Why did Mark pick us?

PaulRB

Adelaide just pole axed the Blues (gotta love that) and sit in second spot.

Mark could have coached them instead of us (if you believe some reports from last year), so what made him pick us instead of the Crows?

What did he see?

Anyone?

Mark could have coached them instead of us (if you believe some reports from last year), so what made him pick us instead of the Crows?

What did he see?

Anyone?

We are a Melbourne based team? <Sic>

• Like 1

Lets assume he picked us over Adelaide (for the sake of this thread).

Why?

Edited by PaulRB

He took a huge promotion for 3 times what he was earning as an assistant. The club wanted an answer from him quickly so they could act on other free coaches if he was going to drag it out.

He hardly 'choose' us as much as we brought into the talk of potential new coaches that swirls around every year. It's a no brainer to take a snr coaching gig. It's fulfillment of your aspiration. Anyone who wanted to do so would jump on it.

At what point can we put this down to another bad recruiting decision? Surely we can pin this on Barry Prendergast? ;-)

Edited by The heart beats true

Why did we pick him? That's what i want to know?

We will never know the detail, but he had been involved with sustained successful clubs at various levels, including the ultimate, and was specifically the midfield coach of a team with a top rate midfield .... we thought we had talented mids who just maybe needed tweaking.....and don't forget his appointment was widely welcomed here on that basis.

It just hasn't clicked....as yet.

I think the story that Neeld picked us over Adelaide and the Bulldogs was put out there but the Mark Neeld Publicity Machine that was in full effect for the 2nd half of last season.

Both those clubs seem to be going pretty well with their choices I reckon - wonder if we interviewed either of them?

Edited by dee_star

What did he see?

Anyone?

Perhaps he thinks we've got the makings of a very good list. I do too.

He took a huge promotion for 3 times what he was earning as an assistant. The club wanted an answer from him quickly so they could act on other free coaches if he was going to drag it out.

He hardly 'choose' us as much as we brought into the talk of potential new coaches that swirls around every year. It's a no brainer to take a snr coaching gig. It's fulfillment of your aspiration. Anyone who wanted to do so would jump on it.

At what point can we put this down to another bad recruiting decision? Surely we can pin this on Barry Prendergast? ;-)

In about two years. Until then, it's way too hard to judge.

Why did we pick him? That's what i want to know?

And you call me a poor fan - and then post this uninformed dribble...

Edited by Norm Smith's Curse

Malthouse thought our list was ready to explode (he also recently said that Essendon were flag favourite and has paintings of himself all over his house).

Edited by Norm Smith's Curse

He doesn't want to grow a mullet.

He's on the right track,dropping Bate,Dunn,Petterd,Bail and Joel Mac,all for good i hope-none are AFL standard.

This week i hope he drops Sylvia & Green with Davey and Moloney on 3 game notice up until the bye.

The only role left for Davey is forward pocket,where it all began-he invented forward pressure and every club copied.he doesn't leave a 20 metre arc,if this fails,GONE.

Blease comes in and busts a gut all game,i'm stoked with Sam,get rid od the old and bring in the hungry new a la Tom Couch,can't wait for his debut,he'll be so hungry as it's his one chance at AFL level.

Jack Watts plays ON the CHB every week with Rivers the +1 to support Jack at every contest.Where the CHB goes,Jack goes.

I'm behind Neeldy all the way,although i didn't agree with the boundary line gameplan,too predictible,we must use the whole ground and play on every chance like Bombers/Crows.

We are already in the shiz. I think its time to make a stand to change the culture of the club for the future. make the hard decisions that might hurt now but will be for our betterment in years to come.

• Like 1

He was conned.

How so?

We have showered him with resources that DB and ND would have only dreamed about.

I assume you're suggesting he was conned by our list, but f he misjudged our list that speaks to his footy judgement, doesn't it?

We are already in the shiz. I think its time to make a stand to change the culture of the club for the future. make the hard decisions that might hurt now but will be for our betterment in years to come.

Quick & Clean make it.

We need to separate the weeds out, before they infest more of the crop.

Just saw this on the Age:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/deecision-on-the-run-20120521-1z1di.html

So the assertion is that he picked us because we moved first. The other assertion - without it being explicit - is that the other clubs were probably not going to select him (and that Melbourne were the only ones that did not do some testing).

It annoys me no end that the club would even say that we were in a hurry to appoint someone. It undermines the appointment, no matter if it is true. We should just say we were rapt to get him, think he is the best thing for the club and thats it. Why do we open ourselves up to interpretive journalism that when crafted the way Carro puts it (accurate or not) makes us look like we are amatuers playing against professionals.

I reckon we remain steadfast in our support for Neeldy and make sure we rid this club of pea hearted wimps. Football is a tough industry, losing is hard, life is hard. Lets learn from everything and get bloody better.

• Like 2