Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

Interesting comment...but we didn't score more.

I'm thinking we just play 6 SCG tests a summer. What a final day. Surely there's a replacement for Kamran somewhere in Pakistan

Interesting comment...but we didn't score more.

I'm thinking we just play 6 SCG tests a summer. What a final day. Surely there's a replacement for Kamran somewhere in Pakistan

Yes Poor Kamran-4 chances he put down! Could be lynched hen he returns home. May have to live off shore from now on....

Still reeling how Pakistan stole defeat from the jaws of victory.

Australia is in special company being the sixth side to win from being over 200 runs behind on the first innings.

Australia completed one of the most remarkable comebacks in cricket's history when they beat Pakistan by 36 runs at the Sydney Cricket Ground. This was only the sixth time that a team overcame a first-innings deficit of more than 200 to win a Test. Australia have been involved in each of those six matches - thrice at the receiving end and thrice victorious.

Victories after conceding first-innings leads in excess of 200 Team Opposition First-innings deficit Ground Margin of victory Start date

Australia Sri Lanka 291 Colombo (SSC) 16 runs 17 Aug 1992 ---> Emergence of the great SK Warne

India Australia 274 Kolkata 171 runs 11 Mar 2001 --> When S Waugh sent India in again and Laxman and Dravid did the unbelievable.

England Australia 261 Sydney 10 runs 14 Dec 1894

Australia South Africa 236 Durban 5 wickets 20 Jan 1950

England Australia 227 Leeds 18 runs 16 Jul 1981 --> When Beefy Botham belted Australia

Australia Pakistan 206 Sydney 36 runs 3 Jan 2010

Still reeling how Pakistan stole defeat from the jaws of victory.

Australia is in special company being the sixth side to win from being over 200 runs behind on the first innings.

Australia completed one of the most remarkable comebacks in cricket's history when they beat Pakistan by 36 runs at the Sydney Cricket Ground. This was only the sixth time that a team overcame a first-innings deficit of more than 200 to win a Test. Australia have been involved in each of those six matches - thrice at the receiving end and thrice victorious.

Victories after conceding first-innings leads in excess of 200 Team Opposition First-innings deficit Ground Margin of victory Start date

Australia Sri Lanka 291 Colombo (SSC) 16 runs 17 Aug 1992 ---> Emergence of the great SK Warne

India Australia 274 Kolkata 171 runs 11 Mar 2001 --> When S Waugh sent India in again and Laxman and Dravid did the unbelievable.

England Australia 261 Sydney 10 runs 14 Dec 1894

Australia South Africa 236 Durban 5 wickets 20 Jan 1950

England Australia 227 Leeds 18 runs 16 Jul 1981 --> When Beefy Botham belted Australia

Australia Pakistan 206 Sydney 36 runs 3 Jan 2010

That is amazing that australia has been involved in all 6 games. Just Wild. Thanks for all that work RR-Great

Yes i would love to know the odds given for an australian win yesterday as Siddle walked to the crease.

TAB Sportsbet had the Paki's at $1.09 before play and at one stage at 0/30 they were down to $1.08, although those that were keen on the Paki's to win could have got $1.14 elsewhere if they shopped at Luxbet or Betfair. Aussies were $10 to win on Betfair; $7.50 TAB Sportsbet.

If betting was wild here in Australia, one can only imagine what it was like on the sub-continent...? <_<

TAB Sportsbet had the Paki's at $1.09 before play and at one stage at 0/30 they were down to $1.08, although those that were keen on the Paki's to win could have got $1.14 elsewhere if they shopped at Luxbet or Betfair. Aussies were $10 to win on Betfair; $7.50 TAB Sportsbet.

If betting was wild here in Australia, one can only imagine what it was like on the sub-continent...? <_<

The Age reported a punter dropped a sum on Pakistan at a $1.06.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/pun...00106-luah.html

The Age reported a punter dropped a sum on Pakistan at a $1.06.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/pun...00106-luah.html

Sheer lunacy. $26K on them ! That was Centrebet.

All punters should have followed McGrath's tip before the commencement of the Test. He tipped a winning margin of 37 runs for the Aussies. They won by 36 runs.

Amazing Test. It seems that Sydney brings the best out of both teams and makes for an exciting finish. Maybe a tied Test next year?

