NFL

Dappa Dan

Rules of the 'Demonland' NFL tipping competition ... (the same as last year except a couple more bonus weeks have been added)

* All participants get 3 picks only in any given week (but .. they must all be 'road' teams)

* Anyone who correctly tips all 3 winners from their 3 picks receives 1 point (any number of people can win a point in any given week)

* Bonus points are up for grabs in weeks 2, 5, 8, 11 and 14 (2 points to all winners) whilst week 17 carries 3 points to any given winner.

* No margins or correct scores are required - just the straight winners.

* If you miss a week or come into the comp later on, there is no penalty. You just simply miss the chance to win points for that week or weeks. You can join in the comp at any time.

* Your tips must be in before the start of Monday's games (AEST) ... or before the Friday game if you include that game. All 3 tips must be included in your post (editing your tips is strictly forbidden :))

* The person (or persons) with the most points at the end of the regular season wins.

For those out there who just read this thread, feel free to join in the comp. It's just a bit of fun and we could do with a few more people on the thread anyway.

Last year's notable point scorers ...

9 - Strafford, cowboy from hell (joint winners)

7 - pantaloons, Macca

5 - Gorgoroth

• Like 1

Vikes at home should be interesting, I've not followed them much pre season so I'm looking forward to the game!

It's probably a coin flip. Our secondary is still awful but we have improved up front and look to get after the QB. If you can establish the run early and find some rythm in the pass game then with that and your defense you have a very good chance. AP's first run last year went for 79 yards and a TD. Here's to hoping.

It's probably a coin flip. Our secondary is still awful but we have improved up front and look to get after the QB. If you can establish the run early and find some rythm in the pass game then with that and your defense you have a very good chance. AP's first run last year went for 79 yards and a TD. Here's to hoping.

Agree mate, AP scares me. I thought our run defense so far has been fairly average.

I hope Watts plays well, not seen a lot of Stacey over pre season, our WR seemed to have played really well and we seemed to convert a lot of 3rd downs.

Just as a sneak preview ...

In week one, 7mate are covering the Saints @ Atlanta early game (3am) and the 49ers @ Dallas late game (6.25am)

As well as covering an early and late game every Monday morning (our time) 7mate are covering SNF every week (in week 1, the Colts are at Denver in SNF)

But it appears no Thursday night games?

But it appears no Thursday night games?

Good news ... just checked the TV guide and 7mate are covering at least this week's Thursday night game (Packers @ Seattle) 7mate are also offering up a number of other programs specific to the NFL.

It pays to wait and see with the coverage of live NFL games though. At this stage, there doesn't appear to be any live games on Foxtel but that will probably change.

Anyway, for those who don't have cable, there are 4 live games to be shown on 7mate in week 1. Good line up of games this week too - I hope they keep up the quality of games on an ongoing basis.

• Like 1

Good news ... just checked the TV guide and 7mate are covering at least this week's Thursday night game (Packers @ Seattle) 7mate are also offering up a number of other programs specific to the NFL.

It pays to wait and see with the coverage of live NFL games though. At this stage, there doesn't appear to be any live games on Foxtel but that will probably change.

Anyway, for those who don't have cable, there are 4 live games to be shown on 7mate in week 1. Good line up of games this week too - I hope they keep up the quality of games on an ongoing basis.

I have the suspicion they're showing it this week because it's the kickoff game and technically part of NBC's 'Sunday Night Football', rather than a regular run of the mill 'Thursday Night Football' game. I liked those TNF games, they often involved teams you don't usually see during the year.

I have the suspicion they're showing it this week because it's the kickoff game and technically part of NBC's 'Sunday Night Football', rather than a regular run of the mill 'Thursday Night Football' game. I liked those TNF games, they often involved teams you don't usually see during the year.

You may be right ... we'll find out soon enough.

CBS in America are covering the first 8 or so Thursday night games I believe (except the first one it seems) so therefore, the quality of match-ups has improved quite a lot from previous years.

In week 2 we get the Steelers @ Baltimore then Tampa are @ Atlanta in week 3, the Giants are @ Washington in week 4 and so on and so forth.

A lot of divisional games obviously - in fact, all the Thursday night games are divisional games except for the week 14 match-up when Dallas are at Chicago.

Anyway, here's a bit of listening material for those who may be interested ...

The B.S Report podcast (Bill Simmons and Cousin Sal discuss the week 1 lines) ... Week 1 games

Edited by Macca

TV games ... I'll add any other games if they appear on Fox1, Fox2 or Fox3

Friday

10.30am Green Bay at Seattle (7mate & ESPN)

Monday

3.00am - 9.30am RedZone (ESPN ... "Every Touchdown From Every Game")

3.00am New Orleans at Atlanta (7mate)

6.25am San Francisco at Dallas (7mate)

10.30am Indianapolis at Denver (7mate & ESPN)

Tuesday

9.10am NY Giants at Detroit (ESPN)

12.20pm San Diego at Arizona (ESPN)

... All the week 1 games

I'm once again struggling to find 3 road winners and we've only just begun. In fact, I can't find one road team that I have any real confidence in.

