NFL

Dappa Dan

Vikings got whooped. We were found out big time. Ponder had another lack lasture game but Peterson is just a beast of a man. 5-3 is still a good record but with the bears and packers looking good the playoffs are going to be hard to get to. Still a happy Viking fan though last year we finished with a 3-13 record so anything is better then that.

Vikings got whooped. We were found out big time. Ponder had another lack lasture game but Peterson is just a beast of a man. 5-3 is still a good record but with the bears and packers looking good the playoffs are going to be hard to get to. Still a happy Viking fan though last year we finished with a 3-13 record so anything is better then that.

Tampa Bay played very well - surprised me . Thought you had 'em covered .

Tomorrows games on TV ...

MON, OCT 29

4.00 AM Atlanta (6-0) at Philadelphia (3-3) Fox2

4.00 AM Seattle (4-3) at Detroit (2-4) OneHD

7.25 AM NY Giants (5-2) at Dallas (3-3) OneHD

11.20 AM New Orleans (2-4) at Denver (3-3) OneHD & ESPN

TUES, OCT 30

11.30 AM San Francisco (5-2) at Arizona (4-3) ESPN

And for the other games ... http://espn.go.com/nfl/schedule#8

It's not as prevalent as the NBA where they do so without any hesitation, but yes they do tank. Colts last year ensured they secured the number one pick by losing in the final round. A week after defeating playoff bound Houston they were pretty awful against a 4-11 Jacksonville, which mainly came down to bad play-calling.

Coming back to the NBA, its widely acknowledged teams put the cue in the rack by purposefully mismanaging their team so as they bring bad players on big contracts in order to 'stink it up'. Golden State Warriors last season practically sent out their D-League team against a depleted spurs team and Patty Mills a back up point guard scored 34 points. The difference between the NBA and the AFL is that they all admit its happening and the fans are seemingly happy to see it happen.

Staying on the thread, Rams were really dismal in London thank god we don't have to play anymore home games there. If we were in our dome to a sold out crowd I'm sure the result would have been closer. What about Alex Smith's game, 18-19 232 yards and 3 touchdowns near perfect game against a pretty solid Cards defense

• Like 1

Golden State Warriors last season practically sent out their D-League team against a depleted spurs team and Patty Mills a back up point guard scored 34 points.

Also worth noting the spurs "Big 3" were not playing that night, Duncan, Parker and Ginobili. Like any league around the world, this was a meaningless game right at the end of the long regular season. One team had their eye on the draft, the other intent on resting their ageing stars for the playoffs the next week.

An amazing game by Smith yesterday! And the only incomplete pass was a very simple drop by Walker. I watched it live, but after the first couple of drives you could tell it was going to be a one-sided game with the depleted and slumping Cards O-line helpless to prevent the Niners rushing and sacking Skelton. And how about our defense? I love reading stories about how the Bears/Ravens etc are the best defensive team in the league. Suits me fine, just keep flying under the radar, especially when teams (with the exception of the Giants, and Marshawn Lynch last week) think they will beat us by running the ball. 9 attempts for a grand total of 7 rushing yards for the whole game for Arizona yesterday!

Did anyone else see the jersey the Steelers played in at the weekend? Eek! they looked like bumblebees

Games on the box this week ...

FRI, NOV 2

11.20 AM Kansas City (1-6) at San Diego (3-4) OneHD & ESPN

MON, NOV 5

5.00 AM Arizona (4-4) at Green Bay (5-3) Fox2

5.00 AM Chicago (6-1) at Tennessee (3-5) OneHD

8.15 AM Minnesota (5-3) at Seattle (4-4) Fox2

8.25 AM Pittsburgh (4-3) at NY Giants (6-2) OneHD

12.15 PM Dallas (3-4) at Atlanta (7-0) OneHD & ESPN

TUE, NOV 6

12.30 PM Philadelphia (3-4) at New Orleans (2-5) ESPN

For all other matches ... http://espn.go.com/nfl/schedule#9

Edited by Macca

Is anyone a fan of the Thursday night games? It's such a short turn around from one week to the thursday night game and some of the games haven't been the best quality. Watched a interview with coach Frazier from the Vikings and he said they had to do a 3 day training routine and shrink it into one day. It makes the buc's win against the vikes even better considering they had to travel as well.

