When does the coach start taking the blame?

joeboy

One swallow doesn't make a summer but I'll take the swallow.

It was the best we've played since Bailey's time and long overdue but we played a Suns team short on match practice and without their two key forwards.

Clearly the most pleasing thing is that we kicked goals and from my point of view that Jack Watts took another step in proving his doubters wrong.

Interesting that the commentators kept accrediting the attacking play to Simon Goodwin. Personally I'd give the credit to Roos. The buck stops at the top.

And isn't the brand of footy so far this round so good with its attacking mindset. I also like the new holding the ball interpretation.

A win next week would really be something.

The "doubters" will never be proven wrong. Watts has been an unqualified failure. Let's hope the penny has finally dropped and he continues that type of workrate and improved running patterns. Intensity is key for Watts.

You can't not deliver on your undoubted talent for 6 years and then suddenly prove the "doubters" wrong. The doubters have been right. It's up to Watts to deliver for himself, his teammates and long-suffering fans.

The "doubters" will never be proven wrong. Watts has been an unqualified failure. Let's hope the penny has finally dropped and he continues that type of workrate and improved running patterns. Intensity is key for Watts.

You can't not deliver on your undoubted talent for 6 years and then suddenly prove the "doubters" wrong. The doubters have been right. It's up to Watts to deliver for himself, his teammates and long-suffering fans.

The way I see it is the doubters will be wrong if Watts becomes a top 50 player. The doubters I'm talking about are those that have written him off. Not the ones that give a shallow week by week commentary, say "I was wrong and I'm happy" and move their doubt happily to someone else never recognising that having been wrong once before it could ever happen again.

They're just the dumb clucks.

I really think that many of our underachievers were victims of the miasm hanging over the club due to poor leadership, negative culture and hopeless development. We have moved on from that and need to cut some slack with players such as Watts and judge him on what happens next. He was sublime yesterday and a match winner - probably for the first time. I liked Gary Lyons article suggesting he model himself on Gunston.

• Like 2

One swallow doesn't make a summer but I'll take the swallow.

It was the best we've played since Bailey's time and long overdue but we played a Suns team short on match practice and without their two key forwards.

Clearly the most pleasing thing is that we kicked goals and from my point of view that Jack Watts took another step in proving his doubters wrong.

Interesting that the commentators kept accrediting the attacking play to Simon Goodwin. Personally I'd give the credit to Roos. The buck stops at the top.

And isn't the brand of footy so far this round so good with its attacking mindset. I also like the new holding the ball interpretation.

A win next week would really be something.

Curious. Roos coaches a winning game and "One swallow doesn't make a summer "

Watts plays a good game and "Jack Watts took another step in proving his doubters wrong"

As Nasher has stated in a previous post objectivity is a rare thing amongst footy followers.

Your loyalty to the Bailey era due to your personal involvement during that time colours most things you type in this forum.

It used to annoy me, now I find it humorous.

• Like 3

I really think that many of our underachievers were victims of the miasm hanging over the club due to poor leadership, negative culture and hopeless development. We have moved on from that and need to cut some slack with players such as Watts and judge him on what happens next. He was sublime yesterday and a match winner - probably for the first time. I liked Gary Lyons article suggesting he model himself on Gunston.

There's no doubt a host of reasons have led to Watts' continual underperformance, however, it's time we cease the excuses.

Many have been harsh critics, but let's draw a line under his first 6 years and judge him from 2015 onwards. We all need a fresh start sometimes.

Edited by ProDee

I wouldn't drink your own bath water so readily...

He is an 'unqualified failure'? Of a draft pick? Who would you rather? Or as a footballer? How is that?

He has played plenty of games like he did yesterday in his short career. But every 3 weeks he seems to fall asleep at the wheel and let his good work be ignored by individuals like yourself.

His doubters can continue to doubt if they want to - but don't think that judgement on his career is over or that you right - the debate will continue for a few years yet.

• Like 3

I don't know what it is about Roosy but he is a deadset genius.

