but not if one is black, honky

Is Purple the new Black ??

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to those that quoted me above...

- The player HAS to nominate to be eligible to be taken with those picks. O'Meara, by all reports, wants to stay in WA. He will only be available if a WA club gets one of those picks.

- GWS are struggling far more than Gold Coast to attract talent. Yes, while they have two bites at the cherry, they also have the problem of trying to win a game. You can't win games with 18 kids, Callum Ward, Taylor Walker, Israel Folau and (possibly) Tom Scully. GC needed all of their older brigade, plus the kids, to fire to get them over the line in both games. They struggle with four-quarter consistency with AFL experience. Unless they get a significant few in, I doubt they will have the goods, hence them using those picks to try and grab more established AFL players.

- While I know they're not great, Bate and Dunn both do have the bigger bodies needed. Bate is far more likely, and I'll use the Brad Miller example - they'll use him to take the heat off Patton and the kiddie forward line. Won't work 100%, but it's better than nothing. Dunn could be similar.

As for 16 other teams, let's look.

- Hawthorn, Carlton, Collingwood, Geelong still in a flag window and won't go there as it risks them losing a couple of big guns.

- Freo, Sydney trying to bring in that window.

- Essendon, Richmond have even less currency than us.

- North are in a similar position to us but with less in the way of those fringe players.

- Adelaide and Port don't have any currency beyond draft picks.

- Bullies are probably form and a piece or two away from being back in top 4 contention in 2012.

- Gold Coast may trade kids for one? Would need to send a few though.

- West Coast could use some of the older brigade to make a deal - IMO more likely to make a move, especially for O'Meara

- Brisbane do have some currency in my opinion - send a Rockliff and their first-rounder south? Would extend their rebuild though.

- St Kilda would have to send two guns in order to - question of whether they would.

- The player HAS to nominate to be eligible to be taken with those picks. O'Meara, by all reports, wants to stay in WA. He will only be available if a WA club gets one of those picks.

- GWS are struggling far more than Gold Coast to attract talent. Yes, while they have two bites at the cherry, they also have the problem of trying to win a game. You can't win games with 18 kids, Callum Ward, Taylor Walker, Israel Folau and (possibly) Tom Scully. GC needed all of their older brigade, plus the kids, to fire to get them over the line in both games. They struggle with four-quarter consistency with AFL experience. Unless they get a significant few in, I doubt they will have the goods, hence them using those picks to try and grab more established AFL players.

- While I know they're not great, Bate and Dunn both do have the bigger bodies needed. Bate is far more likely, and I'll use the Brad Miller example - they'll use him to take the heat off Patton and the kiddie forward line. Won't work 100%, but it's better than nothing. Dunn could be similar.

- Hawthorn, Carlton, Collingwood, Geelong still in a flag window and won't go there as it risks them losing a couple of big guns.

- North are in a similar position to us but with less in the way of those fringe players.

- Bullies are probably form and a piece or two away from being back in top 4 contention in 2012.

- West Coast could use some of the older brigade to make a deal - IMO more likely to make a move, especially for O'Meara

- Brisbane do have some currency in my opinion - send a Rockliff and their first-rounder south? Would extend their rebuild though.

- St Kilda would have to send two guns in order to - question of whether they would.

You know what happens if you assume?

Actually, nothing happens to me in this instance...

It's more of an assu.

O'meara by all reports has nominated for the draft (as of this week), that is what it is, a draft so he is up for grabs he understands he can go ANYWHERE, WC and Freo supporters start these rumours about kids staying in WA every year regarding the top WA talent

He is of the ilk of Cotchin and Swallows etc - EVERYBODY will be after him

Collingwood wont risk giving up 2 guns during there window but we can offer two players who cant cut it in our team? how does that work

Everybody can give up the goods, dont be fooled

i wouldnt be surprised if north put up Hamish Macintosh

O'Meara and Whitfield will be like recruiting top 5 picks i cant wait until the guns are drawn because it will be some of the biggest trading every imo,

What you need to ask is what would you need to offer to receive a top five pick in any draft, not a Bate and Dunn combo, it will be a first rounder and quality player or two first rounders etc

Edited by Jordie_tackles

Call me crazy and I know it's against Bailey's 'youth policy' but I'd be looking to get a couple of experienced players into our list. We may not be able to trade our 'bait' for decent young talent but we have a plethora of that now. What we are missing is mature players that can hold their own and show a bit of leadership in the way they approach the game.

I don't know who these players are or where they would come from but I do know that you use trades to get what you are lacking. We are not lacking 'potential'.

I don't reckon you're crazy at all mrtwister. People movement in footy is a reality.(Bit emotional at times, but still a reality)

I think the footy club has done very well to arrange a squad of so many talented young kids, but as can be seen by all the hypothetical trade talk, maybe we won't be able to keep all of them. We don't seem to do player retention all that well.

With 9 weeks to go there is still conjecture as to who should go and in reality we probably dont need that much, but a couple of high quality rifle shot targets to top us off, seems reasonable. However our recent record of undertaking such action hasn't been great.

Guess we just have to go with what unfolds. If we have to lose a couple,seems we have a bit to go to the table with this time around.

I don't know were we can find this out but can we trade our first round pick in 2012 to GWS and throw in a player as a sweetner, for one of these 17yo picks. I posted before if we are able to do this we will basically get what should equate to 2 top ranked 17yo in the country. We will lose our first pick for Jack Viney, but if we trade our first round pick to GWS for one of these 17 yo kids we will only give up a second round pick for Viney. To me if this can happen it is a big win for our club.