SEN on Col Sylvia

jumbo returns

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reported (allegedly) that he and the Club are poles apart in negotiations thus far.

Greg Denham said that he would be 'perfect fit' for the Swans.

How is his signature going? Important player to sign, I reckon....thoughts?

reported by whom ??

Ah the Silly season starts earlier and earlier !! :wacko:

Guest Gotzy15

Reported (allegedly) that he and the Club are poles apart in negotiations thus far.

Greg Denham said that he would be 'perfect fit' for the Swans.

How is his signature going? Important player to sign, I reckon....thoughts?

Sylvias an interesting one. Ive always thought hes had the potential to be the absolute elite of the elite and hes certainly showed glimpses of that over the past 3 years. He plays about 4-5 blinders a year and hes usually a very solid contributor when we win but he does tend to go missing when the chips are down (Queens birthday this year was an exception to that). I think he provides 'good' leadership but its not brilliant and i sometimes question his work ethic and his ability to have an impact when he does not have the ball in his hand. I have no doubt hes an important player to our club but being in his mid 20s and at his peak maybe he would have some currency??If a trade is going to be beneficial to both parties then surely it should be looked at?? I hope he stays and is part of some successful campaigns in the coming years but i reckon this is a space to be watched.

Guest 36DD

Sylvias an interesting one. Ive always thought hes had the potential to be the absolute elite of the elite and hes certainly showed glimpses of that over the past 3 years. He plays about 4-5 blinders a year and hes usually a very solid contributor when we win but he does tend to go missing when the chips are down (Queens birthday this year was an exception to that). I think he provides 'good' leadership but its not brilliant and i sometimes question his work ethic and his ability to have an impact when he does not have the ball in his hand. I have no doubt hes an important player to our club but being in his mid 20s and at his peak maybe he would have some currency??If a trade is going to be beneficial to both parties then surely it should be looked at?? I hope he stays and is part of some successful campaigns in the coming years but i reckon this is a space to be watched.

I think you will find more instances than just Queens birthday. Can remember a 30 odd possessions, 4 goals and 3 brownlow votes after getting towelled up by Hawthorn a few years back.

Guest Gotzy15

I think you will find more instances than just Queens birthday. Can remember a 30 odd possessions, 4 goals and 3 brownlow votes after getting towelled up by Hawthorn a few years back.

I remember that one too as well as the QB game where Wattsy made his debut but that was back in 2009. Apart from the QB game this year can you think of any matches over the last 2 years where weve been soundly beaten and sylvia has really stood up??

Guest Thomo

I remember that one too as well as the QB game where Wattsy made his debut but that was back in 2009. Apart from the QB game this year can you think of any matches over the last 2 years where weve been soundly beaten and sylvia has really stood up??

I'd say you could not be more wrong on this. Of the seven games that he has polled Brownlow votes in the past two years, three of them were loses. Sylvia is often one of the few that stand up when Melbounre are getting beaten.

I think there are more instances where Sylvia hasn't come up with the goods than those where he has. Many more in fact.

In a game that is becoming quicker and more frenetic with each passing season, I'm wondering if there are question marks over his pace moving forward.

He's a very good but inconsistent player. Will he get better or has he peaked and that's all we can ever expect from him?

If the latter, then perhaps we should keep our options open about him.

Guest Thomo

I think there are more instances where Sylvia hasn't come up with the goods than those where he has. Many more in fact.

In a game that is becoming quicker and more frenetic with each passing season, I'm wondering if there are question marks over his pace moving forward.

He's a very good but inconsistent player. Will he get better or has he peaked and that's all we can ever expect from him?

If the latter, then perhaps we should keep our options open about him.

Sylvia is quick. Has explosive pace over short bursts. So your post doesn't make much sense.

From memory, the last time his contract negotiations were done, he got a massively front ended contract as we had a lot of salary cap room to move that year (or two). Wonder if he's chasing a similar sized deal?

