Lynden Dunn v Oscar McD - Interesting

2 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Unfortunately for Dunny that torp may have been the final straw, as he did not play for us again despite some good form in the VFL. 

Other players make blunders, such as Bernie's kick out last week. But with Roos' defensive push on restricting oppo scoring, a low % torp after a behind flies in the face of what was being instilled in them at the time.

There's a difference between a blunder and a player deliberately defying the game plan and set ups, resulting in a turn around goal. 

All players practice tops at training. It's a child-like urge to kick the leather off the ball and watch it spiral. There is a reason it's almost never done in a senior game.

Look at the context of this one example rather than using all player blunders as a way of defending Dunny's mistake

Team or individual blunder....the principal still stands in good stead Moon. We will beg to differ on that one IF that was the final straw, and IF that saw him play out the rest of his career in the magoos. Only Roos and/or maybe Dunny himself could answer that one honestly.

Just now, Rusty Nails said:

Team or individual blunder....the principal still stands in good stead Moon. We will beg to differ on that one IF that was the final straw, and IF that saw him play out the rest of his career in the magoos. Only Roos and/or maybe Dunny himself could answer that one honestly.

Maybe, I doubt Roos or Dunny would or should raise it out of respect for each other. 

However, it remains that he didn't play again despite some good form in the VFL.

Just out of curiosity and not trying to link the two, but did Fitzy play seniors for us again after 'tunnelball'? 

9 hours ago, Redleg said:

Alex Silvagni starred for Blues in his first game for them. Don't think Dockers are slashing their wrists yet. 

Yet? They started about round 8 last year.

18 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Maybe, I doubt Roos or Dunny would or should raise it out of respect for each other. 

However, it remains that he didn't play again despite some good form in the VFL.

Just out of curiosity and not trying to link the two, but did Fitzy play seniors for us again after 'tunnelball'? 

Without checking the archives I don't think so Moon

In the end, it's not about having a formal panel, it's about whether the senior coach and the coaching and list management group have a fair measure humility, mutual respect and the bait of listening to eachother's opinions.

For what it's worth, Moving Lyden Dunn on was a right call in my opinion. I don't think he can sustain a key defender position, I don't particularly like him as a rebounder or even handling kick-ins, and I think he's not wise enough to play as a mobile or intercepting defender.

If Oscar makes it as a key defender, then hurrah. If he doesn't, that still doesn't mean letting Dunn go was a mistake.

And all the best to Dunny, may he happily continue with a creditable AFL career. Despite the limitations I mentioned above, he's no spud.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

12 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Without checking the archives I don't think so Moon

Nope. He didn't play again after that. I was at that game, but missed it "live" and then never saw the replay of the actual tunnelball. Wasn't going to go back and check the replay either. I gather it was a massive crumble though.

Tunnel-ball Fitzy and Aimless-chip Morton (v Collingwood) were two pretty clear on-field visual representations of off-field paper-stamping (backed up by their career-trajectory at the Demons post-incident). Torpedo Dunn, although the evidence fits, I'm not so sure. But rewind to the North match (his first for the season), where he held the ball up in defence at a crucial point in the game, and I think that may have been the moment he was effectively delisted. It was Wagner's debut, a week before the introduction of Hunt, and Omac wasn't quite yet ready - so I suspect Lynden just got a stay of execution for a few weeks until we felt confident to roll the dice without him.

Dunn vs Omac. Easy. One is getting old and seemed to be finding it hard to stick to team rules, although is fairly good as a lock down defender. The other is young, is average as a lock down defender but is getting better and has potential. 

If your argument is essentially that we should have kept Dunn at the cost of Omac then there is no way I could agree. If your argument is simply that we should have kept Dunn then firstly I would agree there is a good argument to that, and secondly would ask why is Omac mentioned in the title. Surely the better comparison would be Garland or Dunn.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chris said:

Dunn vs Omac. Easy. One is getting old and seemed to be finding it hard to stick to team rules, although is fairly good as a lock down defender. The other is young, is average as a lock down defender but is getting better and has potential. 

If your argument is essentially that we should have kept Dunn at the cost of Omac then there is no way I could agree. If your argument is simply that we should have kept Dunn then firstly I would agree there is a good argument to that, and secondly would ask why is Omac mentioned in the title. Surely the better comparison would be Garland or Dunn.

Good balanced assessment, Chris 

The question, one that can never be answered of course, especially given CG's season ending injury, is would we have been better off cutting Garland and keeping Dunn?

Oscar is a generationally seperate consideration