49ers still travelling well.

Do any of the teams in the NFL ever tank?

Yeah it most probably happens but it's difficult to pin down . The Colts could have possibly won an extra game or 2 last season but because they'd lost Peyton through injury they had an easy out . Andrew Luck was the prize on offer of course .

And yeah , those 49ers are doing well . You've got a few testing games to come (vs Chicago , @ New England and @ Seattle) but you should win your division .

Is anyone a fan of the Thursday night games? It's such a short turn around from one week to the thursday night game and some of the games haven't been the best quality. Watched a interview with coach Frazier from the Vikings and he said they had to do a 3 day training routine and shrink it into one day. It makes the buc's win against the vikes even better considering they had to travel as well.

I reckon the NFL would prefer to do Friday or Saturday games but fairly sure that College has both those days 'Protected' (though Saturday night NFL games have in the past been on in late December) I've heard a bit of talk about Tuesday night games but the Thursday night games probably gets a big TV audience so they'll stay . Money talks .

I see the Vikes are on the tele again 'cfh' . Miracles do happen ! Tough one at Seattle though - should be close .

If we win more than two games this season and fail to land an elite QB with the #1 pick, I will be furious. Roll out the tank. Just don't tell Caro.

Ha ha ! It seems that 'Tanking' is sort of accepted in the States . Obviously they've had a draft a lot longer than us but it seems they're years ahead of us with regards the public acceptance of tanking . Teams are probably way more adept at 'Disguising' the practice as well .

I've also heard that despite having a lottery system in the NBA, it doesn't stop teams from tanking . In the States it seems tanking is not viewed as 'Throwing games' . It should be viewed the same way in Oz .

Experimentation with player positions and roles , 'Resting' players , giving rookies game time experience , early surgeries etc etc has been going on in all sorts of sports way before we had such things as drafts . That practice was never called anything before the advent of 'Drafts' though do I seem to remember phrases such as "They're just playing out the season" . Now it's called tanking . Same difference in a lot of ways .

The 'Caro's of this world wouldn't agree but they're often just muckrakers anyway :)

Edited by Macca

You're spot on, Macca, and it's just a pity that so many journos creating this storm in a teacup don't see it for what it is. Youre right on the tanking perception in the States, though there was an anti-tanking article on ESPN NBA a couple of months ago.

While a lottery takes the certainty out of the early draft order, yes, it doesn't eliminate teams putting the cue in the rack early for future benefit. The Boston Celtics of 2006-07 were a good example of a team doing this well. They were an ordinary side then anyway, put put players out for the season early and ended up with a top 5 pick which was essentially traded for Ray Allen, and starting to look a bit more attractive with Allen and Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett signed as a free agent shortly after. The very next season they finished 66-16 and won the championship. While I detest them and they defeated my beloved Lakers for the title, I applaud them for their approach the season prior. Its been proven time and time again a myth that tanking breeds poor culture and further failure when in fact often the opposite occurs.

You're spot on, Macca, and it's just a pity that so many journos creating this storm in a teacup don't see it for what it is. Youre right on the tanking perception in the States, though there was an anti-tanking article on ESPN NBA a couple of months ago.

While a lottery takes the certainty out of the early draft order, yes, it doesn't eliminate teams putting the cue in the rack early for future benefit. The Boston Celtics of 2006-07 were a good example of a team doing this well. They were an ordinary side then anyway, put put players out for the season early and ended up with a top 5 pick which was essentially traded for Ray Allen, and starting to look a bit more attractive with Allen and Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett signed as a free agent shortly after. The very next season they finished 66-16 and won the championship. While I detest them and they defeated my beloved Lakers for the title, I applaud them for their approach the season prior. Its been proven time and time again a myth that tanking breeds poor culture and further failure when in fact often the opposite occurs.

