One reason why our club is making progress

Here is a primary shift in mentality at our club and the reason why we are making strides toward becoming a more consistant club on the field. Below are extracts from an interview with Dean Bailey posted on the club site today. Note he makes mention of players put under the microscope consistantly on this site and demonology for suspect performance. Note his response is the reason why players are in and out of the side on a weekly basis. It is also the reason why a fit SImon Buckly has not been rushed back into the senior side.

On selection, Bailey said it is now becoming a difficult process for the match committee, as individuals are making progress. Last week, the Demons dropped Kyle Cheney, Clint Bartram, Lynden Dunn and Shane Valenti, but Bailey said it wasn't all due to poor form.

Bailey said the quartet were doing things they might have been able to get away with last year, but expectations had lifted this year. "This year we're trying to raise that standard and there is pressure there for spots," Bailey said.

WE ARE NO LONGER EXCEPTING MEDIOCRITY AT OUR FOOTBALL CLUB PEOPLE.

Now his thoughts on Colin Sylvia:

Colin played well, but we're about trying to be consistent … we'd like an even contribution across the board," Bailey said.

I particulary liked the fact that, when asked about Sylvia in his press conference his expression did not change he just said " Oh yeah Col played well, he works hard Col". That typifies a new mentaility amongst our foootball depeartment which does not reward one off brilliant performances but rather continual stong performances week in week out. He has not given Colin false assurances or undue anadulation for the past performances where he went missing. By this reaction I believe Bailey has set the bar high and encouraged Sylvia to better himself. Had he responded with " Yeah he was good wasnt he" or " Jee im glad we have him in our side" like Clarkson does over at Hawthorn Sylvia would have thought " Jee im back in favor here" I have worked hard lets take the foot of the gas again until the next contract comes around. Be rest assured that he is by no means " in favor" with the coach. He gets his fair roasting at training and at breaks in games when he stuffs up. But he now knows what is required to bridge the gap between TAC cup football and elite level AFL football.

One thing I consistantly enjoy about Bails is his consistant approach to trying to get the players to be consistant. From day 1 he has just continued with the same steadfast approach and it is enjoyable to watch.

After the win this year he was asked why he was not in the huddle singing the song and he response was along the lines of, Why would I? It is for the players, we are the support staff to try and get the best out of the players, they are the ones training since October and playing all season so they should enjoy the wins whilst we get on with the job. Just thought it was fantastic.

Got to say, I love the way Bailey goes about answering questions directed by the media. He seems excellent in the handling of some players, in particular the 'kid' in Sylvia. Psychologically speaking, I think he's going about the development the right way and if it comes off, we'll see some mature quicker than we'd expect, which goes well for the team with respect to the game plan and being mentally strong.

Got to say, I love the way Bailey goes about answering questions directed by the media. He seems excellent in the handling of some players, in particular the 'kid' in Sylvia. Psychologically speaking, I think he's going about the development the right way and if it comes off, we'll see some mature quicker than we'd expect, which goes well for the team with respect to the game plan and being mentally strong.

Yes I agree as well he refuses to be cornered by them and I love when he gets that little rye grin on his face. He does well to disguise his emotions but that grin for me speaks the real message. Like I said to people on this site when people took over I know CC well and those two have a very strong plan which included the entire football department. We are now starting to see it put into action.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.