The 2014 AFL National Draft

Whispering_Jack

Still maintain keep 1 pick in the Top 2 or 3 whatever we get and do another Tyson Salem type deal with the other picks

GWS

Trelaor, Shiel

Port

Wines - the one area they are not great is in defence do they want Durdin, but don't see them giving up Ollie

Suns

Prestia, Swallow

Crows

Sloane, Talia

Swans

Hanneberry, Parker

Lions

Rockliff, Redden

Problem is, you're listing quite a few players, that if a team had a top 3 pick, just about the best they could hope for is that they'd turn out exactly the same quality.

Why would you trade, when there's a high risk you'll get a worse player, but then you'll have to develop them for another 2-3 years to get to the same stage?

Shiel maybe, because he's getting squeezed out of the side.

Plowman, because he hasn't played much, but I think he'll play a lot in Davis' absence and secure his spot.

In a draft loaded with quality talls, the expansion teams have a pretty good back-supply of them.

I'd offer pick 3 for Wines, give him a pay rise, if they feel he is going to walk at the end of his contract, a young SA defender ranked so highly might just get their attention

pick 2 for Dangerfield, if we offer overs and the crows feel he is going to walk anyway then they might see pick 2 as better than the compo if any next year

pick 1,19 and Jeremy Howe for Trelor and Patton? long shot but couldn't hurt to ask, they get a key forward, a versatile forward target who is great for marketing which they need and a good pick, they will then have Cameron, Wright and Boyd as well as Howe and pick 19

In both those cases the player is worth more than those offers.

Regarding Wines, there is nothing to indicate that he is anything but ecstatic about being part of the Port outfit - he is an unrealistic target. Dangerfield too, probably.

• Like 1

Problem is, you're listing quite a few players, that if a team had a top 3 pick, just about the best they could hope for is that they'd turn out exactly the same quality.

Why would you trade, when there's a high risk you'll get a worse player, but then you'll have to develop them for another 2-3 years to get to the same stage?

Shiel maybe, because he's getting squeezed out of the side.

Plowman, because he hasn't played much, but I think he'll play a lot in Davis' absence and secure his spot.

In a draft loaded with quality talls, the expansion teams have a pretty good back-supply of them.

You're right there, the clubs that will be interested are those desperate for a KPP. I guess that brings Adelaide into the mix and a couple of others. Of course if Frawley goes then we would be deperate for KPP's.

• Like 2

In both those cases the player is worth more than those offers.

Regarding Wines, there is nothing to indicate that he is anything but ecstatic about being part of the Port outfit - he is an unrealistic target. Dangerfield too, probably.

It depends, Dangerfield is almost 2 years from being out of contract and already put talks on hold, if by the end of this year the crows feel he may leave as a free agent they might see an opportunity to get a really high draft pick as better than the risk of no compo at all the next year if he leaves.

Wines is a victorian boy, best mates with Jack, strong ties to the viney family, a big pay rise and the opportunity to come home would get his attention i think, it doesn't hurt to make the phone call, we need these sorts of players to improve

This thread get to 500 pages by November.

1- McCartin

2-Wright

3-Brayshaw

4- Petrecca

5- Lever

Nth will be desparate to get Brayshaw.

Ryan Bastinac and North pick 12 (9th place) for our pick 2.

Assume MFC gets priority pick and pick 1.

I am not a fan of trading a high pick for a good player and pick 12. We could have and should have picked up Kelly this year. Why give a potential champion for 2 good players. Kelly has poise and skill, no more NQR please go for quality.

I am not a fan of trading a high pick for a good player and pick 12. We could have and should have picked up Kelly this year. Why give a potential champion for 2 good players. Kelly has poise and skill, no more NQR please go for quality.

Tyson is probably leading our B&F at the moment and you haven't seen Salem who is rated up there with Kelly but next draft I would keep some high picks. We are going to need the KPP's.

• Like 1

It depends, Dangerfield is almost 2 years from being out of contract and already put talks on hold, if by the end of this year the crows feel he may leave as a free agent they might see an opportunity to get a really high draft pick as better than the risk of no compo at all the next year if he leaves.

Wines is a victorian boy, best mates with Jack, strong ties to the viney family, a big pay rise and the opportunity to come home would get his attention i think, it doesn't hurt to make the phone call, we need these sorts of players to improve

'Sassy' you have lost the plot old son. Of course Danger has put talks on hold, he still has 2 years to go on his current contract. Why would he negotiate now?

He has said he is more interested in success than cash so that rules us out. Forget Danger, he's not for us and he is over rated anyway.

As for Wines, that one is long gone. He will make a good career for himself at Port and will be a champion of that club. Home for him is not the city of Melbourne he is a country boy and Adelaide is a big country town.

'Sassy' you have lost the plot old son. Of course Danger has put talks on hold, he still has 2 years to go on his current contract. Why would he negotiate now?

He has said he is more interested in success than cash so that rules us out. Forget Danger, he's not for us and he is over rated anyway.