Ever since he has come to the club he has not said one thing wrong, he has galvanized the group, he has played down expectations of young players, he has said to stop looking at the past and look at the future, and the blokes he's bought in are going to have the same impact his "recycled players" did at Sydney.

This man is all class.

• Like 5

Some will never understand your point. However, you have nailed it. Using an "RPF'ism" they are standing on the outside pissing in - blaming ex-recruiters, CEO's,Presidents, ex-coaches, over valuing early draft picks burdening them with their own personal over expectations - but some just get it poor culture, stand for nothing, underfunded football department, under resourced football department. Yesterday was another step towards this club re-inventing itself. Im sure we will have our up and downs over the season but such is life. Go Dees.

Edited by T&W
  • Like 1

I think Watts can do even better than Gunston, particularly once Dawes is back in the team and Hogan has a dozen or so games under his belt.

• Like 2

I don't know what it is about Roosy but he is a deadset genius.

Ever since he has come to the club he has not said one thing wrong, he has galvanized the group, he has played down expectations of young players, he has said to stop looking at the past and look at the future, and the blokes he's bought in are going to have the same impact his "recycled players" did at Sydney.

This man is all class.

He has really emphasized doing everything as a team as well. You can tell nobody is trying to be the star player.

Ok then.

Most posters judge players based on what they see in games, not what they read on here - except Machsy ;)

That's not what I mean.

Case in point the off-season - the players aren't playing, few are getting to training, but the perceptions of many change based on what is read or interpreted from the words of others, rightly or hilariously wrongly.

Confirmation bias then skews the perception of what can occur onfield.

There's no doubt a host of reasons that have led to Watts' continual underperformance, however, it's time we cease the excuses.

Many have been harsh critics, but let's draw a line under his first 6 years and judge him from 2015 onwards. We all need a fresh start sometimes.

Up until now the excuses have been valid. Not anymore, I agree.

Up until now the excuses have been valid. Not anymore, I agree.

You have nailed it again - Your on fire this morning. Huge thank-you must go to AD and the AFL they rebuild our FD with their cold hard cash.

You have nailed it again - Your on fire this morning. Huge thank-you must go to AD and the AFL they rebuild our FD with their cold hard cash.

No, no, no - according to your logic, it is us that deserve the praise for we were to blame for the malaise.

Thankyou so much for your appreciation for my hand in yesterday's accomplished win. But it isn't just me, it's everyone who ever disagreed with Dr Who/hangon007/T&W over the years...

Well done to all!

I wouldn't drink your own bath water so readily...

You've quoted at least 3 of your own posts this morning and accuse me of drinking my own bathwater ? At least you have a sense of humour.

Even his barely passable games have been played on his own terms. Picking and choosing when it suits him.

Yesterday was a clear breakthrough for him, and, as I said, I've drawn a line under the previous 6 years and look forward to the rest of his career. I hope he can look back and say he got the most out of himself and worked out what it took to maximise his talents at the elite level.

Edited by ProDee

You've bumped at least 3 of your own posts this morning and accuse me of drinking my own bathwater ? At least you have a sense of humour.

Even his barely passable games have been played on his own terms. Picking and choosing when it suits him.

Yesterday was a clear breakthrough for him, and, as I said, I've drawn a line under the previous 6 years and look forward to the rest of his career. I hope he can look back and say he got the most out of himself and worked out what it took to maximise his talents at the elite level.

If yesterday was a 'breakthrough' game then Jack has had about 15 breakthroughs.

You can doubt, Jack. Most people who follow footy doubt him. You are not alone in the woods on that.

But don't tell me that he can't prove you wrong. He has a chance to fulfil his talent, and if he does that - he will prove you wrong; that's what you have been doubting isn't it?

Im leaning towards the idea of Goodwin following Roos as a masterstroke.

In simple terms you craft a defensive ability as a foundation and build attacking upon it. This is mirrored in the coaching plan.

Look Rome's not built in a day..( just burnt !! ) . It must frustrate the hell out of Roos etc when good work is undone by whatever it is that conspired to take players back in time to bad habits.

