Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

Is Smith in the side now for his batting or his bowling?? I am not sure the selectors are quite sure. Me i would say his bowling, that's why he comes in after Haddin IMO. There are loads of better number 6 batsmen than Smith is at present.

No they do know more than you on this. They have chosen him as a batsman at 6 while giving him some development for the future. I am not sure he is justifying his batting position. He's sure as hell does not justify his selection as a bowler. And selecting him as a bowler does not mean he should bat 8. :wacko:

If Clarke was in form then i would agree with you concerning the Captaincy but he isn't, and with a bunch of first gamers and Newbies i wouldn't have him there, But like Punter he has one innings to prove his worth as a captain, i will give him that until the curtain is drawn.

Your last sentence is absolute crap WYL. Unless they both make double hundreds plus that save the Test, Ponting is finished at Sydney if not before. Clarkes innings will say more about his current form as a batsman. He be judged as a captain when he is captain. And given that fact that we have newbies there for Sydney then it makes not sense having White there as a first time captain and who has not justified himself as a Test player. Think about..go on. ;)

Who would you want in the Trenches White or Clarke?? I have admired Clarkes Batting at times, and he was once a bowler but his back injury has finished that one i would say.

I want a captain who justifies himself as a Test player first and can lead people second at that level. Cut the trenches crap. Clarke is a class player and you only have to go back to the Ashes 09 where he was superb. He is in a form slump. And Clarke was never once a bowler. He got 6/9 when the planets aligned in his first test. He has taken 15 wickets since. He was finished as a bowler well before the injury.

He has never come across as a leader to me. Cameron White was an inspired project thanks to Hooksey. He deserves a shot.

But of course Clarke is NSW and White is a victorian, so your scenario is what i suspect the selectors to do, it's not what i would do.

Ugh ugh.

One of the reasons i am disagreeing withe selectors. For mine Smith is more a bowler-but its early days. I just hope they don't kill his spirit too early.

He has taken a couple of catches, so that would help the confidence.

Cut it out!! By batting him at 6 instead of 8 the selectors could kill his spirit!!!! And you want to play him as a front line bowler. :wacko::wacko::wacko:

You're more in agreement with the selectors than you think. :rolleyes: At least the selectors actually stand for something and understand the circumstances they are in.

No they do know more than you on this. They have chosen him as a batsman at 6 while giving him some development for the future. I am not sure he is justifying his batting position. He's sure as hell does not justify his selection as a bowler. And selecting him as a bowler does not mean he should bat 8. :wacko:

Your last sentence is absolute crap WYL. Unless they both make double hundreds plus that save the Test, Ponting is finished at Sydney if not before. Clarkes innings will say more about his current form as a batsman. He be judged as a captain when he is captain. And given that fact that we have newbies there for Sydney then it makes not sense having White there as a first time captain and who has not justified himself as a Test player. Think about..go on. ;)

I want a captain who justifies himself as a Test player first and can lead people second at that level. Cut the trenches crap. Clarke is a class player and you only have to go back to the Ashes 09 where he was superb. He is in a form slump. And Clarke was never once a bowler. He got 6/9 when the planets aligned in his first test. He has taken 15 wickets since. He was finished as a bowler well before the injury.

He has never come across as a leader to me. Cameron White was an inspired project thanks to Hooksey. He deserves a shot.

Ugh ugh.

Cut it out!! By batting him at 6 instead of 8 the selectors could kill his spirit!!!! And you want to play him as a front line bowler. :wacko::wacko::wacko:

You're more in agreement with the selectors than you think. :rolleyes: At least the selectors actually stand for something and understand the circumstances they are in.

Out of all that reply, i will say one thing. Ponting is finished as a captain, maybe i did not word that quite correctly-Even with a double ton in this innings i think he is gone. He should have been suspended for at least one game after yesterdays meltdown. Losing 40% of a match payment is small change to these guys, and sets a very poor example to junior cricket around the globe.

Punter is in now, so let's see if he still has a final punch.

Clarke has been the anointed captain for close on 5 years-a decision i have never quite understood, he as been a solid batsman at times, but i don't put him in the "class" category.

Very good but who is going to see the pitch on day 5 except the curator and 3,000 seagulls?
Interesting call. Time will tell. beautiful day here at the G. Agree totally with Rogue - no excuses for run outs when 2.5 days to go and 360 odd behind. The openers were doing well too.

Interesting call. Time will tell. beautiful day here at the G. Agree totally with Rogue - no excuses for run outs when 2.5 days to go and 360 odd behind. The openers were doing well too.

Watson really needs a big score now-That run out was his call.....Hughes was doing a good job up until then.

Pathetic run out. Watson really struggles to pick a good single. That's the third time he's run out his partner, all of them have been for the first wicket as well. He needs to turn this 50 into a minimum of 100, preferably 200.

Well he has just $%&ucked that up hasn't he...not offering a shot. Cripes NONE of these guys understand digging in, Test Cricket style. He had done good work, but sadly he really stuffed that one.

This is why Watson should bat down the order. He has done a really good job, but he doesn't convert enough solid starts. A few here will disagree, but i stand by my word.

Shane Watson has been a Good Opening Batsmen- He got the selectors out of a jam. But we need better if we are to Win Test Matches regularly.

Ponting & Clarke together....should i go & make a cuppa???

Edited by why you little

Bloody Watson! That's his 15th 50, to go with his 2 100s. He never fails to go out, even when he looks rock solid. We needed someone to stand tall and make a big score, hopefully Ponting is the one to do that. Maybe Hussey will come out there with some runs on the board this time.

Watson's amazing ability to inexplicably get out when he's in good form is frustrating and his running between wickets is a worry. Really though, he's the least of our worries at the moment. He, Hussey, Haddin and perhaps Siddle are the only players whose spots in this side are safe at the moment.

Bloody Watson! That's his 15th 50, to go with his 2 100s. He never fails to go out, even when he looks rock solid. We needed someone to stand tall and make a big score, hopefully Ponting is the one to do that. Maybe Hussey will come out there with some runs on the board this time.

Really...wow i didn't know it was that many. Just makes me feel stronger that Shane is better served down the order. We need to find 2 Openers in the next 1-2 years. I hope Hughes gets his act together, but he is just in the Pot.

See ya Ponting.....That's it for you sunshine...

Hussey out for a Quack...C'mon England, just bowl us all out tonight-I can't watch this baggy green at the MCG anymore.

This Australian Side needs the Complete Melbourne Football club Rebuild....starting Tonight/Tomorrow please.

See you later Ashes..enjoy the view at lords from that little Box..You will be home again soon i hope....

Out of all that reply, i will say one thing. Ponting is finished as a captain, maybe i did not word that quite correctly-Even with a double ton in this innings i think he is gone.

Big statement there fella!! :wacko:

In essence you are agreeing with what i said earlier. Ponting hitting a 200+ is highly unlikely (Happily eat my words on that.

He should have been suspended for at least one game after yesterdays meltdown. Losing 40% of a match payment is small change to these guys, and sets a very poor example to junior cricket around the globe.

Punter is in now, so let's see if he still has a final punch.

Crap. It was a fineable issue. I am sure the kiddies did not lose too much sleep from the tewwible Wicky Ponting.

FFS, this is coming from the same person that thought Shane Warne was a good knock around bloke and suitable to be Test Captain. :rolleyes:

Clarke has been the anointed captain for close on 5 years-a decision i have never quite understood, he as been a solid batsman at times, but i don't put him in the "class" category.

I am quite sure you wouldnt understand at all. ;)

Watson's amazing ability to inexplicably get out when he's in good form is frustrating and his running between wickets is a worry. Really though, he's the least of our worries at the moment. He, Hussey, Haddin and perhaps Siddle are the only players whose spots in this side are safe at the moment.

Agree.

Really...wow i didn't know it was that many. Just makes me feel stronger that Shane is better served down the order. We need to find 2 Openers in the next 1-2 years.

How about we find get the openers and then move Watson down the order?

See ya Ponting.....That's it for you sunshine...

Got enough pins there?

