Honestly will we finish last this year?

Dee1987

Not to turn this into a Jack Viney thread, but Sheedy will lose nothing by bidding on Jack Viney and us passing on him. If GWS were to bid that he is worth a first rounder, they would be able to take Viney with their first second round pick before we got to him. By all reports Viney is worth a high first round pick, so GWS would actually benefit from us not taking him 2nd overall.

So if they bid on viney with the 1st pick my thought was that they have got to use the 1st pick.?

Guest José Mourinho

I think we're seriously gearing up for big run in after the bye.

I'm tipping 6 or 7 wins in the 2nd half of the season.

Not to turn this into a Jack Viney thread, but Sheedy will lose nothing by bidding on Jack Viney and us passing on him. If GWS were to bid that he is worth a first rounder, they would be able to take Viney with their first second round pick before we got to him. By all reports Viney is worth a high first round pick, so GWS would actually benefit from us not taking him 2nd overall.

Also, not wanting to get sidetracked on JV, but I'm pretty sure you are wrong. And by pretty sure, I mean 99.99999999999999999999%.

As the F/S nominating team, we can use our next pick, but as one of the other teams, they would have to use the pick they nominate.

No, they have to use their next pick so they would essentially be gaining the equivalent to to top 5 picks.

If we finish second last and GWS put in a bid for Viney it will have to be their number one pick not a first round pick if they want him.

If they bid on him they have to nominate a pick number and we have to take him with our next pick after their bid or decline and they can take him they can only do that with pick 1.

Also, not wanting to get sidetracked on JV, but I'm pretty sure you are wrong. And by pretty sure, I mean 99.99999999999999999999%.

As the F/S nominating team, we can use our next pick, but as one of the other teams, they would have to use the pick they nominate.

If we finish second last and GWS put in a bid for Viney it will have to be their number one pick not a first round pick if they want him.

If they bid on him they have to nominate a pick number and we have to take him with our next pick after their bid or decline and they can take him they can only do that with pick 1.

Hmm alright I must misunderstand the system then...I've read several different versions of it so was pretty sure it was the way I'd stated. Assuming you're right, which it sounds like you are, GWS would be mad to bid for him if they think don't think that he is worth a #1 pick.

Anyway, off the topic of JV. I think Melbourne will be bottom 3 with GC and GWS. The wooden spoon could go to any of those 3 and it's really going to depend on who comes out on top when we play those teams.

I see your point but im just interested in who the best mids are because we are playing that bad that i need something to look forward to mate.

And dont think we need to tank and would never ever want the club to do so again.

Look what happen last time.

i just like following the kid's coming through cheers

Wasn''t having a go Jim, I also never want to tank teach these boys to be hard and want to win every game , while making opposition supporters think f#%k we have those hard ba#%ards from Melbourne this week.

Think it was Adam Farr who said we are not that far from where the Tigers are at, a couple of good mids to go in with Jones, Trenners, a fit Gysberts, Viney and another pre season or two.

Iregularly watch the WAFL kids and a lot have been held back till after U/18's so will keep you posted on any ones I rate and some late bloomers

That's not how it works.

If GWS bid pick 1 and we refuse, then they have to use pick 1.

Not that it will be an issue. We'll get Viney with pick 3, and then have pick 4 and 12ish to use in the draft.

As for Viney being a high first round pick ....... according to whom? Almost all of the internet experts (because that's all we have to go on so far - it's not exactly gospel!!) have him top 5 (at worst). Knightmare on BigFooty, who has done the most comprehensive phantom draft so far has him ranked 4th overall (including O'Meara, who is already at Gold Coast). So that makes him top 3 in the draft.

He's good. Whatever pick we use will be worth it because he's the best player in the draft as far as winning contested footy and clearances. It's a non-issue. The only issue is where our compensation pick will be.

Edit: It appears that I am as slow as treacle.

Edited by Axis of Bob
  • Like 2

I wish for us to finish last*. It beats finishing 16th and having to pay a first round pick for Viney.

If we're going to suck, and we are, might as well make the most of it.

Bring on sweet sweet draft picks and Jack Viney for a second rounder.

Let us at least excel at being horrible and get some gun midfielders out of it. Plus first pick in the PSD which is bound to have at least one "free agency case gone horribly wrong".

*I do not endorse tanking. Finishing last must be a natural by-product of being crap.

Edited by Jaded

No way Viney would get through to GWS second round pick. And we would pick him up at 12 before that anyway.