Good story and one that highlights how quickly a team can rise . Good drafting and getting very good free agents is the key hey ! Who's to say the Colts don't rise again quickly with Andrew Luck . They're a sneaky chance to get a wild-card in the AFC . The thing that impresses me with Luck is how he plays well in the 'Big' moments .

I've probably mozzed him now :)

ps - hopefully your Lakers can get a win for you tomorrow (it's on ESPN) Those Chiefs can't get it done - what the hell's happened ?

Now that you mention it, the Colts have a knack of conveniently stinking it up in epic fashion just when a very special #1 pick QB comes around.

LA - will take a couple months to get warmed up. Could be ugly early but should be ok come playoffs.

Chiefs - unbelievable. Just shows the importance of the QB position. We seriously need this fixed in a massive hurry. Bring on the draft. Our turnover differential is the NFL's worst to this point in the season for over 30 years. Confidence is shot. Today's game was hilarious - we found the wackiest ways to turn the ball over and lose the game. Its like watching Melbourne but without the ability to go to games or friends to share the angst with.

Chiefs - unbelievable. Just shows the importance of the QB position. We seriously need this fixed in a massive hurry. Bring on the draft. Our turnover differential is the NFL's worst to this point in the season for over 30 years. Confidence is shot. Today's game was hilarious - we found the wackiest ways to turn the ball over and lose the game. Its like watching Melbourne but without the ability to go to games or friends to share the angst with.

I watched the Chiefs game today, it was a stinker! They were right in the game in the second half then just self destructed! So many turnovers and defensive touchdowns to the Chargers.

And did you see the graphic they put up that they havent won a regular season game with a QB that they actually drafted since, it was something crazy like 1987(I may be wrong on exact year). Amazing stat! I actually felt a bit sorry for Cassell, a lot of his teams woes werent his doing - McCluster dropping a perfectly thrown sitter, turnover TD etc etc..

Yep Dave, it's a club riddled with poor decisions and cheapskate behaviour. We haven't recognised the need for on elite QB despite rule changes making it an even more QB focused league.

If your Chiefs get the number 1 pick, which seems likely, I don't think you'd look past Geno Smith. Dude has a wicked arm, he had a 25 touchdown streak without throwing an interception recently halted and has put up some crazy numbers this year, think he threw for something like 650 yards and 8 touchdowns in a game.

Hard to get too excited when the Rams aren't playing, MNF might be interesting if Vick continues his turnover woes may lead to the 3rd round rookie Nick Foles who lit it up in the preseason seeing some snaps for the Eagles.

• Like 2

Bill Simmon's column this week focuses on Michael Vick ...scroll down (just over half way) on this link for his tips ...

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8583255/the-polarizing-michael-vick

Dolphins (-2) over COLTS

Ladies and gentlemen, your No. 5 playoff seed in the AFC … the Dolphins of Miami.

Steelers (+3.5) over GIANTS

Pittsburgh's official "We're a Super Bowl contender" statement game.

Tomorrow's TV games ...

5.00 AM Arizona (4-4) at Green Bay (5-3) Fox2

5.00 AM Chicago (6-1) at Tennessee (3-5) OneHD

8.15 AM Minnesota (5-3) at Seattle (4-4) Fox2

8.25 AM Pittsburgh (4-3) at NY Giants (6-2) OneHD

12.15 PM Dallas (3-4) at Atlanta (7-0) OneHD & ESPN

TUE, NOV 6

12.30 PM Philadelphia (3-4) at New Orleans (2-5) ESPN

For all other matches ... http://espn.go.com/nfl/schedule#9

Games on the box this week ...

FRI, NOV 9

12.20 PM Indianapolis 27, Jacksonville 10 OneHD & ESPN

MON, NOV 12

5.00 AM Atlanta (8-0) at New Orleans (3-5) Fox3

5.00 AM Oakland (3-5) at Baltimore (6-2) OneHD

8.25 AM St. Louis (3-5) at San Francisco (6-2) Fox3

8.25 AM Dallas(3-5) at Philadelphia (3-5) OneHD

12.20 PM Houston(7-1) at Chicago(7-1) OneHD & ESPN

TUE, NOV 13

12.30 PM Kansas City (1-7) at Pittsburgh (5-3) ESPN

For all other games ... http://espn.go.com/nfl/schedule#10

Edited by Macca

Andrew Luck played pretty well today, first time I'd seen him play a full game. The Jags are pretty awful admittedly,

but still he looked impressive.

