• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Progress on Casey Fields?

Supreme_Demon

G'day Fellow Demons Supporters!

Just wondering if anybody knows when the Melbourne Football Club and the Casey Council will sort out that 30 year deal down at Casey Fields?

Hopefully, it will get done before the end of the season. There is a HUGE opportunity there to gain a lot of grass-roots support for the Melbourne Demons.

I know that they are having the Casey Demons Support Group breakfast on during the 8th of July so maybe the 30 year deal will be announced then?

G'day Fellow Demons Supporters!

Just wondering if anybody knows when the Melbourne Football Club and the Casey Council will sort out that 30 year deal down at Casey Fields?

Hopefully, it will get done before the end of the season. There is a HUGE opportunity there to gain a lot of grass-roots support for the Melbourne Demons.

I know that they are having the Casey Demons Support Group breakfast on during the 8th of July so maybe the 30 year deal will be announced then?

This coming Tuesday It should be past at a council meeting.

Ok, so i fully understand all the benefits of the agreement for the City of Casey, but would someone perhaps like to clearly outline the benefits for MFC (perhaps in $ terms as well).

As far as I understand MFC will gain:

- access the the redeveloped first class facilities as a summer training base (big upgrade from Junction oval)

- have a long term community partnership with a growing community which would hopefully lead to increased supporters/membership

- play 2 Nab cup matches as Casey Fields, with the prospect of low-crowd drawing matches played there as well. Includes possibility of AFL building a boutique stadium at Casey, which would allow MFC to play all low-crowd drawing matches there

As far as i understand, our in-season training will be moved to Olympic Park preccinct (next to Collingwood) from 2010, and our admin will be moved to either Olympic Park Preccinct or the MCG (combination of both? Not sure).

So, from mid-2010 we will move from having crapass admin and field/gym facilities as junction oval, to...

- having a first class permanent training facility with a full sized afl oval (don't underestimate the benefits this will have. Junction oval= worst facilities in the afl... that has got to make a difference in performance!!!)

- have a first class permanent in-season facilities as olympic park preccint

- have our entire admin moved to a centralized location, either MCG or olympic park preccinct?

Am I missing anything? Are there any other benefits MFC can see to gain from this partnership?

- play 2 Nab cup matches as Casey Fields, with the prospect of low-crowd drawing matches played there as well. Includes possibility of AFL building a boutique stadium at Casey, which would allow MFC to play all low-crowd drawing matches there

Not sure about the NAB cup games being played there... We wanted to have a NAB cup game there this year, but the AFL didn't give us one. We had a NAB challenge match there, but Albany hosted a NAB challenge match, they can play those anywhere. Hopefully the AFL will give us a NAB cup game there in the future.

As for premiership season matches, it's often bandied about, but logistically I can't see any premiership season matches being played at Casey fields for at least 20 years, and probably never.

How many games a season could possibly be played out at Casey? Two? Three? Surely we would never play any more matches than that out there. The investment required to build a stadium up to AFL standard out at Casey would be $30 - $50 million minimum... Who could justify that type of expenditure to play 2 or 3 games of AFL there a year? I can't see Casey council fronting that cash, I doubt the AFL would invest in a stadium in Cranbourne, and we definitely won't have the coin...

That's without even getting started on the location. Just a pipe dream for mine...

However all the details of this agreement seem to be positive for both Casey and the club. Look forward to getting it signed off...

Not sure about the NAB cup games being played there... We wanted to have a NAB cup game there this year, but the AFL didn't give us one. We had a NAB challenge match there, but Albany hosted a NAB challenge match, they can play those anywhere. Hopefully the AFL will give us a NAB cup game there in the future.

As for premiership season matches, it's often bandied about, but logistically I can't see any premiership season matches being played at Casey fields for at least 20 years, and probably never.

How many games a season could possibly be played out at Casey? Two? Three? Surely we would never play any more matches than that out there. The investment required to build a stadium up to AFL standard out at Casey would be $30 - $50 million minimum... Who could justify that type of expenditure to play 2 or 3 games of AFL there a year? I can't see Casey council fronting that cash, I doubt the AFL would invest in a stadium in Cranbourne, and we definitely won't have the coin...

That's without even getting started on the location. Just a pipe dream for mine...

However all the details of this agreement seem to be positive for both Casey and the club. Look forward to getting it signed off...

Playing games for preimiership points does seem a bit of a pipe dream but I cant see why we couldnt play the GoldCoast/ West Sydney at Casey.

- have our entire admin moved to a centralized location, either MCG or olympic park preccinct?

Afaik our entire staff can't fit at OP now (let alone as [edit: our staff numbers] grow), so we'll have footy staff there and admin in the Southern Stand.

I would say 10 thousand max. It's hard to judge seeing It's standing room only.

I thought they got 15k in for the Essendon v Hawks NAB Challenge game a couple of years ago.

Any further news on the meeting?

Playing games for preimiership points does seem a bit of a pipe dream but I cant see why we couldnt play the GoldCoast/ West Sydney at Casey.

Over 10k at the NAB Challenge game Hawks v Esendon in 2007.

Capacity (which is almost all standing) would be 20,000 approx.

3rd stadium issues need to be addressed - this could be a viable location for MFC or NM v Gold Coast, Western Sydney, Freo. There could conceivably be a 25,000 capacity boutique stadium which could accommodate quite a few games. I posted an analysis a few weeks ago (which i could hunt out in a spare moment) about the number of matches < 25,000 people in Melbourne.

the good thing about casey is that it has the space around it to be easy to improve, upgrade, and car parking is not a roblem (although getting people in and out of the car park may be).

i think for it to be successful in hostin afl games, it would need a larger stand that held at least 15k, and still had room for 10k standing.

i really dont think anyone can afford to have a ground that only holds 20k and play afl games, because when people start getting locked out (conceivably from the first game) everyone will scream.

no one predicts 15000 crowds for games at the g. and if the weather is good, and both teams are up, the game could pull 25k no questions. too hard to predict preseason imo.

but i'd be interested to see your analysis casey scorp.

3rd stadium issues need to be addressed - this could be a viable location for MFC or NM v Gold Coast, Western Sydney, Freo. There could conceivably be a 25,000 capacity boutique stadium which could accommodate quite a few games. I posted an analysis a few weeks ago (which i could hunt out in a spare moment) about the number of matches < 25,000 people in Melbourne.

Now, I understand that we seem to write out a cheque every time we play an interstate side, but I'd be a little bit wary of playing games outside of the MCG. One, because we've just realligned ourselves with them (and we wouldn't want to damage relations with the MCC). Two, the MCG is our home. Three, we should play in Melbourne, not in the 'burbs. We have to solidify our roots in the city. That said, if there's a way of playing games down at Casey and keeping both the MCC happy, remaining fully rooted in "Melbourne", then it seems like a good way to gain new members.

I'm all for this as I have mentioned for the past year or so, however isn't the sticking point the contract agreement that prevents a new stadium in Victoria being used by AFL clubs for 25 years?

Now, I understand that we seem to write out a cheque every time we play an interstate side, but I'd be a little bit wary of playing games outside of the MCG. One, because we've just realligned ourselves with them (and we wouldn't want to damage relations with the MCC). Two, the MCG is our home. Three, we should play in Melbourne, not in the 'burbs. We have to solidify our roots in the city.

Melbourne needs to grow its supporter base.

The studies the club has done suggest that Melbourne has the lowest number of young supporters. Melbourne isn't going to grow its supporter base by relying on playing at the MCG and being associated with the city. This hasn't worked for decades.

The alignment with Casey gives Melbourne a chance to grow the club and the supporter base in an area that is genuinely growing quickly, in a way that will see the club firmly entrenched within the community.

The Melbourne brand won't be damaged with this alignment (if it is agreed upon) as the club will still be predominantly based in the city and MCG. As was mentioned at the Youth Summit, Casey Fields will be seen as a "campus" of the MFC which is a great way of describing the facility.

If Melbourne can play games at Casey Fields then it is most likely that it would only be three maybe four, as I pointed out last year the trend in stadiums is no longer to just go bigger, but to go smaller and fill them up.

I'm all for this as I have mentioned for the past year or so, however isn't the sticking point the contract agreement that prevents a new stadium in Victoria being used by AFL clubs for 25 years?

The contract with Etihad owners stops new stadiums and allows use of pre-existing ones (which includes Princes Park). There will be all sorts of maouevres as parties jockey for position. IMO the influential, educated and articulate residents of Carlton and the MCC will not allow the re-use of PP for AFL matches - they've got rid of them and so they won't allow even small AFL matches back in. However, the AFL might decide that it's worth pushing it - if only to get a concession from Etihad that another (new) venue can be admitted to the mix in lieu of the rights to use PP. Perhaps a venue 40km away that Etihad won't see as a threat.

