Rohan Connolly shames pathetic Dee's and Tiges

John Crow Batty

24 minutes ago, AngryAtCasey said:

It was certainly on display when Hawthorn were threatening to run over the top of us in Round20...

Oh wait a minute :huh:

So why the problem v Geelong.  Wasnt the youngsters that faded and gave up it was the senior group

1 minute ago, jackaub said:

So why the problem v Geelong.  Wasnt the youngsters that faded and gave up it was the senior group

Cooked, mentally and physically after carrying such a load.  Our leaders consist of one 200+ gamer & one 150+ gamer.  A player who brought up his 100th this season and two others who only just brought up their 50th.  The rest of our leaders are either injured, returning from injury or not good enough.  That includes the likes of Lumumba, Dawes, Trengove, Grimes, Dunn, Garland.  To much has been asked of too few of our leaders this season for to long.

I'm not happy about it.  It was a pathetic, insipid performance.  But there are reasons for it.  Saturday was the perfect storm.  Long season coming to an end, players would have been down after their season effectively ending the week before.  And playing against a top 2 team at home chasing percentage for their positioning in the 8.

It is what it is.  But for me this was a game to forget about and move on rather then see it as a sign of things to come.

5 minutes ago, AngryAtCasey said:

Cooked, mentally and physically after carrying such a load.  Our leaders consist of one 200+ gamer & one 150+ gamer.  A player who brought up his 100th this season and two others who only just brought up their 50th.  The rest of our leaders are either injured, returning from injury or not good enough.  That includes the likes of Lumumba, Dawes, Trengove, Grimes, Dunn, Garland.  To much has been asked of too few of our leaders this season for to long.

I'm not happy about it.  It was a pathetic, insipid performance.  But there are reasons for it.  Saturday was the perfect storm.  Long season coming to an end, players would have been down after their season effectively ending the week before.  And playing against a top 2 team at home chasing percentage for their positioning in the 8.

It is what it is.  But for me this was a game to forget about and move on rather then see it as a sign of things to come.

Didn't stop Essendrug having a crack in the last round. 

See Essendrug refuse to lie down. Next year they will immediately start the campaign to rise (right or wrong)

The MFC hasn't had that steel mindset since RDB left. Can we get it back?

The Club & Supporters must never accept 100 point losses. Yes they happen. But for us they are part of our culture. (I remember 1979 at Waverley)

8 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Didn't stop Essendrug having a crack in the last round. 

See Essendrug refuse to lie down. Next year they will immediately start the campaign to rise (right or wrong)

The MFC hasn't had that steel mindset since RDB left. Can we get it back?

The Club & Supporters must never accept 100 point losses. Yes they happen. But for us they are part of our culture. (I remember 1979 at Waverley)

This was covered earlier in the thread.

See post 45.

14 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:
2 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

But do you agree or are you one to search an excuse in order to fend off the embarassment?

I agree that the loss was pathetic and not good enough.  

I don't agree that it's because the players are mentally weak.  I think for such a young team we've shown that we aren't this year by being in every game bar this final match.  This young group is different to the past.

1 hour ago, AngryAtCasey said:

"It is what it is." That's what Neeld said every week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AngryAtCasey said:

Sorry about the way the response came out there.  Computer playing up.

But you don't take into account Round 22 when there was a lot to play for, whereas Carlton were marking time. 

There is Mental Fragility still within the whole club as soon as we are under a spotlight. 

And now that Roosy has left after 3 years i still have concerns, but i wait and observe. 

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 10:48 AM, Vogon Poetry said:

Not in my view.  Typical example of Monday 48 hour syndrome.  If MFC supporters are so stupid as to let one very poor performance colour their view of the future I wish them a long and miserable summer.

Anyone with half a brain could see we were cooked for the last two games and were probably cooked from the midway through the 2nd quarter against Port.  Young team, huge efforts against West Coast, Suns, Hawks and another away trip to PA and they were clearly exhausted. Couldn't run.

It's pretty easy sitting in our chairs to be critical of effort but I doubt any of us have any idea of the mental and physical toll 6 months or so of competitive AFL footy has on the body - unless of course you've done it.

Roos has said time and time again how young we are.  Does anyone really think that playing older teams with games and preseasons under their belt isn't a significant disadvantage?  Give me a break.

Can I say, excellent post,  what happened last couple of weeks certainly showed how much Roos understands his team    he does not look at things through a  view tainted by alcohol or optimism (as we supporters do)  rather a colder more realistic view....still think he could have coached better on a couple of game days  but ......he certainly knows whats needed to be in place to have a successful club  and I think that's around the corner with more hard work and toil,   Go Dees

55 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

But you don't take into account Round 22 when there was a lot to play for, whereas Carlton were marking time. 

There is Mental Fragility still within the whole club as soon as we are under a spotlight. 

And now that Roosy has left after 3 years i still have concerns, but i wait and observe. 

No i do. That's why i mentioned earlier that it was clear we were cooked these last two weeks. Round 22 we played a shocker, but still managed to hang within 20 points. If anything that is part of the building mental strength of this team to hang in there. The Melbourne of only 2013 would have lost by 10 goals.

