Sylvia gone too ??

GIRO

but what do we get with Sylvia for $500 000 ?

occasional good game followed by 3 poor ones.

always among the missing against good sides.

Simply does not produce often enough and after 7 years he will not change.

What is with people?? his stats have been posted, for 500K per year you get one of your top 5 players perfomrming in your teams colours

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but Ron he does not produce!

have a look at his results over the years.

most of this year he has had the sulks.

He is exactly what you suggest good pick can play very well but infrequently.

Can you depend on him in the trenches?

Together with Green, Davey and Bate we have got nothing this year.

It is guys like him that are the reason for our constant 10+ goal losses.

The kids are doing reasonabily but these senior players have been terrible all year.

wasting your breath there OLD....not everyone wants to see past their rosey glasses !!!

Syliva is a second tier AFL player. I'd rate 75 players ahead of him the league before he even gets a look in.

This is based on the reality of his output, not the perpetuated myth that he is a 'star'.

Pay him $350 grand with a few bonus clauses and let him walk if he doesn't accept it.

Guest hangon007

Syliva is a second tier AFL player. I'd rate 75 players ahead of him the league before he even gets a look in.

This is based on the reality of his output, not the perpetuated myth that he is a 'star'.

Pay him $350 grand with a few bonus clauses and let him walk if he doesn't accept it.

No problems he walks then ... "everybody" is happy. Colin gets paid what he wants. You get nothing.

Other club gets Colin at a number they are prepared to pay.

Win-Win-Win ... good trading thanks. I love this logic. :)

Geez this is easy BP should be rapt ... I less player to worry about.

PS Dont include me in the "everybody" is happy.

Edited by hangon007

Thats essentailly along the lines of the offer I beleive...Hed probably end up with 400-450 dependinig on output etc.. But as 007 correcctly assumes ( I think ) he might get a smifdge more elsewhere without so many proviso's.

But im with you, and others here, hes OK without being brilliant. He's frustrating to the max. Youre not going to win a premiership with that caliber Im affraid :(

No problems he walks then ... "everybody" is happy. Colin gets paid what he wants. You get nothing.

Other club gets Colin at a number they are prepared to pay.

Win-Win-Win ... good trading thanks. I love this logic. :)

Geez this is easy BP should be rapt ... I less player to worry about.

PS Dont include me in the "everybody" is happy.

He simply does not produce often enough.

The He is one of the reasons we have gone backwards this year.

I do not hate him but look at his results this year.

4 -5 good games vs Gold coast, Richmond, Brisbane,Adelaide

But Hawthorn, collingwood, West coast, North melbourne, St Kilda, geelong

bloody terrible.

It is Trapper all over again.

For Sylvia it may better for him at a team like the Swans. They are a no bull team and used to topping up. There he will be a a newbie amongst toughened campaigners. Here he is an old scallywag amongst callow youth. I've resigned myself to the idea that he's never going to deliver for us but in an environment like Sydney it may just be what he needs. I just hope we can get a good deal for him.

Edited by america de cali

For Sylvia it may better for him at a team like the Swans. They are a no bull team and used to topping up. There he will be a a newbie amongst toughened campaigners. Here he is an old scallywag amongst callow youth. I've resigned myself to the idea that he's never going to deliver for us but in an environment like Sydney it may just be what he needs. I just hope we can get a good deal for him.

me too it is expecting too much to get another Grimes but you never know

Did you make the telephone call? sorry but start living on this planet.

The only thing I apologise for around here is for my 100% unwavering support of the players & the MFC.

I leave the criticism to the professionals at the MFC ... thats their job.

Here we do differ greatly. I wholey support the team and club. But individuals do not get carte blanche. Theyre expected to put in to the best of their abilty ( let alone their paycheck ) . If they dont theyre accountable.

I dont accept your premise one bit. To support anyone blindly is to accept mediocrity...and youre perfectly placed to do so.

me too it is expecting too much to get another Grimes but you never know

What we need are players who play at 80 - 90% or more of their ability 22 rounds a year, rather than inconsistent types who play 4 or 5 100% blinders and dish up 50-60% efforts in the rest of the games.

It's called application. Seven or eight years is more than enough time for a player to demonstrate that he has this quality.

The better clubs seem to have their recruits achieving this in their third and fourth years.

We need to as well.

Guest hangon007

Thats essentailly along the lines of the offer I beleive...Hed probably end up with 400-450 dependinig on output etc.. But as 007 correcctly assumes ( I think ) he might get a smifdge more elsewhere without so many proviso's.

But im with you, and others here, hes OK without being brilliant. He's frustrating to the max. Youre not going to win a premiership with that caliber Im affraid :(

Fine sounds like you are happy too. You get nothing for a player like Colin. That should make you very happy for a player YOU think has a bad attitude and frustrates you to the max.

I can live with that .. assuming Colin is happy.

Edited by hangon007

Guest hangon007

What we need are players who play at 80 - 90% or more of their ability 22 rounds a year, rather than inconsistent types who play 4 or 5 100% blinders and dish up 50-60% efforts in the rest of the games.

It's called application. Seven or eight years is more than enough time for a player to demonstrate that he has this quality.

The better clubs seem to have their recruits achieving this in their third and fourth years.

We need to as well.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ... show me the money invested in our football department. They can then develop the players any way you want.

