CASEY: Rd 01 vs Sandringham

Demonland

Is there a replay? Was working so couldn't watch it. Brown, Bedford, van Rooyen and Dunstan seem to be knocking on the door I didn't watch it so I really can't comment.

• Like 1

Now I'm well aware of how silly this sounds but there was a moment in the 3rd quarter that kind of summed Weideman up for me.

He was on the bench waiting to come on for Rooter (their nickname for Van Rooyen) & play was stuck on the other half of the ground. He yelled Rooter a couple of times. Loud, but not loud enough. Rooter didn't hear it and stayed on for probably 2 minutes longer than he should have. Sam yelled twice and then stood with hands on hips, defeated. Meanwhile, two players for Sandy were rotated (whilst play was still on the far wing) after their counterparts were far louder and more intense in demanding rotation, whilst they were down by 60. It's stupid I know, but it was just a really stark contrast at the ground. 

I like the kid and hope he can find some intensity. My honest opinion is it's going to take a trade to make it happen. His biggest strength as a junior - flies at the ball with long arms - is his biggest weakness as a senior. Applies no body, wants to use reach only. Block, buffet or engage Sam and you've won the contest.

JVR was far more dynamic, intense and hardworking at the ground, despite clearly not quite having the fitness for it and 6 years less in the system. I worry for Sam - looks a footballer, seems to think he is a footballer, engaged to be married and approaching his prime, but his career has been a bit of a non starter really

• Like 8

I watched the game.

Firstly what a great win by Casey. Didn't really have a bad player on the ground, Weideman and Rosman were average but that's about it. The 5 day break doesn't really help the Casey players knocking on the door. I think either Hibbo or Lever will replace Hunt and the sub will be Bedford again and the emergencies will be M.Brown, Hunt and Dunstan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WERRIDEE said:

I watched the game.

Firstly what a great win by Casey. Didn't really have a bad player on the ground, Weideman and Rosman were average but that's about it. The 5 day break doesn't really help the Casey players knocking on the door. I think either Hibbo or Lever will replace Hunt and the sub will be Bedford again and the emergencies will be M.Brown, Hunt and Dunstan.

Honestly I felt Dunstan was our best and got better as the game went on.  I can see him playing senior footy soon. Other noted players I feel  were Woey Jnr and Micth Brown of course. 

• Like 1
  • Vomit 1

13 hours ago, monoccular said:

A couple

of questions for our Casey watchers

1/ anyone kicking the door down after today (assuming all fit in the seniors)?

2/ Howes - does he have a “plays like” for comparison, and where do you see him fitting in ultimately?

The game standard was low and I suspect that has something to do with the lack of game time over past two years in VFL footy.. Dunstan looked the standout to me, I don't say he is "knocking the door down" but I can see him play ahead of younger Bedford due only to experience. Dunstan got 11 Brownlow votes last year so he must have something in his tank to warrant that. Howes and Van Rooyen will have to bide their time. p.s. Liked Laurie's game... 

• Like 1

ADVANTAGE CASEY by KC from Casey 

The Casey Demons held all of the advantages over their rivals from Sandringham as the teams played off in the long-awaited VFL season opener on Sunday. For starters, they were playing on their home turf and secondly, they outnumbered their opponents 16 to 9 in AFL listed players which, at this level, is enormous. They also were well above the Zebras in class and general preparation for the contest and this was reflected in the way they took charge of proceedings after a slow beginning and romped to an 83-point win that sees them sitting comfortably on top of the ladder after Round 1.

Veteran forward Mitch Brown led the way with seven goals for the day, including three in the second term, that should put him in contention to join his key forward namesake with a senior berth against his old side Essendon on Friday night at the MCG. He moved well, marked strongly and proved a handful for the Zebra defenders. He was aided and abetted up forward by recruit Jacob van Rooyen who booted three goals for the day in an outstanding debut at the club.

After the break, with the visitors tiring, it became a case of how far the Casey lead would extend by the end of the game. The home side was well led by seasoned VFL campaigners in Mitch White and Jimmy Munro whose efforts helped create team dominance in every sector of the ground.

The game also underlined the club’s great depth with Luke Dunstan showing that he isn’t far off a return to the AFL in his new colours despite the fact that the Melbourne midfield is a formidable place to break into. Toby Bedford who sat on the sidelines as substitute in the sticky conditions on the Gold Coast on Saturday night shook off the Zebras with pace, poise and three goals.

Youngsters on debut in Blake Howes and Taj Woewodin were excellent and Deakyn Smith showed definite signs of improvement with a strong display in defence. Bailey Laurie who was rarely sighted last year due to injury and a truncated VFL season looked the goods up forward with a lively two goal performance. Rookies Judd McVee and Andy Moniz-Wakefield are also likely prospects for the future.

The Demons will take their home ground advantage into Round 2 when they play the Bombers’ VFL team next Saturday at Casey Fields.

