NFL

Dappa Dan

Think Arizona can go to 2-1 and still be easily in the race, same with the 49ers at 1-2. Don't think you'll miss the NFC wildcard with 10 wins this year, my word Arizona were stiff last year.

NFC: Definitely 3 teams in the west who can make playoffs, 3 teams from the North, 3 teams from the south and probably just the Eagles in the East is my take. Arizona the best of the NFC teams who didn't make it last year, throw a blanket over Chicago, Detroit and Atlanta.

AFC: 2 teams from the West (sorry KC), 2 teams from the North (Cinn and Baltimore) I've written off Pittsburg, 2 teams from the South (Houston and Indy) and I'd still say 4 teams from the East, all of Miami, Buffalo and the Jets look good enough for 8 wins if they split their division games and take some games from the Pats. Think we'll get an 8-8 AFC wildcard and like last year it might be a battle to see who's good enough in the late season cold to get the job done.

Surely not just yet? They may be 2-0 but they've only played Oakland and Washington, so nothing to write home about. This week is the Giants, again not exactly stern competition.

I'd love to think Miami, the Jets and Buffalo are legitimate AFC East chances but I just can't bring myself to actually believe New England won't win it. I'd have thought San Diego/Denver would sort out the first wild card which leaves Baltimore/Cincinnati and the AFC Easters to battle for the second. 8-8 may well get it done!

Your defense will lift once Aldon Smith comes back and Kap can't play that badly. Though the biggest issue from the Bears loss is what is Harbaugh doing? He abandons the run with a lead in a game against the awful bears run defense. Mind boggling.

There's something a little Malcolm Blight about him I think. A little the longer he coaches the more he gets caught up in his own brand of crazy. The whole drama about trading him to Cleveland was fascinating stuff.

Our defence is already doing well despite no Aldon Smith and no Bowman either. Smith's not due back until mid-November, Bowman's less clear. Would be great to be still in the game by the time they come back and we go up another notch.

Kaepernick can definitely play that badly again, that's the thing about him. His best is good enough to win a Superbowl, his average is more than good enough, but there are still too many mistakes in his game.

Have they stopped scoring yet?

I had the day off from about 11.00 am and eagerly rushed home to pick up the game "live" ... 21 - zip was the score when I put the tele on ... a few minutes later it was 28 - 0 and that was the end of that.

At least tonight's footy might be a bit more competitive ... might be.

Edit: The footy is heading the same way

Edit II: The footy went the same way

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

I had the day off from about 11.00 am and eagerly rushed home to pick up the game "live" ... 21 - zip was the score when I put the tele on ... a few minutes later it was 28 - 0 and that was the end of that.

At least tonight's footy might be a bit more competitive ... might be.

Edit: The footy is heading the same way

Edit II: The footy went the same way

I had the day off too.. As much as I loved the falcons winning, a contest would have been a bit more exciting. As I said earlier not sure what to read into it, I think Tampa bay were very very average more so then us been awesome.. I'm praying the Vikings can keep the saints bad form going.. Been 2-0 in our division is very encouraging though

• Like 1

I had the day off too.. As much as I loved the falcons winning, a contest would have been a bit more exciting. As I said earlier not sure what to read into it, I think Tampa bay were very very average more so then us been awesome.. I'm praying the Vikings can keep the saints bad form going.. Been 2-0 in our division is very encouraging though

Yep, the "divisional" W/L record for the better performed teams within each division is something I've learned to keep an eye on over the years. I occasionally have a look at the Packers fan site and most of the talk is about the Bears, Vikings and Lions - the AFC barely gets talked about. It's so much different to the AFL in that sense.

4 years ago, Seattle won the NFC West with a record of 7/9 and beat the 11/5 Saints over the wild-card weekend. In reality there's 8 "ladders" (so to speak) and each division has it's own quirks. Atlanta will now be eyeing off the Panthers and the 2 games you've got against them suddenly become ultra important.

• Like 1

I remember Seattle pulling Wilson and putting Flynn in for some reps a couple of years ago. Seattle were smashing Detroit and instead of just running the ball Flynn started throwing long TD's. Carroll explained that they needed to give Flynn some real practice. I don't have a problem with it. From a viewers point of view I'd rather watch TD's then a second half of running plays for 2 yards.

I wouldn't say Atlanta ran this score up, the Bucs just kept giving them the ball back or completely missing players. They took Ryan out of the game half way through the third.

Pity Rainey didnt play this bad last week!

You're right ... and when they got to 56 points in rapid time, they took their foot off the pedal.

We were speculating on whether they would run up the score or not. Especially in the NFL, why would a coach risk his starters when the score becomes irrelevant.

They'd won the game and the way playoff spots are decided, "strength of victory" very rarely comes into play. In fact, I can't remember the last time "strength of victory" did come into play in deciding a playoff spot. Regardless, it happens so rarely that it's just not a part of how teams go about things.

The thinking in the AFL is almost the opposite but the way footy has become an endurance event, I believe the thinking will change in terms of percentage - albeit in a small way (initially)

Keeps getting worse for the Ravens and the NFL. EPSN running a piece saying the Ravens knew exactly what happened in the elevator, and Biscotti tried to bride Rice to keep with the team line once they sacked him.

The Rog's first interview for some time went down like a lead balloon too.

Go Broncs, the bastions of goodness, oh and welcome back Wes from your little holiday. Please be careful to not leave your drinks unattended ever again...

• Like 1

Latest column from Bill Simmons ...

NFL Week 3: Picks & Mailbag

Texans (-2) over GIANTS
Washington (+6) over EAGLES

Do you realize that Ryan Fitzpatrick’s Texans might be 8-0 heading into a Week 9 showdown with Nick Foles and the 7-0 Eagles? Look at their respective schedules; it’s not insane. You know what WAS insane? Eli saying the 2014 Giants are better than the 2013 Giants. They are equally awful, actually.

