Neeld on SEN this morning

Pates

Bailey got 3.5 years. At the time of his sacking we had nearly a 50% winning ratio and he still got the A. Did we jump the gun as a reaction to 186? I don't know. I don't care what happens this year, we MUST stick to out guns and give Neeld a 5 year window (at least) to build his side. If he is about 20-25% into that now I would say he is doing OK so far.

I think you had better brush up on your maths C and B. I think your 50% should be more like 25-30%.

I am a lot like OD. a very patient man. We have to be to have followed Melb. for over 50 years.

I'm all for Neeld trying to build an uncompromising team. The NEVER SAY DIE attitude that won us 6 flags in 10 years.

Remember back to 1988 & 2000 if we had have been uncompromising we would have made a game of it.

Instead we were SOFT. 1994 the team got ahead of themselves and WC smacked us as deserved.

That's why he keeps reminding us we need to play 4 quarters and not get blown away.

The days of winning finals with one Q. of football died in the 70's. For years we have been front runners and drop our heads once we are 2 goals behind.

Let's see the Dees just grind the opposition into submission, it doesn't matter if we win by 20 goals or 1 point, it's just finding a way to win.

If I saw 3 games like that this year then that would be the best I have seen for many years.

• Like 1

Year after year? You're tipping the Bulldogs and GC for the 8 this year? The clubs who were down the bottom last year are certainly going to be down the list this year as well. Adelaide last year is the exception that proves the rule. Our two captains have played around 50 games each - simply because there is no-one else at the club with more experience/games who's really capable of being a leader. Adelaide have and had the strong, experienced on-field leaders and performers that we just don't. They also had a much better fitness base than us, but that's another story.

No club, whoever they are, where a large part of the list is around or under 50 games, is ever going to dominate anything much over a sustained period. No-one on this board is trembling in their boots because of all the stars at GC or GWS ... we (rightfully in some respects) dismiss them as being "just kids". Yet much of our list is of similar age and experience as ours.

Look at what Neeld said the other day about Dawes and Clark regarding whether they'll play or not - he remarked that they had 6 or 7 solid pre-seasons behind them. Trengove doesn't, this was his third - or second full one. That has an impact, and a big impact, on what happens on the field during matches.

Turning around organisations and cultures Just Takes Time.

Don't suppose you're watching the Dogs right now binger? 40 points up against the Lions approaching halftime and dominating every stat.

Excuses are all well and good, but effort and belief should never be underestimated.

Don't suppose you're watching the Dogs right now binger? 40 points up against the Lions approaching halftime and dominating every stat.

Excuses are all well and good, but effort and belief should never be underestimated.

THANKYOU.

WAS THINKING EXACTLY THE SAME THING

No excuse tomorrow, or all season for that matter. We have had 6 years of rubbish. Enough.

• Like 2

I am a lot like OD. a very patient man. We have to be to have followed Melb. for over 50 years.

I'm all for Neeld trying to build an uncompromising team. The NEVER SAY DIE attitude that won us 6 flags in 10 years.

Remember back to 1988 & 2000 if we had have been uncompromising we would have made a game of it.

Instead we were SOFT. 1994 the team got ahead of themselves and WC smacked us as deserved.

That's why he keeps reminding us we need to play 4 quarters and not get blown away.

The days of winning finals with one Q. of football died in the 70's. For years we have been front runners and drop our heads once we are 2 goals behind.

Let's see the Dees just grind the opposition into submission, it doesn't matter if we win by 20 goals or 1 point, it's just finding a way to win.

If I saw 3 games like that this year then that would be the best I have seen for many years.

Not a bad post Chippy. I think what we have in Neeld is a coach that's seen the best of it at the Pies and then the worst of it in his first year with us last season.

Personally i believe this puts Neeld in a great position to know where to take this club in terms of the infrastructure required, fitness levels and professionalism at all levels. At least in terms of what he's in charge of and able to control as well as the amount of resources provided to him by the club ($ & personell) versus other clubs. Obviously the Pies would have a much greater spend within the FD versus us so he is no doubt behind the eight ball a little in this area (in a direct comparison against the Pies anyway).

I also believe he's the ideal man for preparing this club to be "ready" to launch itself into matching it with the big boys in the AFL within 2 to 3 years from now. SUBJECT TO..... getting our draft/trade selections right and running a successful development program that can take many of the young recruits to another level as well as get the best out of the more senior crew.

I also felt Danners was quite good at the "off field" preperation of players pre match, but IMHO not so good with selection/match day strategy and tactics.

I'm fully confident that MN is getting the preperation/training/fitness side right, setting us up to match it with the big boys fairly soon. As for the selection/game day abilities i guess time will tell.

The question is do we have the personell ready to meet what's going to be asked of them, and are MN (NC etc) able to set us up (selection wise) for match day and most importantly MOTIVATE these boys into competing every moment of every quarter to the best they can?

I think we have to demand and expect a much higher standard from many of the boys this year, particularly those that have approx 80+ games under their belt already. We've had 2 pre-seasons under MN now and the injection of some more experienced players into the club means we should be able to not only compete with but win against lowly teams like Port , GCS, GWS, the Lions both at home and away as well as the doggies and the Blues (at least at the G anyway).

To me this is where the 7 to 8 wins (at least) should be coming from. Anything less (at worst close losses under say 2 goals to the Lions/Doggies away) against these lessor lights would be a major disspointment. A pass this year IMO, is winning most of these matches. A big bonus if we beat anyone else anywhere else at this point. Although i'm more than happy to take extra wins of course and would hope we can pull out a few against a few other Vic clubs. I'd also expect us to win at least 1 interstate match this year against even a half decent team (away) like the Lions.

While skill levels and maintaining structures (no injuries/fitness/footy smarts etc) will be critical, motivation, old fashioned G&T and the will to win (both as a team and as individuals) will also be major factors in a must win game for this club tomorrow.

1 win or loss wont make a season for any club, but i think tomorrow is critical for this club's confidence for the remainder of the year.

For a "winning" culture to emerge at this club and and to have any momentum at the start of this season, we must beat teams like Port at home. The time for excuses against these lowly clubs is over!

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 2