Queensland Games 2013

Demondeb

The draw is out and it is discovered that we play Brissie at Gabba on April 28 which is a day game and then on August 10th we have Gold Coast at Metricon at night... Sat night I believe.

I now have to start planning and woudl like some help..

If you were coming up, or if you are thinking of actually being up here for one or both games, which of the following would you prefer in way of a funcion with coaches etc..?

Note: no longer do we have after match functions attended by players... this is the Neeld way and we have to suck it up unfortunately.

Option 1 - Gabba Day Game (April Sunday 3.15 pm game )- Breakfast in city hotel and then transfer to the Gabba to watch the game - or the Pineapple for a pre-game drink ..

Option 2 - Metricon Stadium, GC ( August 10th Sat night Game) - Early dinner function and then walk across to the ground for the game.

For those that came to the function at the Gold Coast for NAB cup function last season, it was a great function and everyone enjoyed themselves. it was a good set up and the golf club treated us well. Plus no need for buses etc to transfer - simple walk across the road.

So basically which one would you prefer if you were to come or hypothetically if you cant make it ... just so I can say tot he club we would like this as our official function... naturallly we want as many visitors as we can get.

The draw is out and it is discovered that we play Brissie at Gabba on April 28 which is a day game and then on August 10th we have Gold Coast at Metricon at night... Sat night I believe.

I now have to start planning and woudl like some help..

If you were coming up, or if you are thinking of actually being up here for one or both games, which of the following would you prefer in way of a funcion with coaches etc..?

Note: no longer do we have after match functions attended by players... this is the Neeld way and we have to suck it up unfortunately.

Option 1 - Gabba Day Game (April Sunday 3.15 pm game )- Breakfast in city hotel and then transfer to the Gabba to watch the game - or the Pineapple for a pre-game drink ..

Option 2 - Metricon Stadium, GC ( August 10th Sat night Game) - Early dinner function and then walk across to the ground for the game.

For those that came to the function at the Gold Coast for NAB cup function last season, it was a great function and everyone enjoyed themselves. it was a good set up and the golf club treated us well. Plus no need for buses etc to transfer - simple walk across the road.

So basically which one would you prefer if you were to come or hypothetically if you cant make it ... just so I can say tot he club we would like this as our official function... naturallly we want as many visitors as we can get.

Hey, Deb. Option #2 for me.

This year I joined a mate for a meal at the golf club prior to the Suns - Carlton game. Parked the car at the club. Worked great. (The Suns sticking it up Carlton that night was an added bonus! LOL)

Yes this is my preference as we have Gabba functions every year - time for the GC to get a go..

Might mean a few less come from further north but its only a further hour down the highway.. whats an hour eh? Tourist mecca.. heaps to do down here after the game for those staying...

Did you see the post re the Queensland Demons Xmas Lunch? Hope we can lure you along to that too...

Youve got to remember Deb that not all the Dees supporters in QLD live on the Gold Coast - in fact, the majority live in Brisbane, most even the Northside of the city. Only having one function on the Gold Coast would be extremely unfair I would have thought. Im not saying that because I live in Brisbane, because I'd go anywhere - just a little hard for the majority of some people, considering the fact there is no parking at Metricon and very little public transport to and from the ground.

Brisbane game for me.

Yes this is my preference as we have Gabba functions every year - time for the GC to get a go..

Might mean a few less come from further north but its only a further hour down the highway.. whats an hour eh? Tourist mecca.. heaps to do down here after the game for those staying...

Id say a lot less....

Yes I know this and I would have a function at both if I could but I dont think the club will do both.. we can still do one and i m sure we would get help but not sore we can rely on any club officials attending the "non offical" one..

Yes I know this and I would have a function at both if I could but I dont think the club will do both.. we can still do one and i m sure we would get help but not sore we can rely on any club officials attending the "non offical" one..

Yeah, I understand that, which is why I think Brisbane would be more appropriate.

For those of us who have to travel to the south-east corner to make the game, public transport to the GC is deplorable.

Brisbane for me.

