POSTGAME: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

7 minutes ago, croydick said:

hate to say it but billings was decent (if you ignore that first kick for goal)

Agree 18 disposals, 7 marks and a goal in less than a half of footy - he certainly wasn’t our worst today. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Lost clearances 47-15 

Hitouts 47-9 

Where's the champion Goody nuffies this week?

[censored], some of those praising Goody's selection and coaching decisions this week are out for him this week.

If you decide to paint over cracks, this is what you get

• Like 3
  • Clap 4

8 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Cannot believe the chicken littles, sky is falling and the constant disparagement.

Young ones will be inconsistent, it is the next few games that will define our season.

So we lose one, it is not the finish of us as a competitive team.

Keep building Dees.

The young players are not the problem. 
Senior players are. 

Fluctuation in form is one thing. But when you’re getting mauled in every “effort” stat that’s another. Smashed in every aspect of the game that is meant to be our DNA. Inexcusable. 

Nobody expected us to win, least of all me, but effort is a non negotiable and so many players have to be questioned on their effort today. And no I don’t mean first year, or second, or even third year players.

I am talking senior players with 100+ games under their belt, letting their opponents waltz out of packs and mark uncontested time and time and time again.
I didn’t care that we got monstered in the ruck, I cared that we had Viney Oliver Salem Nibbler and Sparrow, premiership players with stacks of experience, apply no pressure in the contest. Young, Sarong and Brayshaw may as well have been at a little league clinic today. 

-36 in contested possessions and -31 in clearances, with the lowest clearance numbers recorded since the 90s! That is sky is falling level performance. Or no performance. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 2

5 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Not sure if serious

Did you watch the game? It's round 19, not 3

Cannot watch, overseas and a wifi link is not possible to set up and the watch AFL and streaming to a tv comes out at about $100 a month. as a guest I cannot set up with the modem etcetera.  listened on the radio.

That aside, I am disappointed in the negative of many on the Demonland. I am amazed that you put yourselves through pain. It is a game that usually half those watching lose or win. To be so infuriated and disparaging with a loss just bamboozle me.  

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

1 minute ago, Jaded No More said:

The young players are not the problem. 
Senior players are

Turner played well last week, this week not much.

JVR seemed the same, as was kossie.

I only listened to the game but could be wrong.

Probably our worst defensive game structurally that I can remember. The number of goals they scored by just being all on their own in f50 is completely bewildering. Lever seemed at fault for probably 10 goals. I'm sure he wasn't as clearly they just walked the ball down the field uncontested which makes his life difficult, but gee whiz...

Simon why would you push the defensive line high with no ruck against a dominant ruck duo? We compressed the field...leading to stoppages....leading to clearance loss ...leading to them running back to goal uncontested when they are pacy and we are not...

Like honestly what the hell was the plan? 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Lil_red_fire_engine said:

I don’t think it was the young ones that were the worry in that game. 

Couldn't watch the game, listened to it.

Didn't hear that the youngsters played well from the commentary. 

We are a young team!

4 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Cannot watch, overseas and a wifi link is not possible to set up and the watch AFL and streaming to a tv comes out at about $100 a month. as a guest I cannot set up with the modem etcetera.  listened on the radio.

That aside, I am disappointed in the negative of many on the Demonland. I am amazed that you put yourselves through pain. It is a game that usually half those watching lose or win. To be so infuriated and disparaging with a loss just bamboozle me.  

let people vent mate. i love your positivity but some folks need to vent to their spleen

have a good holiday!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Btw we lost 5% today, we lost like 8% in Alice.

13% lost against one single opponent, one of the reasons we are in this current situation.

So, if it wasn’t for those meddling kids, we would be comfortably 2nd on 48 points and 116%. Darn flagmantle!

Actually, it shows you just how [censored] everybody else is going as well.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

30 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

From all reports he struggles to win a ruck contest at Casey. Not sure he would have won many against Darcy and Jackson. 

I haven't seen him play, but there must be a reason he isn't picked. If he is uncompetitive, bringing him in won't help our clearances and effectuvely leave them a man down.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kev martin said:

Turner played well last week, this week not much.

JVR seemed the same, as was kossie.

I only listened to the game but could be wrong.

You are wrong. First Kosi is no longer a young player. He’s played 100 games and his effort today was subpar. Not good enough. Likewise Fritta. 

I think you need to watch the game if you’re going to comment about the young players being inconsistent. It wasn’t Turner or Roo or Windsor that let us down today. 
Lever had maybe 8 goals kicked on him today. Salem 10 touches, Sparrow 15, Nibbler 16, Oliver 18 and only 3 clearances, Viney only 2 clearances! 
In contrast Brayshaw 41, Sarong 36, Young 28 for a combined 19 clearances. 
Absolute putrid effort. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

13 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

An embarrassing performance. 

