G C Suns

beelzebub

Where will Suns finish in 11  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok, who they have that is AFL ready in the forward line?

Who can actually carry their forward line?

No one I see yet and no one in the draft.

They will struggle for a while yet.

Yeah, just like Geelong and their lousy forward line struggled through winning 2 premierships in 3 years (sarcasm by the way). Same thing with West Coast in 2006, their superior midfield compensated for forward line deficiencies. And Sam Day (freak of nature forward - in the draft, supposedly you haven't seen) will be a gun right off the bat and better than a lot of forwards already in the system.

They are taking (so they say) 8 of their "out of contract" singings this year, so will have 8 more to come. They really need a couple of tall forwards and a couple of developed ruckmen. Their young players are a year behind ours, and should therefore be peaking in 2014/15. They have a lot of these, and some very early draft picks this year.

They have to get themselves together, hovever, and with only 8-12 players who are not 18-20, that will be uphill going in 2011/12. I reckon:

2011: 13-15, or bottom 2 if they can't get a decent culture going.

2012: 10-14

2013: 5-8

2014: maybe top 4

2015: top 4, maybe GF.

These predictions depend on things going right for them, including McKenna proving to be a good coach, being able to get thje right "out of contract" signings, a good culture developing, and the overpaid young not going off the rails, and most of their current young and the ones they get in 2011 and 2012 drafts living up to their potential.

They are taking (so they say) 8 of their "out of contract" singings this year, so will have 8 more to come. They really need a couple of tall forwards and a couple of developed ruckmen. Their young players are a year behind ours, and should therefore be peaking in 2014/15. They have a lot of these, and some very early draft picks this year.

They have to get themselves together, hovever, and with only 8-12 players who are not 18-20, that will be uphill going in 2011/12. I reckon:

2011: 13-15, or bottom 2 if they can't get a decent culture going.

2012: 10-14

2013: 5-8

2014: maybe top 4

2015: top 4, maybe GF.

These predictions depend on things going right for them, including McKenna proving to be a good coach, being able to get thje right "out of contract" signings, a good culture developing, and the overpaid young not going off the rails, and most of their current young and the ones they get in 2011 and 2012 drafts living up to their potential.

Wrong - GC have one year at OOC signings, no matter how many they sign - it's over fot them this year. GWS have the following 2 years.

You got chapter and verse on that old55?

GC here:

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=88635

"Draft concessions enable Gold Coast to sign up to 16 uncontracted players in the 2010 post-season."

GWS here:

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=86208

"Team GWS will enjoy the same draft pick concessions as the Gold Coast franchise but will be given extra time to build its list.

Team GWS will have access to 16 uncontracted players, from AFL clubs, across a two-year period. If it can’t sign 16 players in 2011, it can continue signing players in 2012."

team of teenagers travelling interstate every 2nd week to take beltings from a plethora of top vic sides

not to mention an empty, superficial culture that IMO still lingers at Port and Freo, and in all likelihood a small, dispassionate supporter base

will be a tough few years first up

They have an amazing list of kids. Whats going to be really sad is by the time melbourne is heading to a grand final they will probably be unstoppable. If we lose to them in a grand final ill pretty much stop watching AFL. The AFL have bought this club a premiership and it will only take a few years.

I wouldn't be surprised if they make the top 8 to be honest. They will have a very solid team, and because it's been built right from the ground up, they're able to plan out their players and gameplan a lot more fittingly according to their list. They can have real depth if they play their cards right, and already have a few solid veterans that would all be in the top 22 of any team in the league.

They will go undefeated in the near future. By around 2015-2017, we will start to see something super from that team.

Don't agree, by 2015-2017 Ablett and co will be the wrong side of 30, they'll be out of draft picks and just won't have the depth of talent. Not all their picks are going to become AFL stars. They'll play finals in a year or 2 but that's it.

They have an amazing list of kids. Whats going to be really sad is by the time melbourne is heading to a grand final they will probably be unstoppable. If we lose to them in a grand final ill pretty much stop watching AFL. The AFL have bought this club a premiership and it will only take a few years.

Unstoppable ? I'm thinking there's a team that will most certainly stop them in their tracks ... Keep your eye on the Red and the Blue ;)

In light of now knowing more about their list I wonder how many who had them as say bottom eight might now reassess and put them into the 8 ? I still reckon they will surprise if not shock a few teams once they settle a bit and that will not take nearly as long as some think. I'm still thinking they might finish 8th. Home ground advantage might play a little in this too.

