Juice Newton- Criticisms, Comments and Kudos

Biffinator

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine a forward line with Robbo, Miller, Watts & Newton - not too many teams that could muster up the tall timer to cover all of them. Newton wouldn't get the better defenders every week. Alot of options there.

Doesn't scare at all.

One is at the end of the line.

One is at the start of the line.

The other two will have have a few good days in between a number of not so good (possibly rotten) days.

Dunno why the 1 quarter thing keeps coming up. We led at quarter time, and led by more at half time ..

Terry the Tanned started the ball rolling at the Presser by saying "we won three quarters, 10 goals to six and lost one 8 to 3", conveniently reducing the match to whole numbers and ignoring the fact that the Demons actually won the first by three behinds despite hitting the post four times. He's a master of spin if nothing else.

Dunno why the 1 quarter thing keeps coming up. We led at quarter time, and led by more at half time ..

It was a big quarter, no doubt. Just simply stating the facts that we were outscored in three quarters yet still won the game. Room for improvement is the point of the post.

Hmm. I can't form a solid opinion on Juice. Need to see more of him. Maybe he could become a Cameron Mooney type player? Take a contested mark inside 50 and then dish the ball off to someone who's a decent set shot at goal. Like Green or Watts.

dissapointed with a lot of people in this thread...

to make life easier, how about you forget every other game he has played up to this date.

pretend that he has been playing reserves for a couple of years because of immaturity. you havent heard much about him. then, this 21 year old bursts out onto the scene.

forgetting his past (which is very very very hard for some of you to do by the looks of things) at first notice, yesterdays game wasnt bad at all. you might be a bit worried about kicking. but 3 contested marks. a couple of goals. a couple of chases. a couple more decent oppurtunities for goal and i dont think it was a very bad effort.

now to condemned, you werent sure what a 1%er is. To my understanding, it is things that help the team without you gaining possesion. Such as a shephard/block etc.

for newton to have some of these against his name only helps to argue your point.

Terry the Tanned started the ball rolling at the Presser by saying "we won three quarters, 10 goals to six and lost one 8 to 3", conveniently reducing the match to whole numbers and ignoring the fact that the Demons actually won the first by three behinds despite hitting the post four times. He's a master of spin if nothing else.

From my perpspective, I thought we only won one quarter. The first quarter was a rabble and inconclusive.

It was a big quarter, no doubt. Just simply stating the facts that we were outscored in three quarters yet still won the game. Room for improvement is the point of the post.

The actual fact is that we won 2 quarters and were outscored in two

Hmm. I can't form a solid opinion on Juice. Need to see more of him.

It can't be can it? No, my eyes must be deceiving me. A person wants to take the time to analyze a bit of evidence over a period of time before jumping to knee-jerk, reactionary conclusions? On a footy board? Hallelujah!!!

Well done to you sir/madam.

Even though I pay the MCC membership, I feel I enter each match for "free."

If I'd paid to watch that first quarter, I'd have felt like it was a loss. Absolutely pathetic skill level from both sides

My mistake. You're right we won the 1st with 2.6 to 2.3. Apologies. It felt like a loss at the time.

Correct.

Lot of energy expended for little value.

Even though I pay the MCC membership, I feel I enter each match for "free."

If I'd paid to watch that first quarter, I'd have felt like it was a loss. Absolutely pathetic skill level from both sides

Good slant on it.

To be fair, we hit the post 4 times in a row. Had we converted those opportunities, we would have comfortably won that first quarter.

We definitely started to peak about 15 minutes into the game, and dominated from half way through the first quarter, until about 10 minutes before half time (because we were 'icing' the half-baked cake :rolleyes: )

To be fair, we hit the post 4 times in a row. Had we converted those opportunities, we would have comfortably won that first quarter.

Fact is we didn't. And as we had expended a lot of energy without scoreboard impact, that is a "loss" in my book. Given we ran out of legs in the last shows we have a finite tank of effort within.

And the fact that we did not nail gettable shots all day kept the Tigers in it.

