Weak Club

Freak

...they just live off the AFL indirectly (ie. by being gifted a commercially lucrative fixture).

Absolutey there is no free market economics at play here, the AFL manipulate fixtures and venues to allow stronger clubs to obtain an unfair advantage over others/

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know the reason why everyone loves Gary Lyon, because he is the only person that provides our club with a voice! whether it be on the footy show, or on footy classified he always states his frustrations about the club.

But there are certain things that must be answered.

-Why are we asking for 'maximum compensation' ala Gary Ablett? A strong club should ask for MORE than Gary Ablett. Scully is worth more than Ablett on the trade table considering he is 7 years younger so we should be getting more than Ablett.

A strong club should at least pretend to demand it.

-Also, a strong club would have asked for a logical explanation as to why a judd-Visy deal couldn't have been done for Tom Scully. Adrian Anderson came out with 'Oh, we've tightened the rules since then' and we just roll over and accept. The fans ought to know why they have changed the rules, demand to see the rule changes and also put pressure on the Judd-Visy deal to cease. I've seen none of this.

These 2 points should and would be undertaken if we were a strong club. Fans deserve answers. Collingwood or Carlton were never going to let any of their players go let alone one of the best young talents in the game.

And for anyone says that he isn't, it's like you've been dumped by Jennifer Hawkins and you're trying to rationalise by saying that she wasn't that good, when in fact she was. Melbourne fans, Scully will be a champion

Ease up on the dramatics!

The only acceptable response to Scully's announcement and the year we've had in general is to solidify, unite and become ruthless and cutthroat in our direction in the future - as Ross Lyon put it we need to be unrelenting.

I see this as the straw that broke the camel's back - its the final insult to a long stretch of bad luck, from Scott Thompson leaving, Judd and Aker chosing elsewhere, Ball sooner quitting a year than playing for us - this is the point where we have to all - as supporters and as a club say 'enoughs enough.'

We need to tell Eddie that we will pursue malthouse if there is even a shred of a chance that he is available. We have no coach, they have two. We gave them ball and they can stick Queen's birthday.

We need to be very calculating and very clear about our future. harden up and not take second best.

If Hawthorn lost a player they'd have many more to take their place - Scully apparently had a professional, singleminded attitude to training, but that doesnt automatically mean he is the best natural talent; only that he goes about his training with large amounts of focus - at the end of the day he is just one player. He may be a champ but its more likely that he wont be simply considering the probabilities of the situation.

When Woewodin left we all cursed the decision. But the mists of time can change perspectives and clarify things.

This will just make the next premiership feel that little bit better.

Listening to Schwab and McClardy presser right now.

This is Day 1 of The MFC v The AFL. It is up to us the supporters to stand up, if we don't the AFL wins.

We have paid off a $5Mill debt & the 100% Melbourne Campaign up till last week was at $800K+

We just have to dig deep and keep standing & going forward...

Not even Collingwood would have beaten this mornings odds....it is now up to BP & Tim Harrington to Recruit the best kids they have ever recruited

Here is the Full Press Coference....I think we came out on the front foot Pretty Strong...

Line in the sand stuff. September 12 2011

I have been thinking about Scully and his departure and my immediate thoughts went to Shane Woewodien and of cause Brock McClean. They both left the Demons for new pastures and both failed miserably. Shane won a Brownlow and thoroughly deserved it, however two years later he was ''over the hill''

having lost his speed and endurance. And we should also know what happened to Brock, left the Dees for greener pastures also and two years down the track he is too slow having lost that and his endurance and would also be considered to be ''over the hill''. Scully has never reached the levels of either of the above and there is a possibility that he never will. So let GWS suffer the consequences of Scullys non rise too glory. And of cause one of the best things about this will be the insipid smile wiped off the plumbers face.

$cully looked at their potential list, and looked at our performance this year, and thought his best chance of playing in the top league was with GWS.

GWS can't even make the reserve grade grand final in the NEAFL. They got knocked out of the first final to Eastlake by 11 goals. Eastlake are pretty ordinary.

GWS will struggle to win a game next year

Never heard him say that. definitely didn't in the press conferences or on sen just before

Someone said it because I heard it too. I thought it was CS who said we would go for the maximum and that under the rules the compo for TS was inadequate.

Never heard him say that. definitely didn't in the press conferences or on sen just before

Yes, he intimated in the press conference (for those that didn't listen) that the salary is unprecedented for a 20 yo and that they would be seeking the absolute maximum compensation. Emphasise maximum.

And those using the dodgy knee factor - that really is irrelevant.

Yes, he intimated in the press conference (for those that didn't listen) that the salary is unprecedented for a 20 yo and that they would be seeking the absolute maximum compensation. Emphasise maximum.

And those using the dodgy knee factor - that really is irrelevant.

yeah and the maximum is gary ablett compensation. We should be seekimg more than Gary Ablett. That was never stated. Maximum compensation means we are settling for about pick 10 and 18-ish. Not good enough!!!!

yeah and the maximum is gary ablett compensation. We should be seekimg more than Gary Ablett. That was never stated. Maximum compensation means we are settling for about pick 10 and 18-ish. Not good enough!!!!

Fly on the wall at AFL meetings over the next 6 weeks would be fascinating.

I think you under estimate Schwab in all this....We won't get better than Ablett but i think he will fight.

FFS, didn't you hear the press conference ? He made the point that Scully is being payed 30-40% more than Ablett in his first year of contract (ie. $2 million for 1st year); they are aiming higher - that was my point.

Go visit the press conference again Freak.