Sylvia is quick. Has explosive pace over short bursts. So your post doesn't make much sense.

I don't agree. I think he used to be a lot quicker than he is now. Doesn't break tackles as well as he used to and struggles to accelerate away from packs.

He's a good player but don't forget that he's probably in the top 3 highest paid at the club.

We keep saying each year that he's got to go that next level. Perhaps he simply doesn't have a 'next level'.

Edited by Range Rover

Guest 36DD

is this the first sign of "if Scully is worth $1M, then show me the money too"?

Could well be a stance taken by Sylvia via his management or could be the MFC not having the space due to paying over the odds for Sylvia.

Melbourne should not pay overs for Scully, pay him as much as he is worth based on past performance and potential (no doubt difficult to assess)if he does not accept this, and he too would know what his current worth is, then i'm afraid its see you later.

Paying over the odds will have massive implications for the list going forward.

Could well be a stance taken by Sylvia via his management or could be the MFC not having the space due to paying over the odds for Sylvia.

Melbourne should not pay overs for Scully, pay him as much as he is worth based on past performance and potential (no doubt difficult to assess)if he does not accept this, and he too would know what his current worth is, then i'm afraid its see you later.

Paying over the odds will have massive implications for the list going forward.

36DD is that the same as in the future?

I do agree, you need 26 good players to win a flag.

Having one or two super stars and nothing else will not get it done.

Edited by old dee

Guest Thomo

I don't agree. I think he used to be a lot quicker than he is now. Doesn't break tackles as well as he used to and struggles to accelerate away from packs.

He's a good player but don't forget that he's probably in the top 3 highest paid at the club.

We keep saying each year that he's got to go that next level. Perhaps he simply doesn't have a 'next level'.

You can't disagree or agree with a fact, Sylvia is quick. It would be like me saying Gawn is tall, and someone saying they disagree.

He may be in the top three paid at the club, but I think he would also in the top three in the best and fairest, and top three skilled, so top three paid right now makes sense.

Guest 36DD

36DD is that the same as in the future?

I do agree, you need 26 good players to win a flag.

Having one or two super stars and nothing else will not get it done.

The stance is reliant on players buying into the idea of sacrificing for ultimate premiership glory.

You can't disagree or agree with a fact, Sylvia is quick. It would be like me saying Gawn is tall, and someone saying they disagree.

He may be in the top three paid at the club, but I think he would also in the top three in the best and fairest, and top three skilled, so top three paid right now makes sense.

No, it's nothing like that at all. Speed, unlike height, can be affected over time owing to several factors. If you're comparing him to the best onballers in the comp (ie. have a look at the way Cooney went about it on Friday night) then no, he's not quick. He's by no means slow, but certainly not in that class. Yet we pay him as one.

And to the poster who says he's our best offensive weapon, he's kicked 99 goals in 122 games at 0.8 goals a game. Hardly world-beating numbers.

I think some of you tend to wear rose-tinted sunnies when it comes to this player.

In todays paper his manager states that he is in constant discussions with Tim Harrington and will continue talks as the year progresses. Doesnt seem to alarming to me.

I dont think we would want to lose any good 25,26 year old at this stage. We already have a shortage on our list.

Guest hangon007

The drums just start to beat that little louder ... somebody is turning up the pressure.

Will we crack or will be stand united behind our playing group.

Edited by hangon007

Guest Gotzy15

I'd say you could not be more wrong on this. Of the seven games that he has polled Brownlow votes in the past two years, three of them were loses. Sylvia is often one of the few that stand up when Melbounre are getting beaten.

Youre obviously talking about those matches that i mentioned in 2009 (the hawks and collingwood games) where he was very good. My point was that in 2010 and 2011 (which is the last 2 years) in the matches where weve been soundly beaten he has failed to have an impact numerous times. Friday night was a good example of that. I love Col Sylvia but his inconsistency does frustrate me at times.