Martin - was rarely noticed

Miller - good first half

Morton - some classy touches

Newton - freakish but flawed

Sylvia - worked into game

Warnock - a poor game

Whelan - tough and uncompromising

Valenti - enjoyed his game

Newton did one good thing! Even that was flukey and undisciplined. Otherwise he was - SOFT, INEPT, UNCOMMITTED, CLUMSY, USELESS, DUMB. I'm sure he may be a nice person and doesn't deserve to be insulted and I hope he doesn't read this because I don't want to hurt his feelings, but I don't think he has what it takes. He is infuriating and frustrating to watch!! Please let him go Bailey!

I watched Bell carefully today and saw a bloke who just didn't know where to run to. He is not soft. He is committed, strong and quick, but just continues to make dumb choices.

This was true for a number of players today. Buckley is a good example. I think they have told to take them on at all costs, hence that embarrassing stuff up in front of goal.

Jones also made a lot of dumb choices, but does continue to put his body in to the tough contests time and time again.

On the other hand I saw a lot to like about Morton. Yes, he is skinny and his tackles don't stick, but seemed to have great vision, good hands and good disposal.

Martin continues to impress me. I think he will improve his disposal under pressure.

Davey played a great game IMO. He played around the centre stoppages and then drifted back as a sweeper. It appeared to me that it was a very disciplined game but also he was the only player who got the ball forward of the centre with any creativity.

Newton did one good thing! Even that was flukey and undisciplined. Otherwise he was - SOFT, INEPT, UNCOMMITTED, CLUMSY, USELESS, DUMB. I'm sure he may be a nice person and doesn't deserve to be insulted and I hope he doesn't read this because I don't want to hurt his feelings, but I don't think he has what it takes. He is infuriating and frustrating to watch!! Please let him go Bailey!

Martin continues to impress me. I think he will improve his disposal under pressure.

Agree about Newton. The 'freakish' nature of his goal was offset by the fact that he had two players within 20m who were in an infinitely better position. Very generous there Joeboy.

As for Martin, the stats I'm looking at say he had 8 touches (including 5 marks, 1 contested) at 100% efficiency. Given how much has been made of how raw, and new to the game he is, I think he uses the ball well. A couple of helicopters now and then but for the most part his disposal is perfectly adequate, even very good. And geez is he a lump. A massive unit with decent athleticism and fast-developing skills equates to a tremendous prospect. Give him a couple of years and he could be a gem at CHB.

i actually thought newton was trying to put the ball in the goal square for someone to run onto. he had nothing if he turned back the other way and had two players pressuring him.

other than that he shold have had 2 free kicks in front of goal, both for holding the man, when he was in the better position in the marking contest. he dropped 2 marks he should have taken, because he got his hands to them, but other than that every time he led the ball was kicked over his head, or he was ignored. i counted more than 5 times when he had a good lead into space and the player with the ball thought about kicking to him, but then held the ball up and kicked it to miller or sylvia who were in infinitly worse positions. he also chased, bumped and tackled players today. he is not quick. he will never run players down. but he put pressure on today, and tried to take players out of the contest after they handballed it by blocking them from running on.

im not sure what people expect of this young 14th gamer, but he kicked 2 goals, and could easily have finished with more if delivery to him was better.

Deanox, one goal was kicked because Mcdonald cleverly drew a late hit and the ball ended up in Newton's lap, and the other was a selfish shot at goal when he had free players further out. 8 touches and 3 frees against isn't a great game for someone who doesn't seem to be learning the defensive parts of the game

im not sure what people expect of this young 14th gamer, but he kicked 2 goals, and could easily have finished with more if delivery to him was better.

I expect him not to play like someone who thinks he is better than he is. I hate watching Buddy Franklin because he's an arrogant arse, but at least he has a reason to be.

When you've played 14 matches and achieved a grand total of nothing, you should be working hard to prove you're worthy of a spot in the team. Newton dropping sitters, pointing to other players to pick up his man and making lame tackling attempts is not the sort of display of intensity you expect from someone trying to make their way in AFL.

Newton might be a really lovely, down to earth guy, but his football persona and attitude is completely disproportionate to his achievements thus far. If he can't get a grip on reality, he will waste all of his talent away (of which he has plenty).

I have been defending Sylvia for years but yesterday he was absoloutly terrible.

At the ground it looked as though he was unfit and had no speed about him. Weather it was his groins or something much more serious like some mild case of chronic fatigue im not sure, he just looks so slow and non-agile.

Bartram - gave his all

Bate - declining form continues

Bell - beaten by opponent

Bruce - struggled with tag

Buckley - a ball magnet

Davey - not involved enough

Dunn - was well beaten

Garland - did his job

Jamar - back to usual

C.Johnson - in tremendous form

P.Johnson - another good game

Jones - better than lately

McDonald - not his best

Maric - good in possesion

Martin - good battle with opponent

Miller - kicking more goals

Morton - looks to scared

Newton - a good goal

Sylvia - tried but failed

Warnock - some good marks

Whelan - I love wheels

Valenti - his best game

Agree about Newton. The 'freakish' nature of his goal was offset by the fact that he had two players within 20m who were in an infinitely better position. Very generous there Joeboy.

Jeez ... I'm as disappointed in Newton as anyone, but if you think he had any other option when he kicked that goal you are indeed being very tough. I was sitting right near where he kicked it from, and he was hemmed in close to the boundary by two Kangaroos players cutting off any other option.

Jeez ... I'm as disappointed in Newton as anyone, but if you think he had any other option when he kicked that goal you are indeed being very tough. I was sitting right near where he kicked it from, and he was hemmed in close to the boundary by two Kangaroos players cutting off any other option.

Rubbish. He had two players free at the at the edge of the 50m arc, no more than 20m away. I will happily defer to a replay if one is forthcoming, but as I saw it he actually looked at them before deciding to go for it himself. It was a fine goal and I'll concede that he is definitely not the only player in the league, or even the team, who would attempt it, but it just goes to show that he acts and plays like a millionaire in football terms, when in fact he is a pauper.

I think Jaded has summed up the problems I, and probably most supporters, have with Newton perfectly.

Guest unstable punt
Bartram - tried but failed

Bate - disappeared when needed

Bell - comprehensively poor game

Bruce - year's worst game

Buckley - thrilling first half

Davey - missing too often

Dunn - was rarely sighted

Garland - very quiet game

Jamar - little to enthuse

C.Johnson - continued his renaissance

P.Johnson -easily our best

Jones - a better game

McDonald - rusty but valuable

Maric - commendable first effort

Martin - was rarely noticed

Miller - good first half

Morton - some classy touches

Newton - freakish but flawed

Sylvia - worked into game

Warnock - a poor game

Whelan - tough and uncompromising

Valenti - enjoyed his game

haven't got time at the minute to go through but you are wrong in about 6-8 instances particularly Jones ,Davey and Martin

I have been defending Sylvia for years but yesterday he was absoloutly terrible.

At the ground it looked as though he was unfit and had no speed about him. Weather it was his groins or something much more serious like some mild case of chronic fatigue im not sure, he just looks so slow and non-agile.

I agree Grimesy. He looks unfit and maybe a bit frustrated. He seems to be playing for himself, not the team. He improved a bit as the game went on. He's almost run out of chances hasn't he? Will he be in our top 22 in 2009?

I would like to say i was generally very happy with our backline.

I thought Martin was at every contest, and we generally held them up pretty well (except for the first quarter of course, but when you have about 6 inside 50s yourself, it's going to be near impossible to stop the other team scoring)

Having Newton in, with Aussie out and a kid like Maric coming in for his debut, the forwardline pressure wasn't quite there (not that i'm saying Maric didn't chase hard, just that the Roos probably didn't need to show him much respect because he didn't have much help)

Jones was good, but still has to pick his times when he's going to barge through.

Sylvia is driving me bonkers, easily the most frustrating player on our list

Tell us what you really think btdemon!

With regards to that goal, he actually tried to centre it, it was not intended to be a 'fluke goal'. So that would come under a Disciplined Act one would of thought.

Rubbish. He had two players free at the at the edge of the 50m arc, no more than 20m away. I will happily defer to a replay if one is forthcoming

Then you'd better look at the replay (3rd quarter, 9:00 to go onwards).

The opportunity came from a spilled Sylvia mark (opposed to Firrito). When Newton gathered the ball he did look quickly back (left) behind him where Moreton (almost on the 50m line) was about five metres away from an opponent. But that option was cut off by McMahon with his arm out a couple of metres behind him, so I don't think in a split second and on his wrong foot that that was a viable option. He then looked inboard to his right (onto his left foot) and Watt was close by cutting the option back to the top of the square. Sylvia was also inboard but covered by Firrito. By that time Newton was very close to the boundary, in fact he finished well over the boundary after he took the kick.

