IRRELEVANT

old dee

I have waited 24 hours to see if my mood changed after the deflation of yesterday.

It basically has not changed.

I am just a bit more settled.

I Think what I witnessed was that for 4 of the last 6 six years the MFC has been irrelevant to the AFL Competition.

Again our season is over at the three quarter mark of the first game of the year.

From here on our major contribution to the competition will be comedy and derision by all other supporters.

IMO this club is headed down the tube at a rapid rate.

I will not be surprised if total failure as a member of the AFL is not fairly swift from here.

We have a team that has approx. eight players who are AFL standard.

And about four who have the required amount of heart for the job.

We have a board who kowtows to the AFL and accepts fines for a crime that was not committed.

We have a low number of supporters / members that is dropping by the day.

We will surely make a substantial loss this year.

Not a pretty picture that is for sure.

Now probably none of the above is news to most Dees supporters

but what it says to me is I think the end is near.

Going to the football is supposed to be fun.

There has been little fun for 6 years and none for 2 years.

Perhaps we will struggle on for another couple of years.

My problem is I do not believe I can take the pain any longer.

Please if there is a football God can she be swift in the execution of this once great club.

That way I can use the last 10 - 15 years of my leisure time on something enjoyable and useful.

In the mean time God helps us all!

Edited by old dee
  • Like 3

Just glad to know you're not climbing the Westgate fence OD...

No mate I am here till the bitter end.

My problem is enduring the slide to oblivion that the MFC is on.

My wife and daughter were pleading with me last night to give it up.

My daughter ( Essendon supporter ) said Dad we are not talking football next week.

Now is that not sad she thinks it is too painful for me.

My God she is a great daughter

No mate I am here till the bitter end.

My problem is enduring the slide to oblivion that the MFC is on.

My wife and daughter were pleading with me last night to give it up.

My daughter ( Essendon supporter ) said Dad we are not talking football next week.

Now is that not sad she thinks it is too painful for me.

My God she is a great daughter

I think that's why we hurt so much. Players and coaches are professionals, they love footy sure, but their loyalty is bought. We love our club and have no choice but to stand by it as it falls down around us.

• Like 1

I was also starting to wonder whether or not you had terminally immersed yourself in a vat of single malt

If only I had one bbo.

Actually did not have a drink.

Did not feel like wasting good whisky on this lot.

Single malt is supposed to be good fun but does fun does not fit in the same sentence as the MFC

Last week i would have criticised your parenting for not beating the notion of supporting Essendon out of your daughter. Now I fully support your wisdom.

I have told the story before BBo but basically as a ten year old she got tired of going to games that we lost.

Picked up with the Bombers and has seen Flags and far more wins that losses.

I was disappointed but cannot blame her.

Good to see you're alive and kicking OD.

Really difficult to dispute that. Hope is fading on this once mighty club, but while there's life, there's hope. The biggest problem I see is that the wrong people are trying to lead us out of the abyss.

I have told the story before BBo but basically as a ten year old she got tired of going to games that we lost.

Picked up with the Bombers and has seen Flags and far more wins that losses.

I was disappointed but cannot blame her.

That may be so od, but the penalty is she has to barrack for Essendon; I'd rather give up the game all together.

• Like 1

OK so, he we are again. Prior to yesterday, I was the least optimistic I have been over the last 10 years going in to a new season based primarily on our pre-season performances. At the back of my mind was the though that if, unlike other seasons, I expected the worst, I couldn't possibly be disappointed and that if I expected the worst, maybe I would be pleasantly surprised. Wrong on both counts..... I am terribly disappointed and I wasn't pleasantly surprised!!

We have yet to turn the corner and, in fact, plateauing would be greatly welcomed. We're actually playing worse. At least Toumpas looked annoyed with himself at not being able to make a significant contribution. Other, more experienced players didn't seem that bothered.

For me, the bottom line is still that the responsibility lies with the coaching panel (not just Neeld) in that they are not able to either describe the strategy in simple enough terms for the players to understand or execute it OR the coaches are unable to vary the approach when the strategy isn't working. They really have just one more year to show that they know what they are doing or they'll need to be moved on. They also must bear some responsibility for the way Garland & Frawley are playing. What's going on there? At least Joel Mc has heart & courage and his disposals are no worse that those two!

As an aside, Jack Watts performance was truly poor. I noticed that he wasn't at training on Thursday and wonder if he was ill??

OK so, he we are again. Prior to yesterday, I was the least optimistic I have been over the last 10 years going in to a new season based primarily on our pre-season performances. At the back of my mind was the though that if, unlike other seasons, I expected the worst, I couldn't possibly be disappointed and that if I expected the worst, maybe I would be pleasantly surprised. Wrong on both counts..... I am terribly disappointed and I wasn't pleasantly surprised!!

