Free Agency is Here from 2012

Daz's Dee's

http://www.heraldsun...f-1225833790534

I am not a big Kennett Fan but he makes a good point about those scummy player agents using the system to help line there pockets

Just read it myself and there are causes for concern . In principle what the AFL/AFLPA propose is manifestly ok. I would have thought 8 years excessive personally and figure 6 years...which equates to nominally a player drafted ( 2 years) and two subsequent 2 year deals ...as being fairer. Also 8 years with ONE club...a bit rich.

I tend to agree with ol Jeffrey that this will become very tempting to the likes of some of our more entrepreneurial style managers to orchestrate things even more. This then further skew-iffs the scene distorting it. The flow on is then is lays a filed to embellish this or that totally undermining the spirit of this Free Agency idea.

Its good in theory...but wide open in practice.

gets a C- from me...needs to be reworked and more realistic.

Here we go.....

If anyone wants to see how the F/A can hurt a club, watch the NBA F/A coming up.

LeBron James, Chris Bosh & Dwayne Wade all enter the F/A this season, and each player is the cornerstone of their teams. Watch how money can change loyalty, or what price a team has to pay to retain loyalty (can you say MAX deal!!)

This scares me. Players in their "twilight years" will rip your heart out of your chest by jumping on board for little cash to join a premiership contender.

Young players will force clubs to sign them above their worth, forcing their hand in letting other plays walk due to cap restraints.

You can NEVER replace a "once in a generation" player. A compensation pick is just a pick, you are never guaranteed to get what you lost.

2012........there goes the neighborhood! (Carn the Dees!)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/hawthorn-president-jeff-kennett-slams-free-agency/story-e6frf9jf-1225833790534

I am not a big Kennett Fan but he makes a good point about those scummy player agents using the system to help line there pockets

This is going to be the Number one Topic for years to come. There will definately be tweaks to this Blue print as we move forward.

The interesting point to me is that if a "Power" Club offers a new large contract to a player that is not matched, then they must pay that fee. With a salary Cap that is stringent which should help stem the flow. The Dick Pratt factor will be the on going x in the puzzle.

But i am more interested in how The MFC can make the system work in our favor. Is this the kick in the Ass this club needs?

Do we have to always be a small club, will be interesting to hear what Stynesy & Schwabb have to say.

Free Agency ultimately means that the MFC have to make some clever & shrewd decisions in the next 2-3 years.

We have to be winners so that players will want to play for the MFC.

$$$ are important but so is job satisfaction.

i don't know whether i like Free agency or not, but if it is here i think 8 years is a good number.

This policy will either propel our magnificent club into the 21st century or kill it, but i think all 18 clubs are in the same boat. Do the AFL want to kill the competition?? i doubt it. I think they would love 12 teams around the country down the road. The MFC must be one of them.

If the AFL are strict and fair dinkum, any club caught rhorting this system should be hung out to dry Carltank style and more.

Because even the power clubs if they over commit and get it wrong, their running costs could blow right out.

As a member i would like to know the MFC stance on this Free Agency-Jim Stynes said last year this club could be one of the biggest in the world in time....If that is to happen the Club and all who love Melbourne have got to make Free Agency work in our Favour.

Go The Mighty Demons Forever.... ;) ;)

Edited by why you little

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/hawthorn-president-jeff-kennett-slams-free-agency/story-e6frf9jf-1225833790534

I agree with Jeff kennett. It will make the greedy player managers eventually pit player against player, club against club all for making a buck. Loyalty will now seriously be questionned and pretty much out the window.

He is the only one who has spoken up passionately. The fans are none the wiser, probably because of never ending changes to rules, 3rd party payments, and so on. The AFL have slipped this in reasonably swiftly and I wonder if Ed McGuire and J.Brayshaw were present instead of their Olympic committments, what they would say ?

Never mind the current restrictions. In four years it will be reviewed and the AFLPA will lodge for less.

And does anyone know really why player managers of the ilk of Craig Kelly want Kennett to go jump back "in their box?"

Edited by Grimes to Watts

I agree with Jeff kennett. It will make the greedy player managers eventually pit player against player, club against club all for making a buck. Loyalty will now seriously be questionned and pretty much out the window.

He is the only one who has spoken up passionately. The fans are none the wiser, probably because of never ending changes to rules, 3rd party payments, and so on. The AFL have slipped this in reasonably swiftly and I wonder if Ed McGuire and J.Brayshaw were present instead of their Olympic committments, what they would say ?

Never mind the current restrictions. In four years it will be reviewed and the AFLPA will lodge for less.

Yes How Far can we trust Ricky Nixon or Craig kelly in the coming years. We need to know what the MFC Board is thinking about all this.

This stuff has got to be right-otherwise the club is in danger. We are still crawling from the mess 3 years ago.

Some Interstate clubs have waiting lists for Membership

We need that Darwin Connection along with Casey-new Members

Winning a few games may help to!!!!!

from what I gather, Nixon isn't exactly over the moon about it. he has some concerns.

Has Nixon said anything public? i would like to read what he has too say

Expected him to be on SEN this week but has not been on when i am tuned in.