titan_uranus

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd make 5 changes this week ...

Out:

P.Johnson (probably never to return)

Rivers (looks redundant in our developing backline)

Sylvia (time is surely running out for this bloke)

Bruce(injured)

Bate(injured)

In:

Morton (will add much needed class to the side)

Martin (don't really rate any of our second string talls but he's my preferred option to support Jamar)

Gysberts (30 touches in two's, deserves his first guernsey)

Macdonald (quicker and more mobile than Rivers)

Wonaemirri (1 goal in the second half suggests we need to strengthen our forward line)

Obviously we will not make this many changes but here are some swaps that I think should be made.

Out: PJ

In: Dunn

As much as Dunn is my favourite whipping boy he must come in for PJ who was horrible again this week. Dunn is a decent ruckman and offers a bit around the ground. If not Dunn then maybe Martin, but Bailey seems to like Dunn so I am assuming he will come in.

Out: Bennell

In: Jetta

Bennell has certainly shown a few good signs over the last few rounds however he went missing for too long too often again this week. I see these two as very similar players who are unlikely to both be in the side at the one time. I think it is time for Jetta to get another AFL chance.

Out: Bruce (inj)

In: Strauss

While I think Bailey will likely pick MacDonald instead I think Strauss is the future, his form has been decent at Casey and we really need his kick from the kick outs.

Out: Hughes

In: Wona

Speaks for itself I think. We have been waiting to see Wona back in the red and blue for over a year. It will be interesting to see how he goes now as he stood out in a horrible Melbourne team in 08 and while we were horrible on Saturday, as a whole we are vastly improved.

Out: Sylvia

In: Morton

Sylvia, you are a high draft pick who teased us for years and finally stepped up last year. This year you have not been interested or committed. You will obviously find your way back to the seniors but dropping quality players not putting in adequate performances is a proven way to lift the whole team, look at St Kilda dropping Milne and Dal Santo two years ago.

Out: Bartram

In: Cheney

This one will not happen as Bartram was in good form before this week and every other player (bar junior) was extremly average. Cheney has, by all reports, been very good out at Casey and that needs to be rewarded. Bartram should be well aware of the fact that if his performances are not consistently good he will find himself playing out at Casey for an extended period of time.

Players I would like to think are knocking on the door an unlucky to be included in my massive list of changes are:

Gysberts

Bail (if fit)

If Bate is unfit perhaps bring in Gysberts for him, however I am hoping Bater plays and starts learning where to kick for Watts/Wonna as the link man for the coming years.

IMO Sylvia is exactly the sort of player you don't allow to have long runs of poor form just because he has the talent to be a gamebreaker.

History suggests to us that when Sylvia gets comfortable, laziness and poor attitude creeps in.

Maybe he is a bit underdone, and that could excuse him for failing to make some contests, but he was selfish yesterday. He went for the glorified long bombs at goal, and was rarely seen chasing or tackling. That is inexcusable, especially when you have a long history of playing rubbish, selfish, hero football.

He has really matured and improved in the last two years, no doubt. But in the last 3 weeks I've seen moments of the old Sylvia that really disappointed me. Maybe it's because he thinks his spot in the side is safe, when perhaps he is the sort of player who needs to constantly have failure pushed in his face in order to push himself to succeed.

Either way, 3 terrible weeks have earnt him a run with Casey IMO, because he doesn't have enough runs on the board to let performances like yesterday slide... especially when you have Morton, Gysberts, Jetta, Aussie, Miller and so forth pushing their case in the VFL.

Yep. I've loved Sylvia's last 20 games, but he was lazy against the Eagles (not the only one mind you) and thus deserves a run in the VFL.

Edited by AdamFarr

But there are still senior players in this side who don't stand up when the team needs them (Bruce, Rivers, Johnson)...

I think that's very harsh on Rivers. He showed leadership by constantly pushing back to plug holes and help out teammates. There's not a lot more he could do really. I agree with Bruce and Johnson though. Especially Bruce.

I'm not, I genuinely believe he's the worst, softest player on any AFL list.

