Your attendance at games is needed ...

You say you believe he is not doing a good job but he should be given the opportunity to complete his rebuild. Says it all really. According to Neeld the rebuild will not be complete at the end of the year and we should expect it to take another 5 years to be competitive. The club will be dead by then. I hope he's shown the door ASAP.

The rebuild would be complete this year... we are short quality mids and possibly one more defender. These will be brought in at the end of the year and then the improvement should begin. If you believe that sacking him now is going to achieve anything beyond fracturing the player group even more, and if you think that a caretaker coach is going to get any more improvement, then you are delusional.
  • Like 2

F me.

HT - I can't believe your trying to justify a comment about the worst season by digging up 1919. Surely that tells you how bad this side is going.

MS - you seem as petulant as 1/2 the team that runs out every week. Mummy Ben's doesn't want to play. Fairweather supporter - hope you have those two fingers warmed up for Monday. Jolly good show number 40.

I have missed my first home game (GC) , then my second (Hawks) for many years. Last week, I didn't even try to watch on tv . I had a great afternoon. Even if I lived an hour or less from the G , I still wouldn't have gone to the game.

I will go this week, but only because I was told that the team actually tried last week. A bit like the Richmond game - well 2/3 rds of it.

If more actually spoke up about the disgraceful decisions of this current board , the clueless coaches and inept players that really couldn't give a rats toss bag , the MFC might actually turn this around. But instead you guys actually believe it must be those supporters who have decided enough is enough that are to blame.

Anyhoo , I might go and watch the game on tv. Two teams I despise - but at least both will be having a go. Feel free to play amongst yourselves.

• Like 2

F me.

HT - I can't believe your trying to justify a comment about the worst season by digging up 1919. Surely that tells you how bad this side is going.

Well, for my part, I already explained the reason in a previous post... can't believe you didn't read more closely before passing comment.

You might want to get your facts right sunshine

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mark-neeld-says-he-needs-five-years-before-demons-will-be-competitive/story-fni5f91a-1226645973162

Actually, Neeld said 5 years from the start of his appointment, not from now, but don't let accuracy get in the way of your POV.

Nothing to do with it... a challenge to find a worse period was put up and so I took it up. No one believes Neeld is doing a good job, but some of us believe he should be given the opportunity to complete his rebuild (end of this year). No doubt people like Ben Her, yourself and a few others would have been leading the charge to have Bomber Thompson sacked had you been Geelong supporters at that time.

How can you possibly compare Bomber Thompson's early years to Neeld's ? They never finished bottom 4.

Christ you're thick.

Edited by Ben-Hur

F me.

MS - you seem as petulant as 1/2 the team that runs out every week. Mummy Ben's doesn't want to play. Fairweather supporter - hope you have those two fingers warmed up for Monday. Jolly good show number 40.

I have missed my first home game (GC) , then my second (Hawks) for many years. Last week, I didn't even try to watch on tv . I had a great afternoon. Even if I lived an hour or less from the G , I still wouldn't have gone to the game.

I will go this week, but only because I was told that the team actually tried last week. A bit like the Richmond game - well 2/3 rds of it.

If more actually spoke up about the disgraceful decisions of this current board , the clueless coaches and inept players that really couldn't give a rats toss bag , the MFC might actually turn this around. But instead you guys actually believe it must be those supporters who have decided enough is enough that are to blame.

Anyhoo , I might go and watch the game on tv. Two teams I despise - but at least both will be having a go. Feel free to play amongst yourselves.

Ah yes, the old hit and run..... What absolute garbage.

No one here is blaming the clubs situation on supporters who give up. But, not turning up to games hurts the club. Jackson has pointed towards this as a significant contributor to our coming debt. Whatever you think about the coach, players or board, the fewer that turn up the quicker we are to dying. I congratulate you on only missing a couple of matches. However, when one of the most vocal and opinionated members of 'land proves to be a fair weather supporter who does not attend anymore and would rather play golf, he deserves ridicule.

If you don't like that, go back to the TV.

• Like 1

No. Check your facts sunshine. In a presser last week Neeld said he was quoted out of context and was referring to 5 yrs from when he took over. But the point is moot, as who the f knows how long this mess will take to clear up, could be 10 yrs.

Did you express that view during the preseason when you were going to training and reporting here on it?

I'll always give the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. Reporting on training is merely reporting on training. It was a significant improvement to the year before, as they were clearly fitter and there was a bond among the group, but unfortunately you can't tell if a coach has his players by watching them train. It takes AFL games to do that.

I gave the Nutjob the benefit of the doubt until it became clear he's a madman. I backed Watts until it became clear he loathes competing. I backed the Board until I realised they'd dropped the ball. I supported Schwab until it became clear he was a major part of the problem. I don't insanely defend the indefensible. When things become clear I tend to acknowledge it. I don't hold on to a past view like there's no tomorrow when there's overwhelming evidence to the contrary. I'm quite prepared to admit when I'm wrong.