Anyone else watch MNF Saints-Eagles? Fascinating game, poor old Michael Vick had zero protection almost all night,

all he would've been seeing wouldve been the black and gold batallion with nostrils flaring baring down on him. Even

someone with his sublime scrambling abilities was left bamboozled.

I did like the special teams play that the Eagles tried with success that was ultimately nullified by a penalty for forward pass

unfortunately.

For those who missed it:

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/riley-cooper-hiding/

Definitely one of the funnier looking plays Ive seen of late!

Andrew Luck played pretty well today, first time I'd seen him play a full game. The Jags are pretty awful admittedly,

but still he looked impressive.

Anyone else watch MNF Saints-Eagles? Fascinating game, poor old Michael Vick had zero protection almost all night,

all he would've been seeing wouldve been the black and gold batallion with nostrils flaring baring down on him. Even

someone with his sublime scrambling abilities was left bamboozled.

I did like the special teams play that the Eagles tried with success that was ultimately nullified by a penalty for forward pass

unfortunately.

For those who missed it:

http://www.sportsgri...-cooper-hiding/

Definitely one of the funnier looking plays Ive seen of late!

Colts get 4 more wins and they make the playoffs you'd reckon . Here's their schedule ... Indianapolis . Interesting that they play the Texans in 2 of their last 3 games . Houston may well have gotten themselves into a position where they can rest players in Week 17 (when they're at Indi !) .

Watched a bit of the Saints/Eagles game . Yeah Vick was under enormous pressure . Brees was fairly well protected and ended the night with a QB rating of 128.2 with 2 TD's .

SNF should be a beauty this week with Houston at Chicago .

Edited by Macca

Can't wait for Houston-Chicago, should be a corker.

The Colts looked pretty good on TNF, even if it was against the Jaguars. If Playoffs started today they'd be in there, so that's a testament to Luck and their improved defence from last year.

Needless to say , 'cfh' and myself will be hoping for a Texans win ! However , with the improved form of the Colts , Houston won't want to drop too many games .

Here's Bill Simmons weekly column and I've bumped tomorrow's 'TV' games and schedule ...

http://www.grantland...king-mike-brown

Falcons (-2.5) SAINTS

Georgia reader Steve Cooper wonders, "Are the Falcons the first ever 8-0 'Nobody Believes in Us' team?"

Absolutely. The Falcons could finish 16-0, get a bye in Round 1 and still lay less than a field goal to the Giants in Round 2 even if the Giants finished 10-6 and were coming off 10 straight shaky Eli games. Here's why this is happening: These last few seasons have banged home the point — relentlessly, over and over again — that you only need to start playing well after Thanksgiving to win the Super Bowl. We're so tired of getting burned by "contenders" peaking too early (the 16-0 Pats are a sneaky-great example of this) or late bloomers surging after we already poured dirt on them (a.k.a. the 2007/2011 Giants, the 2009 Packers/Cardinals or the 2006 Colts) that everything swung out of whack and that's how we ended up with this gift of a line. For the record, I don't see the Falcons finally stumbling until the Sunday after Thanksgiving (at Tampa).

MON, NOV 12

5.00 AM Atlanta (8-0) at New Orleans (3-5) Fox3

5.00 AM Oakland (3-5) at Baltimore (6-2) OneHD

8.25 AM St. Louis (3-5) at San Francisco (6-2) Fox3

8.25 AM Dallas(3-5) at Philadelphia (3-5) OneHD

12.20 PM Houston(7-1) at Chicago(7-1) OneHD & ESPN

TUE, NOV 13

12.30 PM Kansas City (1-7) at Pittsburgh (5-3) ESPN

For all other games ... http://espn.go.com/nfl/schedule#10

Edited by Macca