The Captaincy

Wolfmother

who were realistically the other contenders? And before you say McLean, Green or others, its clear that the players did not think so

I wouldnt say Green or Mclean I would put Bruce in with Mclean and Green as VCs because Brock looks a natural leader and leads from the front on the field which is important.

Captains need to be able to deal with the media side of things but they also need to consistently be able to lead from the front on the field.

Brock Mclean and Cameron Bruce almost always start on the ground where as James McDonald is always nearly on the bench. I dont think he can sustain the pressure of being a captain and also making sure he does his job as a player.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me it reeks of criticism for criticism's sake.

I'm open to being proved wrong, but i'm still not hearing any real reason why having an older captain, that is only in place for a year, is a bad thing.

In collingwood's case I think it gave them time until Maxwell was ready. I fail to see a downside with their decision. They still made the finals. Had they have not had Burns as captain they still wouldn't have gone any further.

Now prove me wrong.

Point taken there but Collingwood were already in the finals and not rebuilding. As a rebuilding club there is no sense in putting in a captain for the short term because nobody expects us to challenge for a flag so why not give it to someone who can do the job and allow them to grow into it

Exactly what i mean Junior is not guaranteed to play 22 games and he normally starts on the bench anyway

Will this affect his capacity to lead & fulfill his responsibilities as captain?

Starting on the bench is not what it was 5 years ago either.

He may not play all 22 games, but which player on the list does come with a money-back-guarantee to play all 22 games?

I doubt the club would have kept him on the list if they didn't think he was capable of playing out the season. Has he chronically broken down with injury the last few years? What evidence suggests he's likely to this year?

My point is that the drawbacks seem to be purely speculation.

Junior is captain, embrace it. He deserves it.

Junior is captain, embrace it. He deserves it.

I never said he doesnt deserve it actually i said i hope he does well but i just dont see the point and noone expects a captain to play all 22 i was saying taht he may not because of his age. No players his age play all 22 consistently and I just think that he should only be focusing on his playing not captaincy because that is what he is there for. To play consistent football and I just have a bad feeling that his football may drop as a result of this.

Point taken there but Collingwood were already in the finals and not rebuilding. As a rebuilding club there is no sense in putting in a captain for the short term because nobody expects us to challenge for a flag so why not give it to someone who can do the job and allow them to grow into it

Grow into it? By putting enormous amounts of pressure on a young kid to explain why his club is struggling under his watch?

Did you see what Geelong did to Leigh Colbert?

I don't agree with that. I think the sensible thing to do is to put the responsibility on the shoulders of an experienced player who can carry the load through the tough times and let the young players develop & grow as leaders without the pressure.

Not being captain in no way prevents a player from being able to lead, it just removes a lot of the pressure associated with the title.

Grow into it? By putting enormous amounts of pressure on a young kid to explain why his club is struggling under his watch?

Did you see what Geelong did to Leigh Colbert?

I don't agree with that. I think the sensible thing to do is to put the responsibility on the shoulders of an experienced player who can carry the load through the tough times and let the young players develop & grow as leaders without the pressure.

Not being captain in no way prevents a player from being able to lead, it just removes a lot of the pressure associated with the title.

I do agree with that actually however as I said a captain needs to be able to deal with that and also sustain high levels of pressure associated with playing well and I have doubts as to whether McDonald can captain and continue to play at the highest level to a level that is expected of a captain.

I never said he doesnt deserve it actually i said i hope he does well but i just dont see the point and noone expects a captain to play all 22 i was saying taht he may not because of his age. No players his age play all 22 consistently and I just think that he should only be focusing on his playing not captaincy because that is what he is there for. To play consistent football and I just have a bad feeling that his football may drop as a result of this.

You're right, you didn't. And i'm massively changing my tune from a few months ago.

But over the last few weeks i have come to see this as the best possible outcome.

I think his age is a good thing, as well as his attitude & the fact he may only have one year left. It lessens the pressure during what could easily be a very tough year.

Did you see the effect Richie Vandenberg had on Hawthorn?

Until recently I agreed with what you are saying, but I came to realise that despite the feelings of uneasiness there is actually no evidence to support this kind of thinking.

I do agree with that actually however as I said a captain needs to be able to deal with that and also sustain high levels of pressure associated with playing well and I have doubts as to whether McDonald can captain and continue to play at the highest level to a level that is expected of a captain.

Fair enough. This is the main point of difference.

