The No T$ No B$ Thread

Redleg

2 hours ago, Red and Bluebeard said:

Yes. I recall a memorable 16-part version Ich bin der Velt ... Bruckner and Janacek are not at the top of my list, but Bach, now you are talking!

Maybe you'll be lucky enough to sing Janacek's Glagolitic Mass one day...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dieter said:

Maybe you'll be lucky enough to sing Janacek's Glagolitic Mass one day...

You never know your luck in the big city. Can you compare it to another work? Verdi Requiem? Bach Mass in B Minor? Mahler 8th?

11 hours ago, Redleg said:

I prefer his cousin who kept the full family name, Burt Bacharch. 

Mantovani maybe, but in some ways I prefer Burt Reynolds ... :( And don't get me started on the difference between a Bach chorale and a bacchanal ...

16 hours ago, Red and Bluebeard said:

You never know your luck in the big city. Can you compare it to another work? Verdi Requiem? Bach Mass in B Minor? Mahler 8th?

It was written in the late 1920's. It's a Pagan Mass, if you like, it's full of passion and joy in life. It's exuberant like Verdi's Requiem is at times, nothing like Bach except in its sense of exhilaration, and, thankfully, nothing like Mahler's 8 which, to my ears is full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. The only decent music in it is  the orchestral prelude to the Second Part. No, Janacek is more down to earth and passionate.

There's really no-one to compare him to, you know. I suggest - if you have Spotify - to listen to it, or, there are performances on You Tube.

26 minutes ago, dieter said:

It was written in the late 1920's. It's a Pagan Mass, if you like, it's full of passion and joy in life. It's exuberant like Verdi's Requiem is at times, nothing like Bach except in its sense of exhilaration, and, thankfully, nothing like Mahler's 8 which, to my ears is full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. The only decent music in it is  the orchestral prelude to the Second Part. No, Janacek is more down to earth and passionate.

There's really no-one to compare him to, you know. I suggest - if you have Spotify - to listen to it, or, there are performances on You Tube.

Dieter, I am trying hard to be impressed but something is stopping me. 

8 minutes ago, hemingway said:

Dieter, I am trying hard to be impressed but something is stopping me. 

Not trying to impress, young man, just responding to a question from Red and Bluebeard, by the sounds of it, the only other chap of culture on this site. ( Demonland is fast becoming Boganville! I am attempting to lead you bogans to the path of culture and beauty. )

57 minutes ago, dieter said:

Not trying to impress, young man, just responding to a question from Red and Bluebeard, by the sounds of it, the only other chap of culture on this site. ( Demonland is fast becoming Boganville! I am attempting to lead you bogans to the path of culture and beauty. )

well if you offered something other than barbarian music i might be interested

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dieter said:

Thanks for the recommendation. Shall do.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

i've checked the top 40 for the last 70 years and couldn't find any mention of mahler, bach, janacek, verdi, chopin or liszt :(

So you did find Handel? :rolleyes: