Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

England bowled out for 167 by the Black Caps in only 55 overs. Why don't you go and tweet about that Vaughan!

The ashes will be very interesting I think!

Nice to see that it's not just us who are struggling pre-Ashes.

Have you guys heard about Alec Stewart's tweet?

Tool.

From 'The Times of London' ... Shoddy England given lesson by New Zealand

It really was as bad as it gets: hopeless batting, ineffective bowling and shoddy catching.
Four more wickets fell before lunch, only one of which, that of Kevin Pietersen, could not be put down to batsman error.

England’s subservience was best illustrated by the field that greeted Broad’s first over (the eleventh of the innings) as Anderson’s replacement, which included a deep cover, but no third slip - which was exactly where an edge flew off Rutherford’s bat.
There was no swing for Anderson, precious little bounce for Finn, no seam movement for Broad, and

no spin for Monty Panesar

Rutherford, eager not to let Panesar settle, planted the spinner’s fifth delivery straight into the stands
Beautiful !

Congratulations to Hamish Rutherford for a fine century on debut and to Peter Fulton for his first 50 since 2006 who has since been dismissed by Anderson for 55.

New Zealand now 1/166 only 1 run behind on the first innings.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Tall Defence

Stumps on day 3 as bad light stops play.

England 167

J. Trott 45

I. Bell 24

J. Anderson 23

N. Wagner 4/42

B. Martin 4/43

T. Boult 1/32

New Zealand 7/402

H. Rutherford 171

P. Fulton 55

B. McCullum 44*

J. Anderson 4/108

S. Broad 2/89

M. Panesar 1/83

Great effort by Hamish Rutherford and New Zealands pushed their lead over 200. Lost a few quick wickets in that last session going for quick runs and I wouldn't be suprised if they declare early tomorrow once they've pushed their lead past 250 given day 1 was lost to rain, most of the last session today was lost to to bad light and there always is a bit of rain around Dunedin if you've ever been there before. The test will be if they can get another 10 wickets with only 4 bowlers and the part time spin of Williamson?

And in Shield news Fawad Ahmed took 2/35 from 16 overs against NSW. Give that man his citizenship!

Edit: Updated since tea.

Edited by Tall Defence

New Zealand have declared this morning after about 45 minutes of throwing the bat.

England 167

J. Trott 45

I. Bell 24

J. Anderson 23

N. Wagner 4/42

B. Martin 4/43

T. Boult 1/32

New Zealand 9/460dec

H. Rutherford 171

B. McCullum 74

P. Fulton 55

J. Anderson 4/137

S. Broad 3/118

M. Panesar 1/83

On top of Hamish Rutherford's impressive debut innings on 171, special mention should be made of the other New Zealand debutant left arm spinner Bruce Martin. Took 4/43 when bowling in the first innings and made a valuable 41 with the bat batting down at number 9 in a vital partnership with McCullum.

With a first innings lead of 293, fingers crossed New Zealand can bowl England out today and wrap the match up with a day to spare.

It looks like Brad Haddin is going to get a call up to India for the third test as a result of Wade's injury. I would also be flying in Joe Burns and Alex Doolan for some blooding before the Ashes series.

This might smack of desperation but it's about time there was some decent succession planning at our national level. Put Clark up the order, Watson down to # 6 and bring in the young blood.

Throw them in the deep end, I say.

It looks like Brad Haddin is going to get a call up to India for the third test as a result of Wade's injury. I would also be flying in Joe Burns and Alex Doolan for some blooding before the Ashes series.

This might smack of desperation but it's about time there was some decent succession planning at our national level. Put Clark up the order, Watson down to # 6 and bring in the young blood.

I agree but unfortunately flying in a couple of batsmen won't happen. Our top order look deficient against spin and it's hard to see anything changing in the next 2 Tests. India could play Ojha instead of their young opening bowler (Kumar) and it would make things even harder for us. Ravi Shastri described our top order as 'Sitting Ducks'.

The obvious concern is our preparation for the Ashes. It will be a miracle if our top order is settled before the 1st Ashes Test. The conditions are vastly different but it would be nice to know that our top 4 had some solid runs behind them. Khawaja coming in and Clarke moving to number 4 (?) could alleviate a few of our issues. (although in an ideal world, I'd much rather Clarke bat at no.5, apart from when we're on spinning decks)

Our top 7 in the next Test in India could read as follows

Cowan

Warner

Khawaja

Clarke

Watson

Henriques

Wade/Haddin (depending on Wade's possible injury)

(who knows what they'll do with the bowling)

In England either Watson or Henriques should miss out and the one who stays could bat at no.6. (Watson has to bowl to stay in the side) Complicating all this, is that Watson is probably best suited as an opening batsman. Another batsman could come in and bat at no.4 or no.5 (depending on where Clarke bats). That other batsman could be Doolan, Burns or perhaps another young up and comer.

Cowan and Warner aren't guarantees either but both those 2 are much better away from spinning decks. Khawaja has a nice technique but needs to learn how to convert his starts.

