Trade Bait - Here We Go

Guest hangon007

Guest hangon007

Not that I think its a good article ... but here is a link to an article discussing early "trade bait" http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/which-players-couldl-be-trading-places/story-e6frepf6-1226088308539

Two of our players mentioned ... looks like the author has surfed a few footy sites. Looks like a classic "slow news day" article ... stating nothing new.

Cale Morton (Melb)

Potential new home: GWS, Gold Coast

IS showing all the hallmarks of a player who needs a fresh start somewhere else - and there will be suitors sniffing around.

The 2007 No.4 draft pick has obvious talents, but has had bad luck with injury and a chequered past with the Demons match committee.

On more than one occasion, he has been banished to Casey and undoubtedly he is better than that.

He is out of contract and all talks have been put off until the end of the year, only fuelling speculation.

GWS is a likely option, but don't rule out Gold Coast given its list builder Scott Clayton was in love with Morton as a teenager and wanted him at the Western Bulldogs in a past life.

Would the Dees accept an early second-round pick for him?

Not in this draft ... Go away.

Matthew Bate (Melb)

Potential new homes: Rich, WB, GWS

THE Demons' hierarchy has made it clear Bate is not in the club's best 22.

He wasn't there at the start of the year, only got his chance as injuries and poor team form hit - and then was swiftly dropped.

Dare we say it, Liam Jurrah has been lucky to hold his spot ahead of him.

Bate is hard-leading and as honest as they come. He also has a booming left foot.

The fact Bate needs a new club stands out almost as much as the bloke's ginger hair.

No doubt, he is already looking at options.

Out of contract at the end of the year, he has the option of the pre-season draft - but the Demons may deal to get something in return.

Bate would have currency at Richmond as a foil for Jack Riewoldt.

At the Western Bulldogs, where Barry Hall is almost certainly in his final year, Jarrad Grant and Liam Jones are still developing. Bate's hard body might help ... he's a junior version of Mitch Hahn.

Interesting comments, they dont even try to gauge a price.

Should add the only one that interest me was maybe Ryan Shoenmakers ... possible three way trade.

Bate to the Bulldogs .... Hill to Hawthorn ... Shoemakers to us.

Maybe late draft picks to even up.

Edited by hangon007

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Morton to GWS for pick 7

Bate Dunn and pick 7 to collingwood for Dawes

Dawes and Malthouse to Melbourne.

That article also mentions Watts being signed up, in the middle of September.

His management probably putting off negotiations until after the season.

I remember the hatred and accuasations of Jack when he deferred the talks...

Oh, wait...

And to those that just rolled their eyes, and just muttered to themselves "it's different, rp":

Oh, yeah, the difference is there are rumours, that's it.

"Brian Lake (WB)

Potential new homes: Rich, Haw

THE Dogs have told Lake he's a "1000 per cent" required player - and expect him to stay at Whitten Oval to see out the final two years of his contract.

But that does not stop clubs from circling in search of an opportunity to snare a two-time All-Australian defender.

Rivals would have to dish up something special though - perhaps even two first-round picks - to make the Dogs waiver after such a strong public commitment."

What the hell is Mark Stevens smoking? As if any club (with the exception of Carlton) would be stupid enough to offer two first round picks to the dogs for a fat uninterested 29 year old on 600k per year. Absolutely 0% changce of that.

Not trading Bate at the end of the season will be a huge dissapointment. I like him as a player but he has fallen out of favor. Keeping him until the end of 2012 wouldn't be great for both player and club.

We will get nothing for bait

Not mentioned yet ( I think ) was the notion clubs might come shopping for Martin. Theres a bit of logic in that and something we ought to be mindful of....and am sure the club is. His value has climbed decidely this year. We wont be the only to have taken note.

Guest hangon007

Not mentioned yet ( I think ) was the notion clubs might come shopping for Martin. Theres a bit of logic in that and something we ought to be mindful of....and am sure the club is. His value has climbed decidely this year. We wont be the only to have taken note.

Good point. Amazing the difference a year makes. Last year many around here where keen to expose Martin to the draft via the mis-understood demotion to the rookie-list process.

Interesting times ahead.

Here are my thoughts, Bate, Maric and Warnock will look at their options, these three will not be happy playing at Casey. We will find a home for Warnock hopefully getting Carlton's second round pick which will be 40. Unfortunately I don't thing the other two have much currency.

Guest hangon007

Not trading Bate at the end of the season will be a huge dissapointment. I like him as a player but he has fallen out of favor. Keeping him until the end of 2012 wouldn't be great for both player and club.

We will get nothing for bait

What do you want in return for a player who you claim has "fallen out of favor"

What is his value in this draft?

"Brian Lake (WB)

Potential new homes: Rich, Haw

THE Dogs have told Lake he's a "1000 per cent" required player - and expect him to stay at Whitten Oval to see out the final two years of his contract.

But that does not stop clubs from circling in search of an opportunity to snare a two-time All-Australian defender.

Rivals would have to dish up something special though - perhaps even two first-round picks - to make the Dogs waiver after such a strong public commitment."