You'll be pleased to know there won't be any training reports next year.

• Like 1

One of the points made at this morning's Melbourne Business Community Breakfast by CEO Peter Jackson was that the club's financial bottom line is being impaired by poorer attendances than those for which the club had originally budgeted.

My view is that those supporters who are therefore shunning the club be it for whatever reason - the team's performance, the president, coach, players, football department, club psychologist, whatever ... it's not really helping the cause and making his role as CEO in restructuring and reviving the club all the more difficult.

I know it's a tough gig but we're not always going to be traveling as badly on field as we are at the present time. My view is that you can't claim to be a part of any future success if you don't support your club in times of difficulty.

We should be out there in force against Collingwood on Monday.

And here lies part of the problem. Fair enough, we have to address and entertain business sponsors (and/or potentials) and attempt to explain the dire situation we now find ourselves in. We need all the help and new sponsors we can get (and certainly have to encourage renewal from existing ones....good luck with that sell fellas!).

But where are the great "Leaders" of this club? Backing Neeld, backing the direction, asking for support and faith and fighting the good fight? Giving some hope that we are on track and why "they" believe, as insiders and people in positions of control/power, that we (Neeld & the FD) are headed in the right direction and to stick it out. The tide will turn, and it will turn because/when etc!!

Where are they? Fight for the club by getting in front of the footy media and spruik/sell/defend/explain why despondent and gutted supporters should continue to attend and not turn their backs. They might garner more respect, and possibly higher attendances from Melbourne members if they opened up, became more transperant and communicated/sold their/our position on the front foot and took the media circus head on for a change.

Members, who IMO, would have to be one of the most loyal bunch of supporters. Who should be given a medal of honor for having stuck with the club through so many average or sub par performances for the most part of 5 decades now.

Peter Jackson should be commended for his attempt to right the ship, albeit he will be getting well compensated for doing so, but the board and President have failed to defend/spruik/sell/communicate effectively to it's members IMO. Surely this is part of the President's role? To connect with the members, lead them and show some fight for the club during one of it's darkest moments.

That's not going to happen with speaches to exclusive brethren at paid up lunches once a week and and a few trite summaries of "The President Speaks" on the Demon website.

The attempt to connect (and method of delivery of its message) to the grass roots supporter base by this Board and its President have been dissapointing since McLardy took the reigns. Unfortunately, I've heard more passion to fight for the club's future success on mainstream press from an outsider in the last few days than i've heard from our own board/President since CS's sacking.

It is always dangerous to assume, but from the way this Board/President has conducted itself in the last 3 months or so, they are leaving me a strong impression (rightly or wrongly) that they have lost the passion/will to fight for this club.

As the great Bob Marley once sang and a late great of our club was heard to shout (unfortunately at another dire time in our checkered history)..... "Get up, Stand Up!!"

• Like 1

Bombers worst season at Geelong was 2006, they won 10 games. They way Neeld is going it will take him another 5 years to get to 10 career wins. 1 win over Essendon by 6 points (not counting expansion teams) in a year and a half is an absolute disgrace

How can you possibly compare Bomber Thompson's early years to Neeld's ? They never finished bottom 4.

Christ you're thick.

• Like 2

Bombers worst season at Geelong was 2006, they won 10 games. They way Neeld is going it will take him another 5 years to get to 10 career wins. 1 win over Essendon by 6 points (not counting expansion teams) in a year and a half is an absolute disgrace

Isn't unbelievable that the dolt would mention the name Bomber Thompson when referring to the nutjob Neeld.

Unfortunately that's the mentality of the debate on here.

Christ you're thick.

As I recall, he had a lot more to work with and yet the short sighted supporters were calling for his head - fortunately the board opted to allow him to complete his rebuild and the rest is history... as I said, if the likes of yourself were Geelong supporters, you would no doubt have been leading the mob on their witch hunt.

If you're not happy, then perhaps you should go and buy yourself a membership so that you are eligible to start your own takeover bid for the club's leadership... then you can do whatever you like and sack whoever you like. In the meantime, you are still nothing more and nothing less than a fair weather supporter.

And hey, I'm the first to admit I am not a particularly great footy brain, but perhaps you should take a long hard look at yourself... you seem to mistake your own arrogance for knowledge.

• Like 1

as I said, if the likes of yourself were Geelong supporters, you would no doubt have been leading the mob on their witch hunt.

Now you speculate on what I may, or may not have said for a club I don't even follow.

You're a self-serving fool, who ridiculously equated Thompson and Neeld. You're lame attempt at back peddling doesn't shield this stupid comparison.

I'll be there Monday. The problem is I'm a MFC tragic and I leave almost every week regretting my attendance. We are so boring to watch and it's really frustrating sitting in the AFL members section (I'm a club member too, like I said I'm a tragic) and listening to opposition supporters getting upset when they aren't 10 goals up by half time.