Nonetheless, we still have problems that need addressing. North is at the top of the list, but Ponting and Clarke are in form ruts and Siddle has 6 wickets in 4 Tests (but we can excuse him thanks to his batting).

As for Pakistan, well, one of their bowlers is going to be hard done by when Aamer comes back. I think it will be Sami, who only got 3, 2 of which were bat shots (Hughes and Ponting). But he still bowled well. And Kamran has brought back all the negativity surrounding his keeping. Since he's not giving anything with the bat, he mightn't be around when we play the return series in June (in England).

I can only see one possible change to the line up for Hobart at this stage. North out, Katich in.

The Aussies have won the series and based on the fact, there will not be too many changes. The win I think does cover up some of the cracks. despite a couple of chances gone begging, Mike Hussey has made the most of his innings and return to form and together with Siddle handed Australia a series win to Ponting.

For the moment, the only thing that doesn't stack up is Marcus North in a winning side. Very poor form and consistent poor form should see him out of the line up. No runs, dropped catches, arrghh !

Fitness permitting, Katich should return. The way I see it, whilst I am still unconvinced on Hughes. I think he could keep his spot for Hobart to open with Watson. Katich and Hussey could sort themselves out at No.5 & 6 respectively. Hussey plays well with the tail and can rotate the strike to suit when required. As he did with Siddle. Katich is familiar with batting down the order; even though he might prefer to open.

But if the selectors replace Hughes with Katich, it would be a clear indication by the selectors that Hughes is not yet ready and Katich is still preferable as opener at this stage. It might well also open the door for two changes. ie. North for C.White...at No.6.

what about P.Siddle ?

he has not taken many wickets this summer. close enough is not good enough. the question remains though, is there anyone knocking to replace him ?

It's fair enough to ask the question, but I wouldn't drop him for the last match of this series.

Bad luck Jaded. it rules you out of the 3rd test then.

If Hauritz was out, Jaded would have to be a chance.

(We've tried just about everyone else).

Drop Misbah!

Up 28, down 37, even, even, up 3, down 8, up 13, too stressful!

Meanwhile the test at Newlands is shaping up as a cracker. Collingwood and Bell have (somehow) seen out Steyn and the second session.

One session remaining for South Africa to square the series.

Edited by 45HG16

Duminy, what a cricketer. Two vital wickets (from two very good close in catches) and there's now 11 overs left with three wickets in hand.

Meanwhile, Bangladesh make 296 in a one dayer and India need 108 from the last 101 balls.

Impossibly close bump ball decision goes England's way.

20 balls left, two wickets in hand. Wow.

Inspired bowling change, morkel on for steyn and Bell's great innings comes to an end. 17 balls left, one wicket.

5 balls left morkel to onions oh dear I was going to bed hours ago, the missus will be thrilled.

A review on the second last ball. Not out.

Last ball...

Edited by 45HG16

Oh. My. God. I hate England so much. Another last-gasp draw. That man Onions saves the day again. Bloody Collingwood drops the anchor again. South Africa fail to get the last wicket again.

In other news, we've named an unchanged line-up for Hobart. As I suspected would be the case since it is a dead rubber, North gets one final chance. I suspect if he fails again he won't be on the plane to NZ.

If Katich is fit, though, it's possible North could be dropped, but the likelihood is that Katich won't be fit and Hughes will open again.

what about P.Siddle ?

he has not taken many wickets this summer. close enough is not good enough. the question remains though, is there anyone knocking to replace him ?

The lack of wickets is troubling, but most commentators thought he was our best bowler in the first innings in Melbourne. Possibly the unluckiest bowling innings I've ever seen. But of course, as you say, close enough is not always good enough, and with Ben Hilfenhaus eventually coming back Siddle's going to need some wickets soon.

Makes you wonder if they would have stuck fat with him at 1-1 ?

I reckon they would of kept him in for this third test regardless.

After this test, there is a break from Test cricket for a while.

I reckon they always planned to play him in Hobart, but I reckon now they'll be considering a replacement for the NZ tour.

Next test after Hobart is on March 19.

Oh dear

8 for 4 from 12 balls at the Adelaide Oval

10 for 53 from 69 balls

13 for 74 from 101 balls

14 for 78 from 111 balls

and finally;

15 for 112 from 130 balls

Edited by 45HG16