Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2016 Rio Olympics

MadAsHell

Saw the women's rugby 7's had a decent start also. 53-0 over Colombia.

Meanwhile the Kookaburra's are 2-0 up on New Zealand part way through the 2nd term.

5 hours ago, Macca said:

I might bump up the schedule in the evening as well as the morning seeing all it requires now is a copy & paste (with a few minor adjustments) 

Channel 7 are devoting all 4 of their channels to the Olympics (apart from when the footy or news coverage intervenes)  Therefore there's a good chance we'll be able to see a number of the team events involving Australia (often in their entirety)  All times are AEST ... 

Saturday August 6th (evening)

9.30pm   Rowing ............................ Heats

10.30pm Men's Road Cycling ........ Men's Road Race

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday August 7th (morning)

1.00am  Beach Volleyball (W) ........ Australia vs Costa Rica

2.00am  Swimming ......................... Heats

2.30am  Men's Hockey ................... Kookaburras vs New Zealand

2.30am  Women's Rugby 7's  ......... Pearls vs Colombia

3.15am  Men's Basketball ............... Boomers vs France

6.30am  Women's Basketball .......... Opals vs Brazil

7.00am  Women's Soccer ............... Matildas vs Germany

7.30am  Women's Rugby 7's ........... Pearls vs Fiji

9.30am  Women's Hockey .............. Hockeyroos vs Great Britain

9.50am  Men's Waterpolo ............... Sharks vs Brazil

11.00am Swimming Finals .............. Men's 400 IM final

Women's 400 IM final 

Men's 400M freestyle final

Women's 4 x 100 freestyle relay final

Sunday August 7th (evening)

9.30pm  Rowing ............................... Repechages

Monday August 8th (morning)

1.30am   Women's Road Cycling ..... Women's Road Race  

2.00am   Swimming .......................... Heats    

2.30am   Women's Rugby 7's ........... Pearls vs USA

6.30am   Women's Basketball .......... Opals vs Turkey

9.30am   Men's Hockey .................... Kookaburras vs Spain

11.00am Swimming Finals................. Women's 100m butterfly final

Men's 100m breaststroke final

Women's 400m freestyle final

Men's 4 x 100 freestle relay final

• The Swimming finals will be held in the late evening in Rio (10pm start local time) which will mean they'll be shown from about 11am AEST.  The swimming finals are held during the first week.
  • The large majority of the Track & Field finals will be held in the evening (8pm) in Rio (about 9am AEST) with about another 10 finals held in the morning (marathons, walks etc)  The track & field events are being held during the 2nd week.
  • The Rowing finals will be shown from 8.30am local time (9.30pm AEST) beginning from the first Wednesday of the games (August 10)
  • The Track Cycling finals will be held from 4pm local time (5am AEST) beginning from the first first Friday of the games (August 12)

Daily schedule from NBC.com ... although the site is US based, the website does convert the event times to AEST and is easy to read.  All the events are listed in chronological order.

Channel 7 are also doing a highlights type show/package from 7pm - 9pm every night ('In Rio Today')

Just quoting you for the purpose of this being on the next page Macca.

By the way which is the 4th channel that 7 are using? Obviously their primary one, 7two, 7mate?

Kookaburras win 2-1 in unconvincing fashion. But a wins a win.

Mens archery team into semi finals and boomers have a 3 point lead over France at half time (although they did lead by 14 at one stage).

Lets hope this string of good results continues.

• Like 1

Boomers destroy France 87-66. 

Knew they were a good chance, but didn't think they'd do it that easy. If they can beat Serbia in two days time, 2nd place in the group is there for the taking and they have a good shot at a medal from there.

• Like 1

Well done on the matildas with a 2-2 draw with Germany to keep their tournament hopes alive. Shame they couldn't go on with it after being 2-0 up, but given their performance v Canada, it's a great effort.

Also well done to the Opals winning a tough first up match v the host nation after a slow start.

So a good nighy for our teams. Bronze to the mens archery team, wins to the boomers, kookaburra's, opals, wonens beach volleyball team and draw to the matildas.

Lets hope the Hockeyroos and Sharks can keep it going this morning and we can see some gold in the pool with the womens 4 x 100 relay team and Mack Horton.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AngryAtCasey said:

Just quoting you for the purpose of this being on the next page Macca.

By the way which is the 4th channel that 7 are using? Obviously their primary one, 7two, 7mate?

I was counting 7 & 7hd but the 'App' that 7 is providing acts as extra channels.  When it works!  