PS you are not allowed to go to the supporters "thats unreasonable & untenable" according to Rhino

Edited by hangon007

We need to as well.

From memory, we drafted Bell with the pick from the Woewodin trade (no offence to Daniel, but hardly a good deal).

Again from memory, we drafted Dunn from the pick we got from the Jolly trade. I like Dunn, but he's no AA dual premiership ruckman.

No offence to Molan and Smith, but those two high picks hardly set the world on fire. And some doubts still exist about Bate and Blease despite both being high picks.

And the reality is that Grimes for TJ was a complete fluke, and not a trade that can be banked on. We nearly picked Grimes with pick 4 (took Morton instead) and it was amazing that he was still around at pick 14. Stoked he was, but it was essentially due to good luck.

We'll lose more than we gain from letting Sylvia go IMSO.

From memory, we drafted Bell with the pick from the Woewodin trade (no offence to Daniel, but hardly a good deal).

Again from memory, we drafted Dunn from the pick we got from the Jolly trade. I like Dunn, but he's no AA dual premiership ruckman.

No offence to Molan and Smith, but those two high picks hardly set the world on fire. And some doubts still exist about Bate and Blease despite both being high picks.

And the reality is that Grimes for TJ was a complete fluke, and not a trade that can be banked on. We nearly picked Grimes with pick 4 (took Morton instead) and it was amazing that he was still around at pick 14. Stoked he was, but it was essentially due to good luck.

I hope you are right RB

I will reserve my judgement till round 24.

That is of course if he gets back in.

as an aside who is negotating with him at present.

Obviously not DB, is it TV,CS or GL

and is our reluctance to pay the result of the amount we are offering TS?

To get a really good rose bush you have to prune...and prune...and prune..

Same with grapes..

You want a better than average vintage then youre careful what you blend.

Colin is like some attest just like Trapper.. ..all over the place. Its not worth the moments of 1st class play to sacrifice the overall makeup of the team.

Guest hangon007

Absolutely ... but some think he has a bad attitude & frustrates them to the max ... we just have to face the possibility he walk for nothing.

belzebub59 is on the phone to him now.

Edited by hangon007

Old..I think Harrington oversees contracts

Absolutely ... but some think he has a bad attitude & frustrates them to the max ... we just have to face the possibility he walk for nothing.

belzebub59 is on the phone to him now.

so be it

I hope you are right RB

I will reserve my judgement till round 24.

That is of course if he gets back in.

as an aside who is negotating with him at present.

Obviously not DB, is it TV,CS or GLand is our reluctance to pay the result of the amount we are offering TS?

I note no mention of CC.......and this defines part of our problem.......I'm not sure everyone knows whose job is which....until the perfrormance is carp......then it's pin the tail on the donkey. Hope GL can sort this out and we can see the Andrew's report acted upon

I cannot believe the vitriol displayed towards Sylvia (a long term Demon), particularly by people who have been thoroughly intolerant of any (apparently logical) questioning by other posters of Scully's intentions at the end of the year. A simply stunning level of hypocrisy.

Sylvia is a must re-sign IMO. For a start, we will not get adequate compensation for him in any trade.

I'm also sick of accumulating good picks that clearly don't always guarantee quality players. With Sylvia, we have a quality player. Clubs like the Swans wouldn't go near him if they didn't think so.

Get him back in the seniors and re-sign him immediately. And let's focus on winning games again. All this off-field player poker is a huge distraction and, for me, has killed this season.

Edited by mmc

One thing I'v noticed about this forum is that the majority of posters get vitriolic towards a player as soon as a rumour of his discontent with the club arises. See Morton.

We don't know Col's situation - he may be getting paid peanuts, in which case he is right to hold out for a decent sum. On the other hand, the converse may be true. We don't know.

I agree with you about picks - we will have a perpetually skinny and underaged football side on our hands if we don't start trading for some not-so-raw players. If Sylvia is to go, then a trade rather than a draft pick is preferable imo.

Also, has Col ever played in a good football side? I mean, Chip Frawley has given away more goals than you would expect a player of his calibre to have given up over the last month or so. You put Chip in the Collingwood side and he becomes the league's best defender. Point is, Col Sylvia will find consistency when the team finds consistency, which hopefully will not be so far away. Then we will see his talent on display on a weekly basis.

It's poignant you mention Chip Frawley because didn't he manage a stellar All-Australian year lasy year in an ordinary football team?

Col Sylvia will find consistency when he applies himself consistently. At all times. In all games.

He should be playing with the attitude "I'm going to help make this team a good football side through my efforts", not waiting for others around him to lift first.

If Chip can play an AA season, why can't he?

It all comes back to that word ... application.

Guest hangon007

It's poignant you mention Chip Frawley because didn't he manage a stellar All-Australian year lasy year in an ordinary football team?

Col Sylvia will find consistency when he applies himself consistently. At all times. In all games.

He should be playing with the attitude "I'm going to help make this team a good football side through my efforts", not waiting for others around him to lift first.

If Chip can play an AA season, why can't he?

It all comes back to that word ... application.

Ok ... in future if Colin every gets a injury and unable to perform to your levels. ie "applies himself consistently. At all times. In all games."

What we will do is put out a press statement, with images, youtube video pointing to the specific problems he faces. That way everyone in here will know the exact problems thru his whole career.

Would that make you happy? B)

Edited by hangon007