We have yet to turn the corner and, in fact, plateauing would be greatly welcomed. We're actually playing worse. At least Toumpas looked annoyed with himself at not being able to make a significant contribution. Other, more experienced players didn't seem that bothered.

For me, the bottom line is still that the responsibility lies with the coaching panel (not just Neeld) in that they are not able to either describe the strategy in simple enough terms for the players to understand or execute it OR the coaches are unable to vary the approach when the strategy isn't working. They really have just one more year to show that they know what they are doing or they'll need to be moved on. They also must bear some responsibility for the way Garland & Frawley are playing. What's going on there? At least Joel Mc has heart & courage and his disposals are no worse that those two!

As an aside, Jack Watts performance was truly poor. I noticed that he wasn't at training on Thursday and wonder if he was ill??

As another aside he could shave off that stupid beard (along with the others) and at least look as if he is serious.

• Like 1

Last week i would have criticised your parenting for not beating the notion of supporting Essendon out of your daughter. Now I fully support your wisdom.

I would like some suggestions to a similar predicament:

I have a 2.5 yr old daughter and my wife is a Blues supporter, should I continue with my constant bombardment of trying to talk my daughter into becoming a melb supporter (god knows why) with the hope that maybe one day they'll be ok. Or is this just cruel? After yesterday's performance I really don't know why I'd do it to her....

Please help!!!

I hope so because I am sick to the gut

I have a 2.5 yr old daughter and my wife is a Blues supporter, should I continue with my constant bombardment of trying to talk my daughter into becoming a melb supporter (god knows why) with the hope that maybe one day they'll be ok. Or is this just cruel? After yesterday's performance I really don't know why I'd do it to her....

Please help!!!

Do not force either on her. Let her eventually make up her mind.

Please help!!!

Stop the child cruelty Jman.

There is plenty of joy ahead at the blues.

Let her enjoy her childhood.

That may be so od, but the penalty is she has to barrack for Essendon; I'd rather give up the game all together.

From her view point she would say the same Robbie.

OK so, he we are again. Prior to yesterday, I was the least optimistic I have been over the last 10 years going in to a new season based primarily on our pre-season performances. At the back of my mind was the though that if, unlike other seasons, I expected the worst, I couldn't possibly be disappointed and that if I expected the worst, maybe I would be pleasantly surprised. Wrong on both counts..... I am terribly disappointed and I wasn't pleasantly surprised!!We have yet to turn the corner and, in fact, plateauing would be greatly welcomed. We're actually playing worse. At least Toumpas looked annoyed with himself at not being able to make a significant contribution. Other, more experienced players didn't seem that bothered.For me, the bottom line is still that the responsibility lies with the coaching panel (not just Neeld) in that they are not able to either describe the strategy in simple enough terms for the players to understand or execute it OR the coaches are unable to vary the approach when the strategy isn't working. They really have just one more year to show that they know what they are doing or they'll need to be moved on. They also must bear some responsibility for the way Garland & Frawley are playing. What's going on there? At least Joel Mc has heart & courage and his disposals are no worse that those two!As an aside, Jack Watts performance was truly poor. I noticed that he wasn't at training on Thursday and wonder if he was ill??

Agree with all, but remember when both Frawley and Garland had confidence and flair, and we loved seeing them out there. They were good and had the upside of maturity to come. Something has happened in the past 18 months to rob them of that, and I'm bloody sure it's whatever game plan or structures or system or WHATEVER you want to call it. They, and almost the entire team yesterday played without natural instinct, belief or freedom. It's like they've been overcoached, and are second guessing every aspect of their play. This second guessing is like some virus amongst the players, and thus their indecision creates a flat, slow, reactive approach. A literal bonanza of errors. I've said it on other threads, but there is absolutely NO DOUBT in my mind that whatever is going on with the coaching, it's coaching us to our death!

• Like 1

As another aside he could shave off that stupid beard (along with the others) and at least look as if he is serious.

My father used to say to me Robbie at least look like a footballer

Puopolo and Enright have really struggled today playing with beards...

Once Jack has made his mark I'd be happy for him to have one, but to date he's done nothing and looking like a [censored] ain't going to help.

Agree with all, but remember when both Frawley and Garland had confidence and flair, and we loved seeing them out there. They were good and had the upside of maturity to come. Something has happened in the past 18 months to rob them of that, and I'm bloody sure it's whatever game plan or structures or system or WHATEVER you want to call it. They, and almost the entire team yesterday played without natural instinct, belief or freedom. It's like they've been overcoached, and are second guessing every aspect of their play. This second guessing is like some virus amongst the players, and thus their indecision creates a flat, slow, reactive approach. A literal bonanza of errors. I've said it on other threads, but there is absolutely NO DOUBT in my mind that whatever is going on with the coaching, it's coaching us to our death!

More "lack of skilling us to our death"