• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

KPF should not be a priority in this draft

green_machine

From memory, ours is actually pretty good. The last two years, we've been a HUGE way back in the amount of inside 50's we get, compared to other teams. I think 2008 was a record low. This will no doubt improve next year, with all the highly rated mids getting plenty of game time.

Drafting talls shouldn't be a priority, but if a decent KPP was available at 11 or 18, we should take it. Reading through BF, most are saying Black is likely to be drafted by us at 11, but most think he's definitely not the best available kid at pick 11.

Yeah pretty sure I heard during the season that our forward line was quite effective.

Agree but I still think we might not go tall untill 18, we will have to wait and see.

Can someone find the % of goals from inside 50's?

This would be the best stat to see how effective our forward line is.

Melbourne averaged 3.7 disposals inside attacking 50 per goal compared to the most succesful team with excellent KPP's St.Kilda who averaged 3.8.

Below is the list of Coleman medal winners in the last 50 years with those highlighted in red playing in a premiership in the same year.

2009 Brendan Fevola Carlton 84

2008 Lance Franklin Hawthorn 102

2007 Jonathan Brown Brisbane Lions 77

2006 Brendan Fevola Carlton 84

2005 Fraser Gehrig St Kilda 74

2004 Fraser Gehrig St Kilda 90

2003 Matthew Lloyd Essendon 87

2002 David Neitz Melbourne 75

2001 Matthew Lloyd Essendon 96

2000 Matthew Lloyd Essendon 94

1999 Scott Cummings West Coast 88

1998 Tony Lockett Sydney 107

1997 Tony Modra Adelaide 81

1996 Tony Lockett Sydney 114

1995 Gary Ablett Geelong 118

1994 Gary Ablett Geelong 113

1993 Gary Ablett Geelong 124

1992 Jason Dunstall Hawthorn 139

1991 Tony Lockett St Kilda 118

1990 John Longmire North Melbourne 98

1989 Jason Dunstall Hawthorn 128

1988 Jason Dunstall Hawthorn 124

1987 Tony Lockett St Kilda 117

1986 Brian Taylor Collingwood 100

1985 Simon Beasley Footscray 93

1984 Bernie Quinlan Fitzroy 102

1983 Bernie Quinlan Fitzroy 106

1982 Malcolm Blight North Melbourne 94

1981 Michael Roach Richmond 86

1980 Michael Roach Richmond 107

1979 Kelvin Templeton Footscray 91

1978 Kelvin Templeton Footscray 118

1977 Peter Hudson Hawthorn 105

1976 Larry Donohue Geelong 99

1975 Leigh Matthews Hawthorn 67

1974 Doug Wade North Melbourne 91

1973 Peter McKenna Collingwood 84

1972 Peter McKenna Collingwood 130

1971 Peter Hudson Hawthorn 140

1970 Peter Hudson Hawthorn 146

1969 Doug Wade Geelong 122

1968 Peter Hudson Hawthorn 125

1967 Doug Wade Geelong 79

1966 Ted Fordham Essendon 73

1965 John Peck Hawthorn 56

1964 John Peck Hawthorn 68

1963 John Peck Hawthorn 69

1962 Doug Wade Geelong 62

1961 Tom Carroll Carlton 54

1960 Ron Evans Essendon 67

In addition Melbourne has won 12 Premierships and had 9 VFL/AFL leading goalkickers but NEVER in the same year. Interestingly we won the Premiership in 1939, '40 ,'41, the goalkicking in 1943, '44, '45 & '47. then won the Premiersip in 1948. In our Golden Era of the 50's & 60's the leading goalkickers in our Premiership years returned;

1955 34

1956 42

1957 56

1959 46

1960 38

1964 35

in 5 of those 6 Premiership years our leading goalkicker was a midfielder.

I'm not stupid enough to say an extra class KPP wouldn't help but teams that share the goals around are more successful statistically.

We need good players, not depth.

There is no point going for KPF at 11 or 18 unless the bloke is going to be good enough to demand the footy in a forward line where the mids will be going to Watts and Jurrah.

He better be a bloody good prospect...

Butcher is hands down a bloody good prospect. It wasn't long ago he was touted a top 2 in the draft. He could well turn out the steal of the draft at 11. A forward line boasting 6 of Watts, Jurrah, Butcher, Martin, Maric, Bate, Sylvia, Morton, Wonaeamirri, Petterd, Jetta and Davey is going to be very, very, very good. Sure, anyone of those guys could get injured but it's hardly going to become one dimensional.

