Leadership group announced; Grimes and Trengove co-captains

Striker475

who here cares what Sheahan thinks?

his job is to sell newspapers

Yeah, but it doesn't mean he is not on to something.

But I think the training reports on here, as slanted as they can be, have definitely been less than glowing of Davey so it isn't like this is news to us.

I thought it was interesting reading when Neeld said that it was the hardest job to tell the players who had missed out on being retained on the leadership groupand that they all took it differently. I would have thought that Beamer would have taken it the hardest, Greeny may have realised that he is more important to the Club without the leaders weight on his shoulders, Davey maybe a few truths hurt and Rivers - not sure.

What we may see from afar may be different from what actually happens behind closed doors. If players have a modicum of smarts then they will know that when you change the Coach and FD all cards are on the table.

But as rpfc has pointed out there seems from reports a lack of mojo about the way Davey has gone about things. Hope its not more of the petulant 2011 performances.

Colin Sylvia is not in the leadership group and once again is seemingly showing great potential (as he always does) for a big season... Has not had it yet.

IMO, the two people Sheahan may have been talking about would be Davey and Rivers. Even more so that he did not mention Green. If Green has taken the loss of the captaincy in his stride then its a good test of character.

Do you ever go to training.Sylvia has hardly been on the track-let alone showing great potential.He won't even play the first game or second.Will be at Casey for a few.

I'm not too sure about this business of effectively having only one captain if there's only one of them on the park. Case in point being last year when Grimes barely took the field, yet his leadership was looked upon as strong enough to win the leadership award at the B&F. Goes to show just how much work captains and leaders do behind the scenes that we are not privvy to, and might go along way to explaining why certain players weren't picked this year. It is not just the leadership that we see that makes a good and effective leader.

Side-lined leadership is fine. Bit if you were trying to get in the ones and had been told you had missed out as there was a player who had been picked instead because of his Leadershop qualities you would accept it graciously only if it was fine-line on ability and skill.

If it was more clear cut that you had better form, how would you feel?

Because you couldnt complain else people may reflect you did not possess "leadership skills"...

This very thing may occur in our half back line before we get very far into the season.

Fragile( in body and mind)

How is that?

Save for a pathetically disappointing 2011 he has been a very consistent performer in one of the worst teams in recent memory, in one of the worst midfields in 'old growth forest' memory.

Nearly 900 touches, over 160 tackles, 16 brownlow votes, and a Bluey in the previous two years to 2011 tells me that he has served this footy club quite well and I wouldn't put it past him to recapture that form.

Whatever his issues today, he is an incredibly skilled player who worked his arse off to move from a damaging small forward into a very good midfielder.

You don't just dismiss what he has done after one poor season.

Do you ever go to training.Sylvia has hardly been on the track-let alone showing great potential.He won't even play the first game or second.Will be at Casey for a few.

*Sarcasm meter* not working.

The comment was tongue in cheek about Sylvia who always shows great potential but....

How is that?

Save for a pathetically disappointing 2011 he has been a very consistent performer in one of the worst teams in recent memory, in one of the worst midfields in 'old growth forest' memory.

Nearly 900 touches, over 160 tackles, 16 brownlow votes, and a Bluey in the previous two years to 2011 tells me that he has served this footy club quite well and I wouldn't put it past him to recapture that form.

Whatever his issues today, he is an incredibly skilled player who worked his arse off to move from a damaging small forward into a very good midfielder.

You don't just dismiss what he has done after one poor season.

All of what you say is true rpfc.

But what is the problem at present.

Is he injured?

Why do we seem to be getting a lot of mutterings that he is on the outer with the FD.

After 2011 you would imagine that he would be trying to make every post a winner but that is not what I smell.

Sometimes players drop off quickly.

I fear that is what is happeneing to Davey.

Any thoughts?

All of what you say is true rpfc.

But what is the problem at present.

Is he injured?

Why do we seem to be getting a lot of mutterings that he is on the outer with the FD.

After 2011 you would imagine that he would be trying to make every post a winner but that is not what I smell.

Sometimes players drop off quickly.

I fear that is what is happeneing to Davey.

Any thoughts?

It doesn't look good, but I was challenging the idea that we should 'cut our losses' (paraphrasing) rather than the idea he has a challenge ahead of him.

