The Successor

mitch

Listening to Schwarz yesterday afternoon (not the greatest source, I admit) he said that he has info that we will bring in multiple assistants without annointing any single one as the successor.

Then they all get a chance to be the one that pushes his name forward as the most deserving, and the others get quality personal development in the process, and boosting their own profile and CV.

That will keep the fire in the belly of all assistants and prevent the media from repeatedly asking questions of just the one coach, ignoring the others.

Well, that would go against what Roos said, and the only reason I can see as to why they would backtrack on it is if the see no suitable heir from the candidates available.

Or if we can get BOTH of Simpson and Burns interested in joining the footy dept.

They've both said no to Brisbane, and the word is that Simpson and WestCoast have little interest in each other, while Sumich is the favourite ahead of Burns, who likely wouldn't stay.

I know I'm just hopeful, but unless this has already been decided yet not announced, then anything is a possibility.

Roos didn't set it in stone.

• Like 1

Or if we can get BOTH of Simpson and Burns interested in joining the footy dept.

They've both said no to Brisbane, and the word is that Simpson and WestCoast have little interest in each other, while Sumich is the favourite ahead of Burns, who likely wouldn't stay.

I know I'm just hopeful, but unless this has already been decided yet not announced, then anything is a possibility.

Roos didn't set it in stone.

He didn't have the engravers around but he said that the heir apparent may be in charge before Watts re-signs, which tells me that it is soon and that a Senior Assistant will be hired.

What if we got both Burns and Simpson to the club on the proviso that either one of them (performance based) would become our senior coach after Paul Roos left, and that the other would be free to leave if not selected?

Would either of them go for that, in the knowledge that whatever happened they would be in the box-seat to coach any club that was looking for a new coach by then?

What if we got both Burns and Simpson to the club on the proviso that either one of them (performance based) would become our senior coach after Paul Roos left, and that the other would be free to leave if not selected?

Would either of them go for that, in the knowledge that whatever happened they would be in the box-seat to coach any club that was looking for a new coach by then?

I don't think that would be a particularly appealing prospect for either of them.

As it is, they are both in the box-seat to coach clubs now. If they come to MFC and miss out that may paint them in a lesser light.

I also doubt we could afford to pay them what they are worth right now and I don't think they would agree to take a pay cut just so MFC can mull over their livelihood for 12 months+.

Edited by torpedo
  • Like 2

Nice theory Chook. But the answer is no. Remember the whole idea of the senior assistant is for someone to be groomed early and for the playing group to become accustom to them and vice versa. It's not a position where we can take 2 guys and let them battle it out. The senior assistant is to be the exact opposite of the Roos saviour role. It's to be someone well qualified and capable and then let them gain experience. It's to guarantee stability within the FD which we've badly missed.

I don't think that would be a particularly appealing prospect for either of them.

As it is, they are both in the box-seat to coach clubs now. If they come to MFC and miss out that may paint them in a lesser light.

I also doubt we could afford to pay them what they are worth right now and I don't think they would agree to take a pay cut just so MFC can mull over their livelihood for 12 months+.

Nice theory Chook. But the answer is no. Remember the whole idea of the senior assistant is for someone to be groomed early and for the playing group to become accustom to them and vice versa. It's not a position where we can take 2 guys and let them battle it out. The senior assistant is to be the exact opposite of the Roos saviour role. It's to be someone well qualified and capable and then let them gain experience. It's to guarantee stability within the FD which we've badly missed.

I agree with both of you. Unfortunately I'm the kind of person who throws out every idea he can think of in the interest of being thorough - which often makes me look like a person with no good ideas at all.

Edited by Chook
  • Like 3

Listening to Schwarz yesterday afternoon (not the greatest source, I admit) he said that he has info that we will bring in multiple assistants without annointing any single one as the successor.

Then they all get a chance to be the one that pushes his name forward as the most deserving, and the others get quality personal development in the process, and boosting their own profile and CV.

That will keep the fire in the belly of all assistants and prevent the media from repeatedly asking questions of just the one coach, ignoring the others.

A much better way of doing it IMO.

It would only create a point of conflict at the club, 2 people fighting for the same job. No matter how grounded Burns and Simpson are they will be looking for the edge and support will be split amongst the playing group. No more divisiveness at Melbourne thanks.

• Like 5

Looks like the successor will come from a team likely to play in the grand final. As Josh Mahoney alluded to in the 'Watts close to signing' article today.

So it looks like Burns may stay and take on the job at West Coast.

Leaving Simpson from Hawthorn or a smokey in Brett Kirk who is currently midfield coach at Freo and by all reports is still close to Paul Roos.

Possibly Tudor from Sydney too but less likely IMO.

Exciting times ahead!

Then they all get a chance to be the one that pushes his name forward as the most deserving,

Really hope this is how its done.

Was pretty shocked to hear Roos say that we would appoint the successor in the next couple of weeks.

Knew it couldn't be right

Geez I hope to god its not Kirk, great player and possibly a good development coach but I do not believe he would have the tactical nous & innovation to be a head coach.

Maybe not at the moment. But how do you think he would fair after 3 years with Paul Roos as his guide?

Geez I hope to god its not Kirk, great player and possibly a good development coach but I do not believe he would have the tactical nous & innovation to be a head coach.

On what exactly do you base that opinion? Kirk is a thinker, he was a tough, hard at it, clever footballer and in his life outside of football has been an ambassador for the sport who has traveled the planet promoting the game in less privileged communities and is now a midfield coach. In my opinion he would be a perfect fit and would be smart enough to take Roos lead.

• Like 1

IMO Adam Simpson is the absolute standout.

As much as I'm a Doc Holliday fan I cannot see Roos getting a group of assistants that all aspire to be head coach and then letting them have a gunfight O.K Corral style.

It just doesn't seem Roos' style. Roos has said and others within the club have continually stated that an understudy will be appointed for many reasons including assurance that the players know who the coach/s will be for potentially the next decade.

Stability (after years of confusion and mayhem) is paramount for this club to go forward and stay the course.

• Like 2

Really hope this is how its done.

Was pretty shocked to hear Roos say that we would appoint the successor in the next couple of weeks.

Knew it couldn't be right

You can be as shocked as you like but this is what is going to happen.

My thinking is the club didn't think the 3 available senior coaches (Eade, Williams and Craig) were the right fit going forward but didn't want the risk of appointing a first up coach at this time. The obvious solution if they could get it to happen was Roos as coach/mentor to the coach in waiting, they select both coaches (Roos & senior assistant) within a month from the end of the season. Simpson must have interviewed very well and with Ling ruling himself out would be favourite at this time unless he takes the Brisbane or West Coast job.

Edited by rjay
  • Like 2

Simpson has good pedigree:

- played in multiple flags under Pagan

- assistant coach under Clarkson whilst a dominant top 4 side (should've won a flag in 2012)

Slightly more impressive than Burns:

- got to 2 losing grand finals as a player

- assistant under Worsfold whilst they climbed the ladder from last to be flag favourites before imploding

• Like 1

I wonder what role the coach selection panel featuring David Parkin has had in all this "successor" selection process?

I think they may have identified some really strong "new coach" candidates and because the club had made it known we weren't going down that path some exceptional lateral thinking was done and we have our current situation. No rumours or club sources just my own view reading between the lines.

• Like 3