Surely this week no one should be bagging a player it was a great team effort I really don't think we had a bad player on the ground. This is why I get so fratratured with the team. I know we played a poor team but if we played like we did on Sunday we will still probably lose a lot more games than we win but we won't get belted like we have in the past and that's all I'm looking for.

It was clearly Newton's best game ever he played well but it could have been a lot better if he kicked straight. I'm far from sold on him sunday's performance was a step in the right direction for him.

Glad Juice played a much better 4 quater effort, as i posted in casey reviews from what i saw there he has been working hard and haing him up forward gae us alot more structure gradual improvements iis fine by me and with brad green now out this is the time for juice to work even harder and not take it for granted

Surely this week no one should be bagging a player it was a great team effort I really don't think we had a bad player on the ground. This is why I get so fratratured with the team. I know we played a poor team but if we played like we did on Sunday we will still probably lose a lot more games than we win but we won't get belted like we have in the past and that's all I'm looking for.

It was clearly Newton's best game ever he played well but it could have been a lot better if he kicked straight. I'm far from sold on him sunday's performance was a step in the right direction for him.

I don't agree that players should be immune from criticism when we have a win, but I do have to admit that it was Newton's best game to date and that he should get credit for that at least.

Unfortunatley, team effort or no, Newton's was still a poor display in which his fatal flaws were once again clearly eveident - and I'm not talking about his accuracy here.

I've only just gotten around to watch the reply, and have admittedly only watched the first half thus far, but Newton's field kicking is ordinary and some of his decision making was awful yesterday.

I'm not trying to knock him down for the sake of an argument, but he has so many deficiencies (marking is his only strength) which I truly can't see him ever overcoming. Perhaps he'll prove me wrong the way Miller proved a lot of our supporters wrong, and I hope he does, but in the meantime I'm sticking with my "won't make it" assessment.

Correct.

Lot of energy expended for little value.

Good slant on it.

I don't think that's right.

True, we were lucky the Tigers did not punish our mistakes, but their two first quarter goals were heavily umpire influenced (I have rabbitted on elsewhere about the novice Findlay wanting to find his feet, and I see his pre-bounce report was duly tossed).

By the 10 minute mark we were controlling the flow of play and while we continued to make mistakes, and they did likewise, we did hit the post four times. By the quarter's end we were clearly on top.

Lot of energy expended and the return I think, was some self-belief among the players.

I don't think that's right.

Lot of energy expended and the return I think, was some self-belief among the players.

I

At qtr time the game could have gone either way and we have worked hard and not put the score on the board.

We were fortunate that Richmond were a rabble on the day.

I want to like Newton, hes a pretty good mark... spectacular at times.

We need to remember that he is still developing and has deficiencies but we can see evidence that he is working on those.

Hes definately chasing (laid 4 tackles) alot more.

Could have easily had 3 goals if he kicked straighter but it was his first game back for the season so hopefully he will improve again in the coming weeks.

I want to like Newton, hes a pretty good mark... spectacular at times.

We need to remember that he is still developing and has deficiencies but we can see evidence that he is working on those.

Hes definately chasing (laid 4 tackles) alot more.

Could have easily had 3 goals if he kicked straighter but it was his first game back for the season so hopefully he will improve again in the coming weeks.

Things to consider:

1. Newton is 21 years old

2. Newton is 91 kg's, still very underdeveloped for a tall forward. He should be aiming for 96-98kg at least, so he is still 3-4 years away from hitting his optimal weight where he will reach his peak physically, also around the same time he should be maturing mentally.

3. Newton took 3 contested marks inside 50, compared to 1 contested mark for the whole team in round 1 (which was on the half back flank).

4. 'Newton is lazy' is a myth perpetrated by idiots on this site. He chases, tackles and bumps harder than any other tall forward in our side.

5. We have won every single match this year that Newton has played. "No Newton = No Melbourne".

Keep up the good work Juice.

I don't agree that players should be immune from criticism when we have a win, but I do have to admit that it was Newton's best game to date and that he should get credit for that at least.

Unfortunatley, team effort or no, Newton's was still a poor display in which his fatal flaws were once again clearly eveident - and I'm not talking about his accuracy here.

A very hazy shade indeed.