The round 1 loss this year was the turning point for a lot of our supporters. I've never felt that level of betrayal on mass before. I don't think I'll ever forget how frustrated and sad our supporters felt that day.

I used to go to the footy with my family and we'd sit amongst families of Melbourne supporters. Now I see a LOT of single men in their 50's and 60's who come by themselves. We knowingly nod at each other each week because we almost don't want to acknowledge that we are all here again alone. These people have families, and they just won't go anymore.

I go to support the team but I often leave wondering where our future is.

If only the MFC players had half as much passion on field as some of the guys in this topic when the MFC would be unstoppable!

• Like 2

Isn't unbelievable that the dolt would mention the name Bomber Thompson when referring to the nutjob Neeld.

Unfortunately that's the mentality of the debate on here.

Well, I am not alone in that comparison... it has been made by media pundits both respected and otherwise; so the fact that you choose to attempt to belittle me with your use of language doesn't particularly bother me in the slightest. It does however give me a fairly good insight into the maturity (or lack of) you bring to the debate. On another level, I'm not really sure what your choice of avatar is telling us about you, but there may be a direct correlation between that and your debating style (en masse)?

Ah yes, the old hit and run..... What absolute garbage.

No one here is blaming the clubs situation on supporters who give up. But, not turning up to games hurts the club. Jackson has pointed towards this as a significant contributor to our coming debt. Whatever you think about the coach, players or board, the fewer that turn up the quicker we are to dying. I congratulate you on only missing a couple of matches. However, when one of the most vocal and opinionated members of 'land proves to be a fair weather supporter who does not attend anymore and would rather play golf, he deserves ridicule.

If you don't like that, go back to the TV.

So .... basically blaming the supporters. This 'your either with us or against us' mentality is just so tiresome.Yawn.

Jackson should have been preaching the significant factors in the debt are :-

inept performances from the playing group

bent over and acceptance of Afl shaft after finding the MFC did not tank

Schwab's payout

questionable dealings with sponsors

disgraceful time slots for games

lack of communication with members

not being able to sell any hope

All of these items have led to poor attendances, which negatively impact the bottom line further. His message should then have been centered around what the club can do to sell hope and get people back. We should be demanding of our club to perform in all areas , not just be lemmings and go to games because.........

WJ - anyone who has been a member at any stage of the MFC is part of any success.

Great game by the way.

• Like 1

questionable dealings with sponsors

All of these items have led to poor attendances, which negatively impact the bottom line further. His message should then have been centered around what the club can do to sell hope and get people back. We should be demanding of our club to perform in all areas , not just be lemmings and go to games because.........

Not sure what the "questionable dealings with sponsors" you refer are. Care to elaborate?

Couldn't it be possible to attend games to show support for the players and to encourage them ( a good way to get better performances out of them), and take placards with messages directed towards the administration in order to get the message across to them directly... the media would be onto that like flies on stink. Supporters were happy to do that when directed at Scully, so why not do something similar to get the message across to the board?

And yes, if you are referring to the Carlton v Essendon game, that was a cracker. It has however really put the score reviewing system under the hot lights as in this case it has had a direct impact on the premiership points. It should have been a draw at worst and, if that point was disallowed, a one point victory for Carlton. Well at least that will take some heat off us in the press over the next few days I suppose.

I hope that at least you come by to visit here, if only to find out whether Dom Barry's hit the 70kg mark yet.

:lol:

If he's good enough it won't matter. Flower played the bulk of his career at 69. How much does Neade weigh ? If he's soft, like many of our lads, he won't make it.

• Like 1

Well, I am not alone in that comparison... it has been made by media pundits both respected and otherwise; so the fact that you choose to attempt to belittle me with your use of language doesn't particularly bother me in the slightest. It does however give me a fairly good insight into the maturity (or lack of) you bring to the debate. On another level, I'm not really sure what your choice of avatar is telling us about you, but there may be a direct correlation between that and your debating style (en masse)?

The avatar is a bit of fun. Nearly as much as exposing stupid comparisons from people that hear flippant comments from the media, rather than using their own cognitive processes.

I just want to clarify the thoughts behind this thread. It was to reiterate the comments of the new CEO to the effect that the club's financial position is being put under strain partly because lower attendances mean we won't be reaching budgeted figures.

Nobody is being forced to go to games if they don't have the stomach to watch or simply want to stay home and do the knitting or go out and play golf. It's their choice.

I did pass the opinion that a true supporter needs to follow their club through bad times as well as the good and IMO you're most entitled to enjoy good times if you stick with it through the bad. That doesn't mean you're not entitled to be critical of club policies or personnel.

It all reminds me very much of the Richmond supporter who rang SEN in a hysterical state after their loss to the Suns (the first time) saying that he'd just put his membership and that of his family in the microwave. He was just pleasing himself and those who don't want to support their club are entitled to stay away if they like.

I'll be there on Monday with my family nevertheless.