Everyone Stand Up And Applaud Mark Neeld

Range Rover

Had a cushy job at a successful club. Could have stayed there for a few more years. Could have chosen an easier option like Adelaide or St Kilda but no he came to the basket case that was/is the MFC and has staked his entire fledgling coaching career on turning around the Titanic.

He's been prepared to put self-satisfied noses out of joint, sack ineffectual leaders, drop soft no. 1 draft picks and most importantly completely dismantle a useless game plan that would have seen us fold under the first sign of trouble in a final.

And he's prepared to get flogged week-in week-out, enduring the inevitable calls for his sacking by supporters fearful of change, in order to get the job done.

Hard as f..!k this bloke and I for one stand up and applaud him for having the cojones to put his own future in the game on the line in order to turn this joint into what for most of the past 47 years it has only ever been masquerading as ... and that's a football club.

I'm backing him in come hell or high water.

141318-mark-neeld.jpg

• Like 38

I feel very sorry for him really. As you say he could be at Adelaide now and he chose us and our players have repaid him with dismall efforts at times.

I have questioned a few of the decisions that he has made, but time will tell and I think there is probably more to some of the decisions than I can see from my lounge chair. What I want the club to do is now give him 100% support. We are at rock bottom, he believes he can take us somewhere, lets hope he is right.

Edited by Norm Smith's Curse

Guest José Mourinho

I feel very sorry for him really. As you say he could be at Adelaide now and he chose us and our players have repaid him with dismall efforts at times.

I have questioned a few of the decisions that he has made, but time will tell and I think there is probably more to some of the decisions than I can see from my lounge chair. What I want the club to do is now give him 100% support. We are at rock bottom, he believes he can take us somewhere, lets hope he is right.

I don't feel sorry for him at all.

He knew it was going to be a challenge, and is up for the challenge.

He wouldn't want your pity, nor should he.

Rover, I am glad he has ticked all your high standards of achievement.

..... most importantly completely dismantle a useless game plan that would have seen us fold under the first sign of trouble in a final.

Thank God he has kept out of a final

Choosing us might be just one error of judgement he has made. Cant see the need for pity. He may have self regret.

I hope the Board does give him 100% support given they appointed him 6 months ago and spent big on development and a high priced recruit.

I dont agree. I think he and many thought our list was better than perhaps its turned out to be. Once he took the job it was only then that he realised how messed up the club was (Malthouse's comments).

But it takes balls to take on a harder task with the possibility of ruining a coaching career (like daniher, Balme and Bailey)

I dont agree. I think he and many thought our list was better than perhaps its turned out to be. Once he took the job it was only then that he realised how messed up the club was (Malthouse's comments).

Thats not true. Neeld has said in I/V that as part of his Board presentation for the role he did a frank and honest assessment of evert member of the playing list. Given the debacle we had in 2011 and then 186, it is a fantasy that an opposition coach does not have a good insight into the list.

The issues that Neeld has unfortunately had to deal with is the extent of the off field dysfunctionality, death of Stynes, Jurrah machete incident, the MIsfud farce and the uncertainty over MFC's sponsorship. The last one he could have developed as insightful perspective on through proper due diligence.

But it takes balls to take on a harder task with the possibility of ruining a coaching career (like daniher, Balme and Bailey)

Every applicant to a coaching role takes that risk. It comes with the job.

• Like 1

I wasnt responding to your post.

Do you think that the potential coach who had the most negative opinion of our list got offered the job? And my point was mainly about the off-field organisation of the club and about it being about 'everything but football', etc.

Had a cushy job at a successful club. Could have stayed there for a few more years. Could have chosen an easier option like Adelaide or St Kilda but no he came to the basket case that was/is the MFC and has staked his entire fledgling coaching career on turning around the Titanic.

He's been prepared to put self-satisfied noses out of joint, sack ineffectual leaders, drop soft no. 1 draft picks and most importantly completely dismantle a useless game plan that would have seen us fold under the first sign of trouble in a final.

And he's prepared to get flogged week-in week-out, enduring the inevitable calls for his sacking by supporters fearful of change, in order to get the job done.

Hard as f..!k this bloke and I for one stand up and applaud him for having the cojones to put his own future in the game on the line in order to turn this joint into what for most of the past 47 years it has only ever been masquerading as ... and that's a football club.

With respect RR, how do you know he 'Could have chosen an easier option like Adelaide or St Kilda'?

• Like 1

141318-mark-neeld.jpg

Silly post.

