Where was the boss

Harrisonrules

the problem with this thread is that it exists purely because of one half of one match

let me ask you, roost it, did you consider making this thread in the days after any pf these matches last year?

2 MCG 16 4.5 6.6 9.11 12.13 (85) 5 Collingwood 2.2 7.5 10.10 12.14 (86) Lost -1

4 MCG 11 8.1 8.7 15.11 20.13 (133) 16 Richmond 5.2 7.7 7.9 11.12 (78) Won 55

5 MCG 9 4.2 9.6 12.7 15.13 (103) 2 Bris Lions 2.3 3.6 7.9 7.11 (53) Won 50

7 MCG 10 0.6 3.9 7.10 9.12 (66) 8 W Bulldogs 3.2 5.5 8.7 10.10 (70) Lost -4

9 Mar 11 5.2 9.6 14.7 17.9 (111) 8 Port Adel 3.3 7.6 8.10 16.14 (110) Won 1

12 MCG 13 3.2 6.3 7.8 11.10 (76) 2 Collingwood 4.8 5.10 6.19 9.22 (76) Drawn 0

16 Sub 11 1.2 3.5 9.8 10.11 (71) 4 Fremantle 6.3 9.8 10.10 11.16 (82) Lost -11

17 MCG 11 8.2 12.4 20.8 22.10 (142) 6 Sydney 2.1 4.4 6.6 10.9 (69) Won 73

20 MCG 10 4.1 8.1 11.3 12.6 (78) 8 Hawthorn 4.1 8.4 12.7 15.9 (99) Lost -21

No worries - we are all passionate supporters and entitled to our opinions. I dont take stuff here personally. My points are:

No probs with Bails on the bench.

We went in at 1/2 time like we had won. Slowing the game down can be seen as either 'white flag' surrender, or strategy. Im just not sure it serves us in the long term - but then again, maybe we learn how to slow and control for periods of the game which can be useful when it makes sense. Can see either side.

I wonder what made flash think that was the right thing to do when 5 mins (20% of the quarter) was still on the clock? The momentum had shifted, but what signal did we send the opposition and ourselves? Dont want to bag Davey, but that 'slow down call' was a clear signal to both teams from that kick in.

No worries - we are all passionate supporters and entitled to our opinions. I dont take stuff here personally. My points are:

No probs with Bails on the bench.

We went in at 1/2 time like we had won. Slowing the game down can be seen as either 'white flag' surrender, or strategy. Im just not sure it serves us in the long term - but then again, maybe we learn how to slow and control for periods of the game which can be useful when it makes sense. Can see either side.

I wonder what made flash think that was the right thing to do when 5 mins (20% of the quarter) was still on the clock? The momentum had shifted, but what signal did we send the opposition and ourselves? Dont want to bag Davey, but that 'slow down call' was a clear signal to both teams from that kick in.

I would have done the same thing as Flash. The signal I would have been sending to my opponents was "right you pricks, you're coming at us, you're outrunning and outplaying us, try doing that when you don't have the ball in your hand. We're going to play the next 5 minutes on our terms, so we can get in to the sheds with a 3 or 4 goal lead that you have to peg back".

Is it still that hard for people to understand that he did the right thing????

the problem with this thread is that it exists purely because of one half of one match

let me ask you, roost it, did you consider making this thread in the days after any pf these matches last year?

Actually I've always seen Bailey as an interim coach. Last year made me think that perhaps he had it but I just really don't want the window to close without the cup

Actually I've always seen Bailey as an interim coach. Last year made me think that perhaps he had it but I just really don't want the window to close without the cup

The best part is, our window wont be open until 2013 at the earliest, and even then will be barely ajar. That to me gives Bailey 2 more years to get to the end of 2013 to prove he is our man. If, by the end of 2013, we are still floundering around the 8th position, we'll be able to make a more informed decision*.

At worst, a new coach (maybe a Roos or Malthouse) comes in at the start of 2014 with a playing list of the likes of Trengove, Scully, Grimes, etc having around 60 games to their name. You would think that a few quality candidates would put their hand up to coach that group. So the list will still be plenty young enough to mould.

* That's based on achieving the KPI's set this year, that NONE OF US know about.

I would have done the same thing as Flash. The signal I would have been sending to my opponents was "right you pricks, you're coming at us, you're outrunning and outplaying us, try doing that when you don't have the ball in your hand. We're going to play the next 5 minutes on our terms, so we can get in to the sheds with a 3 or 4 goal lead that you have to peg back".

Is it still that hard for people to understand that he did the right thing????

How about "right you pricks, you're coming at us ... I'm going to slice through your defence like butter with my elite running and kicking skills. We're going to get our tails up and slam on two more goals going into the break and then walk to the dugout with steely determination that we're going to come out after half time and do it all again to you".

That, my friend, is a winner's mentality. What you have suggested is just the opposite.

Davey may as well have lifted a big sign saying saying "We're Not Sure We're Up To This".

How about "right you pricks, you're coming at us ... I'm going to slice through your defence like butter with my elite running and kicking skills. We're going to get our tails up and slam on two more goals going into the break and then walk to the dugout with steely determination that we're going to come out after half time and do it all again to you".

That, my friend, is a winner's mentality. What you have suggested is just the opposite.

Davey may as well have lifted a big sign saying saying "We're Not Sure We're Up To This".

With 7 minutes to go, that attitude wasn't working and they started to pile goals on. with 5 minutes to go, I'd hardly call it a losers mentality.

We're not talking about doing this in the first 2 minutes of the game when a side has quicked a couple of quick ones on us. we're talking about in the last part of the quarter and trying to protect a lead.

It was our inability to be able to slow a game down against Sydney that probably was the differnce between winning and drawing. In that game, if we slowed the play down, played smart, possession footy, we win, simple.