That's not how it works.

If GWS bid pick 1 and we refuse, then they have to use pick 1.

Not that it will be an issue. We'll get Viney with pick 3, and then have pick 4 and 12ish to use in the draft.

As for Viney being a high first round pick ....... according to whom? Almost all of the internet experts (because that's all we have to go on so far - it's not exactly gospel!!) have him top 5 (at worst). Knightmare on BigFooty, who has done the most comprehensive phantom draft so far has him ranked 4th overall (including O'Meara, who is already at Gold Coast). So that makes him top 3 in the draft.

He's good. Whatever pick we use will be worth it because he's the best player in the draft as far as winning contested footy and clearances. It's a non-issue. The only issue is where our compensation pick will be.

Edit: It appears that I am as slow as treacle.

Yep, beaten to it, haha

Just to clarify, by high first round pick I mean 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. A low pick would be 16, 17, 18 etc.

Said it before, last, anything above will b fantastic.........small steps......we struggle to kick goals, so lets set easy goals to achieve. Damned if I can see 5/6 wins, 1 would b a start.

Yep, beaten to it, haha

Just to clarify, by high first round pick I mean 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. A low pick would be 16, 17, 18 etc.

Ah, fair enough. There seemed to be a feeling a little while ago on these boards that Viney was a mid first round pick, probably due to general supporter negativity during a period of poor performances. I did find a quote from that same poster about Viney's position in this draft:

"Viney is a CLEAR top 5 quality player this year in my mind. If I had pick 1 I would very much consider him if I was looking for a hard mid and heck if I had pick 2 I'd probably take him. You've got a bargain no matter where you finish. Will add allot to that Melbourne midfield."

I look at 53-25 clearances today and then think about Jack Viney. It helps.

• Like 1

Ah, fair enough. There seemed to be a feeling a little while ago on these boards that Viney was a mid first round pick, probably due to general supporter negativity during a period of poor performances. I did find a quote from that same poster about Viney's position in this draft:

"Viney is a CLEAR top 5 quality player this year in my mind. If I had pick 1 I would very much consider him if I was looking for a hard mid and heck if I had pick 2 I'd probably take him. You've got a bargain no matter where you finish. Will add allot to that Melbourne midfield."

I look at 53-25 clearances today and then think about Jack Viney. It helps.

He's definitely the type we need, and despite his broken jaw, the time that he will have spent training with the MFC and playing with Casey will be invaluable.

Guest José Mourinho

Yep, beaten to it, haha

I prefer to use the terms "early" and "late" to avoid confusion.

I think we're seriously gearing up for big run in after the bye.

I'm tipping 6 or 7 wins in the 2nd half of the season.

Love your optimism there Jose.....

I only hope and wish and pray you are proven to be right :) !!!

Edited by QueenC

Guest José Mourinho

Love your optimism there Jose.....

I only hope and wish and pray you are proven to be right :) !!!

With the easier opponents we'll get more freedom and opportunity to implement our gameplan, and gain confidence in it.

We'll lessen the training load and the wins will come.

I bloody hope.

• Like 2

I agree he would have been great but the power's we support saw a diffrent path wich was wrong.

Now he hate's the club i love so guess what i hate him and all demon's should hate this turd.

Always hated him. An arrogant [censored], whose best is well, well past him.

• Like 1

With the easier opponents we'll get more freedom and opportunity to implement our gameplan, and gain confidence in it.

We'll lessen the training load and the wins will come.

I bloody hope.

Don't we all Jose, don't we all......

Nope.

GWS will fade horrendously in the second half of the year. Might not win another game, maybe only one.

GC is poor, no better than us. They will only win 1-3 games max.

We will win a similar amount, maybe 4 if we play well against GWS x 2 and GC, and then snag a win against Port or Brisbane or something. Unlikely, of course, and we'll probably end up on 3, but that should have us above GWS and GC probably too.

GWS are run by cold-blooded reptiles like Allan.

There is no way they will not finish with the first pick in the draft.

GC have been awful and we play both at the G and will most likely face a GWS in Canberra that will be 'decimated' by injury...

We will be out tanked if we try it.

• Like 1

We'll win 4 games and finish 16th is my prediction.

Which picks would that net us at the draft?

It depends on any comp picks that may be awarded but Pick 3, 4, 12ish, and 24ish. Viney will most likely go at 3 unless we get creative and GWS and GC are receptive to deals.