We don't have to have a star there at the moment, but someone who can give the Russian a break without us getting chopped up while he's resting. Newton no matter what some people think of him has shown that he ca ngo into the ruck for short stints & at least halve the contest. When the ball hits the ground he can get involved to link play up & at a pinch he can give us a long option forward target to bring the ball to ground for our rovers.

While he may not be the best at any of these single attributes, he does them all fairly well.

Anyway, Spencer's not too far off having another crack.

Obviously we will not make this many changes but here are some swaps that I think should be made.

Out: PJ

In: Dunn

As much as Dunn is my favourite whipping boy he must come in for PJ who was horrible again this week. Dunn is a decent ruckman and offers a bit around the ground. If not Dunn then maybe Martin, but Bailey seems to like Dunn so I am assuming he will come in.

Out: Bennell

In: Jetta

Bennell has certainly shown a few good signs over the last few rounds however he went missing for too long too often again this week. I see these two as very similar players who are unlikely to both be in the side at the one time. I think it is time for Jetta to get another AFL chance.

Out: Bruce (inj)

In: Strauss

While I think Bailey will likely pick MacDonald instead I think Strauss is the future, his form has been decent at Casey and we really need his kick from the kick outs.

Out: Hughes

In: Wona

Speaks for itself I think. We have been waiting to see Wona back in the red and blue for over a year. It will be interesting to see how he goes now as he stood out in a horrible Melbourne team in 08 and while we were horrible on Saturday, as a whole we are vastly improved.

Out: Sylvia

In: Morton

Sylvia, you are a high draft pick who teased us for years and finally stepped up last year. This year you have not been interested or committed. You will obviously find your way back to the seniors but dropping quality players not putting in adequate performances is a proven way to lift the whole team, look at St Kilda dropping Milne and Dal Santo two years ago.

Out: Bartram

In: Cheney

This one will not happen as Bartram was in good form before this week and every other player (bar junior) was extremly average. Cheney has, by all reports, been very good out at Casey and that needs to be rewarded. Bartram should be well aware of the fact that if his performances are not consistently good he will find himself playing out at Casey for an extended period of time.

Players I would like to think are knocking on the door an unlucky to be included in my massive list of changes are:

Gysberts

Bail (if fit)

If Bate is unfit perhaps bring in Gysberts for him, however I am hoping Bater plays and starts learning where to kick for Watts/Wonna as the link man for the coming years.

Thats a good report 'rednblue', I could easily settle for that, no trouble.

Guest Thomo

I cant believe people are looking to drop Hughes, I thought his game on Saturday was equal to Watts and considering the ball delivery he did OK.

Said this in another thread. Hughes should be dropped. No place in a team for a bloke looking for a free kick rather than a second effort.

I am surprised that more people haven't thrown Strauss into the mix.

It seems the general consensus is that MacDonald and Rivers are too similar but Joel offers more run. If Rivers keeps his spot, which he is likely to do, surely Strauss offers even more run than Joel.

With Bruce injured and played HBF role lately I think it is the perfect time for Strauss to come in and use his damaging kick to get us out of our backline.

We were abosolutely horrible on Saturday, and as in another post on thie topic inferred we all reach for the button marked PANIC......from looking at the game on Saturday, Junior's place is the only safe one......but we won't have 21 changes.......let's wait and see.........if I was a forward on Saturday and I am dropped I would be very aggreived unless my name is Sylvia.....but even he couldn't get near the ball, never mind exert an influence........our handball mania was horrible to watch.......I would only look at injury changes.....

We don't have to have a star there at the moment, but someone who can give the Russian a break without us getting chopped up while he's resting. Newton no matter what some people think of him has shown that he ca ngo into the ruck for short stints & at least halve the contest. When the ball hits the ground he can get involved to link play up & at a pinch he can give us a long option forward target to bring the ball to ground for our rovers.

While he may not be the best at any of these single attributes, he does them all fairly well.

Anyway, Spencer's not too far off having another crack.

Michael Newton has never, ever done any of those things any better than what PJ did on the weekend.

I cannot think of a single player at Casey right now who isn't ahead of Newton in every conceivable way.

Has never done a thing at any level, other than grow to a certain height, that gives him any right to a spot in our senior team.

OUT: Bruce (inj), Bate (inj), Hughes, Johnson, Bartram

IN: Dunn, Cheney, Gysberts, Morton, Wonaeamirri

Surprised more people aren't calling for Dunn to be recalled.