I'd forgotten that 7 & 7hd broadcast the exact same product.  

Last night I could at various times go straight to any sport that the app was providing a link for. Premium service for the app costs 20 bucks but if you're all over the games like many are, it's money well spent.  

Providing it works efficiently! 

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AngryAtCasey said:

Well done on the matildas with a 2-2 draw with Germany to keep their tournament hopes alive. Shame they couldn't go on with it after being 2-0 up, but given their performance v Canada, it's a great effort.

Also well done to the Opals winning a tough first up match v the host nation after a slow start.

So a good nighy for our teams. Bronze to the mens archery team, wins to the boomers, kookaburra's, opals, wonens beach volleyball team and draw to the matildas.

Lets hope the Hockeyroos and Sharks can keep it going this morning and we can see some gold in the pool with the womens 4 x 100 relay team and Mack Horton.

In the absence of a link that provides up-to-date results with an Aussie accent, your reports are great TD.  Keep up the good work mate.  Many of us want to know what is happening as it is happening - watching anything on delay is not really feasible considering there is so much going on!  One wakes up in the morning with a plethora of live sport already in action.

This page from Wiki helps ... Chronological Summary of the 2016 Rio Olympics (Wiki) (click on any day for results)

For the today's results (Saturday/Sunday results in Australia) click here ...  Day 1 Saturday August 6th (Wiki)

But beware, the up-to-date results aren't always updated in real time - being 'wiki', there's sometimes a bit of lag time.  For instance, the Australian women's rugby 7's (the Pearls) also defeated Fiji 36 - 0 overnight but that result is not posted up on the wiki page as yet.  By the way, the women in the rugby 7's are very talented and it's another good sport to watch. 

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

On 22/04/2016 at 8:24 AM, AngryAtCasey said:

Very early I know as it isn't until early August, but this tweet (on the club website) caught my eye of a potential multiple Gold Medal winner at the upcoming Olympic Games!

Looking forward to getting down to the G on Sunday for my first game of the year and supporting the mighty @melbournefc #carnthedees

7 retweets39 likes

Retweet

More

Good to see the young man has good taste!

Speaking of, they've announced the Australian Swim team and this Dees fan I believe will be competing in the 1500m, 400m and potentially the 4x200m relay team.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/rio-olympics/rio-olympics-2016-australian-swim-team-announced/news-story/1604449d14a24d54b708b2c88f63eb87

Lets hope the whole Australian Olympic team has a better games then we had in London.  Don't know if I could sit through another living version of the Bermagui Bronze!

What a 24 hours for the Dees, this Melbourne supporter i referenced back in April wins Australia's first gold medal of the games!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AngryAtCasey said:

What a 24 hours for the Dees, this Melbourne supporter i referenced back in April wins Australia's first gold medal of the games!

Good call TD.

Man, that was an exciting finish ... I thought he might have got pipped by Sun Yang in the end but he kicked again - Fantastic!!

And of course Mack is a demon fan as well ... win/win 

Mack Horton has won Australia’s first gold of the Olympics with victory in the 400m freestyle

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Great win to the girls in the 4 x 100 freestyle ... did it easy in the end.  World record to boot!

The 2 golds today mirrors the first day of the Sydney Olympics except it was the men's 4 x100 who won along with Thorpie winning the 400 back then.  We won 16 gold in total in Sydney so let's hope we can mirror that return as well.  I'd take that tally of gold in a heartbeat.

Australia’s 4x100m women’s freestyle team produce stunning performance to win gold

Swimming Finals day 1.

• Like 1

Team events and other notable events and medal events scheduled ... all times and dates to be verified and all the times are AEST.  Most of the sports highlighted have Australian representation but not all of course.  I'll post up this abbreviated schedule 2 days at a time just in case I miss a day or so.

Comprehensive daily schedule from NBC.com ... although the site is US based, the website does convert the event times to AEST and is easy to read.

Chronological summary, results & scheduling of each day of the 2016 Rio Olympics (Wiki) (click on any day for the schedule or results)

* * *  Denotes gold medal events.

