PODCAST: Rd 15 vs North Melbourne

On 23/06/2024 at 21:47, RadishDee said:

PSYCHOLOGY

I loved the discussion on mentality and psychology from the last episode. The negativity in our beloved football club is self-evident on the field, for example the moment between Max and Maysie in the last quarter. But it's all over. The players look stressed and in their heads. I hope the club finds a way to change this or I fear this season is going to be like 2020.

Is part of the problem games at the MCG? This may sound like heresy, but the MFCSS is strong and I have often felt in the last 5 years while watching the Dees at the 'G that when a Melbourne player makes a mistake, there is an audible groan from the crowd. This has to have an effect on the players. Was part of the massive success of 2021, the fact that all the finals were played outside of Melbourne where most supporters were not overburdened with MFCSS? I remember from Maxy's book that the mental changes in the offseason going into 2021 were fundamental to the success in his mind.

Could the MFC faithful out there try and bite their tongues and see if anything improves? Or is the MFCSS too strong?

FORWARD LINE

Whatever the outcome of this season is, the footy department MUST find a solution to the forward line woes for the 2025 season. It was the problem in 2022, 2023 and part of the problem in 2024. It's the only significant long term problem we have (I'm still bullish on the midfield in terms of talent and experience) and the team can't continue to accept that.

Good point re MCG and how our supporters respond during moments i  the game. I think the club is well aware of this and Pert had said on many occasions how our supporters inspire our players on the field - I see this as a positive way of highlighting that the way the crowd responds has a positive or negative impact. Paul Roos often spoke of the veil of negativity from our supporters during games.

Contrast this to Collingwood who have a ridiculously good record of winning close games at the MCG and coming back in the 4th quarter over the past few years. This cannot be purely down to luck and I think is in large part due to energy their supporters provide.

Re our forward line I think too much is made of our lack of key forwards. Late last season our forward line was absolutely firing with Melksham straightening up our entire forward line before being injured in our round 24 win v Sydney. Petty looked like Tony Lockett kicking 6 v Richmond in round 20 before being injured in round 21 v North Melbourne. Fritch returned in round 24 after missing 6 games to kick 5 goals and Pickett, Trac and ANB were regular contributors.

In finals we were without Melksham, Petty, JVR (in the semi final v Carlton) and were within a kick of the Collingwood in the QF and had the lead vs Carlton until very late in the 4th quarter.

• Like 1

The idea that our under 22 talent isn't any good is ridiculous. If they weren't any good we wouldn't win any games.

Terrible take George.

Also people, injury issues permitting Trac, Salem, Oliver, Lever, Langdon, Fritsch have a good 5-6 years left. We don't have to think about replacing them for a long time.

Yes, Gawn and May are obviously nearing the end in probably 2 years, however we can use trade a FA to replace them if we can't develop within.

Stop worrying about replacing players, that's the list manager and recruiters job.

• Like 2

Thanks for another great Pod @Demonland, @george_on_the_outer, and @binman!  The work you guys put in for us supporters, 'win, lose, draw, or even wins that feel like a loss', is outstanding and greatly appreciated!

I must confess, before this week's Pod, I was 'down in the dumps' about our prospects vs Brisbane.  Thanks for 'opening my eyes' Binners!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Another great pod. 

My favourite Binman quote this week was the discussion about the afl making up new rules after they wake up with a hangover and decide just to trial something, knowing they will probably change it mid year 🤌👏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

A very good pod, listened to it yesterday evening when doing some odd jobs around the house 👍

I am closer to Binman in my views, I think the Dees may still have some tricks up their sleeves this season and could cause an upset if they make the 8. 

I think the aim should be to make the 8 and give an elimination final experience to the younger players.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 26/06/2024 at 11:19, DistrACTION Jackson said:

The idea that our under 22 talent isn't any good is ridiculous. If they weren't any good we wouldn't win any games.

Terrible take George.

Also people, injury issues permitting Trac, Salem, Oliver, Lever, Langdon, Fritsch have a good 5-6 years left. We don't have to think about replacing them for a long time.

Yes, Gawn and May are obviously nearing the end in probably 2 years, however we can use trade a FA to replace them if we can't develop within.

Stop worrying about replacing players, that's the list manager and recruiters job.

Yeah I thought this was harsh as well, it’s impossible to replace 25-30yo players like for like with 19-22yo - the kids will be fine in most cases but they need time. I get the frustration but there’s not much to be done about it. 

I thought it was going to come to blows in the first 3min of the pod but it settled after that 😂 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fromgotowoewodin said:

Yeah I thought this was harsh as well, it’s impossible to replace 25-30yo players like for like with 19-22yo - the kids will be fine in most cases but they need time. I get the frustration but there’s not much to be done about it. 

I thought it was going to come to blows in the first 3min of the pod but it settled after that 😂 

I was channelling Scotty 'keep punching' Palmer.

image.png.47bd43ff5ce06849f7be6f572825930c.png

• Haha 2
  • Clap 1