What the hell is Mark Stevens smoking? As if any club (with the exception of Carlton) would be stupid enough to offer two first round picks to the dogs for a fat uninterested 29 year old on 600k per year. Absolutely 0% changce of that.

"1000 per cent" required player is trade-talk for we are more than happy to trade but its going to cost you

"100 per cent" required player is this player is not on the (trade) table

Guest hangon007

Here are my thoughts, Bate, Maric and Warnock will look at their options, these three will not be happy playing at Casey. We will find a home for Warnock hopefully getting Carlton's second round pick which will be 40. Unfortunately I don't thing the other two have much currency.

Re Warnock ... So baring in mind we are most likely to only use 2-3 picks in this draft ... you have effectively sold Warnock for a pick upgrade from our 3rd round pick to Carltons 2nd round pick. You have improved 6-10 places approximately and there is a damn good chance you pick the same player anyway. Now factor in the depth of this draft .... :wacko:

Edited by hangon007

Guest hangon007

"1000 per cent" required player is trade-talk for we are more than happy to trade but its going to cost you

"100 per cent" required player is this player is not on the (trade) table

Yeah I laughed too ... Sounds like a line out of the Kevin Sheedy Essendon trading Manual circ 1980'-1990-Early 2000'

All our players are guns and we want top $$$$ ... but all your blokes are worth nothing, just give them too us.

Re Warnock ... So baring in mind we are most likely to only use 2-3 picks in this draft ... you have effectively sold Warnock for a pick upgrade from our 3rd round pick to Carltons 2nd round pick. You have improved 6-10 places approximately and there is a damn good chance you pick the same player anyway. Now factor in the depth of this draft .... :wacko:

Now factor in that the alternative is delisting Warnock for nothing.

What do you want in return for a player who you claim has "fallen out of favor"

What is his value in this draft?

we could sneak a late 2nd round pick if we trade bate and our third round pick...

we get rid of a player that wants to leave and we upgrade to an earlier draft pick...win win...

Edited by disco_demon

Unless we can be sure that what we receive for Dunn, Bate, Warnock and Morton is going to improve things for us on the field next year or is necessary in a financial sense in terms of keeping the overall list structure right ,I don't think I would be getting to hasty here. Both Bate & Dunn on their day have put in some respectful performances ( I'll acknowledge some may say not enough), but they both are a decent height and are both matured bodies.

So at worst they add depth to a list somewhat short of the taller forward commodity and at best have previously shown some level of capability. As we are waiting for Cook, Fitzpatrick & Co to arrive, I wouldn't be leaving ourselves short and making it harder than it already is if those two young blokes get injured, don't come on or are slow to come on for some reason. Maybe a year to early to be considering trading these two.

Matty Warnock is somewhat in the same boat in terms of adding depth. Being able to play on Gorillas up back is also a reasonably hard commodity to find. A couple of times this year in the absence of Garland,( Tippett comes to mind) I felt he stepped up to the plate, but he would seem to be in a stronger bargaining position than the other two if he is uncontracted unless of course he wants to end up at a club other than GWS.

The Morton issue however is far more complex one for me. Considering p.ssing of a tall No.4 draft pick after such a short time is a big call and as a previous poster suggested, getting something like pick 40 in return is a real bend over. This would suggest a reasonable recruiting stuff up for mine if it were to happen. I notice there is also some suggestion about his brother at Richmond. Don't quite know what to make of all this. I wonder if there are games being played by several parties here but I suppose it's the time of the year this stuff all starts.

Guest Artie Bucco

Yeah, pretty much the most obvious point in the whole discussion.

As to moving forward 6 spots, it could be the difference between getting Jamie Bennell or Dan Hanneberry (or 10 picks would have got us Jack Redden, who we really wanted). West Coast wanted Bennell and we just pipped them to get him.

Every year after the draft, teams rue the fact that a certain player was snatched a pick or 2 earlier.

Moving up a few spots can be very beneficial, if your scouts have done their job well.

Yeah, pretty much the most obvious point in the whole discussion.

As to moving forward 6 spots, it could be the difference between getting Jamie Bennell or Dan Hanneberry (or 10 picks would have got us Jack Redden, who we really wanted). West Coast wanted Bennell and we just pipped them to get him.

Every year after the draft, teams rue the fact that a certain player was snatched a pick or 2 earlier.

Moving up a few spots can be very beneficial, if your scouts have done their job well.

Geez West Coast would be shattered they dodged that bullet.

Guest Artie Bucco

Geez West Coast would be shattered they dodged that bullet.

He's young, give him time.

I think his career trajectory will be similar to that of Varcoe at Geelong.

They got Ash Smith, so I'd still say we won there.

Guest hangon007

either way you get nothing ... good trading. Sadly in this draft you should do you best to keep him ... :o

Guest hangon007

we could sneak a late 2nd round pick if we trade bate and our third round pick...

we get rid of a player that wants to leave and we upgrade to an earlier draft pick...win win...

As per above Warnock trade ... you are not really gaining anything of value in this draft.

So it not a win-win ... its far more like a loss for us in this draft.