I think we really missed him on Saturday.

Bartram has been a good defender, but it hurts having both him and Rivers rebounding from defence.

Too many times the ball was in his hands when we needed to execute and he couldn't do it.

OUT: Bruce (inj), Bate (inj), Hughes, Johnson, Bartram

IN: Dunn, Cheney, Gysberts, Morton, Wonaeamirri

Surprised more people aren't calling for Dunn to be recalled.

I think we really missed him on Saturday.

Bartram has been a good defender, but it hurts having both him and Rivers rebounding from defence.

Too many times the ball was in his hands when we needed to execute and he couldn't do it.

Did Dunn play for Casey or was he held out as our emergency?? He was conspicuously absent from the reports from the game. I'd say that's been the main reason not many are calling for him here. Coupled with a few notable names kicking goals and/or featuring in the best that has probably squeezed Dunn down the lists of us armchair experts.

Rivers provides nothing offensively and Rivers as a stopper was beaten on the 1 on 1s. As you admit our backline is heavy with Rivers there but he stays.... Gotcha. :wacko:

Actually, I agree that Rivers should go, I just don't see any benefit in bringing Joel McDonald in to replace him. I'd much prefer to see a smaller running type take his place. The games we won came from superior running power, not from tall marking players. We have plenty of stopping power for the talls in our back 6 in Warnock, Frawly and Garland. Each of those players can run and carry as well as do the job defensively (yes, even Warnock). There is no need to add Rivers to the mix. Grimes and a couple of fater running players works just fine for me.

Ideally, I'd like to see the ins and outs for this week something like this:

Out: Bate (inj), Bruce (inj), Rivers, PJ

In: Gysberts, Wona, Bail, Morton

If Bail or Morton are not yet fit enough or deemed to need another game at Casey, you could put Jetta into the mix. Cheney is close as well, but I don't like the thought of him missing targets when kicking across the face of goal as he did repeatedly against Coburg.

If these changes came in, we'd have far more running power and we'd be bringing in some very good ball-users to improve delivery to the forwards. I'd be inclined to put Morton into the forward 50 in place of Bate. He's shown in the last few weeks that he can kick some nice goals and with his height he'd b a hard matchup. Wona also in the F50. I'd be inclined to move Green into the backline to replace Bruce and use his great foot skills to set up play. Gysberts into the guts as he has been at Casey. He's all class and can only help. Bail to do exactly as he was at the start of the season. Watch us run them into the ground.

Did Dunn play for Casey or was he held out as our emergency?? He was conspicuously absent from the reports from the game. I'd say that's been the main reason not many are calling for him here. Coupled with a few notable names kicking goals and/or featuring in the best that has probably squeezed Dunn down the lists of us armchair experts.

Not sure.

I don't think he's injured. If he is fit I want him in the team; he is important to our set up.

I don't think Hughes was that bad. He presented pretty well and took some good marks and i actually place the blame on the midfield for the pathetic disposal. Our forward structure was lacking (this is true) but our delivery into the fifty wasn't much better. Much like Watts, Hughes had to come into the center of the ground to even get the ball because we couldn't clear the ball out for a clearance cleanly.

Hughes was in the top 7 for stats. I though he could have made some marks he didnt. He packs a cannon and on the stats evidence and the poor ball movement forward I would perservere with him.

Colin Sylvia has been in the last 5 on stats for two weeks.

Davey was also in the bottom 5 this week.

Bennells stats were middle ranking but my subjective judgement was that he was ineffective.

Rivers disappoints - misses chest marks (WB + WCE) is slow and kicks poorly and we have too many talls in the back line not enough run (Grimes).

I can excuse younger players for bad play they ar eprogressing and need game time. I cant excuse older players.

I wait for the Casey summary and the injury news to propose a team.

I cant believe people are looking to drop Hughes, I thought his game on Saturday was equal to Watts and considering the ball delivery he did OK.

Im with you. His stats were better than Watts actually. I hope our supporters relax on Watts and treat every player equally. Just because he was number doesn't he deserve more than the last rookie selection. I know he is going to be a gun. But seriously clapping him in the warm up?