7,00pm    Highlights program ............. In Rio Today (7hd/7)

9.30pm    Rowing ............................... Repechages

10.45am  Gymnastics ........................ Qualification

11.00pm  Equestrian .......................... Eventing individual & team dressage

11.55pm  Boxing ................................ Preliminary bouts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.30am   Women's Road Cycling ...... Women's Road Race final   * * *

2.00am   Swimming ........................... Heats    

2.30am   Women's Rugby 7's ............ Pearls vs USA

6.30am   Women's Basketball ........... Opals vs Turkey

9.30am   Men's Hockey ..................... Kookaburras vs Spain

11.00am Swimming Finals.................. Women's 100m butterfly final (11.03am) * * *

Men's 100m breaststroke final (11.53am) * * *

Women's 400m freestyle final (12.01pm) * * *

Men's 4 x 100 freestle relay final (12.52pm) * * *

Monday August 8th (evening)

7,00pm   Highlights program ............. In Rio Today (7hd/7)

9.30pm   Rowing ................................ Heats, Repechages & Semi finals

11.00pm Beach Volleyball (W) ........... Australia (Laird & Artacho del Solar) vs Switzerland

11.00pm Equestrian ........................... Eventing individual & team cross country

11.00pm Women's Hockey ................ Hockeyroos vs USA

11.55pm Boxing ................................. Preliminary bouts

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday August 9th (morning)

3.15am   Men's Basketball ................ Boomers vs Serbia

9.50am   Men's Waterpolo ................. Sharks vs Hungary                      

11.00am Swimming Finals.................. Men's 200m freestyle final (11.21am)   * * *

Women's 100m backstroke final (11.30am) * * *

Men's 100m backstroke final (11.38am) * * *

Women's 100m breaststroke final (11.54am)   * * *

12.00pm  Beach Volleyball (W) ......... Australia (Clancy & Bawden) vs Venezuela       

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Macca said:

Team events and other notable events and medal events scheduled ... all times and dates to be verified and all the times are AEST.  Most of the sports highlighted have Australian representation but not all of course.  I'll post up this abbreviated schedule 2 days at a time just in case I miss a day or so.

Comprehensive daily schedule from NBC.com ... although the site is US based, the website does convert the event times to AEST and is easy to read.

Chronological summary, results & scheduling of each day of the 2016 Rio Olympics (Wiki) (click on any day for the schedule or results)

7,00pm    Highlights program ............. In Rio Today (7hd/7)

9.30pm    Rowing ............................... Repechages

10.45am  Gymnastics ........................ Qualification

11.00pm  Equestrian .......................... Eventing individual & team dressage

11.55pm  Boxing ................................ Preliminary bouts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.30am   Women's Road Cycling ...... Women's Road Race final   * * *

2.30am   Women's Rugby 7's ............ Pearls vs USA

6.30am   Women's Basketball ........... Opals vs Turkey

11.00am Swimming Finals.................. Women's 100m butterfly final (11.03am) * * *

9.30pm   Rowing ................................ Heats, Repechages & Semi finals

11.00pm Beach Volleyball (W) ........... Australia (Laird & Artacho del Solar) vs Switzerland

11.00pm Equestrian ........................... Eventing individual & team cross country

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3.15am   Men's Basketball ................ Boomers vs Serbia

11.00am Swimming Finals.................. Men's 200m freestyle final (11.21am)   * * *

12.00pm  Beach Volleyball (W) ......... Australia (Clancy & Bawden) vs Venezuela       

Loving your work with these Macca!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AngryAtCasey said:

Loving your work with these Macca

I'm finding myself adding more & more detail!  At some stage there won't be much more to add other than the team event Q/F's,  S/F's & Finals and I'll add them in when applicable.   But feel free to quote the schedule anytime TD ... or alert this thread or me to an upcoming event.  The template is post #29 on this thread if anyone wants to look further ahead.

Honestly, I'd be lost without something like the schedule I've drawn up ... trying to wing-it with the time differences and the amount of sports is near impossible.  What helps me is obviously going to help others.  Happy to pass it all on.

• Like 1

So far I have to give Seven's coverage a whopping 2/10.  Last night they had the Men's road race on two channels and interviews with swimmers on the other.  Meanwhile our medal chances in the equestrian don't get any air time at all and they showed a minute or so of the judo and one shot from our archery bronze medal match.  The promised 3:15 start to the basketball turned out to be five minutes coverage at 3:40.  And of course if you want to watch anything else on the app you need to pay for it. 

Fortunately if you use something to change your IP you can watch NBC and get full coverage for free on your PC. 

18 minutes ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

So far I have to give Seven's coverage a whopping 2/10.  Last night they had the Men's road race on two channels and interviews with swimmers on the other.  Meanwhile our medal chances in the equestrian don't get any air time at all and they showed a minute or so of the judo and one shot from our archery bronze medal match.  The promised 3:15 start to the basketball turned out to be five minutes coverage at 3:40.  And of course if you want to watch anything else on the app you need to pay for it. 