He can do it, we want him to do it, now it is up to him.

Guest Jackie

It doesn't look good, but I was challenging the idea that we should 'cut our losses' (paraphrasing) rather than the idea he has a challenge ahead of him.

He can do it, we want him to do it, now it is up to him.

He was one of my favourite players and I was even cheering for him to be captain a couple of years ago. Last season he not only hit the wall but crossed to the other side and I don't think he is coming back. Such a huge disappointment. So far IMO there has been no indication of him remotely embracing any personal challenge to uplift himself other than doing what he he's got to do to continue collecting his fat salary.

Edited by Jackie

He was one of my favourite players and I was even cheering for him to be captain a couple of years ago. Last season he not only hit the wall but crossed to the other side and I don't think he is coming back. Such a huge disappointment. So far IMO there has been no indication of him remotely embracing any personal challenge to uplift himself other than doing what he he's got to do to continue collecting his fat salary.

Excellent sentiment from an 'unabashed fan.'

Long term fat contracts i never like. Takes the edge of a person's hunger and performance. GW$ could well see it very soon with a certain per$on. "why keep striving when you have made it to a very nice place?"

Mark Neeld is not responsible for any MFC contract dealings apart from Mitch Clark. If the Flash has lost his spark then Neeld will pump time into a young prospect.

Guest Jackie

Excellent sentiment from an 'unabashed fan.'

Your opinions are only for value in weight of numbers. Like what was it? 1000 and more posts in "I believe in Tom". Too little substance spread thinly, far and wide.

Edited by Jackie

I don't buy into the theory that someone who is on bgood coin can lose an interest in football just because they are "getting paid" so to speak- surely the competitive nature that bought them to the highest level in the land doesn't just vanish. Something else could be wrong.

Do you know Davey personally, do you know what issues he has in his life? Or are you branding him a sooky money grabber on your outsiders perspective?

I don't buy into the theory that someone who is on bgood coin can lose an interest in football just because they are "getting paid" so to speak- surely the competitive nature that bought them to the highest level in the land doesn't just vanish. Something else could be wrong.

Do you know Davey personally, do you know what issues he has in his life? Or are you branding him a sooky money grabber on your outsiders perspective?

I am not branding him with anything. It is just human nature, and i am sorry his game against St.kilda last year still leaves me cold. That is not rhe game of a hungry player. If he was injured he should not have played. Once you cross the boundry white line all players are equal fair game. Edited by why you little

Your opinions are only for value in weight of numbers. Like what was it? 1000 and more posts in "I believe in Tom". Too little substance spread thinly, far and wide.

Yeah, I took a 20 year old Demon at face value.

I have no idea what that has to do with Aaron Davey, nor what possible relevance it has to lacking substance...

Mighty strong words from a relative newbie...

Have we met before?

I think his best position is a small forward. I read somewhere his training program was to build strength (to break tackles) and to create forward pressure with short sharp burst, using his pace. He never had natural endurance and playing midfield was too much of a stretch for him

I dont agree that the Buckley style of midfielder. Running around players getting easy handballs and getting easy kicks. He is our only small forward barring Lawrence who is yet to play a game. He will play as long as he gives 100%

Guest Jackie
I am not branding him with anything. It is just human nature, and i am sorry his game against St.kilda last year still leaves me cold. That is not rhe game of a hungry player. If he was injured he should not have played. Once you cross the boundey white line all players are equal fair game.

He looked at the umpire, then Riewoldt and finally to MacDonald. Calmly then threw the ball to the wrong guy. Our best chance in years to win a game against quality Vic opposition on away territory turned into dust. A win here might have set up our season after weeks of turbulence. Instead it was the beginning of gloom and fatalistic despair for us culminating in 186.

Later in the season he earns himself a holiday with the most clearly telegraphed smack in the chops to a tigers player I've ever witnessed that even Blind Freddie in the top of the Southern Stand would have seen.

Guest Jackie

Yeah, I took a 20 year old Demon at face value.

I have no idea what that has to do with Aaron Davey, nor what possible relevance it has to lacking substance...

Mighty strong words from a relative newbie...

Have we met before?

I was just hoping we are not going to see an "I believe in Aaron" campaign.