What is missing in our side

2014-Flag

We all on here go through our selections every week and say how much harder it is getting to pick the team etc etc, but the fact remains we are still 1-2, were thrashed by Hawthorn, pipped by the magpies, and only overcame Adelaide in the dying minutes of the game when they only had one interchange player in the last quarter.

This begs the question where are our weaknesses and which players will not make it into our top four side. I know some will say that once they first round draft picks get between 20 and 50 games then we will make it via that route. Personally I think we need more than that as there are clear weaknesses which still need filling, and at the moment the most urgent is that we are incapable of kicking a large score, as well as kicking straight.

I'd nominate the foowing weaknesses:

1. Second ruck/power forward. Gawn may be the answer eventually, maybe Martin immediately

2. Centre half forward. Watts is the obvious answer, with maybe eventually backed up by Fitzpatrick

3. Small crumbing forward. Wonna is the answer IMO. Pity we missed out on Alwin Davey though.

4. Back flanks: we still need some good running backs in the Stephen Febey mould. the attack out of defence IMO often goes missing under pressure

What do others think?

The time factor's important to give our young players the opportunity to develop physically and mentally into a team that can win games on a regular basis. Already this year we've seen improvement in our defence and midfield. Mark Jamar is carrying the ruck division and ultimately we need to see Jake Spencer and/or Max Gawn develop. Our key forward hopes are pinned on Jack Watts but I'd like to see us recruit another tall forward as a back up.

We have most of the ingredients already there. We need some of those young players to not only mature but to move up to elite status. In two year's time I want to pick up Mike Sheahan's top 50 list of players and see a couple in the top 10 and 5 or 6 in the 50 rather than none or just one in the high 40s as has happened in recent years.

We all on here go through our selections every week and say how much harder it is getting to pick the team etc etc, but the fact remains we are still 1-2, were thrashed by Hawthorn, pipped by the magpies, and only overcame Adelaide in the dying minutes of the game when they only had one interchange player in the last quarter.

This begs the question where are our weaknesses and which players will not make it into our top four side. I know some will say that once they first round draft picks get between 20 and 50 games then we will make it via that route. Personally I think we need more than that as there are clear weaknesses which still need filling, and at the moment the most urgent is that we are incapable of kicking a large score, as well as kicking straight.

1. Second ruck/power forward. Gawn may be the answer eventually, maybe Martin immediately

2. Centre half forward. Watts is the obvious answer, with maybe eventually backed up by Fitzpatrick

3. Small crumbing forward. Wonna is the answer IMO. Pity we missed out on Alwin Davey though.

4. Back flanks: we still need some good running backs in the Stephen Febey mould. the attack out of defence IMO often goes missing under pressure

What do others think?

I believe the answer is straight from "The Gospel According to Bailey" - Time and Games.

1. Gawn and/or Fitzpatrick.

2. Watts/Bate/Sylvia/whoever we will rotate players through CHF.

3. Aussie by a mile is our only natural crumbing forward (apart from Aaron who no longer plays that role). I believe that Alwyn is overated.

4. Garland/Grimes/Strauss/Morton/Bennell/MacDonald/Bruce will all play running off half back at times.

What do others think?

Maturity, Leadersip across the team, Experience, Hardness yet to be instilled, Ruthlessness, More Pace, general Height. You did say Top 4, didn't you. I think we are a Looong Way from that ATM.

Then start with the list & those players which just don't go on, yet to be seen who, & the inevitable injuries that occur to every team.

Its easy to get in front of ourselves, we want it soooo much.

Not as far from Top 8, but the climb starts getting harder after leaving the 'base camp'.

What do others think?

That all makes sense but in reality even premiership teams have holes. The four areas you've pointed out are certainly deficiencies but at the end of the day Scully, Trengove, Morton, Grimes, McKenzie and Blease need to become the best midfield in the competition and Jack Watts needs to become a dominant key forward. If this happens we'll be top four for 5 or 6 years and have a chance at a flag.

To be honest I don't think you need the 'perfect' set up in terms of playing stocks to be top 4. We certainly need someone to help out Jamar, but the bulldogs have shown you can get to the top 4 without big forwards.

The main thing we need is more players capable of executing under immense pressure. Mainly I mean using the ball, because that is the critical area, but I also mean position specific skills - taking marks, kicking goals, breaking the lines, winning hitouts, spoiling in the backline. If you look at Hawthorn last night too many of their blokes just couldn't do it. It was the same story for us in round 1. As we got our pressure up to a required level, the pressure on us eased, which resulted in the reasonable results in the last 2 games.

When I think of Melbourne players able to do this I think of Frawley, Grimes, Green, Sylvia, the skipper. At their best I don't think Petterd and Bate are far away. It's a bit different for a ruckman but I feel Jamar is starting to do this. Scully and Trengove look like they will. Morton is probably able to do this, Garland too. Bartram is only a 10% improve in his kicking to be really useful. Jurrah is a freak who only needs a small gap to be able to hit the scoreboard. Davey, Moloney and Bruce aren't bad either.

To get more players able to do this we need to get the games into them. Scully, Trengove, Watts, Bennell, Strauss and whoever else from the untried brigade who step up (Blease, Gysberts, Tapscott, Gawn etc) need that 40 or more games.

What do others think?

1. Definately used the previous draft to fill this void. Gawn and Fitzpatrick will fill these spots.

2. Watts, and only Watts will play this role. When Watts, Jurrah and Green play in the forward line together, watch out opposition defences.

3. It would not surprise me if Marric was drafted to play this role but has not developed like many thought he would. Wonna the obvious here but can't get on the park.

4. I have no problem with this position, in fact i think we have healthy competition for this role. Strauss, Grimes, Blease, Bennell, Cheney, MacDonald all can play this role.

I think all the pieces are there its just a matter of getting them to play the roles and get some muscle on these kids and the puzzle will look start looking like it can be put together