Round 23 the walls fell in and they lost the ability to hang tough. Part of being a young inexperienced team.

The two other teams with similar list demographics this year were Brisbane & Gold Coast. Ask their supporters about inconsistency and how often their teams hung tough this year.

My goal at the start of the year was at least 9 wins and no more 10 goal + losses. We managed 10 wins and were one week off avoiding any 10 goal losses.

My expectations for next year will increase, as should all supporters and everyone involved in the club.

6 minutes ago, AngryAtCasey said:

No i do. That's why i mentioned earlier that it was clear we were cooked these last two weeks. Round 22 we played a shocker, but still managed to hang within 20 points. If anything that is part of the building mental strength of this team to hang in there. The Melbourne of only 2013 would have lost by 10 goals.

Round 23 the walls fell in and they lost the ability to hang tough. Part of being a young inexperienced team.

The two other teams with similar list demographics this year were Brisbane & Gold Coast. Ask their supporters about inconsistency and how often their teams hung tough this year.

My goal at the start of the year was at least 9 wins and no more 10 goal + losses. We managed 10 wins and were one week off avoiding any 10 goal losses.

My expectations for next year will increase, as should all supporters and everyone involved in the club.

As will the supporters of a few other clubs and the expectation of those teams.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iv'a worn smith said:

As will the supporters of a few other clubs and the expectation of those teams.  

And that's different to the last three off seasons how?

18 minutes ago, AngryAtCasey said:

Fair enough. I can see your point, we differ slightly but that's ok

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

So say you were a Bulldogs supporter and they go out in the first final, which means they haven't seen a flag for 62 years, how would you feel then, satisfied with the season?

Considering the injury count they have had i would be fairly satisfied

The certainly didn't raise a white flag

3 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Considering the injury count they have had i would be fairly satisfied

The certainly didn't raise a white flag

But they haven't won a flag, that seems to be your raison d'etre for supporting, so they have let you down again

Edited by Satyriconhome

24 minutes ago, AngryAtCasey said:

And that's different to the last three off seasons how?

That's just my point.  While we all have expectations for the following year, after a reasonable 2016, the task gets incrementally more difficult with other clubs aspiring for the same thing in 2017.  If we aspire to play finals football in 2017, based on a substantive improvement this year, how many currently in the 8 do you predict will fall out next year.  There are number of sides that will be competing for limited places.  As I said in a previous post, given we have limited draft leverage this year, it will be crucial for us to be canny at the trade table, if we want to stay in the game in 2017.

1 minute ago, Satyriconhome said:

But they haven't won a flag, that seems to be your raison d'etre for supportiing, so they have let you down again

Of course Winning The Flag is the prize. Always room to get better. 

I know for you The Club is your social outing...

1 minute ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Of course Winning The Flag is the prize. Always room to get better. 

I know for you The Club is your social outing...

But you are consistently berating the club for not achieving success, particularly since 1964 and yet the Bulldogs have the potential in a couple of weeks to not have achieved it for ten years longer, yet you said you would be satisfied, don't quite follow the logic

1 minute ago, iv'a worn smith said:

That's just my point.  While we all have expectations for the following year, after a reasonable 2016, the task gets incrementally more difficult with other clubs aspiring for the same thing in 2017.  If we aspire to play finals football in 2017, based on a substantive improvement this year, how many currently in the 8 do you predict will fall out next year.  There are number of sides that will be competing for limited places.  As I said in a previous post, given we have limited draft leverage this year, it will be crucial for us to be canny at the trade table, if we want to stay in the game in 2017.

You make a good point IWS, canny trading/recruiting will be very important to our ability to make the jump into the 8. But after the effort of our team over the last 2 trade & draft periods, I'm confident they can make something happen.

As for the question of exactly who falls out of the 8? Well i think we all agree North will. I'm also not convinced about West Coast, despite their recent strong form. Hawthorn will slide a bit, question of how much? And personally i don't think the Bulldogs are bullett proof if their game plan can be picked apart like what happened to Port.

So i think there's 4 sides in the 8 that are vulnerable. How many slide i don't know? But i think we're pretty well placed to be one of the beneficiaries and would be pretty annoyed if we weren't one.

2 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

But you are consistently berating the club for not achieving success, particularly since 1964 and yet the Bulldogs have the potential in a couple of weeks to not have achieved it for ten years longer, yet you said you would be satisfied, don't quite follow the logic

I told you They have had incredible injuries and still kept fighting. That deserves some admiration

1 minute ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I told you They have had incredible injuries and still kept fighting. That deserves some admiration

But you have consistently said, and berated me for not agreeing with you, that the Flag is all that matters, so therefore if they don't get a flag this year, and the same goes for the other 7 in the finals that don't, they have achieved exactly what MFC has done this year, so no room for admiration

Just now, Satyriconhome said:

But you have consistently said, and berated me for not agreeing with you, that the Flag is all that matters, so therefore if they don't get a flag this year, and the same goes for the other 7 in the finals that don't, they have achieved exactly what MFC has done this year, so no room for admiration

No. 8 Teams make finals & 10 Teams can f off. 

The Flag is it & 8 teams play off for it

Don't put words in my mouth