OUT: Abbott IN: Turnbull

Soidee

I see your from Fitzroy, that used to be my old stomping ground, long before the place was gentrified and the left wing, well to do greenies moved in and completely changed the character of the place.

Gee Robbie you jumped from one extreme to the other, Fitzroy to Brighton back then was big move. These days I know there are a lot of trendies, greenies and hipsters in Fitzroy and there are a lot of high income neo bogans hiding out in mansions in Brighton. Most of the Footy Show lives there and till recently Warney and you could add Grant Thomas, Rod Butters, the list goes on. We could have a discussion about the relative calibre of people in both districts. But at least you know they are all pure Liberal over that side of the river. By the way I have been a Fitzroy resident for 25 years now and yes it was a more interesting place in the those days, if sometimes challenging when you had a drunk accosting you while you are trying to have a coffee at Marios.

Gee Robbie you jumped from one extreme to the other, Fitzroy to Brighton back then was big move. These days I know there are a lot of trendies, greenies and hipsters in Fitzroy and there are a lot of high income neo bogans hiding out in mansions in Brighton. Most of the Footy Show lives there and till recently Warney and you could add Grant Thomas, Rod Butters, the list goes on. We could have a discussion about the relative calibre of people in both districts. But at least you know they are all pure Liberal over that side of the river. By the way I have been a Fitzroy resident for 25 years now and yes it was a more interesting place in the those days, if sometimes challenging when you had a drunk accosting you while you are trying to have a coffee at Marios.

Classic.

Fitzroy isn't tough enough for Robbie now but the mean streets of Brighton are where it's at.

Fitzroy has been a "hipster" suburb for decades... sure they weren't the wealthy trendies that you get now, but they were the beginning of that particular group. That whole Fitzroy/Carlton boundary was a very trendy inner city haunt from the late 60's, with places like Johnny's Green Room, The TF Much Ballroom (later to become the Much More Ballroom, La Mama Theatre, Brunswick Street was always a poor man's Lygon Street. I lived over in Hawthorn East at that time (just off Burke Road) and people on my side of town considered Carlton and Fitzroy too trendy to ever think of living in (and Collingwood too scary) :-)

Edited by hardtack

WOW Victoria is an interesting place

Let me see if I have this right, people can onlly live in areas in Victoria based on you political beliefs.

Call me old fashioned as I do live in country WA. But over here we don't care what your politics is and you are allowed to live anywhere you like.

My neighbours could be greenie communists or right wing RobbieF people as far as I know or care. Only thing I do care about is they don't preach their politics or religion to me.

I haven't lived in Brighton forever I grew up in Northcote; Fitzroy was as rough as back then, but they had some great pubs and sly grogs; you probably wouldn't know what one of those was but trust me they came in handy on a Sunday.

The area was working class and most of my mates lived in or still live in the North, but now it's full of trendy greenies who live in the terrace hoses once occupied by workers and in some cases women of the night. You could get a beer or a fight or just about anything you wanted back then. I doubt you'd get assaulted there now unless it was by a greenie for not driving a Prius.

Brighton has its fair share of morons and unfortunately more than it's fair share of pretentious jerks but I doubt that they would outnumber the ones that now live in Fitzroy. I moved away from the area 40 years ago and I've lived in quite a few places since then, some good, some bad, but my fondest memories are from when I was there, my Mother died 5 years ago and I had to sell the family home which we had occupied since 1950 when we moved across from WA.

Being a Northcote boy I was staunch Labor back then, but I grew up.

Fitzroy has been a "hipster" suburb for decades... sure they weren't the wealthy trendies that you get now, but they were the beginning of that particular group. That whole Fitzroy/Carlton boundary was a very trendy inner city haunt from the late 60's, with places like Johnny's Green Room, The TF Much Ballroom (later to become the Much More Ballroom, La Mama Theatre, Brunswick Street was always a poor man's Lygon Street. I lived over in Hawthorn East at that time (just off Burke Road) and people on my side of town considered Carlton and Fitzroy too trendy to ever think of living in (and Collingwood too scary) :-)

Collingwood to scary I doubt it; I'd much rather have walked past the Colingwood commission flats at night that the ones in Fitzroy.