Edited by Macca

Big news on the eve of the 3rd Test .... on the surface of it, it does seem like a somewhat 'over the top' decision, but I guess that's the way of the modern sporting landscape ...

Australian cricketers Shane Watson, Usman Khawaja, James Pattinson and Mitchell Johnson axed from third Test in Mohali

In a landmark day for Australian cricket, coach Mickey Arthur revealed the quartet have been stood down for one match for not taking part in a written review following the side's heavy innings defeat in the second Test.

Arthur said today Watson, Pattinson, Khawaja and Johnson had failed to submit a personal analysis - prompting team hierarchy to immediately rule the group out for the Test in Mohali.

Wow, tough. I'm torn between demanding standards and "they're just simple cricketers, let them play cricket".

Gods, I can hear Ian Chappell moaning about it from here. That alone makes me feel compelled to side with the opposing view.

Wow, tough. I'm torn between demanding standards and "they're just simple cricketers, let them play cricket".

Gods, I can hear Ian Chappell moaning about it from here. That alone makes me feel compelled to side with the opposing view.

Yeah, Chappelli can be a bit of a 'Back in my day' sort of commentator and writer. I remember once hearing that Keith Miller went into the Australian rooms and said something like "Don't worry about what I've written about you in tomorrow's paper, it's all for show". I've paraphrased it a bit, but that was the jist of it. By the way, would have loved to have seen Miller play. He must have been some sort of player ...

Anyway, it's certainly a 'different' way of being dropped. And they used to say that it was harder to get out of the side than into it ! It could mean that Lyon, Maxwell, Smith and Doherty all play? 4 spinners! Hughes was going to be dropped but that may change.

Strange days indeed ...

Edited by Macca

I agree but unfortunately flying in a couple of batsmen won't happen. Our top order look deficient against spin and it's hard to see anything changing in the next 2 Tests. India could play Ojha instead of their young opening bowler (Kumar) and it would make things even harder for us. Ravi Shastri described our top order as 'Sitting Ducks'.

The obvious concern is our preparation for the Ashes. It will be a miracle if our top order is settled before the 1st Ashes Test. The conditions are vastly different but it would be nice to know that our top 4 had some solid runs behind them. Khawaja coming in and Clarke moving to number 4 (?) could alleviate a few of our issues. (although in an ideal world, I'd much rather Clarke bat at no.5, apart from when we're on spinning decks)

Our top 7 in the next Test in India could read as follows

Cowan

Warner

Khawaja

Clarke

Watson

Henriques

Wade/Haddin (depending on Wade's possible injury)

(who knows what they'll do with the bowling)

In England either Watson or Henriques should miss out and the one who stays could bat at no.6. (Watson has to bowl to stay in the side) Complicating all this, is that Watson is probably best suited as an opening batsman. Another batsman could come in and bat at no.4 or no.5 (depending on where Clarke bats). That other batsman could be Doolan, Burns or perhaps another young up and comer.

Cowan and Warner aren't guarantees either but both those 2 are much better away from spinning decks. Khawaja has a nice technique but needs to learn how to convert his starts.

Stop the presses.

Watson, Pattinson, Khawaja and Johnson dumped from third test for discipline reasons.

With that news, they might have no choice now but to fly in a couple of cricketers for the Third Test.

Stop the presses.

With that news, they might have no choice now but to fly in a couple of cricketers for the Third Test.

You're probably on the money again, WJ. Uncanny!

Who knows what they'll do now in all honesty. The selectors are impossible to read.

It seems like there's been something like this brewing for a while. Obviously there is a feeling that the culture in the team just isn't good enough and they needed to do something to show that.

I don't have a problem with it. It's like Ross Lyon dropping Dal Santo and Milne in his first season for not following defensive instructions. Arthur is telling them that playing for Australia is a step up in commitment from Shield. It's also not a bad time to do it, given that the series is pretty much lost already.

I agree that the team is in trouble if this action is required to correct the problem. Coaches don't pull out that card unless it's really needed.

• Like 1

To be honest, that Watson didn't do it doesn't surprise me. FIGJAM.

I have no problem with this action being taken. Make Watson realise he's not God's answer to Australian cricket's problems, for one. If the others also didn't do what they were meant to, then so be it.

You're probably on the money again, WJ. Uncanny!

Complete fluke ... but as the great Jack Dyer used to say, " where there's smoke, there's blue cod".

I recently asked the question whether the MFC recovery will come quicker than the Australian Test team's revival and I think we (the Dees) might have nudged ahead a little.

Cricket has the advantage of having a larger recruiting ground and a monopoly in this respect. However, the football club at least has the capacity to recruit experienced players from elsewhere (as we've done in the past 12 months) to provide some stability, experience and maturity while the younger blokes develop in their roles.

With four players suspended, the wicketkeeper (and half the country's pace bowlers) injured and others recently retired, we're badly in need of experience as well as talent. Back when World Series Cricket came along we had Bob Simpson to lead the team and add stability but who do we have now? Brad Hodge, Nathan Hauritz? I don't think so.