LIONS (-2.5) over Packers
It’s the I Don’t Trust Either Of These Teams Bowl. I don’t know who will win this game, but bad clock management will definitely be involved.

Once again, the TV games ...

Monday

3.00am - 9.30am RedZone (ESPN ... "Every Touchdown From Every Game")

3.00am Washington at Philadelphia (7mate)

6.25am Denver at Seattle (7mate)

10.30am Pittsburgh at Carolina (7mate & ESPN)

Tuesday

10.30am Chicago at NY Jets (ESPN)

All the week 3 games

What a choke by the Rams, 21-0 up half way through the second and we lose 31-34

Went for. 4th and inches when 15 yards out and failed, dropped a sitter in the end zone, got a terrible call against us when we tapped Romo's shoulder pads and they called it roughing the passer.

In the last we got them to 3rd and 13 and 15 and gave up the first downs, was horrible to watch, in those positions we went all out blitz when containing them to under 10 means a punt from their own 20-30 yrd areas, some terrible choices by our coaches today.

[censored] off right now.

Went for. 4th and inches when 15 yards out and failed, dropped a sitter in the end zone, got a terrible call against us when we tapped Romo's shoulder pads and they called it roughing the passer.

In the last we got them to 3rd and 13 and 15 and gave up the first downs, was horrible to watch, in those positions we went all out blitz when containing them to under 10 means a punt from their own 20-30 yrd areas, some terrible choices by our coaches today.

Ok this will hit a raw nerve.....but maybe you are tanking. If you're going to be crap why not be really crap and find the long term solution at QB. If Mariota or Winston (ewww) really are superstars then you'll have a good team for a long time as you've got some other pieces in place. 2nd and 3rd string QB's playing and you should be 2-1 (even if the competition hasn't been great). That's one of the best things about the NFL, it all comes down to tiny little moments in games and you can go from bad to good very quickly.

I was watching the red zone on espn and you blokes kept on scoring. I thought it was gonna be a blow out. Everything was going right for you and that changed pretty quick.

Surely not just yet? They may be 2-0 but they've only played Oakland and Washington, so nothing to write home about. This week is the Giants, again not exactly stern competition.

I'd love to think Miami, the Jets and Buffalo are legitimate AFC East chances but I just can't bring myself to actually believe New England won't win it. I'd have thought San Diego/Denver would sort out the first wild card which leaves Baltimore/Cincinnati and the AFC Easters to battle for the second. 8-8 may well get it done!

Houston in any other division are no chance. But the Colts are a seriously bad team that rides Andrew Luck to the bank and to victories. One JJ Watt destroying sack of Luck and they are favourite for the division.

Same with my thoughts on Jets, Miami and Buffalo. In 2 or 3 weeks it could again be a Pats certainty to win the division and the other teams mixing it with somewhere between 6-10 and 9-7 records. I still believe that's what would happen. But as of right now with the lack of divisional games and the Pats looking just good more than anything else I can't tip a winner in that division.

Better to leave more teams in than less when it comes to early season NFL. Already Pittsburgh have made me look silly for writing them off.

Both Dallas and the Rams aren't as bad as people think. Had Philly not won against Washington, it would be 3 sides on 2-1 and Skins on 1-2... Dallas will push Philly all the way up to the last 5-6 rounds when they play each other.... same as every other year.

Could be a long season for a few of us ... didn't we just come off another long season? These relentless long seasons are doing my head in :)

7 points against the Lions - the Packers are playing like a 4-12 team. Egads! ... now all my immediate hope rests with the Jets

Did I just say that?

Points tally in the comp

1 - Dappa Dan

0 - Everyone else (equal 2nd)

Ok this will hit a raw nerve.....but maybe you are tanking. If you're going to be crap why not be really crap and find the long term solution at QB. If Mariota or Winston (ewww) really are superstars then you'll have a good team for a long time as you've got some other pieces in place. 2nd and 3rd string QB's playing and you should be 2-1 (even if the competition hasn't been great). That's one of the best things about the NFL, it all comes down to tiny little moments in games and you can go from bad to good very quickly.

To be honest, the best thing out of the game was Davis, I think by years end he may replace Bradford if he continues to get better each week.

Now I've calmed down a little we did a lot right, just some dumb decisions, I'm was more angry with some decisions by Fisher and co.

This year will be interesting as I think our young RB's and WR'ers will be better for the run.

My take right now:

AFC East: Wide open. Will the Bills continue their run? Will the Jets front seven smash them to it? What about the Pats getting their two lines together? Dolphins aligning it all?

AFC North: Similarly open. The Bengals are one of the top two AFC teams for mine, but the Steelers, Ravens and even the Browns could all make noise.

AFC South: The Colts' to lose. Titans have issues, the Jags are still in rebuild (Bortle Kombat!) and the Texans have no real QB.

AFC West: Denver are leading, but the Chargers look even better and the Chiefs appear to have shaken off some of Week 1.

NFC North: The Pack has fallen away but the high-octane offenses of Detroit and Chicago have stepped up.

NFC South: Jesus Christ Atlanta. The Saints appear to have lost something, and if Cam doesn't recover the Panthers won't get there.

NFC East: Philly are improved, but Washington continue to surprise as do Dallas.

NFC West: All of the Cards, Seahawks and 49ers are playoff teams. If the Niners drop many more they'll fall away quickly though.

• Like 3

Points tally in the comp

1 - Dappa Dan

0 - Everyone else (equal 2nd)

No way. I thought for sure everyone would have tipped those. They were the only ones this week I thought even looked like it?

Got luck though with Ravens with their last minute FG.