But its up to the coaches to rectify this, with both instruction and suitable manpower. Buck stops with Paul

agreed blzbb

we have always been font runners 'mostly' in our modern eras

the hard coaches come in to repair us, & then 'magically' we end up returning back to front ended footy, after the hard coaches are deespatched.

lets enjoy the Roos model while it lasts. yesterdays win is just the start of 'responsible footballers' playing their part for the teammm

beware those who ride in from the Nth on White Stallions, beheading the hard nosed coaches, & proclaiming the future riches are in their palms & that we should all bow Northward gazing into the dazzling shiny Sun

arise the spirit of 'Checker', Master of Demons.

If yesterday was a 'breakthrough' game then Jack has had about 15 breakthroughs.

You can doubt, Jack. Most people who follow footy doubt him. You are not alone in the woods on that.

But don't tell me that he can't prove you wrong. He has a chance to fulfil his talent, and if he does that - he will prove you wrong; that's what you have been doubting isn't it?

I've doubted his output at the beginning of every year over the last 4 years and haven't been wrong. I have never doubted his talent. Games that some supporters laud I've been less than enthused about. I dare say some of the games that have impressed you have left me cold.

That said, I've been quite bullish re 2015.

My views would be no different to anyone within the club. It's supporters that set the bar too low with Jack, not his coaches or teammates. And not me.

• Like 1

I've doubted his output at the beginning of every year over the last 4 years and haven't been wrong. I have never doubted his talent. Games that some supporters laud I've been less than enthused about. I dare say some of the games that have impressed you have left me cold.

That said, I've been quite bullish re 2015.

My views would be no different to anyone within the club. It's supporters that set the bar too low with Jack, not his coaches or teammates. And not me.

Watts had 17 touches, 7 marks, 2 Inside 50s, 1 goal assist, and kicked 3 goals.

Watts averaged 16.7 touches, 5.3 marks, 1.6 Inside 50s, half a goal assist, and .8 goals a game in the last 4 years.

I acknowledge that he has been inconsistent - that I am not arguing - but trying to convince yourself that the doubts you have had have not seen some proof of the opposite these last 4 years is rich.

Watts does what he did yesterday 10 times a year on average (he has had 17+ disposal games 39 times from 2011-2014). And while disposal count is an inexact measure but he has always had to work hard to get it and it has been pretty hard for him in the kind of teams he has played in these last 4 years.

• Like 1

Watts had 17 touches, 7 marks, 2 Inside 50s, 1 goal assist, and kicked 3 goals.

Watts averaged 16.7 touches, 5.3 marks, 1.6 Inside 50s, half a goal assist, and .8 goals a game in the last 4 years.

I acknowledge that he has been inconsistent - that I am not arguing - but trying to convince yourself that the doubts you have had have not seen some proof of the opposite these last 4 years is rich.

Watts does what he did yesterday 10 times a year on average (he has had 17+ disposal games 39 times from 2011-2014). And while disposal count is an inexact measure but he has always had to work hard to get it and it has been pretty hard for him in the kind of teams he has played in these last 4 years.

Nah, he worked so much harder, spread wide, ran smarter, turned his opponent around when doubling back to goal, etc.

It was much much better.

Were you there or just counting stats from the game ?

• Like 1

Nah, he worked so much harder, spread wide, ran smarter, turned his opponent around when doubling back to goal, etc.

It was much much better.

hahaha - You got him there. He cant answer that question in case he incriminates himself. As one of our ex-Presidents would say he is one of our arm-chair "experts" that make a ton of noise from the "cheap-seats".

It was much much better.

hahaha - You got him there. He cant answer that question in case he incriminates himself. As one of our ex-Presidents would say he is one of our arm-chair "experts" that make a ton of noise from the "cheap-seats".

You two can laugh at 'jokes' all you like...

The myth that Watts has never shown something like he showed yesterday pops up about 5 times a season.

Such regularity should trigger some self-reflection but those incapable can't be reasoned with.

I may have just 'thrown numbers around' but until they are sufficiently batted down - they are out there, without dissent.

• Like 1