Demonstone's Discombobulator

Demonstone

13 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

The time has passed for PMs which means I can now make a fool of myself in public.

Could it be that they all share first names that sound like the first names of basketballers?

??

7 minutes ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

If it is, can I claim Tin? I'd just decided to go down the Majak>Magic inquiry line when your post pinged in, d.

Nah, that’s not it, but you’re kinda on the right track(ish). 
BTW. I don’t award ?  ? ? 

Instead, everyone gets a participation certificate. ?

This is taking longer than expected, so ima offer up a Saturday Special: 2 clues for the price of one! 

1.Disregard their first names. They matter not. They were only included to up the difficulty level. 

2. While they are all footballers, they don’t necessarily have to be. They would still share the same link. They could be ordinary, everyday people, a mixture of things, in fact. 

NB: the second clue is a clue within a clue. 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar

1 hour ago, Engorged Onion said:

Anything to do wearing vests? 
or Irish musicians?

No, a couple of random answers there, though. 

Left the ‘s’ off ‘answers’ so trying to avoid my own personal 9/11

5 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

No, a couple of random answer there, though. 

Indeed, it’s a random riddle as well.

Neural pathways take me where they do.

• Haha 1

Ok Ill have a crack...

Suggestion 1 all players 1st disposal in AFL was a result of a free kick?

2 All players went to Private schools

3 No players listed went through TAC Cup footy

55 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

Absolutely NFI.

Either I'm dumber than I originally thought, or you need to give better clues WCW. ?

(and how the hell did you come up with a name like "WalkingCivilWar" anyway? I bet the reason is as obscure as the clues you have given here!?)

My name is a line from a song by a band that I love. I realise it gives an impression the complete opposite of what it really is. But this band, Mercury Rev (which also gives the wrong impression), produce the sweetest music ever. You could use it to put a baby to sleep. The name is apt since I don’t do indecision well. 
Anyways I’m gonna give another clue to my puzzling team. This one should break it wide open. I hope so for two reasons. Firstly, the longer the guesswork goes the higher the likelihood of an anticlimax. And secondly, I need to get a move on re my game day routine of feeling sick and not being able to concentrate on anything. ?
Clue: if you enjoy cryptic crosswords, you should be able to solve it. Also, I am a bone fide logophile. That should make things easier. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Ok Ill have a crack...

Suggestion 1 all players 1st disposal in AFL was a result of a free kick?

2 All players went to Private schools

3 No players listed went through TAC Cup footy

Soz. Big bunch of nope right there. ? 

• Haha 1

Ok, another clue. And this one’s a whopper!

I hope I didn’t rankle anyone with the last minute withdrawal of Rory Laird. ? 

For those playing along at home, @Mazer Rackhamhas solved this puzzle. So he’s the out n out winner. But he doesn’t get a ? coz remember, everyone gets a participation certificate because 2021. ?

11 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

For those playing along at home, @Mazer Rackhamhas solved this puzzle. So he’s the out n out winner. But he doesn’t get a ? coz remember, everyone gets a participation certificate because 2021. ?

I WANT MY PARTICIPATION CERTIFICATE IN DEMON COLORS?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Maybe the answer all along was that there is no answer ... now enjoy tonight's game while thinking about that ... if you can ...

Well Mazer, I'll think on that, if you think on this:

Here is a team of past Melbourne players. This team is a little old fashioned as it only has 2 interchange players, and there are some names from very long ago. I spent (wasted) a whole afternoon trying to put this together, so i will be dejected if someone gets this "discombobulation" too quickly.  

B.    Billy Deans                 Tassie Johnson                  John Beckwith

HB. Frank Davis                 Joe Pearce                          Tony Sullivan

C. Robert Flower              George Bickford                  Stan Alves

HF. Andrew Obst             Earl Spalding                       Scott Thompson

F. John Lord                        Fred Fanning                      Bob Johnson

R. Jim Stynes                      Paul Wheatley                   Hassa Mann

INT. Arthur Sowden        Bill Allen

Not one but two things link this team – one football related and one not.

What are these 2 links?

35 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

Well Mazer, I'll think on that, if you think on this:

Here is a team of past Melbourne players. This team is a little old fashioned as it only has 2 interchange players, and there are some names from very long ago. I spent (wasted) a whole afternoon trying to put this together, so i will be dejected if someone gets this "discombobulation" too quickly.  

B.    Billy Deans                 Tassie Johnson                  John Beckwith

HB. Frank Davis                 Joe Pearce                          Tony Sullivan

C. Robert Flower              George Bickford                  Stan Alves

HF. Andrew Obst             Earl Spalding                       Scott Thompson

F. John Lord                        Fred Fanning                      Bob Johnson

R. Jim Stynes                      Paul Wheatley                   Hassa Mann

INT. Arthur Sowden        Bill Allen

Not one but two things link this team – one football related and one not.

What are these 2 links?

All played Cricket and some at District/ Sub district level

Edited by picket fence

You go off line for a few hours and look what happens!

Yours will have to wait, Neil; I'm not going to let go of WCW's. Dammit, not only do I love cryptic crosswords, I compile them! And you can see I'm a logophile, given the painful verbiage in my posts. BUT IT'S NOT HELPING!!! Nor are any of the other clues (including your contributions, Mazer, though congratulations for participating better than anyone else!) NEXT CLUES, PLEASE!

Football: Will this rain affect tonight's result?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

You go off line for a few hours and look what happens!

Yours will have to wait, Neil; I'm not going to let go of WCW's. Dammit, not only do I love cryptic crosswords, I compile them! And you can see I'm a logophile, given the painful verbiage in my posts. BUT IT'S NOT HELPING!!! Nor are any of the other clues (including your contributions, Mazer, though congratulations for participating better than anyone else!) NEXT CLUES, PLEASE!

Football: Will this rain affect tonight's result?

Did you read the clues? This one should’ve done it…

While they are all footballers, they don’t necessarily have to be. They would still share the same link. They could be ordinary, everyday people, a mixture of things, in fact. 

20 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Did you read the clues? This one should’ve done it…

While they are all footballers, they don’t necessarily have to be. They would still share the same link. They could be ordinary, everyday people, a mixture of things, in fact. 

Well, that’s rather forthright if you.

anyways, the answer will be anticlimactic now.