It's all positve

Giles

Yay! We're not losing as bad!

Isn't that exactly what Roos promised ? He didnt promise wins but did promise that our percentage wouldn't be 50% ? Not happy with that message now ?

Edited by nutbean

How can you call something 'progress' and in the same sentence concede that '90% of the team didn't play well' ? Isn't that the epitome of contradiction? What is it a progression from? 95% of the team not playing well?

90% of them not playing well is precisely the problem!

Maybe the progress is that last year if 90% didn't play well we wouldn't have gone near an 8 point margain (which we didn't).

Why do people keep accusing those that aren't stomping up and down about losses of accepting them? Having a balanced view isn't accepting losses.

• Like 6

That depends on how productive your other 6 hours are and whether they compensate for the 2 hours you stuffed up.

There is no doubt in anyones mind that the 2nd quarter was very poor.

We shouldn't accept losing and no AFL player goes out onto the ground to lose.

But you have an expectation the Lada will be turned into a porsche overnight.

I'll ask you this. Do you support Roos and agree with what he is saying - in particular do you agree when he said that we are coming from a long way back and there will be some steps forwards but be prepared for some steps back as well ? ( paraphrasing).

Thats exactly what we saw on Sunday. The difference for me was that as poorly as we played in the 2nd quarter the players didnt throw in the towel ( as previous ) and the effort of most was still there until the end of the game. ( unfortunately in many cases, the execution wasn't)

I hate losing with a passion but am I seeing any rays of light so far this year ? Absolutely. Have there been times this year when it has clouded over and obscured any rays of light ? Absolutely. I am not disillusioned at the moment like I was for the last two years. I am not despairing because I can see areas of improvement.

Do I want to see us win every game going forward ? Absolutely, but I have to temper this with realism and for now whilst I hate losing I will continue to embrace the forward momentum from last year.

Yes i fully support Roos and PJ 100%...I have often said this.

Having worked in the TV industry for many years i will bet you my left one that not all that Paul Roos is saying on the public record is what he is teaching and saying to the players in private.

He would have been furious at the debacle that 2nd Quarter was. Golden opportunity butchered.

If that 2nd Q had been a tight hard affair then i would happily have accepted it as a close loss.

But it was a close loss because our 2nd Q was putrid and sub AFL standard.

If my opinion and view bothers people so be it.

But some of the comments directed my way in here make me laugh.

You lot will still be waiting for the move up the ladder in 10 years. Steve is closest to the mark in here.

The only positive from sunday for PJ & Roosy is that the deletion of players from the list has been made easier.

I love how you say the 2nd quarter was sub standard as if that is some breakthrough statement. No [censored] it was sub standard. Yet again, you miss the point.

Roos' private discussions will differ from what he says in public? Wow. Thanks for that insight Mr TV Industry.

It won't matter who we bring in to you. Apparently Cross and his performances aren't a positive. Tyson isn't a positive. There are no positives. It will just be a fresh bunch of recruits for you to rant on and on about being overpaid and responsible for the club being at death's door. Again.

You're a joke, WYL. The worst kind of supporter. Attend a game once in a while. Hell, watch one. Then get back to me.

• Like 1

I love how you say the 2nd quarter was sub standard as if that is some breakthrough statement. No [censored] it was sub standard. Yet again, you miss the point.

Roos' private discussions will differ from what he says in public? Wow. Thanks for that insight Mr TV Industry.

It won't matter who we bring in to you. Apparently Cross and his performances aren't a positive. Tyson isn't a positive. There are no positives. It will just be a fresh bunch of recruits for you to rant on and on about being overpaid and responsible for the club being at death's door. Again.

You're a joke, WYL. The worst kind of supporter. Attend a game once in a while. Hell, watch one. Then get back to me.

When did i ever say 2014 season is not a positive??

Last sunday was a large missed opportunity. So i do not consider it a positive OK...Let that sink in.

Me the worst kind of supporter...Yeah right. You have no idea how much i have tipped in mate.

So keep those thoughts to yourself.

The 2nd Q was all about 1. EFFORT & WORKRATE. Both of which have nothing to do with a gameplan, regardless of what Mark Robinson has to say. Both the aforementioned went missing for 30 minutes.

But returned after half time. So i summize from that, that the players know what is required but just didn't do it inthe 2nd Q...Is that a fair conclusion???

P Man i am not sure how old you are as in how long you have been a Demon, But i have seen this pattern of EFFORT & WORKRATE drop in & out since John Northey left. Balmey Danners Bails and Neeld.

So don't question my support of the club when i put the heat on the players.

With EFFORT & WORKRATE better in the 2nd Term we should have been up by 25-30 points.

With a young GC tiring in the 2nd Half.

That would have been a positive.

Last sunday was a large missed opportunity. So i do not consider it a positive OK...Let that sink in.

Me the worst kind of supporter...Yeah right. You have no idea how much i have tipped in mate.

The 2nd Q was all about 1. EFFORT & WORKRATE. Both of which have nothing to do with a gameplan, regardless of what Mark Robinson has to say. Both the aforementioned went missing for 30 minutes.

But returned after half time. So i summize from that, that the players know what is required but just didn't do it inthe 2nd Q...Is that a fair conclusion???