In light of now knowing more about their list I wonder how many who had them as say bottom eight might now reassess and put them into the 8 ? I still reckon they will surprise if not shock a few teams once they settle a bit and that will not take nearly as long as some think. I'm still thinking they might finish 8th. Home ground advantage might play a little in this too.

I'm sticking with bottom 45 (5 now with 17 teams)

takes a new team a long time to gel

The man speaks the truth, awesome assembly of "out-of-contract players" and fresh talent from the draft, this team will be a powerhouse no doubt. Can't say the same for GWS though.

The man speaks the truth, awesome assembly of "out-of-contract players" and fresh talent from the draft, this team will be a powerhouse no doubt. Can't say the same for GWS though.

You never actually know how your draft picks will develop, and I'd suggest that only Ablett is an out and out superstar and a massive win for them.

Fraser is crap, Bock is old and injured, and Brown and Harbrow are not going to make any structural difference. They are basically us 3 years ago. They're starting from scratch but with the exception of having a star player already in the mix (who is going to be tagged within an inch of his life).

They need to develop key position forwards and backs, they need to develop a solid midfield and they need to ensure they don't completely overwork their 17 year olds. It's not going to be as simple as "we've had 10 top picks in one year so we're ahead of teams that have been rebuilding for 3 years".

You've still got to put the time into developing these kids. There is no magic formula to rush that process, and they need every single one of their draft picks to turn into a star if they're going to be winning a flag in a couple of years. Reality tells us that won't happen.

You never actually know how your draft picks will develop, and I'd suggest that only Ablett is an out and out superstar and a massive win for them.

For the most part, yes, "never actually know how your draft picks will develop" is true. But, in GC's case, David Swallow, Harley Bennell and Sam Day will be certified sure-fire guns. Swallow and Bennell right from the start. And most definitely Andrew Gaff too, if WC choose to acquire home-grown talent with their first round pick again this year. Remember they have the top 3 picks, plus every second pick in the first round and the first pick of every round after that. On top of that, they have 10 pre-draft selections they can use or trade away for extra picks (i.e Andrew Krakoeur). With all that considered, there isn't a lot of room for error.

As for superstar wins, Ablett isn't the only one. Getting a 2010 B&F from Brisbane, a premiership player from Hawthorn and an All-Australian from Adelaide is hardly scraping the bottom of a barrel. Harbrow, Brennan and Krakoeur are no slouches either.

Fraser is crap, Bock is old and injured, and Brown and Harbrow are not going to make any structural difference. They are basically us 3 years ago. They're starting from scratch but with the exception of having a star player already in the mix (who is going to be tagged within an inch of his life)

You really come across as somebody new to the game or somebody who solely watches MFC games. The reality is they have orchestrated a phenomenal list (courtesy of Scott Clayton), you can deny it and ridicule it as much as you want, but the fact of matter is it will work. Have a look at this post late next year and tell me I am wrong, rip into me as much as you want. I guarantee you it won't happen. The GC Suns are designed to look great from the start and dominate not long after, they are being given every advantage the AFL could possibly offer without looking 100% completely biased toward the new team.

The GC Suns are designed to look great from the start and dominate not long after, they are being given every advantage the AFL could possibly offer without looking 100% completely biased toward the new team.

I think you are spot on here, the AFL has and will do everything it can to ensure on field success for the new franchise clubs (just wait to see the easy draw they will probably be gifted with) because they know that without success it will reflect badly on the AFL and the clubs would struggle to gain traction into traditionally non-AFL territories.

However, at the end of the day they still have to do all the hard yards and in such a competitive and professional sport there is only so much that separates the top teams (drawn grand final a perfect example although Geelong of 2007 is an obvious exception but that was at least 5 years in the making) and strategies and game plans (and their execution) count for just as much as quality players.

You really come across as somebody new to the game or somebody who solely watches MFC games. The reality is they have orchestrated a phenomenal list (courtesy of Scott Clayton), you can deny it and ridicule it as much as you want, but the fact of matter is it will work. Have a look at this post late next year and tell me I am wrong, rip into me as much as you want. I guarantee you it won't happen. The GC Suns are designed to look great from the start and dominate not long after, they are being given every advantage the AFL could possibly offer without looking 100% completely biased toward the new team.

If GC wins a flag before we do, it's because we have managed to screw things up, not because they've trumped us. That is all.