I don't really understand the complaints from the Brisbanites about Public Transport to Metricon. Train & Bus connections right to the door -- just like for when us Gold Coasters make the trek to the Gabba. Really not hard! Alternatively, drive to the pre-game function at the Golf Club across the road, and park in their carpark.

I've lost count of the number of times I've made the trek up to the Gabba in past years. Any keen followers of the Dees up Brisbane way would not find it too much of a problem to come down to Metricon to see their beloved Dees strut their stuff.

And, yes, in answer to the other enquirer, Metricon is a first class AFL facility.

So, Y'all come! (And kwityabitchin'...)

And, thanks, Deb, for going to the effort. It IS appreciated! (Not sure about the xmas lunch. Would like to. Will try to work it out...)

• Like 1

Hey Mae,

You should come- have had a contact from the club and mid month they meet to finalise travel for the year. After that she will mail me re functions. I think they would prefer the Gabba one but we may have to figure a better one re Transport to Gabba. Bus too costly and we lost $$$ on it but problem is we Might lose people if we don't figure a way. That's why GC one is better as you can just walk across to the game from the venue. We could have the unofficial one at the pineapple and then walk down to the ground.

I don't really understand the complaints from the Brisbanites about Public Transport to Metricon. Train & Bus connections right to the door -- just like for when us Gold Coasters make the trek to the Gabba. Really not hard! Alternatively, drive to the pre-game function at the Golf Club across the road, and park in their carpark.

I've lost count of the number of times I've made the trek up to the Gabba in past years. Any keen followers of the Dees up Brisbane way would not find it too much of a problem to come down to Metricon to see their beloved Dees strut their stuff.

And, yes, in answer to the other enquirer, Metricon is a first class AFL facility.

So, Y'all come! (And kwityabitchin'...)

And, thanks, Deb, for going to the effort. It IS appreciated! (Not sure about the xmas lunch. Would like to. Will try to work it out...)

No, firstly, it is no where near the same with public transport to the Gabba as it is to Metricon. The Wooloongabba bus station is at the front door to the Gabba. To get anywhere near Metricon, as you would be well aware, you need to jump on a bus connection from a nearby train station with everyone else going to the game which isn't the most enjoyable or comfortable. Especially if you are supporting the away team. Imagine what it is then like on the way home.

The carpark at the golf club you speak of is also not exactly equiped for 20,000 cars, in fact, it probably fits around 75-100.

Like I mentioned in my earlier post and probably something you glazed over......I'd go and watch Melbourne play on the moon if they were playing there - that isn't an issue. I think we were asked what our preference was and mine was Brisbane for which I gave reasons why.

I also appreciate your efforts Deb, as I do every year. You do a wonderful job without any fuss!

No, firstly, it is no where near the same with public transport to the Gabba as it is to Metricon. The Wooloongabba bus station is at the front door to the Gabba. To get anywhere near Metricon, as you would be well aware, you need to jump on a bus connection from a nearby train station with everyone else going to the game which isn't the most enjoyable or comfortable. Especially if you are supporting the away team. Imagine what it is then like on the way home.

The carpark at the golf club you speak of is also not exactly equiped for 20,000 cars, in fact, it probably fits around 75-100.

Mate! You have lost me with your logic on this one! What's the difference between me jumping a train from the Coast to South Bne, and transferring to a bus to the Gabba, and you jumping on a train in Bne to the Coast and transferring to a bus to Metricon? Exactly the same, my friend! I've made the journey to and from the Gabba on many an occasion, squeezed into buses packed chock full of rabid Lion supporters!! Really not hard, but especially pleasant on those occasions when we won!

And, re your comment "The carpark at the golf club you speak of is also not exactly equiped for 20,000 cars, in fact, it probably fits around 75-100", fact is, if you book a meal there pre-game, you can reserve a space for your car in that very exclusive (and conveniently SMALL) car park. Makes life REAL easy!

Anyway, I really don't want to make a big deal about this, other than to correct the somewhat mis-leading impression about how hard it supposedly is to get to Metricon.