• Podcast:      

I've missed the last few nights due to other involvements but I did see a highlight from Saturday that had Chief Wiggins leading out his sprinter (not Cav) at the end of the stage..Very impressive stuff I thought and not something I'd expect to see from a leading GC rider that everyone reckoned was going to crack.

Wishful thinking that was

He'll have to fall off to lose in my opinion,but slowing the peleton is to protect a genuine GC competitor suffering misfortune is the racing tradition so its not quite as wonderously sporting as some people are making out.

I've seen it done before and I'm not a long time observer.

That Frenchman however, upholds the tradition of Frog duplicitous hypocricy in all things,....politics ,human rights, bravery in battle, philosophy and now cycling.

EDITS ..endless spelling mistakes

Edited by IRW
  • Like 1

Nice to read what Wiggins instructed to his Sky teammates and wait for the reigning champion.

Cadel Evans indicates he believes Spanish fans put tacks on the road during stage 14 of the Tour de France

http://www.foxsports...u-1226427194175

Edited by QueenC

I've missed the last few nights due to other involvements but I did see a highlight from Saturday that had Chief Wiggins leading out his sprinter (not Cav) at the end of the stage..Very impressive stuff I thought and not something I'd expect to see from a leading GC rider that everyone reckoned was going to crack.

Wishful thinking that was

He'll have to fall off to lose in my opinion,but slowing the peleton is to protect a genuine GC competitor suffering misfortune is the racing tradition so its not quite as wonderously sporting as some people are making out.

I've seen it done before and I'm not a long time observer.

That Frenchman however, upholds the tradition of Frog duplicitous hypocricy in all things,....politics ,human rights, bravery in battle, philosophy and now cycling.

EDITS ..endless spelling mistakes

Bravery and making sense may not be a strong point of the French.But you have to admire their knowledge of cheese, smallgoods and sexual deviancy .

I quite liked B. Bardot as well, and thought Claidine Longet was 'hot as' until she was convicted of a 'misdemenour', ie killing her boyfriend Spider Sabrich.

Its coincidental of course that she later married her defence attorney and settled the civil proceedings with Sabich's family out of court on the understanding she would not reveal details of the relationship .

The Stones had something to say about it though.

I suppose that might be the deviancy you mentioned and I'm sure that Sabrich's small goods were irrelevent.

It was the cheese she liked I guess

"Claudine's back in jail again

Claudine's back in jail (again)

Claudine's back in jail again

Claudine

Claudine's back in jail (again)

She only does it at weekends

Claudine

Oh, Claudine

Now only Spider knows for sure

But he ain't talkin' about it any more

Is he, Claudine?

There's blood in the chalet

And blood in the snow

(She)Washed her hands of the whole damn show

The best thing you could do, Claudine

Shot him once right through the head

Shot him twice right through the chest

The judge says (ruled) it was an accident

Claudine

Accidents will happen

(In the best homes)

And Claudine's back in jail again

Claudine

(Claudine's back in jail again

Claudine) [additional chorus]

I'll tell you something

Now Claudine's back in jail again

Claudine

Tell you one more

Huh Claudine?

Oh Claudine...

Oooo ...

What about the children, baby?

Poor, poor children

Now I threaten my wife with a gun

I always leave the safety on

I recommend it

Claudine

Now she pistol whipped me once or twice

But she never tried to take my life

(What do you think about that)

Claudine

The prettiest girl I ever seen

I saw you on the movie screen

Hope you don't try to make a sacrifice of me

Claudine

(Don't get trigger happy with me)

Don't wave a gun at me

(Claudine)

I said Claudine's back in jail again

Claudine

I said Claudine's back in jail again

She only does it at weekends

Claudine

Keith, will you put that weapon down?

Oh Claudine

Oh Claudine"

Edited by IRW

Rest day tomorrow before some big climbs on Wednesday and Thursday . Stage 15...

PROFIL.jpg

THE VIEW OF JEAN-FRANCOIS PESCHEUX

A strategic place

"A tip of the hat to provincial France, the France of the Tour. Our caravan will set off from Samatan, a large town with 2,200 inhabitants which is the main town of the Gers canton. It will probably be a calm start, as the stage is not particularly tough. A sprint finish would be the logical outcome, and I actually hope it happens, because pure sprinters will not get many chances to shine in this Tour. The finish in Pau will be beautiful, like always. This is the 64th time that the Tour visits this city, which is almost a record. Let us pay homage to this city, which we see as a stronghold and a strategic place."

Edited by Macca

Anyway back to the Tour...I must say the French deserve credit for starting that

Anyway back to the Tour...I must say the French deserve credit for starting that

Quite right. Not to mention The Republic ,croissants and strippers.

Wow, first tacks were thrown over the road, then last night there was oil thrown over the road. What next?

anothernemesis.jpg

Bloody hell Schleck caught with doping in his A sample, has left the Tour...

