chicken wings and pressure point crap). Further, he would be a totally bad fit for the type of culture we are trying to nurture (remember his lack of leadership on the booze-fueled Yarra cruise?). No way in the world would I want him at my Club! Why would we pay good money for dragging us backwards, just as we are taking some tentative steps in the right direction?

Edit: spelling

Edited by Deeoldfart
  • Like 2

I admired Judd's football ability greatly but despised his underhand tactics on the field (eg. eye gouging, chicken wings and pressure point crap). Further, he would be a totally bad fit for the type of culture we are trying to nurture (remember his lack of leadership on the booze-fueled Yarra cruise?). No way in the world would I want him at my Club! Why would way pay good money for dragging us backwards, just as we are taking some tentative steps in the right direction?

You have my vote however I don't think you need worry he is off to more lucrative places.

• Like 1

I admired Judd's football ability greatly but despised his underhand tactics on the field (eg. eye gouging, chicken wings and pressure point crap). Further, he would be a totally bad fit for the type of culture we are trying to nurture (remember his lack of leadership on the booze-fueled Yarra cruise?). No way in the world would I want him at my Club! Why would we pay good money for dragging us backwards, just as we are taking some tentative steps in the right direction?

Edit: spelling

Not so sure he would actually drag us backwards.....just wouldn't contribute at all to the forward journey.

Certain players have performed acts on the field that may diminish your respect for them but to me it has nothing to do with their output and contribution to their teams

success.

Leigh Matthews is by far and way the best footballer I have seen play the game - and yes, he did some unsavory acts ( Add Carey, Ablett Snr, Hodge of recent years and in yesteryear - Ted Whitten and Barassi to the list of football greats who would take back certain onfield actions).

Judd was a phenomenal footballer. As to his leadership skills - I am not sure about his mentoring and disciplining of players but I vividly remember an article by a Carlton player after 6 months of Judd being at the club - Judd had set a training level that inspired others at the club to follow.

He rightly should be and will be remembered as a great of the game.

Just a minute!!!

Leave Barassi out of this . He was dynamic and inspiring, and went in hard for the ball.

He never did thuggish acts(Roger Dean definitely staged in 1963)

He did often argue with the Umpire, which wasn't good, but it wasn't thuggish, either.

I agree that Judd was a great player....one of the greatest. I am just reminding people that he had a vicious streak.

Matthews' behind the play assaults on Giles, Smith and McMullin are well remembered by Demon fans, and if you ask supporters of other Clubs, they'll tell you of Matthews atrocities with their players.

Have Demonlanders noticed the scar under Gary Lyon's chin? Am I correct in suggesting that it is a result of the time Ablett senior elbowed him up the jaw behind the play, when Gary was beating him pointless?

I don't know which is worse, felling guys behind the play, or potentially blinding them by screwing your thumbs into their eyeballs. What do you think, Daisycutter?

Edited by Jumping Jack Clennett
  • Like 1

Just a minute!!!

Leave Barassi out of this . He was dynamic and inspiring, and went in hard for the ball.

He never did thuggish acts(Roger Dean definitely staged in 1963)

He did often argue with the Umpire, which wasn't good, but it wasn't thuggish, either.

I agree that Judd was a great player....one of the greatest. I am just reminding people that he had a vicious streak.

Matthews' behind the play assaults on Giles, Smith and McMullin are well remembered by Demon fans, and if you ask supporters of other Clubs, they'll tell you of Matthews atrocities with their players.

Have Demonlanders noticed the scar under Gary Lyon's chin? Am I correct in suggesting that it is a result of the time Ablett senior elbowed him up the jaw behind the play, when Gary was beating him pointless?

I don't know which is worse, felling guys behind the play, or potentially blinding them by screwing your thumbs into their eyeballs. What do you think, Daisycutter?

You beat me to it JJC. Barassi was hard but fair. Not the maggots greatest mate which is why he didn't get too far on Brownlow night, but if I recall the Dean "incident" was the only suspension he was given, and we all know that it would have been laughed out of the tribunal here days.

Matthews was just a plain vicious thug - McMullin and Bruns stick in my mind most. Judd was far more sneaky and did his work in close.

what i think is, that if you want comparisons to matthews thuggery, i can think of hundreds of other players before judd. that's what i think

you're analogy was too hyperbolic :)

• Like 1

Interested to hear the thoughts on Grinter's hit on Terry Wallace and how you would characterize Grinter's career overall.

Grinter was a thug and so was Pickett.