FFS, didn't you hear the press conference ? He made the point that Scully is being payed 30-40% more than Ablett in his first year of contract (ie. $2 million for 1st year); they are aiming higher - that was my point.

Agree Schwab was involved in all this....he knows.

Exactly. Just listening - I was thinking: 'Jeez Schwabby, show something!'

But watching the vision, he was livid. This has only just started.

Exactly. Just listening - I was thinking: 'Jeez Schwabby, show something!'

But watching the vision, he was livid. This has only just started.

Spot on....We need to deal with GWS, probably this year.

The MFC was sharp and ready to fight, but also showed respect.

Screaming and shouting today would not have been a good look.

We have a list to care for....6 million is just not possible Q.E.D.

G Lyon was the same on F Classified....Bring on Trade week..

Guest Buster Bluth

Sorry, where has it been said the Ablett compensation was absolute maximum?

I reckon you've inferred that yaself.

I reckon you're right Buster.

HT - all this talk about this Jaeger kid being available with one of "those" picks this year. My question is would he be the likely number 1 draft pick in 2012?

Maybe, just maybe we have negotiated a deal with the AFL/GW$ that we will be given the opportunity to pick him up this year (ie. losing a number 1 darft pick but getting one in return). Reality is, GWS wouldn't be able to get him any otehr way would they?

HT - all this talk about this Jaeger kid being available with one of "those" picks this year. My question is would he be the likely number 1 draft pick in 2012?

Maybe, just maybe we have negotiated a deal with the AFL/GW$ that we will be given the opportunity to pick him up this year (ie. losing a number 1 darft pick but getting one in return). Reality is, GWS wouldn't be able to get him any otehr way would they?

Tbth billy, I hear and read much of this Jaeger kid. I read much about the compensation and the band that Scully may offer, but I have nfi about how it will all play out. But I'm tipping I'll be excited as any Dees member/supporter during trade week and draft time. As well as the announcement of a new coach.

Maybe we have negotiated, or maybe we're yet to negotiate. Maybe the club is pursuing the absolute maximum compo given the size of Scully's unprecedented contract ? Once that is put to bed, we'll know more and I think the strategy will be a little clearer.

Guest Voice of the Common Fan

I thought our reaction as a club yesterday, from Schwab, McClardy and later Lyon, was not strong enough.

McClardy fumbled badly at the beginning of the press conference, Schwab sort of righted the ship but neither showed fighting qualities or any gusto.

Lyon toeing the "it's the system, don't hate the player" line was weak as well.

People will say they're playing things cooly but yesterday wasn't the time for meek responses. Imagine for a moment how Eddie or Jeff or Steve Kernahan would've reacted.

As someone said in another thread for the love of Christ can we get someone with a bit of [censored] in them at our club.

Edited by Voice of the Common Fan

I thought our reaction as a club yesterday, from Schwab, McClardy and later Lyon, was not strong enough.

McClardy fumbled badly at the beginning of the press conference, Schwab sort of righted the ship but neither showed fighting qualities or any gusto.

People will say they're playing things cooly but yesterday wasn't the time for meek responses. Imagine for a moment how Eddie or Jeff or Steve Kernahan would've reacted.

As someone said in another thread for the love of Christ can we get someone with a bit of [censored] in them at our club.

When there is concession picks at stake and the confirmation of the concession picks to come as well as negotiations in the short term with perhaps GWS, it would be a bit silly to sledge or react in a Jeff / Eddie state. That time can come later. What's the use, he's gone anyway.

As someone said in another thread for the love of Christ can we get someone with a bit of arrogance in them at our club.

I think you are glossing over some of the stronger statements that have been made.

What do we want from here on in?

- Maximum compensation

Schwab and Lyon have both said they will be aggressive with the AFL.

- Attracting players in trade week

Lyon and McLardy both said that was the focus now.

I thought we were fine.

We could have sounded churlish and appeased a few on here but what's the point?

We have to deal with GWS if we want to get in on the mini-draft and we need to be aggressive but respectful with the AFL as we play in it...

Guest Voice of the Common Fan

I think you are glossing over some of the stronger statements that have been made.

What do we want from here on in?

- Maximum compensation

Schwab and Lyon have both said they will be aggressive with the AFL.

- Attracting players in trade week

Lyon and McLardy both said that was the focus now.

I thought we were fine.

We could have sounded churlish and appeased a few on here but what's the point?

We have to deal with GWS if we want to get in on the mini-draft and we need to be aggressive but respectful with the AFL as we play in it...

I think they needed to appease more than 'a few' on here. The club has been absolutely insipid this year. This year?? What am I saying!? I can't recall the last time any fight or chutzpah was offered up by anyone at the Melbourne Football Club, both on and off the field.

There's a difference between being churlish and throwing a few counter-punches after a left-right combination from your opponent.

No wonder they laugh at us.

Revenge is best served cold...Let us show some diplomacy, trade with them if needed in a civil matter...Then go for them next year on the field

GWS have loads of kids we may need...Garry & Cameron were very focused yesterday...

I think they needed to appease more than 'a few' on here. The club has been absolutely insipid this year. This year?? What am I saying!? I can't recall the last time any fight or chutzpah was offered up by anyone at the Melbourne Football Club, both on and off the field.

There's a difference between being churlish and throwing a few counter-punches after a left-right combination from your opponent.

No wonder they laugh at us.

I don't give a frack what emotion other fans have...

And I for one don't want empty words at an emotional press conference.

You want counter punches?

Then wait and see what happens with the compensation, whether we can land a player in trade week, and the hiring of a coach in October (hopefully).

Substantive action is what this club needs.