How about we find get the openers and then move Watson down the order?

Got enough pins there?

Yes let's find the openers i agree, Should have started ages ago, and in saying that i am not having a go at Watson. Watson is an excellent Band Aid,

Ponting Argueing with umpires for over 8 minutes is far more than Fineable in my eyes-He got off very lightly, disappointed you do not agree on that one.

His Captaincy is over, what's the big deal? If he wishes to bat at 5-6 from now on for 1-2 years he is most welcome.

Yes let's find the openers i agree, Should have started ages ago, and in saying that i am not having a go at Watson. Watson is an excellent Band Aid,

It did when Langer retired then Hayden.

Ponting Argueing with umpires for over 8 minutes is far more than Fineable in my eyes-He got off very lightly, disappointed you do not agree on that one.

Good idea lets suspend him in his final test match. Worthy penalty and it will help deal with the trauma caused to the kiddies in junior cricket.

His Captaincy is over, what's the big deal? If he wishes to bat at 5-6 from now on for 1-2 years he is most welcome.

His career is over past Sydney. I think there will be alot of discussions going on behind the scenes between now and Sydney. It should be his swansong and he should go out with the career accolades that should merit him. Best No 3 since Bradman. And a successful captain through a difficult period.

It did when Langer retired then Hayden.

Good idea lets suspend him in his final test match. Worthy penalty and it will help deal with the trauma caused to the kiddies in junior cricket.

His career is over past Sydney. I think there will be alot of discussions going on behind the scenes between now and Sydney. It should be his swansong and he should go out with the career accolades that should merit him. Best No 3 since Bradman. And a successful captain through a difficult period.

I think he'll continue in the one day form of the game but his Test Cricket career has to be close to over.

Hussey out for a Quack...C'mon England, just bowl us all out tonight-I can't watch this baggy green at the MCG anymore.

This Australian Side needs the Complete Melbourne Football club Rebuild....starting Tonight/Tomorrow please.

See you later Ashes..enjoy the view at lords from that little Box..You will be home again soon i hope....

I wonder WYL, if that hasn't already started with the changing of the guard @ selection level, with chappell back. We've seen Hughes back & Hauritz dropped & Harris & Siddle & Hilf in.

Part of me feels like they,ve (selectors) had a bob each way,,, in this ashes campaign.. I mean they wouldn't want to bring in raw kids into a struggling side, but were forced to replace Katich & the bowling dept is already in redevelopment mode. I wonder if these, already partly tried players were given a further chance in a weakening side, during the ashes battle,,, before we bring in Kids. To me its got that feel about it.

Edited by dee-luded

My hope now is that the selectors choose a core bunch of guys who they feel are in our best 15 or so players, and stick with them for the next 1-1.5 years.

Nice concept. However, we are probably 1 to 1.5 years from collecting the best 15. I can find 8 to 10 that could be given any assurance. There is such a wonderful opportunity for young players to put their hand up with wickets or runs to get a Test cap. Its been that way for 12 months but few have done that.

Was one of the 68,000 + strong crowd for Day 3. It's not often you get an attendance like that (tad more than day 2) to a game that appears in control by the away side. Must say there was plenty of red & white around the G. Beautiful day weather wise. Can't say the same for the cricket...someone should tell Watson the 20/20 games are still to come. Try for a run like that then. Not in a Test Match.

As stirring as the Perth win was, it was obviously wallpaper over the cracks. If we kept relying on Watson and Hussey, eventually we would be exposed - and we were.

I supported their selection to begin with, but the inclusion of two youngsters in Hughes and Smith into our top six was a mistake, and made our batting lineup far weaker than it had been in Brisbane.

With a faltering top order, we needed cool heads and players in form with the bat. With a Shield average of just 16.8, Hughes really shouldn't have been played (especially not against a side which knew how to target his weaknesses). As for Smith, at this stage he's just not strong enough with the bat or ball, as Titan had warned.

In hindsight, I think two of D.Hussey, White, Marsh or Khawaja should have come in and Haurtiz should have kept his place at the expense of Hilfenhaus.