Rob Roy Hotel, Champion Hotel now they were scary, a friend of mine got king hit outside the Champion one night, went in to a diabetic coma and subsequently died. I got Married one day and went to his funeral the following day.

Carlton was gentrified before Fitzroy and there were several spots in Fitzroy where you had to think twice before going there. But there were some great pubs Like the Newry and great company in those days.

Richmond, now there was another World, very scary.

WOW Victoria is an interesting place

Let me see if I have this right, people can onlly live in areas in Victoria based on you political beliefs.

Call me old fashioned as I do live in country WA. But over here we don't care what your politics is and you are allowed to live anywhere you like.

My neighbours could be greenie communists or right wing RobbieF people as far as I know or care. Only thing I do care about is they don't preach their politics or religion to me.

TBF it is not that clear cut these days because people move around, but you could still make a general division based on whether you live north or south of the Yarra in Melbourne. Some things die slowly. Robbie moved to Brighton for whatever reason, who knows, maybe he had a gutfull of the lefty protesters who used to hang out in Fitzroy's pubs after a hard days work in my time spent in Richmond, trying to save Richmond High, a local community school, now a public but elite school for girls as likely to come from Brighton as Richmond.

Collingwood to scary I doubt it; I'd much rather have walked past the Colingwood commission flats at night that the ones in Fitzroy.

Rob Roy Hotel, Champion Hotel now they were scary, a friend of mine got king hit outside the Champion one night, went in to a diabetic coma and subsequently died. I got Married one day and went to his funeral the following day.

Carlton was gentrified before Fitzroy and there were several spots in Fitzroy where you had to think twice before going there. But there were some great pubs Like the Newry and great company in those days.

Richmond, now there was another World, very scary.

I grew up in the eastern suburbs, Box Hill actually. No pubs so we had to travel. The Fitzroy pubs were a no go for us when I played footy by order of the coach as I remember. We went east to such upstanding establishments such as the Burvale, the Blackburn, the Whitehorse and the Manhatten. Watered down beer and brawlers in the car park as I remember it. 0.05 when did that start? Somehow me and all of my footy team mates over 15 years managed to survive those days. Not just drink driving but also the punch ups between the Boxhill and Blackburn guys. Totally mindless stuff but I don't remember any ambulances being required. We were not as vicious back then as they can be today. Maybe we were jut wimps.

TBF it is not that clear cut these days because people move around, but you could still make a general division based on whether you live north or south of the Yarra in Melbourne. Some things die slowly. Robbie moved to Brighton for whatever reason, who knows, maybe he had a gutfull of the lefty protesters who used to hang out in Fitzroy's pubs after a hard days work in my time spent in Richmond, trying to save Richmond High, a local community school, now a public but elite school for girls as likely to come from Brighton as Richmond.

Excluding just staying in th Melbourne airport, I been to Victoria once.

When to watch a MFC game as I wanted to see a game with even number of fans.

It had to watch a live game in the west.

Bring back the early 80's in the WAFL!

I grew up in the eastern suburbs, Box Hill actually. No pubs so we had to travel. The Fitzroy pubs were a no go for us when I played footy by order of the coach as I remember. We went east to such upstanding establishments such as the Burvale, the Blackburn, the Whitehorse and the Manhatten. Watered down beer and brawlers in the car park as I remember it. 0.05 when did that start? Somehow me and all of my footy team mates over 15 years managed to survive those days. Not just drink driving but also the punch ups between the Boxhill and Blackburn guys. Totally mindless stuff but I don't remember any ambulances being required. We were not as vicious back then as they can be today. Maybe we were jut wimps.

I drank at the Croxton Park Hotel another of the pubs that started out small and turned in to a beer barn; we were welcome to drink and spend our money there but as the pub got bigger and they wanted to attract more females they made it harder for us to stay. Life was different then, 6.00pm closing beers lined up and sculled before 6.15 then we'd head off to the Preston Town hall for the dance there or Fitzroy to get some booze on the side. Then 10 o'clock closing and we just stayed at the pub; fights were either in the public bar or outside.