CASEY DEMONS 4.2.26 11.5.71 16.8.104 21.14.140

SANDRINGHAM 2.3.15 5.3.33 6.7.43 8.9.57

GOALS 

CASEY DEMONS M Brown 7 Bedford Van Rooyen 3 Laurie White 2 Chandler Dunstan Weideman Woewodin 

SANDRINGHAM Carey Geary Henness Kent Kyle Lohmann McHale Ryder

BEST

CASEY DEMONS Brown Munro Van Rooyen Dunstan White Smith Bedford Baker

SANDRINGHAM Ryder Windhager Connolly Owens Heath Geary Seaton

STATISTICS 

Oskar Baker 18 kicks 5 handballs 23 disposals 6 marks 1 tackle 87 dream team points
Toby Bedford 3 goals 1 behind 10 kicks 3 handballs 13 disposals 5 marks 5 tackles 91 dream team points
Mitch Brown 7 goals 3 behinds 18 kicks 1 handball 19 disposals 14 marks 2 tackles 155 dream team points
Kade Chandler 4 kicks 1 handball 5 disposals 1 mark 25 dream team points
Majak Daw 1 behind 7 kicks 1 handball 8 disposals 3 tackles 22 hit outs 59 dream team points
Luke Dunstan 1 goal 20 kicks 5 handballs 25 disposals 7 marks 4 tackles 113 dream team points
Corey Ellison 6 kicks 4 handballs 10 disposals 2 marks 2 tackles 34 dream team points
Tom Freeman 6 kicks 2 handballs 8 disposals 3 marks 2 tackles 33 dream team points
Luca Goonan 13 kicks 5 handballs 18 disposals  4 marks 62 dream team points
Blake Howes 1 behind 6 kicks 10 handballs 16 disposals 3 marks 3 tackles 58 dream team points
Bailey Laurie 2 goals 10 kicks 10 handballs 20 disposals 3 marks 5 tackles 86 dream team points
Judd McVee 1 behind 8 kicks 9 handballs 17 disposals 8 marks 4 tackles 83 dream team points
Jake Melksham 8 kicks 6 handballs 14 disposals 4 marks 2 tackles 53 dream team points
Bryce Milford 6 kicks 7 handballs 13 disposals 5 marks 1 tackle 51 dream team points
Andy Moniz-Wakefield 5 kicks 9 handballs 14 disposals 2 marks 1 tackles 44 dream team points
James Munro 13 kicks 13 handballs 26 disposals 2 marks 7 tackles 97 dream team points
Aiden Quigley 2 kicks 1 handballs 3 disposals 8 dream team points
Fraser Rosman 8 kicks 2 handballs 10 disposals 4 marks 41 dream team points
Deakyn Smith 15 kicks 6 handballs 21 disposals 10 marks 1 tackle 91dream team points
Sam Weideman 1 goal 1 behind 9 kicks 4 handballs 13 disposals 6 marks 2 tackles 4 hit outs 68 dream team points
Mitch White 2 goals 1 behind 15 kicks 6 handballs 21 disposals 3 marks 4 tackles 94 dream team points
Taj Woewodin 1 goal 12 kicks 6 handballs disposals 8 marks 1 tackles 84 dream team points
Jacob Van Rooyen 3 goals 2 behinds 11 kicks 1 handball 12 disposals 8 marks 4 tackles 2 hit outs 98 dream team points

E67DBCA2-1A2A-49C9-9B56-A887596D28EA.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

10 hours ago, Baghdad Bob said:

I enjoyed the game of Judd McVee and thought Rosman had a much better second half. Kade Chandler was very good before injury. 

McVee certainly has the tools to play senior footy at AFL level this year if he continues on with good form. With Hibberd on his last legs and Hunt not exactly in good form there is certainly a chance for McVee and Deakyn Smith to press for senior selection.

He defended well first and then attacked when he needed too. I didn't really notice much of that dash that we saw with his draft highlights, but  that doesn't mean he didn't play his role. 

The coaches would have been really happy with his performance. 

On Rosman there has been a few comments on how ordinary he was etc. We need to temper expectations on the likes of Rosman and Laurie who really have barely played any footy in the past 18 months. I too didn't notice him until later on the game but I also didn't see anything that said he was ordinary throughout the game.

Rosman played a new role yesterday in the backline and I put that down to our recent injuries to our talls. I think with his athleticism and marking ability they probably see him as that Joel Smith type who can play on talls and smalls. 

He's been training with the midfield group all summer so it's only been late that they have decided to move him down back in a role he's not use too at all. I personally like to see him settle down back in that role or even as a high half forward role due to his high endurance level. 

Took an absolute ripper of a mark in defence at one stage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, DeeZone said:

21.14 - 140 points pretty impressive and emphatic win lead by Brown, Munro ,White and Dunstan well supported by our young brigade. Top effort boys.!!!

I'll never get sick of seeing this score. If there are any numerologists out there, what can we conclude from the Melbourne Seconds team having the same scoreline in their first game of 2022 following on from the seniors last game of 2021?  

• Like 1
  • Love 2

For those wanting another look
Casey Demons v Sandy Zebs replay

Looks like AFL On Demand are ramping things up a bit. Live streaming of all VFL games is now a thing as is putting up the games for replay a day or so later.

Looks like you can't cast it though which is somewhat annoying. Still, better than nothing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1