Fortunately if you use something to change your IP you can watch NBC and get full coverage for free on your PC. 

3 channels isn't enough to satisfy 30 odd sports with people's sporting tastes varying so much.  It's looking like 7hd & 7 won't be used for any particular sport exclusively aside from gold medal events which don't take up a great deal of time (swimming, track & field, track cycling, rowing et al)  

Which leaves us with 7mate & 7two to cover all the other sports events ... a big ask.  They should have had a partnership with cable as they've done previously but a large majority of people don't have cable.   We're just going to have to hope they can prioritise things properly as the games unfold.

21 minutes ago, Macca said:

3 channels isn't enough to satisfy 30 odd sports with people's sporting tastes varying so much.  It's looking like 7hd & 7 won't be used for any particular sport exclusively aside from gold medal events which don't take up a great deal of time (swimming, track & field, track cycling, rowing et al)  

Which leaves us with 7mate & 7two to cover all the other sports events ... a big ask.  They should have had a partnership with cable as they've done previously but a large majority of people don't have cable.   We're just going to have to hope they can prioritise things properly as the games unfold.

That's all very well, but to play the same event on two of the three channels and run filler on the third when they have people on social media (LOTS of people) screaming at them about the events they aren't showing is just bad management.  Especially when they were advertising their coverage leading up to the games as showing every event. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

That's all very well, but to play the same event on two of the three channels and run filler on the third when they have people on social media (LOTS of people) screaming at them about the events they aren't showing is just bad management.  Especially when they were advertising their coverage leading up to the games as showing every event. 

I agree it hasn't been great. What makes ut worse is yhat their app is so temperamental and regularly doesn't work. For example when the Boomers match started and wasn't being shown on TV I used the app. Sadly the commentary was about 7 seconds out to the footage. Plus it wasn't even the Australian commentators.

Hopefully things improve over the next two weeks.

• Like 1

Australian Women Rugby 7's dodge a bullet by scoring a last minute try to salvage a 12-12 draw with USA and top their group.

Quarter Final will be at 6am. Not sure who they'll be playing as yet.

• Like 1

Was great to see Australia claim another gold, this time in shooting overnight.

Also just saw the girls take bronze in the womens 3m synchro spring board.

Womens rugby 7'also won 26-0 in their quarter final v spain and will play their semi final tomorrow.

Edited by AngryAtCasey
  • Like 1

The Opals defeated Turkey 61 - 56 as well.  That's 2/2 now and on track.

Keeney and Smith win Rio diving bronze

Catherine Skinner has won Australia’s third gold medal with victory in women’s trap

Catherine Skinner celebrates her gold medal success.

3.15am   Men's Basketball ................. Boomers vs Serbia

3.30am  Women's Rugby 7's  ............ Pearls vs Canada (S/F)

7.30am  Women's Rugby 7's ............. Bronze medal match 

8.00am  Women's Rugby 7's ............. Gold medal match

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Thanks Macca.

Also worth noting Tuesday morning that the womens Rugby 7's play their semi final v Canada at 3:30am and depending on the result, the bronze medal match is at 7:30am or gold medal match at 8:00am.

• Like 1

Kookaburra's patchy form continues with a 0-1 loss to Spain.

It probably doesn't matter as much this Olympics as in previous given they've now got a quarter final stage (use to only be semi's). But they'll want to improve their form. 

As world number 1, they shouldn't be worried about whoever they draw in the quarter finals.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AngryAtCasey said:

Thanks Macca.

Also worth noting Tuesday morning that the womens Rugby 7's play their semi final v Canada at 3:30am and depending on the result, the bronze medal match is at 7:30am or gold medal match at 8:00am.

Thanks for the info on the rugby 7's schedule TD ... I've edited the above post and will post up the schedule again later on (we'll be on a new page by then)

Not sure on the scheduling of the rowing finals after last night's meet being cancelled but google hasn't adjusted the dates & times yet.  Anyway, I'm a convert to the rugby 7's ... another plus for women's sport.

Freestyle relay bronze for Aussie men 

In a positive sign for the individual event, McEvoy split the second fastest time of the final, clocking a 47.00 to Nathan Adrian’s 46.97 while Chalmers recorded a 47.04 from the heats.

To come away with a medal was a big ask for the team and the boys battled for the bronze, with McEvoy flying past Russia’s Alexander Sukhorukov in the final 50 metres of the race to touch in third.

http%3A%2F%2Faoc%2Dcdn.s3.amazonaws.com%

• Like 1