On potential we've got the team to take this game to another level.

Take Scully and Trengove at 1 and 2, but if Butcher's there at 11 we'd be insane not to pick him up.

Melbourne averaged 3.7 disposals inside attacking 50 per goal compared to the most succesful team with excellent KPP's St.Kilda who averaged 3.8.

Below is the list of Coleman medal winners in the last 50 years with those highlighted in red playing in a premiership in the same year.

2009 Brendan Fevola Carlton 84

2008 Lance Franklin Hawthorn 102

2007 Jonathan Brown Brisbane Lions 77

2006 Brendan Fevola Carlton 84

2005 Fraser Gehrig St Kilda 74

2004 Fraser Gehrig St Kilda 90

2003 Matthew Lloyd Essendon 87

2002 David Neitz Melbourne 75

2001 Matthew Lloyd Essendon 96

2000 Matthew Lloyd Essendon 94

1999 Scott Cummings West Coast 88

1998 Tony Lockett Sydney 107

1997 Tony Modra Adelaide 81

1996 Tony Lockett Sydney 114

1995 Gary Ablett Geelong 118

1994 Gary Ablett Geelong 113

1993 Gary Ablett Geelong 124

1992 Jason Dunstall Hawthorn 139

1991 Tony Lockett St Kilda 118

1990 John Longmire North Melbourne 98

1989 Jason Dunstall Hawthorn 128

1988 Jason Dunstall Hawthorn 124

1987 Tony Lockett St Kilda 117

1986 Brian Taylor Collingwood 100

1985 Simon Beasley Footscray 93

1984 Bernie Quinlan Fitzroy 102

1983 Bernie Quinlan Fitzroy 106

1982 Malcolm Blight North Melbourne 94

1981 Michael Roach Richmond 86

1980 Michael Roach Richmond 107

1979 Kelvin Templeton Footscray 91

1978 Kelvin Templeton Footscray 118

1977 Peter Hudson Hawthorn 105

1976 Larry Donohue Geelong 99

1975 Leigh Matthews Hawthorn 67

1974 Doug Wade North Melbourne 91

1973 Peter McKenna Collingwood 84

1972 Peter McKenna Collingwood 130

1971 Peter Hudson Hawthorn 140

1970 Peter Hudson Hawthorn 146

1969 Doug Wade Geelong 122

1968 Peter Hudson Hawthorn 125

1967 Doug Wade Geelong 79

1966 Ted Fordham Essendon 73

1965 John Peck Hawthorn 56

1964 John Peck Hawthorn 68

1963 John Peck Hawthorn 69

1962 Doug Wade Geelong 62

1961 Tom Carroll Carlton 54

1960 Ron Evans Essendon 67

In addition Melbourne has won 12 Premierships and had 9 VFL/AFL leading goalkickers but NEVER in the same year. Interestingly we won the Premiership in 1939, '40 ,'41, the goalkicking in 1943, '44, '45 & '47. then won the Premiersip in 1948. In our Golden Era of the 50's & 60's the leading goalkickers in our Premiership years returned;

1955 34

1956 42

1957 56

1959 46

1960 38

1964 35

in 5 of those 6 Premiership years our leading goalkicker was a midfielder.

I'm not stupid enough to say an extra class KPP wouldn't help but teams that share the goals around are more successful statistically.

Good post.

Even in 2009, the Cats leading goal kicker was Mooney with 41, followed by Stevie J with 39, Hawkins 30, Byrnes 29 and Chapman 27. So, with those stats in mind, and given 2-3 more years to continue to develop, I think Watts can quite easily be a 40+ goals a year even playing that CHF/Mid role. I think Martin (assuming he is played forward a majority f the season) can return around that 30 goals a season, Jurrah around the 35+ (he kicked 20 in 9 games). What that leaves us needing is more, FAR MORE from our midfield in the coming years. Geelong, the benchmark, dn't get huge amounts from their KPF, but they make up for that with a good, solid return from their mids.

