• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Is it possible to sell games to Casey instead of Canberra?

LeBron James

Okay, well the ground at Canberra facility-wise aint too flash, and Casey is steadily improving.

Say in 2 years time, would it be an option to sell games to Casey for around 500,000 each game? Or would the Casey council not have that much money at their disposal?

I think it would be a good option, as i can't see too many Canberra locals jumping on board, but with the already vast groundwork we are laying in Casey this could do wonders.

Guest JACKtheRIPPER

i dont think the people from brookland greens would be to happy but it would be good if it happen we need to sell another game to canberra after todays financial report

Okay, well the ground at Canberra facility-wise aint too flash, and Casey is steadily improving.

Say in 2 years time, would it be an option to sell games to Casey for around 500,000 each game? Or would the Casey council not have that much money at their disposal?

I think it would be a good option, as i can't see too many Canberra locals jumping on board, but with the already vast groundwork we are laying in Casey this could do wonders.

It would not be a matter of selling it to Casey as they would not need to have it or want to pay for it. Rather like Skilled Stadium having a game there with a crowd of about 18000 would earn us about $400000. Playing the same game at the G would earn us nothing and in fact would cost us.

It would not be a matter of selling it to Casey as they would not need to have it or want to pay for it. Rather like Skilled Stadium having a game there with a crowd of about 18000 would earn us about $400000. Playing the same game at the G would earn us nothing and in fact would cost us.

Exactly.

Selling games to Casey would be akin to selling oil to the Mid East.

Selling games to Casey would be akin to selling oil to the Mid East.

I agree re selling the game to casey, but.....

playing our own Single or 2 games at casey would potentially net us equal or greater then the interstate deals we have (Advertising, Catering, Gate reciepts etc). I'm sure we don't need to "Sell" the game rather using it as a partnership with the council where the MFC operates the day and takes the profits. Everybody is a winner provided we get 15k-20k at the game.

The temporary stands that the GP uses surely would not cost much to have them up for the day. I'm sure the AFL may even chip in on promotion of the game similar to any canberra deal. I would be supprised if we don't see this by 2012. Bring it on!

I agree re selling the game to casey, but.....

playing our own Single or 2 games at casey would potentially net us equal or greater then the interstate deals we have (Advertising, Catering, Gate reciepts etc). I'm sure we don't need to "Sell" the game rather using it as a partnership with the council where the MFC operates the day and takes the profits. Everybody is a winner provided we get 15k-20k at the game.

The temporary stands that the GP uses surely would not cost much to have them up for the day. I'm sure the AFL may even chip in on promotion of the game similar to any canberra deal. I would be supprised if we don't see this by 2012. Bring it on!

Don't know if we could "Sell", to city of casey, But, just maybe we could make it like a carnival type thing where people would go to the footy whilst local traders pay as a group, sponsorship of the game & set up stalls & sell & display there products. Make a day of it starting @ 10.00AM with a 12.30PM start time, game followed by some entertainment for the kids with the players returning post game & mingle for 1/2 an hour.

Don't know if we could "Sell", to city of casey, But, just maybe we could make it like a carnival type thing where people would go to the footy whilst local traders pay as a group, sponsorship of the game & set up stalls & sell & display there products. Make a day of it starting @ 10.00AM with a 12.30PM start time, game followed by some entertainment for the kids with the players returning post game & mingle for 1/2 an hour.

Grass roots sort of stuff, great idea, even a clinic in the morning in one of the other ovals in the area - maybe give out a few tickets to those in melbourne jumpers etc.

Still need the corporate sponsors to get on board otherwise the venture would be set to fail.

No need to sell games to Casey, if the long-term deal with the MFC and Casey is signed (which it should be soon) then hopefully a "boutique" stadium can be built there and Melbourne can hold two or three games down there.

It's one thing to get as many Melbourne supporters signed up as members, but Melbourne needs more supporters too. I heard an interview with Cameron Schwab on SEN last night and he mentioned that very point. What he didn't mention was that Casey is the perfect opportunity to grow the membership (and supporter) base, especially if home and away games can be played down a Casey Fields.

I heard an interview with Cameron Schwab on SEN last night and he mentioned that very point.

The Schwab interview on SEN last night was a beaut. I know we occasionally get transcripts of interviews from people here; if it were possible to get a transcription of that one it would be very informative. It was a long, in depth interview with Cameron about the financial status at the club and how he sees us going forward. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, getting Schwaby is going to be seen as one of the most important things that we did to get out of the mess we put ourselves in.

It's one thing to get as many Melbourne supporters signed up as members, but Melbourne needs more supporters too. I heard an interview with Cameron Schwab on SEN last night and he mentioned that very point. What he didn't mention was that Casey is the perfect opportunity to grow the membership base, especially if home and away games can be played down a Casey Fields.

Yeah I noticed that too, Casey didn't rate a mention. Nothing sinister here though, but surprised he didn't bring it up when asked what happened at the Summit.