I can see it now ...

Points tally

0 - Macca

I need more time for greater analysis ... might be Sunday before I decide ^_^

• Like 1

Bit late with my divisional tips but here goes ...

NFC

South - New Orleans

North - Green Bay (if Rodgers was at any of the divisional rivals, I'd pick that team)

East - Philadelphia

West - San Francisco

Wild-cards ... Seattle & Carolina

AFC

South - Indianapolis

North - Pittsburgh

East - New England

West - Denver

Wild-cards ... Cincinnati & KC

Super Bowl

49ers to defeat Denver

• Like 1

49ners Macca... They have looked pretty poor in the pre season.

I am the world's worst tipster

I basically tipped the same teams from last year to make the playoffs ... but, you can almost bank on at least 3 of those teams not making it and 3 other teams bobbing up from nowhere. Injuries play a major part also.

Seattle could start off where they left off too ... could the NFL have squared things up a bit and played the first game at Lambeau? Grossly unfair scheduling :)

Stuff it, doing it now

AFC EAST - Pats

AFC NORTH - Bengals

AFC SOUTH - Colts

AFC WEST - Chargers

W/C - Broncos/Bills

NFC EAST - Eagles

NFC NORTH - Packers

NFC SOUTH - Saints

NFC WEST - Seahawks

W/C - Lions/Rams

I sort of don't believe the rams will make it, but I can't tip the niners... Ha ha.

Gone for a few upsets, think the chargers will do very well this year.

• Like 1

I'll have a stab at this.

AFC East: Pats (No other team feels like winning this division ever)

AFC North: Bengals

AFC South: Colts with the Jags breathing down their neck. Bortles should start week 1.

AFC West: Denver just over San Diego.

W/C: San Diego,Steelers.

NFC East: Eagles. (Cowboys to have the worst record in the NFC)

NFC North: The pack again. (Rodgers MVP)

NFC South: Saints

NFC West: Seattle (Wilson will improve and be close to MVP)

W/C: Carolina,Arizona.

I'm not sure if I should do my tips now or wait for someone else to get arrested or suspended for PED's but let us begin.

New Orleans

Bengals

New England.

• Like 1

Carolina

New England

Cincinnati

As for tomorrow's game ... apparently the Seahawks are concerned about Lacy but I'm more concerned about Rodgers not getting crunched 8 times again (last time we visited Seattle, Rodgers was sacked 8 times)

It will be interesting to see how Seattle come out ... a few of the experts are saying they might drop off a bit but with that home field advantage and with that line-up of players, it's hard to see them not challenging again. Away from home could be interesting for the Seahawks though. Looking through their schedule, they haven't got an "easy" road game ... Seattle's schedule

Carolina

New England

Cincinnati

As for tomorrow's game ... apparently the Seahawks are concerned about Lacy but I'm more concerned about Rodgers not getting crunched 8 times again (last time we visited Seattle, Rodgers was sacked 8 times)

It will be interesting to see how Seattle come out ... a few of the experts are saying they might drop off a bit but with that home field advantage and with that line-up of players, it's hard to see them not challenging again. Away from home could be interesting for the Seahawks though. Looking through their schedule, they haven't got an "easy" road game ... Seattle's schedule

Russel Wilson must be loving all the attention he doesn't get. This kid has a superbowl ring and will only get better. A fit Percy Harvin will help him and then he has that famous defense to help him. If I ran their offense I would call Hail Mary plays all day. If they don't work the defense will get the ball back. Or against Green Bay it doesn't matter the Ref will call it a TD.

Russel Wilson must be loving all the attention he doesn't get. This kid has a superbowl ring and will only get better. A fit Percy Harvin will help him and then he has that famous defense to help him. If I ran their offense I would call Hail Mary plays all day. If they don't work the defense will get the ball back. Or against Green Bay it doesn't matter the Ref will call it a TD.

Yeah, I had a read of the article about Wilson in the latest SI mag. Interesting to say the least.

Some of his teammates call him "The Robot" but that can be taken in a few different ways. The big pay day is coming his way in a year or so but it looks and sounds like he's making some decent dollars right now (apart from his current football salary) Got a bit of an entourage happening but that's ok - he's got the talent to back it up.

What I like most about Wilson is how he goes in the big plays. All the best QB's have that skill. I picked the 49ers to win that division but only because I reckon the Seahawks might slip up a few times on the road. Could be 13 wins vs 12 wins with those 2 teams so every game dropped is so vital. I expect both teams to split their games against each other.

It's gonna be loud tomorrow! Usually I'd be concerned about losing the season opener but lets face it, it's gotta be the toughest road game in sports (apart from when the Demons are at Subiaco :))

... Keith Olbermann's take on the week 1 games (with a difference)

Edited by Macca