So, with that in mind, I'm still a big believer that we don't need a KPF in the draft (especially if Thorp is to be taken in the PSD - the Club wuld know now if that will happen). What I want to see is a bigger return (in terms of goals) from blokes like Petterd, Wona (providing he can come back and play the level consistently that he showed), Sylvia, Moloney, Bate (kicked 27 this year, needs to do it again with interest!), Green, and even Morton. These guys really need to be aiming to kick a minimum of 15 each, and that would just be a "pass", the expectation I would be putting on them is to get 20 a year. Throw Thorp in there who really needs to be a 35 goal player, and all of a sudden we become a nightmare team to coach against due to trying to shut down goal scorers.

The question some people will ask is about our KPF's (Thorp and Watts) getting injured, well, by rights we will have enough goal scorers to cover any absence.

If Vardy has potential to be a top ruckman, and get to the same level as Butcher would if he fulfilled his potential, I'd take Vardy any day. Rucks is by far our biggest weakness, distant 2nd is KPF's. If anyone can understand what I'm getting at there, and write it in a better way, I'd appreciate it!

Edited by billy2803

We need good players, not depth.

There is no point going for KPF at 11 or 18 unless the bloke is going to be good enough to demand the footy in a forward line where the mids will be going to Watts and Jurrah.

He better be a bloody good prospect...

Agree he better be good. What we have other than excitement in Watts & Jurrah, doesn't appear to be "bloody good."

If the FD finds it not bloody good, pick a mid. I'd prefer the Mfc to wait until they comes accross someone who is.

Fwiw, I was impressed by Talia.

Good post.

Even in 2009, the Cats leading goal kicker was Mooney with 41, followed by Stevie J with 39, Hawkins 30, Byrnes 29 and Chapman 27. So, with those stats in mind, and given 2-3 more years to continue to develop, I think Watts can quite easily be a 40+ goals a year even playing that CHF/Mid role. I think Martin (assuming he is played forward a majority f the season) can return around that 30 goals a season, Jurrah around the 35+ (he kicked 20 in 9 games). What that leaves us needing is more, FAR MORE from our midfield in the coming years. Geelong, the benchmark, dn't get huge amounts from their KPF, but they make up for that with a good, solid return from their mids.

If the Cats had had 1 top line forward able to kick goals when it mattered they'd have won three premeirships in a row. F##k Geelong, I don't want us to be as good as Geelong. I want us to be better, much better. We've got the midfield and runners, give me 2 power forwards who can demolish the opposition. We owe to ourselves and to the future generations of Demon supporters to make the next 12 years something that becomes talked about in the distant future.

If the Cats had had 1 top line forward able to kick goals when it mattered they'd have won three premeirships in a row. F##k Geelong, I don't want us to be as good as Geelong. I want us to be better, much better. We've got the midfield and runners, give me 2 power forwards who can demolish the opposition. We owe to ourselves and to the future generations of Demon supporters to make the next 12 years something that becomes talked about in the distant future.

I agree Roost, BUT...

This is the AFL. Clubs these days will NEVER, EVER dominate decades like they used to. The comp is too even. I would love to be better than Geelong, but hey, if we can be as good as them, I'll be happy to win 2 flags in 3 years, I'll be happy with 1, any more is a bonus!!!

St Kilda had/have a top line forward don't they? They didn't win the flag.

I agree Roost, BUT...

This is the AFL. Clubs these days will NEVER, EVER dominate decades like they used to. The comp is too even. I would love to be better than Geelong, but hey, if we can be as good as them, I'll be happy to win 2 flags in 3 years, I'll be happy with 1, any more is a bonus!!!

St Kilda had/have a top line forward don't they? They didn't win the flag.

St Kilda had Raph Clarke, Steve Milne, Farren Ray and a few others who were all found seriously wanting when the heat was applied. Like i said, I want the MFC to be better than Geelong. Butcher at 11

St Kilda had Raph Clarke, Steve Milne, Farren Ray and a few others who were all found seriously wanting when the heat was applied. Like i said, I want the MFC to be better than Geelong. Butcher at 11

So Mooney alone cost Geelong that Grand Final against the Hawks? Gotta be kidding mate. Sure he missed some goals, but there were a number of others (like you mentioned for St Kilda), that went hiding that game.

Geelong had the same "no top line forwards" in 2007, they won by over 100 points. Who kicked their goals if they didn't have a top line forward???

Butcher is a huge risk IMO. If he is the best of the KPF, we need to go mids (or Vardy). Let's be honest and realistic, Watts is still some risk, do we want to take another risk, a far bigger risk on another light-framed KPF?