You never know how it might work out, but I hope MFC gives it a really good shot.

the good thing about casey is that it has the space around it to be easy to improve, upgrade, and car parking is not a roblem (although getting people in and out of the car park may be).

i think for it to be successful in hostin afl games, it would need a larger stand that held at least 15k, and still had room for 10k standing.

i really dont think anyone can afford to have a ground that only holds 20k and play afl games, because when people start getting locked out (conceivably from the first game) everyone will scream.

no one predicts 15000 crowds for games at the g. and if the weather is good, and both teams are up, the game could pull 25k no questions. too hard to predict preseason imo.

but i'd be interested to see your analysis casey scorp.

In 2008, these were the 10 Melbourne matches with less than 25,000:

Round Home Away Venue Crowd

21 Richmond Fremantle MCG 24881

1 WB Adelaide TD 24835

4 NM Melbourne MCG 23427

14 Melbourne Brisbane MCG 23278

18 St Kilda PA TD 22878

13 St Kilda Fremantle TD 22440

22 NM PA MCG 22144

17 Melbourne NM MCG 21330

7 Melbourne Fremantle MCG 19423

20 Melbourne WC MCG 17958

The contract with Etihad owners stops new stadiums and allows use of pre-existing ones (which includes Princes Park). There will be all sorts of maouevres as parties jockey for position. IMO the influential, educated and articulate residents of Carlton and the MCC will not allow the re-use of PP for AFL matches - they've got rid of them and so they won't allow even small AFL matches back in. However, the AFL might decide that it's worth pushing it - if only to get a concession from Etihad that another (new) venue can be admitted to the mix in lieu of the rights to use PP. Perhaps a venue 40km away that Etihad won't see as a threat.

You never know how it might work out, but I hope MFC gives it a really good shot.

Sorry, but you're ridiculously optimistic here.

Firstly, it wasn't the MCC, or the people of Carlton who stopped the AFL matches at Princes Park, it was the Carlton Football Club. With a President who had a massive conflict of interest, decided to not hold the AFL to it's contract of hosting games at Princes Park. With the only reason being they were forced to play there by the AFL. They were quite happy for other clubs to play home games there (including us), and rip them off more than Etihad are ripping other clubs off now.

Carlton are now offering Princes Park to the AFL as a clean stadium, for other Melbourne clubs to use. All it would require is a small investment from the AFL to get the ground back up to AFL standard, where clubs could sell signage, reserve seats, corporate boxes and reap all the profits from such enterprises.

The MCC or the people of Carlton would have no influence on whether games are played there or not. The main stakeholders here, are the AFL, the Carlton football club, and the AFL clubs who could potentially play home games at this stadium.

Secondly, while I acknowledge Casey is a great growth area, and this community development is going to be great for the club, Casey fields is so far out of Melbourne, with extremely poor public transport. We've seen how fickle our supporters are when we've played home games at the Dome. Imagine if we were playing in Cranbourne! Our crowds would be at least halved, probably much less I would imagine. I would predict that 20k crowd against Freo would attract about 5k if it were played at Casey, tops...

It's a nice idea, if I lived in Cranbourne, I'd love the idea of AFL football being played in my area. But it's nothing more than a pipe dream unfortunately, and I think we'll see us playing a couple of home games against sides like West Sydney and Gold Coast at Princes Park within a couple of years.

Secondly, while I acknowledge Casey is a great growth area, and this community development is going to be great for the club, Casey fields is so far out of Melbourne, with extremely poor public transport. We've seen how fickle our supporters are when we've played home games at the Dome. Imagine if we were playing in Cranbourne! Our crowds would be at least halved, probably much less I would imagine. I would predict that 20k crowd against Freo would attract about 5k if it were played at Casey, tops...

5k, tops? You're being ridiculously pessimistic here. 9k turned up all the way at GC (let's say 1k interstate Dee's?.

A NAB challenge match got 2-3k on a cold, wet and windy day that ended in horizontal rain.

The Dome is in a very different category, imo, to CF re supporter sentiment.

Even it became apparent that a poor 'regular MFC' turnout was likely, that just means a greater opportunity for us to engage the locals.

All that said alot of things still have to fall nicely and favourably into place.

One to two thousand went to just watch an intra-club practice match earlier this year.

I would say that ten thousand plus would not be out of the question as there are a couple of key points that you have missed.

1) Casey locals turning out the the game. I know that if any AFL team started to play games in my backyard I'd happily go along to watch, no matter who was playing.

2) The appeal of watching the game at a suburban ground. The MCG is easily the best venue to watch football at, however from speaking to other people who have seen Melbourne play at Casey Fields, the general consensus was the appeal of watching a game at a traditional suburban ground at more of a "grass roots" level. It would never replace the MCG (and would only be used for three to four games maximum), but it makes a great alternative and would reinforce the connection with the Casey community.