We constantly allowed them to handball to back of stoppage uncontested, and do as they pleased.

The scoreline flattered us.

A lack of spread on defensive transition. It seemed all too hard.

I'll hold fire on a couple of players, but gee whiz, it was tough to watch.

Let's just say, given contest numbers went up in the second half, I'd point to psychological weakness in the first half.

And you can't lose clearance by 31(!) and expect to be in the game. There's slingshot and then there's uncompetitive at the contest, and we were that for most of the day.

Although there were some terrible moments forward of centre and in the back half from our defenders, the mids are responsible for today's capitulation. 

Can you remember an MFC game in the last 5 years where we were 'controlled' at the stoppage as much as this one? If they weren't flicking it to the back and getting first use with their eyes closed they were manhandling us and slicing us right through the front. 

It was scary, and like window shopping with a significant other there's nothing you can do about it. You simply have to get hands on the footy more. 

Edited by layzie
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, wizardinoz said:

Then why take him over with the team to WA? We had nothing to lose by playing him.

I agree. If he's completely uncompetitive in the ruck, why is he an emergency?

I wouldn't mind seeing him with Max in the team, to be honest. The season is well and truly over. We've done well to give Moniz-Wakefield and Tholstrup a try and get a good look at Turner as a forward. We've put a few different players through the midfield rotation. Why not take another step outside the conservatism of 2022 and 2023?

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

8 minutes ago, Supdeano said:

Where's the champion Goody nuffies this week?

[censored], some of those praising Goody's selection and coaching decisions this week are out for him this week.

If you decide to paint over cracks, this is what you get

don’t think anyone will stick up for Goodys coaching this week. horrible defence. 

Tram selection had little to do with the loss. fullarton or Verrall would have been smashed. Maybe the criticism is not having an AFL ready ruck in reserve 

• Like 3

Just now, DubDee said:

let people vent mate. i love your positivity but some folks need to vent to their spleen

have a good holiday!

The venting was all through the game day forum. Gets a bit much.

I can understand after the game.

The threads really tick over when the game doesn't go our way. When we take control the thread has much less input.

Seems the venters want to be the dominant voice.

Makes like they don't enjoy footy.

• Clap 1

2 minutes ago, Deebymistake said:

Why take Kolt off? Nice way to pee off a young player playing in his home state.  Where was Kozzie?  Will Langdon ride home?  That is all from me.

Kolt was terrible. Young player, hopefully he'll step up next time.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

29 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Cannot believe the chicken littles, sky is falling and the constant disparagement.

Young ones will be inconsistent, it is the next few games that will define our season.

So we lose one, it is not the finish of us as a competitive team.

Keep building Dees.

You're not wrong Kev, it's not the end of us as a competitive team. We do however have a lot of work to do.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

You are wrong. First Kosi is no longer a young player. He’s played 100 games and his effort today was subpar. Not good enough. Likewise Fritta. 

I think you need to watch the game if you’re going to comment about the young players being inconsistent. It wasn’t Turner or Roo or Windsor that let us down today. 
Lever had maybe 8 goals kicked on him today. Salem 10 touches, Sparrow 15, Nibbler 16, Oliver 18 and only 3 clearances, Viney only 2 clearances! 
In contrast Brayshaw 41, Sarong 36, Young 28 for a combined 19 clearances. 
Absolute putrid effort. 

That is damning. I wonder how many of ours watched the stoppage tapes. Young was running through the misalle of the stoppage and winning the ball. Even if Gawn was there , he would have done the same. 

Goody and McQualter on notice. Can’t lose to the same team the same way in 2 months. Did we learn nothing? 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, kev martin said:

The venting was all through the game day forum. Gets a bit much.

I can understand after the game.

The threads really tick over when the game doesn't go our way. When we take control the thread has much less input.

Seems the venters want to be the dominant voice.

Makes like they don't enjoy footy.

yeah i get you. some people seem to revel in our demise. weird

Just now, kev martin said:

Kossie is 23 or 24 (still young), cannot be in his prime yet, 27 to 28 is when they come into their prime, I reckon.

Sure, but when he’s refusing to chase or tackle that’s not age that’s just poor effort. 
I will say that he didn’t play much on ball today, and we didn’t get a lot of ball inside 50, but he had 6 touches and 3 clangers today.

Chandler who every man and his dog is yelling to get rid of, has played half the number of games and had 10 touches and kicked 2 from the same low number of forward 50 entries. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Probably lucky. 
I saw the first half, but then spent the next half being violently ill. 
But, after hearing that it (the game) only got worse, I feel lucky I wasn’t subjected to it. 
I can look back and remember them as they were. 
[cue Barbra Streisand…]

• Haha 1