Edited by billy2803

The trouble with lining up Coleman Medals to Premierships is that it can work both ways for the argument -

On the one hand, it definately shows that you don't have to have the leagues No. 1 goalkicker on hand to win a premiership.

On the other hand, it might be seen to imply that having at least a second high quality target up forward, spreading the goals rather than focusing through a single target, might be worth something.

Or, if you really wanna get stuck into it, you could argue that forwards working together effectively to use space, create one-on-ones and control the most dangerous areas is most important. In which case, I'd argue that we should draft a tall now so that these kids can work out their system together and develop it over the years.

And go all out for the best forward line coach we can get. Someone who will teach unselfish play and smart cooperation. Anybody got some names worth thinking about? (I have no objection to Moloney, but lets think as if at square 1)

Edited by Distance Demon

If we feel we need another KPF and we agree on a few premises then it's clear we should try and get KPF this year if we can.

Premise one is that the later in the draft the less chance you have of getting a decent KPF.

Premise two is that our picks in the near future are going to be quite late, given the heavily compromised nature of the drafts and expected improvement from us.

Premise three is that talls take a long time from drafting to impact (drafting one a year or two before you're a contender probably won't assist you terribly much).

Premise four is that it's difficult to get a tall forward via trade unless they have very serious issues (how many have been traded in recent times apart from Hall and Fev?).

Where did this formulated opinion that we do not have enough talls come from?

Pretty interesting from someone with two posts :)

So Mooney alone cost Geelong that Grand Final against the Hawks? Gotta be kidding mate. Sure he missed some goals, but there were a number of others (like you mentioned for St Kilda), that went hiding that game.

Geelong had the same "no top line forwards" in 2007, they won by over 100 points. Who kicked their goals if they didn't have a top line forward???

Butcher is a huge risk IMO. If he is the best of the KPF, we need to go mids (or Vardy). Let's be honest and realistic, Watts is still some risk, do we want to take another risk, a far bigger risk on another light-framed KPF?

No, but if they'd had another KPF who couldh've kicked the goals instead of points Hawthorn wouldh've been beat at half time. Don't underestimate the lift in confidence a team gets when their KPF kicks truly. That's all Geelong needed to finish the Hawks in the first half of that game.

Then what happened in 08?

Butcher is a risk but if you'd been watching him play over the last few year's you'd pick him at 11 in an instant. I have very few doubts about his ability to make it as a KPF, and with Watts and Jurrah that would make us truly great to watch. Don't you just love watching a big bodied player in Red and Blue bust open a pack take the ball and kick a goal. It brings people through the gates and it wins games.

Watts is very, very, low risk. Both Watts and Butcher will turn out big bodied players. Don't be fooled by their current weight. You seem to dismiss Butcher so easily. I'll say this. If he is available at pick 11 The MFC will pick him without hesitation.

No, but if they'd had another KPF who couldh've kicked the goals instead of points Hawthorn wouldh've been beat at half time. Don't underestimate the lift in confidence a team gets when their KPF kicks truly. That's all Geelong needed to finish the Hawks in the first half of that game.

Butcher is a risk but if you'd been watching him play over the last few year's you'd pick him at 11 in an instant. I have very few doubts about his ability to make it as a KPF, and with Watts and Jurrah that would make us truly great to watch. Don't you just love watching a big bodied player in Red and Blue bust open a pack take the ball and kick a goal. It brings people through the gates and it wins games.

Watts is very, very, low risk. Both Watts and Butcher will turn out big bodied players. Don't be fooled by their current weight. You seem to dismiss Butcher so easily. I'll say this. If he is available at pick 11 The MFC will pick him without hesitation.

IF your granny didn't have them, she wouldn't be one...If St Kilda didn't have 3 umpires against them in this years GF, they would have won. It's poor evidence in this argument Roost.

Watts is very low risk for sure, but still some risk. The main reason why Butcher is sliding so much, and why I consider him a big risk, is due to his performance during the U18 National Champs. I can assure you, if he played better than what he did, I'd be on the Butcher wagon too. These are the big games he needs to prove himself in as a kid, but he didn't quite do it.

You tell me what is wrong with Watts/Thorp/Stef Martin as our big forwards and Jurrah causing havoc. That stinks of success if you ask me.

You need KPF's to win Grand Finals, but you need a better midfield who are capable of kicking bags of goals, just in case these KPF's are held (eg. Reiwoldt/Kosi this year).