I'm not impressed by Newton. I think his defensive skills are poor and his ground-level game is generally weak, but I am not going to support the claim that the near impossible option is a good illustration of his poor decision-making.

Then you'd better look at the replay (3rd quarter, 9:00 to go onwards).

The opportunity came from a spilled Sylvia mark (opposed to Firrito). When Newton gathered the ball he did look quickly back (left) behind him where Moreton (almost on the 50m line) was about five metres away from an opponent. But that option was cut off by McMahon with his arm out a couple of metres behind him, so I don't think in a split second and on his wrong foot that that was a viable option. He then looked inboard to his right (onto his left foot) and Watt was close by cutting the option back to the top of the square. Sylvia was also inboard but covered by Firrito. By that time Newton was very close to the boundary, in fact he finished well over the boundary after he took the kick.

I'm not impressed by Newton. I think his defensive skills are poor and his ground-level game is generally weak, but I am not going to support the claim that the near impossible option is a good illustration of his poor decision-making.

Alright, seeing the replay I concede. I maintain that he acts and plays like a millionaire, however. I'm not sure its poor decision-making; I think its just lairising.

Davey - missing too often

Hmmmmm. I watched Aaron closely yesterday (he's in my dream team and I needed a good performance!). Appreciate him for what he is, a complimentary player and a fine one at that. His work in close yesterday, especially when the ball was on the deck, was a class above. His ability to get the ball at his feet and freely move into space to then offload to a team mate (without turning it over unlike many others out there) was exciting to watch. Unfortunately when the whole team is playing like crap that sort off work goes both unnoticed and wasted.

I'll have a crack

Bartram - Gave his all

Bate - Not his best

Bell - Beaten in battle.

Bruce - Wasnt seen enough

Buckley - Ran the lines

Davey - Good in parts

Dunn - Was well beaten

Garland - Did a job

Jamar - Good in ruck

C.Johnson - Career best form

P.Johnson - Good mobile effort

Jones - The engine room

McDonald - Found the footy

Maric - Commendable first effort

Martin - Tried but lost

Miller - Kicked a few

Morton - Skilled, skinny, scared.

Newton - One show pony.

Sylvia - Tried but no.

Warnock - A solid performance.

Whelan - Enjoyed the battle.

Valenti - Worked real hard

Hmmmmm. I watched Aaron closely yesterday (he's in my dream team and I needed a good performance!). Appreciate him for what he is, a complimentary player and a fine one at that. His work in close yesterday, especially when the ball was on the deck, was a class above. His ability to get the ball at his feet and freely move into space to then offload to a team mate (without turning it over unlike many others out there) was exciting to watch. Unfortunately when the whole team is playing like crap that sort off work goes both unnoticed and wasted.

Halelujah brother! I watched Davey closely too (because he is our most skillful player), and I agree with you 100%

Guest unstable punt

As for Martin, the stats I'm looking at say he had 8 touches (including 5 marks, 1 contested) at 100% efficiency. Given how much has been made of how raw, and new to the game he is, I think he uses the ball well. A couple of helicopters now and then but for the most part his disposal is perfectly adequate, even very good. And geez is he a lump. A massive unit with decent athleticism and fast-developing skills equates to a tremendous prospect. Give him a couple of years and he could be a gem at CHB.

you obviously don't know the game buddy re: Newton, he had no chance of giving it to anybody

Im sick of seeing him out on the [censored] lapping up the lifestyle. I never go up to him and say anything because its not really my place. But if he played as hard as he partied we'd have a player on our hands.

He is the biggest prima donna to have worn the jumper in a very long time.

Too many judge Newton too harshly for a 14 game player who's been injured for much of the season.

Also, many seem to imply that he doesn't try. He constantly tries to make position, and always tries to pick up an opponent and chase when they run the ball out of defence - he often seems to chase in a one on 2 situation and this obviously exposes his lack of pace.

I'm not convinced that he will make it but it is far too early to judge.

you obviously don't know the game buddy re: Newton, he had no chance of giving it to anybody

Wake up you dill. I've already conceded, 3 posts above you, that having seen the footage again (I was only going by what I saw at the game), he didn't have much choice. Jeez some people on this site do my head in. Go back to bigfooty.

Im sick of seeing him out on the [censored] lapping up the lifestyle. I never go up to him and say anything because its not really my place. But if he played as hard as he partied we'd have a player on our hands.

He is the biggest prima donna to have worn the jumper in a very long time.

Next time you see him, go up to him and let him know - even if it's not your place!