I remember when I was playing under 16 the coach took us to the Crock and bought us a beer each in the stable bar; he'd be locked up for doing it now.

Excluding just staying in th Melbourne airport, I been to Victoria once.

When to watch a MFC game as I wanted to see a game with even number of fans.

It had to watch a live game in the west.

Bring back the early 80's in the WAFL!

When Earl Spalding, Warren Dean and even a young Alan Jackovich were running around the WaFL. Not bad talent!

I drank at the Croxton Park Hotel another of the pubs that started out small and turned in to a beer barn; we were welcome to drink and spend our money there but as the pub got bigger and they wanted to attract more females they made it harder for us to stay. Life was different then, 6.00pm closing beers lined up and sculled before 6.15 then we'd head off to the Preston Town hall for the dance there or Fitzroy to get some booze on the side. Then 10 o'clock closing and we just stayed at the pub; fights were either in the public bar or outside.

I remember when I was playing under 16 the coach took us to the Crock and bought us a beer each in the stable bar; he'd be locked up for doing it now.

I only ventured into Richmond in those early days on a Sunday morning in summer. You could always pick up a dozen bottles of Abbotts Or Carlton from the back street behind the The Royal Eagle pub. Load up, pay in cash and head down to Kerford Road beach. I lived in Port Melbourne at the time, not sure why I was going to the Royal Eagle in Richmond when there would have been ample out of hours supplies in the pubs around Port. But the Pubs in Port were very clickey as I remember in the early 80's. they had their regulars and anybody else was a potential police informer.

When Earl Spalding, Warren Dean and even a young Alan Jackovich were running around the WaFL. Not bad talent!

Those guys were just not that good as they played from the wrong Clubs!

Now a John & Billy Duckworth, Cory & Darren Buwick, Justine & Troy Longmuir, Stanley 'Pops' Heal (1941 MFC & WPFC Premiership Player), Craig Turley, Tod Curley to name a few.

Guys that did not play VFL but where champions and had the ability to play in any league Mel Whinnen Brian Foley Ted Tyson Alan Watling Bill Dempsey Les Fong

You could get a beer or a fight or just about anything you wanted back then. I doubt you'd get assaulted there now unless it was by a greenie for not driving a Prius.

Yes, let us all pine for the days when it was easier to get into a fight in Fitzroy.

Strange thing to be nostalgic for - hookers and fights?

What a horrible place it must now be. Definitely gone downhill if there's no fights or hookers readily available right?

Yes, let us all pine for the days when it was easier to get into a fight in Fitzroy.

What a horrible place it must now be. Definitely gone downhill if there's no fights or hookers readily available right?

are you thinking robbie may have been squizzy taylors getaway driver?

Think I'd prefer some of them to the pretentious pricks that occupy the place now.

It wasn't all fights there, but you had to pick where you went and what time of day you went there. It was a working class suburb as was Northcote, Preston, Carlton etc. etc. What would you call it now? Full of greenies that have never seen a tree.

The people have moved out and the Gentry have moved in.

The area was working class and most of my mates lived in or still live in the North.but now it's full of trendy greenies who live in the terrace hoses

My ex mother in law came from a displacement camp in Europe post World War 2 and initially lived in a 3 tiered terrace slum in Carlton. She passed away two years ago and I think I caused it by showing her the going price of one of the terrace " slums" in Carlton today.

Edited by nutbean

My ex mother in law came from a displacement camp in Europe post World War 2 and initially lived in a 3 tiered terrace slum in Carlton. She passed away two years ago and I think I caused it by showing her the going price of one of the terrace " slums" in Carlton today.

The old workers cottages are certainly worth more now than they were back then, my father paid 1,500pounds for our house in Northcote and it was sold for $360k.

I have a number of clients who arrived in Australia from Europe after the War and went in to Clothing manufacturing ; Fitzroy was full of knitting mills as was Collingwood.

Most of them are gone now and the old factories are now apartments.

Surely nothing good comes from Carlton