I think everyone arguing to go for height with picks 11 and 18 are taking butcher (or equivalent) and then somehow imagining he will turn out to be a Riwolt, a brown or a franklin or a Pavalich or a roughhead. Chances of that is almost nil. All the champion KPF forwards (fev excluded) were pretty much classed as top 5 prospects and selected as such. We gambled for a player like this last year by grabbing Watt's.

Realistically the sort of tall player that we are talking about getting with pick 11 and 18 are;

2001 Luke molan (9), MAcguire, Seaby, Charlie Gardner

2002 Laycock (9), Nick Smith (15), Minston (20)Lonergan (23), Paul Johnson (24).

2003 No serviceable talls picks 9 to 25

2004 Bate, Dunn, Cameron Wood, Rusling

You are not getting "Great" players by punting on talls with these picks. If you punt on midfielders over the same period there are a number of "Great" players in the same pick range. If you think Butcher will be as good as Brown then argue black and blue that we should get him and take your case direct to headquarters. If you are arguing we should get this tall or that tall or this other tall because you want tall. Well then the list above tells you what you are getting, if you are happy with pick 11 to be a Seaby then good.

Someone is going to come up say that we are better at drafting these days but that just means that anyone good will go top 5. Clubs should pick talls, WB, Collingwood, Richmond and others all have place for a Seaby. Melbourne doesn't so that is why directing picks towards talls is pointless. Best available talent every time.

In our 151 years we have never had a 100 Goal kicker.

I would love to see that change-with a cup of course!

Did Butcher have just a couple of bad games in the U18 champs or was he found out?

I didn't see any of the games-did anybody here see them.

Early in the year Butcher was red hot around here.

I agree with the fact we should take big butcher at 11 if he is there. But I feel we are wasting our breath even talking about it as he is very unlikely to be there. It would seem Port are dead keen on him. So the question really is what to do with pick 11 if Butcher is gone. Do we go next best in Talia? Is he what people call a quality kpp or tapscott or Stevens or Lucas who would add further polish and grunt to our midfield?

Have a look at our 2010 list as it stands. There are 33 players on that list. Have a good look. How many players on that list could hold down a key forward position in 3-5 years time? Answer... ONE!!! Jack Watts. Not Bate, Martin, Jurrah or Garland. They are needed elsewhere. We don't have a back-up if Watts gets injured. That's why we need to go for a KFP player at pick 11 (assume Skully and Trengove go at 1 and 2 and Butcher in the first 10). At this stage it looks like our best options are Black, Carlisle or Talia. I don't know if there is a standout selection between these 3 players, so I just hope the FC gets it right. As for pick 18, I'd prefer picking a ruckman like Vardy. Jamar is 26 and the only other ruck options in 3-5 years are Spencer and Martin. This draft is about setting us up for the next 5 -10 years.

Edited by DirtyDees DDC

Have a look at our 2010 list as it stands. There are 33 players on that list. Have a good look. How many players on that list could hold down a key forward position in 3-5 years time? Answer... ONE!!! Jack Watts. Not Bate, Martin, Jurrah or Garland. They are needed elsewhere. We don't have a back-up if Watts gets injured. That's why we need to go for a KFP player at pick 11 (assume Skully and Trengove go at 1 and 2 and Butcher in the first 10). At this stage it looks like our best options are Black, Carlisle or Talia. I don't know if there is a standout selection between these 3 players, so I just hope the FC gets it right. As for pick 18, I'd prefer picking a ruckman like Vardy. Jamar is 26 and the only other ruck options in 3-5 years are Spencer and Martin. This draft is about setting us up for the next 5 -10 years.

Wrong, wrong, WRONG!!! Jack Watts can not be classed as a KPF in 2010, he is still a kid and far from the level we need him at, he will get there, but not 2010. If Watts plays 12+ games I will be stoked. Martin has more chance of playing KPF than Watts this year. And with Martin, I don't believe he is needed elsewhere, he was experimented with this year, and will continue to be in 2010 but not to the same extent. He is going to be a valuable forward for Melbourne, and will do his bit as third ruck.

I love the idea of Vardy at 18, perfect pick. Will he be there? I think so. Will Ball be there at 18? Not sure, so if Melbourne really want him, I think 11 is there best option. If Vardy is gone by 18 and we get Ball at 11, there will be another tall of some potential still around, and if not, there will be a great midfielder.