Pretty sad really. Frank's brother Andy has only recently been awarded the 2010 win after Contador's ban. Puts a question mark over that now.

Pretty sad really. Frank's brother Andy has only recently been awarded the 2010 win after Contador's ban. Puts a question mark over that now.

Gah had not even thought of that, don't want to jump to conclusions but gee wizz it is so disheartening to see another high profile rider get "caught".

In saying that i just saw this in a SI article:

"The diuretic is classified as a specified substance and does not require a provisional suspension. The World Anti-Doping Agency defines specified substances as those that are "more susceptible to a credible, nondoping explanation." Bans for such substances are often shorter, and athletes have a better chance of proving they did not intend to consume it or enhance their performance."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20120717/frank-schleck-positive-test-tour-de-france/#ixzz20vN0wmsX

My understanding is that there a bunch of substances banned in cycling that are permittable in the Olympics and this may be one of them.

The sort of thing that allows for the old 'contanimated meat' defense which gets you out with the 'Judd option',ie short suspension but everyone still says you're a champion.

Armstrong is hoping for that but the wheel does turn eventually and, as with Judd, people eventually wake up to the fact that for all your competitive attributes and skill,a cheat is a cheat and a creep to boot.

When Ben Johnson came to Oz and said basically everyone does drugs at some stage in their career he was probably telling an Olympic truth.

I certainly feel that way about cycling.

I suspect there is an unwritten code of whats ok and whats not.

Schlek and Contador might be on one side of the divide and Lance the other.

Merkxx did it when naievity ruled.

Watching 'Diesel' Evans labour up the hills, and vainly try to break away from the front of the pack,I suspect he's as close to clean as a champion rider can be these days.

Edited by IRW
  • Like 1

Watching 'Diesel' Evans labour up the hills, and vainly try to break away from the front of the pack,I suspect he's as close to clean as a champion rider can be these days.

I came across an interesting today, a leaked UCI list of riders suspected of doping from the 2010 tour.

The riders were ranked with numbers from zero to ten, with zero being no suspicion, and ten being the maximum. The large majority of riders received scores of four or less. The ratings were based on the riders' individual biological passport values up to the event, and included the readings of the first blood test performed on July 1, 2010, just prior to the Grand Départ.

Scores of zero went to, amongst others, Fabian Cancellara, David Zabriskie, Edvald Boasson Hagen and Lars Boom. Lance Armstrong was given a four, as were Cadel Evans and Levi Leipheimer.

Would've preferred to see him ranked at 0.

Tour de France live stream on sbs.com.au from 7.30 pm

As you can see , the cyclists will spend most of their time climbing tonight . The first climb will start sometime after 8.10pm and the last climb will be after midnight (12.15 - 12.30am) Stage 16...

PROFIL.jpg

Mastery of all aspects of cycling

"Pau, a stronghold? Pau, a strategic place? On today's menu, a 197 km classic succession of great Pyrenean cols: the Aubisque, Tourmalet, Col d'Aspin and Peyresourde. As Christian Prudhomme said, a mere four days from the finish, this stage will turn the thumbscrews on the peloton! Moreover, such a course is exactly my idea of a true mountain stage: not with a summit finish, which tends to lock up the race a bit, but an up-and-down course which calls for a mastery of all aspects of cycling. Two years ago, Andy Schleck vacillated somewhat on the descents..."

Edited by Macca

Big night for Cadel to move to try for the podium by Paris.

The descending supremecy that was boasted (talked) about before the Tour?

Edited by IRW

Frank reckons he's been 'Poisoned' . I thought I'd heard every 'Reason' for testing positive over the years but this is a new one . From the 'Steroids in the steak' to the 'Mum's slimming tablet' . What's next ?

I sometimes think these drug cheats have got the 'Excuse' thought up before they do the deed . One famous track star tested 100 times over the limit for Nandrolone and continues to deny any drug taking to this day .

Anyway , 'Le Tour' goes on regardless . And so it should .

Edited by Macca

Its for another thread but there is an argument for letting them take what they want.

In a world where we ogle women it could add a "freak show" aspect to the street, because they'd all look funny in certain ways....and maybe amateur sport would stage a revival in response.

Its for another thread but there is an argument for letting them take what they want.

In a world where we ogle women it could add a "freak show" aspect to the street, because they'd all look funny in certain ways....and maybe amateur sport would stage a revival in response.

And who's to say it wouldn't be equally as popular ! You might then have to bring in drug 'limits' so as to ensure a level playing field . Then there would be the 'Limit' cheats - or if there aren't any limits we could have ......

'Bodybuilders on Bikes' ! I can see it now . Then of course , we could 'Contrive' it like on those mindless reality shows . 'Evil' Alberto could be a star attraction.