P Man i am not sure how old you are as in how long you have been a Demon, But i have seen this pattern of EFFORT & WORKRATE drop in & out since John Northey left. Balmey Danners Bails and Neeld.

With EFFORT & WORKRATE better in the 2nd Term we should have been up by 25-30 points.

But the fact that effort and work rate were up in the other 3 quarters, when we didn't show it at all last season, is not a positive?

I couldn't give a rat's clacker if you've been around since the pre-war era mate. Your attitude stinks and I'm sick of it, if that wasn't obvious. YOU are what's wrong with the club. Naysayers who sit in their lounge chairs and can't be stuffed even watching a game, let alone attending one, but are more than willing to jump to your keyboard and slam everyone who is putting an ounce of effort in.

There is a place for criticism, but what do you contribute that's positive? Nothing. Zip.

Even now when we finally have a CEO and senior coach to place genuine faith into, all you ever do is [censored] and moan, bag all the players, and generally bring the mood down whilst seemingly demanding instant change and success. Meanwhile your visions of doom have become a thing of parody.

And for the last time, your appraisal of GC is painfully outdated, but you wouldn't know that because you don't watch any footy.

Go to the mirror and stop acting like such a damn fool.

Semi fair conclusion.....

You acknowledge that the players know what was required and didnt do it in the 2nd quarter and that is a big negative - agreed.

Yet you acknowledge that it (effort) returned after half time - that is not a positive ?

It is all a matter of degrees - nobody but nobody who supports us would have given us close to a pass mark for Sundays game. That's the big picture. Were there small positives ? - absolutely ! Have we progressed at all from last year - in my mind undoubtedly ( but don't confuse that with being happy watching us lose every week) Playing poorly most of the game but still hanging in ( As Roos said positive but frustrating). Viney continuing to improve in form. Two big forwards being wasteful but at least getting their hands on the ball. Jones continueing to be Jones. Some positives.

Edited by nutbean

I couldn't give a rat's clacker if you've been around since the pre-war era mate. Your attitude stinks and I'm sick of it, if that wasn't obvious. YOU are what's wrong with the club. Naysayers who sit in their lounge chairs and can't be stuffed even watching a game, let alone attending one, but are more than willing to jump to your keyboard and slam everyone who is putting an ounce of effort in.

There is a place for criticism, but what do you contribute that's positive? Nothing. Zip.

Even now when we finally have a CEO and senior coach to place genuine faith into, all you ever do is [censored] and moan, bag all the players, and generally bring the mood down whilst seemingly demanding instant change and success. Meanwhile your visions of doom have become a thing of parody.

And for the last time, your appraisal of GC is painfully outdated, but you wouldn't know that because you don't watch any footy.

Go to the mirror and stop acting like such a damn fool.

All very well but what do you really think? Now don't hold back, let it rip.

Edit;- I made bold several of PMans statements.

Edited by ManDee

<much wisdom elided>

Cue comments about 'I've been waiting 50 years!!!'

Yep - I was there in '64 --- would be interesting to know who else on here can remember then?

I can!

<much wisdom elided>

Cue comments about 'I've been waiting 50 years!!!'

Yep - I was there in '64 --- would be interesting to know who else on here can remember then?

Just pre-empting what was going to be said next when I called for patience. It all becomes fairly predictable after a while.

Yes i fully support Roos and PJ 100%...I have often said this.

Having worked in the TV industry for many years i will bet you my left one that not all that Paul Roos is saying on the public record is what he is teaching and saying to the players in private.

He would have been furious at the debacle that 2nd Quarter was. Golden opportunity butchered.

If that 2nd Q had been a tight hard affair then i would happily have accepted it as a close loss.

But it was a close loss because our 2nd Q was putrid and sub AFL standard.

If my opinion and view bothers people so be it.

But some of the comments directed my way in here make me laugh.

You lot will still be waiting for the move up the ladder in 10 years. Steve is closest to the mark in here.

The only positive from sunday for PJ & Roosy is that the deletion of players from the list has been made easier.

I'm not sure that second quarter highlighted anything, but the fact that we are a developing side and one that will struggle with its consistency. In 2012/2013, the only time we'd get near consistency, is in our substandard performances. We're winning quarters this year though, mate. That is tangible evidence of improvement. I'm as [censored] off as you that we're still losing to teams and to teams we really should be well ahead of in terms of development. BUT, the fact is, we're not ahead of them. We all know why and you readily underline the problems of the club's past failings, whether it be administrations or the FD. We have to remember how bad our 2013 was though. I certainly haven't seen a worst football side (fielded by any club) in my lifetime. That's the low base we're coming off.

Okay, so we were essentially universally putrid across the ground in that second quarter and I was filthy. That already tells me so much. Last year, I would have been apathetic 15 minutes into the first quarter. This year, I go to games thinking we're a chance to win. And mate, we are making progress. Losses aren't acceptable, but we also need to recognise the baby steps being taken here. Roos and PJ need time to fix the mess. There isn't an easy switch. So let's roll up our sleeves and support the club. Get along to as many games as we can and you just wait, that feeling when success starts to come closer, it'll be so much sweeter.

Edited by AdamFarr