There have been probably 20-25 names that continually get mentioned as potential to 15 players, they will not all be picked up by pick 18, so we are still going to get something that some people call reasonable should our preferred option be gone.

Wrong, wrong, WRONG!!! Jack Watts can not be classed as a KPF in 2010, he is still a kid and far from the level we need him at, he will get there, but not 2010. If Watts plays 12+ games I will be stoked. Martin has more chance of playing KPF than Watts this year. And with Martin, I don't believe he is needed elsewhere, he was experimented with this year, and will continue to be in 2010 but not to the same extent. He is going to be a valuable forward for Melbourne, and will do his bit as third ruck.

I love the idea of Vardy at 18, perfect pick. Will he be there? I think so. Will Ball be there at 18? Not sure, so if Melbourne really want him, I think 11 is there best option. If Vardy is gone by 18 and we get Ball at 11, there will be another tall of some potential still around, and if not, there will be a great midfielder.

There have been probably 20-25 names that continually get mentioned as potential to 15 players, they will not all be picked up by pick 18, so we are still going to get something that some people call reasonable should our preferred option be gone.

He's talking in 3 -5 years, not 2010. As for Ball, forget it, the MFC are not going to pick him with picks 11 or 18, it just won't happen. Footynut is correct in saying Butcher will be gone before pick 11 and DDDC is correct in saying Watts is our only genuine KPF. The club will be gunning for a KPF in this draft, there is no doubt about it. If KPF's are not a priority in this draft then why is Thorp training with us and why do we constantly hear from the club about our need for quality talls?

Edited by Roost It

I agree with the fact we should take big butcher at 11 if he is there. But I feel we are wasting our breath even talking about it as he is very unlikely to be there. It would seem Port are dead keen on him. So the question really is what to do with pick 11 if Butcher is gone. Do we go next best in Talia? Is he what people call a quality kpp or tapscott or Stevens or Lucas who would add further polish and grunt to our midfield?

I don't think Butcher.

I agree we should look to a Tall marking forward who will bust packs also, @ 11 or 18.

But one who can kick to a teamate on the run, lace out. Talia is one I think will grow into this type, like Morton.

Not one who can only mark & is stuck in the full forward line.

Carlisle, maybe Black, I haven't seen him, but a must is being able to pass off the ball on the run to a teammate on the run, like a Neitz!

After our midfield guns at 1 & 2, I think the next most important factor is quality disposal, which has been stated as a high priority. This possibly means Tapscott & Talia if they're still around (who else???).

Remember that we have two virtual recruits in Blease & Strauss who also have excellent disposal. This makes SIX new top-20 picks, all with high-quality disposal, to be added to the 2009 list, at least half of whom (Trengove, Blease, Scully, plus Tapscott if we get him) are also goalkickers themselves - we need much much more goals from our midfield.

The packbuster looks great the one time in twenty that it comes off, but it's by far the lowest-percentage approach to goal. It's all about hitting a target inside 50 who can convert, whether they be massive, tiny or in between.

Edited by Akum

It looks like most of the first 10 picks in this draft will be Midfielders, but there might be at least 5 - 6 talls in the second 10 (black, Carlisle, Vardy, Talia, Griffith, and Panos). If we pick a KPP at 11, we might be very lucky and get Vardy at 18.

If this morning's news is correct, it wont be Luke Ball. The Herald Sun reports that Ball has chosen essendon or collingwood as his preferred destination, and Melbourne is being 'actively discouraged' from selecting Ball at pick 18. There is talk that Ball might take 12 months off if selected by certain clubs. If this is true, then this should be the end of the 'Luke Ball to Melbourne' saga.

It looks like most of the first 10 picks in this draft will be Midfielders, but there might be at least 5 - 6 talls in the second 10 (black, Carlisle, Vardy, Talia, Griffith, and Panos). If we pick a KPP at 11, we might be very lucky and get Vardy at 18.

If this morning's news is correct, it wont be Luke Ball. The Herald Sun reports that Ball has chosen essendon or collingwood as his preferred destination, and Melbourne is being 'actively discouraged' from selecting Ball at pick 18. There is talk that Ball might take 12 months off if selected by certain clubs. If this is true, then this should be the end of the 'Luke Ball to Melbourne' saga.

since you mentioned I'll say it again - I just hate Luke Ball.