I think he is well equipped to deal with the pressure & maintain his form, more so than any other player on the list.

Fair enough. This is the main point of difference.

I think he is well equipped to deal with the pressure & maintain his form, more so than any other player on the list.

Fair I did state although these are my thoughts I do hope he does well because I have a large amount of respect for him as a player I just hope he can continue to perform because he is important to the side I just think he might not be able to handle thinking about the things on the field a captain has to think about and worrying about his own game.

Fair I did state although these are my thoughts I do hope he does well because I have a large amount of respect for him as a player I just hope he can continue to perform because he is important to the side I just think he might not be able to handle thinking about the things on the field a captain has to think about and worrying about his own game.

I share your fears, but I'm pretty optimistic about his impact on the playing group even if he only plays 3 games.

I really think this is a good move by the club.

Good luck Junior...

I was just reading the article and sometimes I think we forget how good jnr actually is for the club... He has two B&Fs in 2006 (when we were goin alright and in the top 4 until the end of the season) and 2007 when we struggled.... He also is an all australian and for the life of me I can't think of another one on our list... He might not be that match winner like Mclean but he has the runs on the board and has more accolades than any other player presently at the club (more than happy for someone to prove me wrong)

My sentiments exactly. They used the same player voting system as last season. As much as we admire Junior, the appointment makes no sense on so many levels.

For starters, I'd hope that Junior's playing time would diminish this year, and the younger mids would take on a greater role.

Secondly, once Junior relinquishes the captaincy, does Bruce takeover the helm? If so, Bruce will be close to 30. Why not groom a younger player like McLean, and give him the VC.

And finally, Junior is not a great media performer which is a prerequisite of an AFL captain these days.

The player voting system got it wrong last season, and they got it wrong this year.

The players vote the leadership group. They do not choose the captain. I would be against McDonald being captain if he was 28 but at 32 he is the best short term choice whilst our list of potential young leaders develop and become the future leadership group that we need. I see alot of people bagging the decision but not really coming up with a strong argument as to who is the better option. Mclean and to a lesser extent Rivers to me show strong leadership material but they both need to just focus on getting on the park this year.

Can someone please explain. At the very end of the article on the announcement of Macca as our captain ( re MFC website), it states ..."more to follow". Am I supposed to get excited thinking a new sponsor, or more on Macca ????????????

The players vote the leadership group. They do not choose the captain.

If that's the case, the football department got it wrong.

I wouldn't have had a problem with Bruce or Green being made captain, if they wanted Mclean to concentrate on getting onto the park. But I can't see Junior getting as much game time as he has in previous years.

It's a short term appointment that makes no sense.

I wouldn't have had a problem with Bruce or Green being made captain, if they wanted Mclean to concentrate on getting onto the park. But I can't see Junior getting as much game time as he has in previous years.

It makes plenty of sense.

He is one of our most consistent and dedicated players. And most well respected by the playing group. That says CAPTAIN!

Whether it is for a year or two so be it. I think two! Junior will get plenty of game time. He aint over yet!

Dont be surprised if WATTS that man doing in the goal square is captain in the near future. He will be named youngest captain of all time. After only 2 years in the system.

he was a captain for pretty much half the season last year, I didnt see any adverse impact on his game then, I dont see it happening now.

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
It makes plenty of sense.

He is one of our most consistent and dedicated players. And most well respected by the playing group. That says CAPTAIN!

Whether it is for a year or two so be it. I think two! Junior will get plenty of game time. He aint over yet!

Dont be surprised if WATTS that man doing in the goal square is captain in the near future. He will be named youngest captain of all time. After only 2 years in the system.

your rite on the money, if macca plays 2 more seasons, watts will be the next skipper, we all love brock but somehow i cant see watts doing burnouts in the carpark after training,thats provided that the kid makes it.

congratulations junior - definitely well earnt and is another pat on the back for the rookie system!!

cam bruce - another rookie who has worked his arse off deserves his opportunity and no doubt will back junior to the hills!!

you hear how much of an impact richard vandenberg had on the hawks in his years as a leader - the criteria that he placed on the leadership group and the playing group.. sam mitchell still refers to the impact he had!!

if junior can instill this into our playing group, take a bit of kirk and his blood pact from the swans, well he will play an important role in the youngsters of this club and also the future direction...

Fully agree .

There is no logic to the appointment - Junior will be lucky to make the starting 22 for most of the year .