Perhaps i should re-phrase what i said. From playing games at Casey, i'd say Melbourne would be able to make around 400,000 from the game alone. Gate receipts, signage etc, alot of the Casey locals would turn out. It also gives other people who live in Melbourne the opportunity to get down there. I think the Casey Council might give us a bonus as well as it would be a massive promotion to the area, you could only imagine the positive press to come out of it. We should play games at Casey instead of Canberra.

i dont know why, but it really exited me now.

i have always been an MCG person but one or two games at casey would be fantastic i recon

as others have said, it could be a whole day thing, with say a market in the morning for local retailers and have promotions all day, BBQ's, have a local game as the curtain raiser and then at 1:00, put on the main game.

even if we got say 15K there, it wouldnt feel empty and everyone would be going for melbourne. it would be exiting. like a little marquee game.

PS: The reason that I like the idea of an earlier game is because it would be less likely to be dark when people had to go home.

-However, for a real AFL game to be played at Casey, it is not just a matter of putting up grand stands. There needs to be adequate facilities, that allow for cameras, commentators etc etc. It would take a fair bit of $$$ but I think it could be an exiting prospect.

Perhaps i should re-phrase what i said. From playing games at Casey, i'd say Melbourne would be able to make around 400,000 from the game alone. Gate receipts, signage etc, alot of the Casey locals would turn out. It also gives other people who live in Melbourne the opportunity to get down there. I think the Casey Council might give us a bonus as well as it would be a massive promotion to the area, you could only imagine the positive press to come out of it. We should play games at Casey instead of Canberra.

The City of Casey are very keen to get Melbourne down to Casey Fields and you will find that they are already willing to do a lot to get the team down there.

I am delighted with the Casey initiative.

But there is absolutely no way that an AFL game will ever be played there.

Why would anyone pay $500k to put on a game in front of a few thousand people from the outer eastern suburbs of Melbourne ? How many non-members wil happily pay admission to stand at the footy knowing they will have to sit in the carpark for three hours after the game before crawling back up the highway?

Won't happen.

Another aspect besides the money playing a few games at Casey would be the coloseum effect of the Melbourne supporters. The ground would be full of one eyed dees supporters and the pressure on the umpires and the opposition would be enormous. Also the support would lift the team. I could imagine us being nearly invincible in time there against interstate teams.

Why would anyone pay $500k to put on a game in front of a few thousand people from the outer eastern suburbs of Melbourne ? How many non-members wil happily pay admission to stand at the footy knowing they will have to sit in the carpark for three hours after the game before crawling back up the highway?

Won't happen.

Geelong plays games @ Kardinia Park, Not a huge capacity ground, but a boutique stadium. The Cats make a small fortune every game they play down there.

& the locals & fellow members love it.

I'd love a Sunday game in April down @ Casey Fields V Freo or GC-17 or Port.

Another aspect besides the money playing a few games at Casey would be the coloseum effect of the Melbourne supporters. The ground would be full of one eyed dees supporters and the pressure on the umpires and the opposition would be enormous. Also the support would lift the team. I could imagine us being nearly invincible in time there against interstate teams.

exactly...the atmosphere would be fantastic. it would be like a local footy match where everybody goes to down to watch the local team and have a sausage and everybody is going for the one team.

Won't happen.

You should read the posts carefully.

Aside from one, the rest of us realise that no-one is going to pay for us to play there.

But if we could manage to get 15-20k people to fit and pay, we would make hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Train lines will go straight to the ground in a matter of years and traffic is an issue coming back from all grounds. I've been stuck at SC station for 2 hours after a footy game once. Ian Collins couldn't care less. Traffic does not concern me.

Co-incidentally this article appeared in yesterday's HUN showing that Casey is our largest municipality and growing towards Canberra like dimensions - City of Casey will be as big as Canberra in 10 years.

If the AFL had the foresight then it would work towards applying the funding to allow a boutique stadium at Casey Fields that would take the strain off Victorian clubs when they play poor drawing interstate clubs like Freo, PA, GC17 and West Sydney (if it ever gets off the ground).

If the AFL had the foresight then it would work towards applying the funding to allow a boutique stadium at Casey Fields that would take the strain off Victorian clubs when they play poor drawing interstate clubs like Freo, PA, GC17 and West Sydney (if it ever gets off the ground).

The AFL already are very keen to put a "boutique" stadium at Casey Fields.

The AFL already are very keen to put a "boutique" stadium at Casey Fields.

I don't think it is on their radar.

Any mention of it seems to be a desperate attempt to get some leverage over the MCC and Collins for better stadium deals.

They believe the cost would be prohibitive. I really want someone with some industry knowledge to post on this site and inform us how much it would cost to seat 20k, or 15k, or have 10k sit and the rest stand.

Guest melbman
If this does indeed take off however, I want it to be our ground. I don't want other Victorian clubs playing home games there.

Exactly my thoughts too, unless of course we had some ownership in it and profited from it