Complete fluke ... but as the great Jack Dyer used to say, " where there's smoke, there's blue cod".

I recently asked the question whether the MFC recovery will come quicker than the Australian Test team's revival and I think we (the Dees) might have nudged ahead a little.

Cricket has the advantage of having a larger recruiting ground and a monopoly in this respect. However, the football club at least has the capacity to recruit experienced players from elsewhere (as we've done in the past 12 months) to provide some stability, experience and maturity while the younger blokes develop in their roles.

With four players suspended, the wicketkeeper (and half the country's pace bowlers) injured and others recently retired, we're badly in need of experience as well as talent. Back when World Series Cricket came along we had Bob Simpson to lead the team and add stability but who do we have now? Brad Hodge, Nathan Hauritz? I don't think so.

There may have been other transgressions that we haven't heard about. Although Khawaja and Pattinson are fairly new to the system. I suppose protocol is protocol and if that's the way they do things now, fair enough. (especially if the players know what the consequences are)

As I started reading the story, I half expected to read about a boozy night out with some team rules broken or such like. Anyway, the team will be a bit of a hotchpotch one. If Hughes doesn't play then we will go into the game with 4 spinners. As it is, at least 3 spinners have to play (I think)

It might end up making the team more competitive (albeit by default) I guess Pattinson might have been rested anyway (for this Test). The other 3 players would have been favoured to play (Johnson the least likely)

Edited by Macca

Steve Smith is a spinner?When did he last take a wicket in the longer form?

Good point TGP ...

I should have put the word 'possible' in my post !

Although if we count Warner and Clarke, we could have 6 'possible' spinners in the team !

I pray that there's a lot more to this then has come out so far, because if they are just being made an example of then this is a frace!

I'm all for setting standards and fostering a good team culture and expectations, but to get dropped for not giving a presentation on time (Pattinson told Arthur he'd gie it on Monday) then that's the most stupid thing I've ever heard. They're over there representing the country to play cricket, this is a professional team, they're not there on a highschool trip.

On the flip side it mightn't work out that badly, Pattinson (who's taken more then a 3rd of our wickets in the series so far) very well may have been due for a rest anyway. Watson's been underperforming, Johnson in my opinion in 7th in our pace pecking order anyway (the injured Bird, Harris & Cummins all ahead of him) but it could be reallY bad news for Khawaja. He's been trying to secure a batting spot in this line up for so long, the chance was finally there but now this! How long till his next chance???

As a result of all of this I'm predicting this 3rd test will be all over before stumps on the 3rd day, but hoping for a bit of fight come the 4th test when Pattinson's back in the team. I reckon Watson will announce his international retirement and focus on the IPL, BBL and his family. Johnson will remain a fringe player for another few years and Khawaja, who knows???

Australian XI for the 3rd Test

E. Cowan

D. Warner

M. Clarke

M. Henriques

S. Smith

M. Wade or B. Haddin depending on Wade's fitness.

G. Maxwell

P. Siddle

M. Starc

X. Doherty

N. Lyon

P. Hughes 12th man.

There is an accompanying interview with Michael Clarke in the following story. It does appear that there is a fair bit more involved to this story than what we first heard.

Shane Watson is coming home as his wife is about to give birth. Fair enough.

Australian Test captain Michael Clarke says high standards of team have not been maintained as four players dropped

I'm all for setting standards and fostering a good team culture and expectations, but to get dropped for not giving a presentation on time (Pattinson told Arthur he'd gie it on Monday) then that's the most stupid thing I've ever heard. They're over there representing the country to play cricket, this is a professional team, they're not there on a highschool trip.

Exactly. If you missed a deadline in your job, you'd get punished. It's not on.

Remember, this is a 16-man party. The other 12 got it done. Why didn't these four? Above this kind of thing? Lazy? Dumb? Whatever the answer, it's not good enough, and they deserve to be punished. Dropping them for a Test might actually correct their poor attitudes.

I'm convinced that there are attitude issues in Australian cricket at the moment that are hampering our progress. This probably goes deeper, but even if it doesn't, it's fair and reasonable. Wearing the Baggy Green is a privilege, not a right. These players have forgotten that.

Guest the Sorcerer

There is an accompanying interview with Michael Clarke in the following story. It does appear that there is a fair bit more involved to this story than what we first heard.

Shane Watson is coming home as his wife is about to give birth. Fair enough.

Australian Test captain Michael Clarke says high standards of team have not been maintained as four players dropped

looking for trouble, start here >

Expecting a fair bit of fall out over all this.

Quite a few ex players have weighed in

Expecting a fair bit of fall out over all this.

Quite a few ex players have weighed in

No doubt to tell us all that cricketers should just play and not have to worry about all that professionalism stuff. I wouldn't expect anything less.

Am I the only one who couldn't GAF what the players think on issues like this one?

• Like 3