As for Wines, that one is long gone. He will make a good career for himself at Port and will be a champion of that club. Home for him is not the city of Melbourne he is a country boy and Adelaide is a big country town.

Haha wish upon a star i suppose Rjay, i really think we need to try and get our hands on someone with superstar potential, and the only way that happens for us is paying overs or waiting and developing Tyson, Salem, Viney, Hogan, Toumpas and hoping one lives up to their hype

I think any manoeuvrings involving high picks and good players from other clubs will be dependent on how we finish the season. If we don't win games and finish the season full of promise, no one will be interested in coming here. But if we do finish the season well we probably won't receive a priority pick/s. My ideal scenario involves Frawley staying, finishing third or fourth last have won five or six games in the back half of the season and having a top 5 pick that we can use in a way similar to the Tyson deal at the end of last year.

Gun. Seriously? What games are you watching?

I still can't believe there are people like you around that are so blind to his ability.

I mean, I don't really rate your football judgment anyhow, but when it's so painfully obvious, I thought you'd still get it.

My mistake.

I still can't believe there are people like you around that are so blind to his ability.

I mean, I don't really rate your football judgment anyhow, but when it's so painfully obvious, I thought you'd still get it.

My mistake.

People tend to judge him on recent form. He's been underwhelming under Neeld and was outshone by Garland particularly last season.

He is a great player, no doubt about it. So far this season, despite the flak he has copped, he's averaged 10 marks a game which is huge. Frawley for me is still in the top 5 key defenders in the competition but just needs to recapture form, which I think he's on track to do this season. Once he performs, people will singing his praises like there was never any doubt.

However, I'm not confident he'll hang around.

• Like 1

My mistake.

He's a fantastic shut down defender, never seen anyone have the wood over blokes like Jack Rewloldt so consistantly,

His skills leave alot to be desired, his decision making and leadership are lacking but i think the club contributes to that as much as anything.

he'd be a loss, but to me it seems he has made his decision already, i just can't see how we are going to retain him on current form.

I've been told we will retain him, on good money, and the club will use it as a bit of a public fillip later in the season.

Good source, but I'm not silly enough to believe it blindly.

But I really do think retaining Frawley is a definite possibility, and is of vital importance.

Hard to attract new talent through trade when we are this bad and a player like that is walking out the door.

An extra early draft pick won't do as much to rebuild this club as retaining chip.

• Like 1

I've been told we will retain him, on good money, and the club will use it as a bit of a public fillip later in the season.

Good source, but I'm not silly enough to believe it blindly.

But I really do think retaining Frawley is a definite possibility, and is of vital importance.

Hard to attract new talent through trade when we are this bad and a player like that is walking out the door.

An extra early draft pick won't do as much to rebuild this club as retaining chip.

It absolutely is. People who are blase about losing him and couldn't really care less are delusional. It would be another huge blow and the effect it would have on our ability to keep and bring other players to the club can't be underestimated.

• Like 1

Frawley would not be attracting the interest he is if not being up there with the best. Teams like Hawthorn aren't stupid

What interest?

Are you going by the rubbish peddled by the newspapers? Or the leaks from his player manager?

This is a fishing exercise. Nothing to see here your worship.

• Like 1

Frawley would not be attracting the interest he is if not being up there with the best. Teams like Hawthorn aren't stupid

Hawthorn, Fremantle, Adelaide, Gold Coast, GWS and Carlton will all offer the 800k for Frawley if push comes to shove because Key backs of that quality don't grow on trees

Hawthorn, Fremantle, Adelaide, Gold Coast, GWS and Carlton will all offer the 800k for Frawley if push comes to shove because Key backs of that quality don't grow on trees

No one will be paying that much for Frawley. If the article had any truth to it, it would be his agent throwing out a ceiling amount to start negotiations. He'd probably receive realistic offers of around 500K to 600K IMO.

• Like 1

No one will be paying that much for Frawley. If the article had any truth to it, it would be his agent throwing out a ceiling amount to start negotiations. He'd probably receive realistic offers of around 500K to 600K IMO.

If Eddie Betts gets paid 600k to move, Dale Thomas gets 700 k to move Chip frawley could get 800k

Likely draft outcome

1st round

#1 Patrick McCartin, Geelong Falcons 195cm Johnathan Brown like key forward

2nd round

priority pick #21 trade away for a midfielder:

#22 Billy Stretch * father/son -179cm pacy wingman

"Frawley compensating" #23 Sean Mclaren, Sandringham Dragons- 198cms ruck/forward

3rd round

#42 trade to Cats for Jordan Schroeder - 184cms half forward/mid. Goalkicker and tough.

Free agent - Matt Rosa - 190 cms classy wingman

Upgraded rookie Mitch Clisby

thats 7 in

Edited by spirit of norm smith

Likely draft outcome

1st round

#1 Patrick McCartin

2nd round

priority pick #21

#22 Billy Stretch * father/son

Frawley compensating #23

I thought compo for Frawley would be after our first round selection???