I back him too, but he had a mandate to make the hard decisions (I didn't expect any less) and every "would be" coach in the country takes on an AFL job if given the opportunity.

141318-mark-neeld.jpg

I am tipping you are into self flagellation.

Silly post.

I back him too, but he had a mandate to make the hard decisions (I didn't expect any less) and every "would be" coach in the country takes on an AFL job if given the opportunity.

The thread/post is a supportive response to weak-kneed posters calling for his sacking on other threads.

A mandate from the board is one thing. To actually walk into the joint and do what he's doing without flinching, that takes balls of steel.

• Like 4

Do you think that the potential coach who had the most negative opinion of our list got offered the job? And my point was mainly about the off-field organisation of the club and about it being about 'everything but football', etc.

I said Neeld was saying on 3aw "frank and honest". It may not have been the most negative.

If Neeld was not asking questions regarding the off field aspects of the Club given the debacle of matters leading to and post 186 then he has himself to blame.

I am not sure if he had a choice of Clubs to go to last year but I would love to know why he chose MFC if he did.

No, it doesn't.

Agree. Its part of his job.

I will give neeld time and support but i will not keep putting faith in a board that keeps serving up crap. They said they would get the best coach there was. well ross lyon,Rodney eade,Mick malthouse,Paul roos,Choco williams are all great coaches that are proven and this board once again took a risk like dean bailey and got a rookie so the board have got to take the heat if we fail again. Mark neeld talks well but im waiting for the results and im running out of faith

• Like 2

I'm with you RR.

I have said this before and I am lucky to have more insight to the internal workings of the club than most.

It does take balls of steel to do what he is doing. The size of this task again cannot be limited to the outcomes we all see on the field.

Bailey certainly couldn't do what Neeld has done.

Every week these knee jerk emotional reactions to losses fail to consider the holistic point of view around everest that the club has in front of it.

Its easy to get caught up in week to week emotional responses and much, much harder to stay the course and have a long term view. (Here come the posters telling me they have been waiting since Norm Smith was sacked how much longer blah blah blah)

Well fair enough we are all frustrated and bloody unhappy deep into our veins but if we are to go anywhere we need to let this man build the foundations of this club ground up.

Unfortunately people seem to go into meltdown, disown the club, not renew memberships, call for sackings and question all his decisions being incompetent. He is one preseason and 7 games in. No other coach has ever had so much expected of them in such a short period of time.

Let Mark Neeld do what we need him most to do. Once again I urge you to continue to support the coach and the club.

Edited by Footynut
  • Like 12

I will give neeld time and support but i will not keep putting faith in a board that keeps serving up crap. They said they would get the best coach there was. well ross lyon,Rodney eade,Mick malthouse,Paul roos,Choco williams are all great coaches that are proven and this board once again took a risk like dean bailey and got a rookie so the board have got to take the heat if we fail again. Mark neeld talks well but im waiting for the results and im running out of faith

So you are running out of faith within 7 games with a side you know is rubbish?

How is that logical?

How long before you want change 8, 9, 10, 11 weeks?

Stay the course. We are all unhappy and angry but you need to maintain faith this time. I know you have done this before but Mark knows he only has one shot. Believe me if anyone can do this - he can.

• Like 2

Kahuna's ? To take on a head coaching job ?

They either remain an assistant on way less money or take the job of a head coach on about 3 - 5 times more money . Often with a 3 year guarantee . Sympathy for any coaches , any time , is misguided . Go and join the general workforce if you can't handle being a head coach . Oh , and be prepared for a bit of a paycut .

Coaches get well remunerated for their time . At least 6-7 times the average Australian wage and up to 15 times this amount . And there is a fairly good life after coaching . They're not forced to do it .

At the moment all Neeld has proven is that we don't know if he can coach or not . His game plan is ridiculous and won't work . It's only a matter of time before somebody in the media will take his outdated game plan to task . And then watch all the others jump in like vultures . Hardest team to play against ? What an absolute joke . Now , he might or should get much better . I hope so , but only those with blind faith will guarantee that .

Pressure needs to be put on Neeld . It should have happened after round 2 . He needs to abandon this game plan altogether and start again . I hope he's not too stubborn to change . All our attacking flair and creativity has vanished . Our teamwork is virtually non existant . That is Neeld's fault . The buck stops with him , as it should . I'm not calling for his head but he needs to lift his game .

The players don't get off the hook . Only Clark , Jones , Magner and maybe Bartram , Howe , McKenzie , McDonald and Rivers have had acceptable years so far . The rest are either way below form , injured or not good enough .

Edited by Macca
  • Like 4