We're not

How many times do you see the top teams slowing the play down when their opposition gets a run on? Nearly every bloody time. It is far from showing the opposition that "that's all we've got". The difference is, the better teams execute it to perfection, we don't...yet.

I think it's a tactic that we will use when required (just like every other team in the AFL does), but I wouldn't call it a habit. If we can halt a sides run by slowing play down, then get it back to a level playing field, as long as we have belief in ourselves to get it back from there, it works.

The issue is not that we stopped running with 5 monutes to go, the issue is that with 7 minutes to go, the momentum changed and they were starting to reduce our lead. For that 2 minutes, we didn't stop running hard hard, and kept trying what had been working, but what Hawthorn was doing was better, and Flash knew this and decided something had to be done about it.

It's obvious that you wont see reality in this point.

There is your answer...we are far from being a top side. i can see what you are saying, and i fully understand it in the last Q, but not before Half time.

Noticed how many goals the Filth have kicked in junk time of each Quarter this year?? It's F#$%^'in' scary Billy. They actually up the hunt just before siren time...That is a far more positive tactic for mine.

Seriously, we need a coach like James Hird, one who is ready to pull on the boots and get out there and change the course of a game.

I had a lot of faith in Baily but so far he hasn't earnt me a single dream team point.

I'm gonna trade him for Mckenna - that guy might at least be getting a game soon.

Of course, the OP is a no show after starting such a horrible thread.

I am not prepared to put my head in the sand. I am not prepared to trust in unexamined dreaming. Clubs need vision and vision needs hard scrutiny. The press have started. We must demand the highest from players, officials and coaches

This thread is here exactly because of these results, and the many others over the last four years. Four wins and a draw. We played Carlton for the Kruzer Cup and tell me where they are now. One club official has joked about us at least not being like Richmond. We were supposed to be a long way ahead of them, but maybe they have already closed the gap. There is something fundamentally lacking in our consistency. Apart from poor goal kicking, the hawks should have won by over a hundred points. This game was diabolically bad. If you don't want to ask questions don't expect a cup.

This thread is here exactly because of these results, and the many others over the last four years. Four wins and a draw. We played Carlton for the Kruzer Cup and tell me where they are now. One club official has joked about us at least not being like Richmond. We were supposed to be a long way ahead of them, but maybe they have already closed the gap. There is something fundamentally lacking in our consistency. Apart from poor goal kicking, the hawks should have won by over a hundred points. This game was diabolically bad. If you don't want to ask questions don't expect a cup.

A tad misleading.

Carlton were poor before 2007. They are on a different 'clock.'

And would 'consistency' be the thing that is 'fundamentally lacking in our consistency'?

So are Richmond in fact, yet many don't seem to recognise it.

We began bottoming out with Morton at pick 4.

That same year saw Richmond get Cotchin at pick 2, a few years before that they were selecting Deledio with the first pick.

Their list-building may or may not have been as good as ours, but they are not 'behind' us.

Must admit when I first clicked on this thread title, I thought it might have been something to do with Andrew Demetriou's (AFL CEO extraordinaire) poor form and no show at the Gold Coast Football Club's inaugural game in the AFL against Carlton at the Gabba.

Instead he was at the Myer revamp launch in Melbourne wining and dining....apparently making history....

Hah, wow.

I did hear that Bailey went out for supper between 1/2 time and 3/4 time on Sunday and it was funded by Melbourne members.

I heard he dined with Malcolm Blight.

Does the club intend chasing a big name proven coach such as Roos or Malthouse? I have nothing against Bailey and think he's done a superb job getting the list together. However the next few years are seriously important in turning pimply kids into seasoned warriors who can win this club a flag. On talent we have a list better than Collingwood's. Are we as well coached? I don't know but I doubt it. This club has made all the right moves over the last 3 years and must continue to do so. I'm hoping the review processes so evident thus far are continuing and we are leaving no stone unturned in our pursuit of excellence. If we can't win a Premiership with this list then we're farked. I don't want to be the next St. Kilda, watching the window close without the silverware.

The best part is, our window wont be open until 2013 at the earliest, and even then will be barely ajar. That to me gives Bailey 2 more years to get to the end of 2013 to prove he is our man. If, by the end of 2013, we are still floundering around the 8th position, we'll be able to make a more informed decision*.

At worst, a new coach (maybe a Roos or Malthouse) comes in at the start of 2014 with a playing list of the likes of Trengove, Scully, Grimes, etc having around 60 games to their name. You would think that a few quality candidates would put their hand up to coach that group. So the list will still be plenty young enough to mould.

* That's based on achieving the KPI's set this year, that NONE OF US know about.

It might actually pay for many on here to actually watch this weeks Whiteboard Wednesday on the clubs webite.

Schwab explains the thinking and goal setting of the footy department with reference to the weekend and with reference to the "premiership window" the club is building towards.

It is very informative and may educate a few that on here are prone to rash comments with no real substance or thought.

Some people will never be pleased. If Hawthorn had have kicked 3 more quick goals Davey would have been lambasted for not slowing the play down. And when he does slow it down because he recognised the swing against us, he is still the culprit who cost us the game.

Give me a break.

It might actually pay for many on here to actually watch this weeks Whiteboard Wednesday on the clubs webite.

Schwab explains the thinking and goal setting of the footy department with reference to the weekend and with reference to the "premiership window" the club is building towards.

It is very informative and may educate a few that on here are prone to rash comments with no real substance or thought.

Some people will never be pleased. If Hawthorn had have kicked 3 more quick goals Davey would have been lambasted for not slowing the play down. And when he does slow it down because he recognised the swing against us, he is still the culprit who cost us the game.

Give me a break.

Hey GSOAG, just watched WW, how accurate was my post???!!!