I like the idea of amateur sport staging a revival though . The 'Idea' of amateur sport in an event like 'Le Tour' is perhaps antiquated and from a bygone era but for the purists (and there are many) it might be a godsend . Ya see , the evils of the almighty dollar ....................ah , forget it , just keep bustin' 'em and give 'em tougher penalties !

Edited by Macca

I love watching Voeckler. Such an aggresive and courageous rider.

I'm not confident of an Evans miracle but I think he will at least try something and I'll be excited for a while...

BTW whats with morons running alongside riders and getting in the way on the mountains? Never ceases to annoy me. So disrespectful.

Well thats it now..not even the podium for Evans.He's been outclassed in the TT's,in the mountains,tactically (very much imo) and in the make up of his "improved" team. Its all very well for him to shake his drug cheat mate Hincapie's hand at the end of the stage and thank him for his help but I dont recall him dragging a flagging Evans up the mts earlier or protecting his vain breakaway attempts when they might have had some meaning overall. As for the morons,they do look really really stupid dont they?Like a highway lined by Collingwood,Richmond and St.Kilda supporters.I guess standing beside a road for countless hours to see some bikes ride past briefly,very briefly, means you have to make your own fun.Its better than watching the Olympic Torch go past, but not much better I reckon. An event made for HD 3D wide screen TV if there ever was one

Edited by IRW

I love watching Voeckler. Such an aggresive and courageous rider.

I'm not confident of an Evans miracle but I think he will at least try something and I'll be excited for a while...

BTW whats with morons running alongside riders and getting in the way on the mountains? Never ceases to annoy me. So disrespectful.

They're just trying to get their heads on tv most of them. Think it was stage 9, there were 3 male spectators on each side of the road during the time trial with their dacks down mooning the approaching cyclist. Obviously had a skin full waiting to bear their nether region to the world.

Agree on Voeckler. Imaging if he'd been ok in the first week ! Last year he was dominant in the first week or so. Last night he attacked and attacked and made the stage very interesting to watch. Got to admire him, he blitzed them. he looks exhausted on occassions and then all of the sudden, bang he's gone. I reckon he foxes with who he is riding with. Does it very well. Cunning.

Well thats it now..not even the podium for Evans.He's been outclassed in the TT's,in the mountains,tactically (very much imo) and in the make up of his "improved" team. Its all very well for him to shake his drug cheat mate Hincapie's hand at the end of the stage and thank him for his help but I dont recall him dragging a flagging Evans up the mts earlier or protecting his vain breakaway attempts when they might have had some meaning overall. As for the morons,they do look really really stupid dont they?Like a highway lined by Collingwood,Richmond and St.Kilda supporters.I guess standing beside a road for countless hours to see some bikes ride past briefly,very briefly, means you have to make your own fun.Its better than watching the Olympic Torch go past, but not much better I reckon. An event made for HD 3D wide screen TV if there ever was one

That was the last nail. Nibali doesn't stand a chance either. When you've got class like Wiggins and Froome and riding to instruction. dare say it's bloody hard to make a move. Evans seems to be struggling and his preparation prior wasn't what he'd like. He's the oldest le Tour victor since World War II and should be proud of his achievement last year, this year he's been up against a very strong team.

Honestly, Wiggins is Ice Man, he barely shows any pain and remains calm throughout.

Seems academic now but there may be a twist . A bit of drama on the last of the climbing stages would be good . Nibali's last chance you'd reckon . The climb to 'Port de Bales' will commence sometime after 11pm . Stage 17...

PROFIL.jpg

Loads of points up for grabs

"Short (143.5 km) but tough! We designed a Pyrenean counterpart to the Alpine stage between Albertville and La Toussuire. But now that we are a mere three days from the finish, if the general classification has not been decided yet this will be the last chance for climbers to build a buffer. There will also be loads of points up for grabs for the mountains classification... The course offers no respite. The first climb is the Col de Menté, famous since 1971, which will be followed by the Col des Ares and the Port de Balès. This will be the first time that the finish is decided on the Plateau de Peyragudes, a ski resort in the Hautes-Pyrénées."

Edited by Macca

With nothing to lose and being no threat to the GC it will be interesting to see if Cadel gives it a red hot go.

The ruthless Sky boys wont bother to chase him...he's history.

I came across an interesting today, a leaked UCI list of riders suspected of doping from the 2010 tour.

Quite a fascinating list . More than a couple of 'Notables' with high points too .

I dont understand this stuff and, as I said above, I suspect they all have done drugs at some stage of their career, but I do see Voekler is a zero and Michael Rogers measures a seven. Cadel and Wiggins at 4 and 5 isnt actually ringing alarm bells statisticaly and I have no doubt any Tour rider would read differently from myself.

What they do for a living must make changes to a body that is probably already outside the normal range anyway.

I suppose that is taken into account though I wonder how Sherpas would measure up?

Edited by IRW