Draft profiles

dazzledavey36

ummm no. what part of youth policy don't you understand? Something that McNamee couldn't grasp

Sorry I didn't realise you're part of Melbourne's list management team.

Hey guys: Here are some clips on youtube of some players who might be around for our 2nd pick(& priority):

Lewis Johnston -

Steele Sidebottom -

Nick Heyne -

Rhys O'Keeffe -

Nick Suban -

(a left- footed clone of Dane Swan?)

Mitch Robinson -

OK so they're only highlights reels, but Mitch Robinson looked pretty good.

back to work.....cue sound of whip's lashing

Hey guys: Here are some clips on youtube of some players who might be around for our 2nd pick(& priority):

Mitch Robinson -

Mitch Robinson (TAS) - From what I saw I'd be happy if we picked him up at 17 or 19.

Deanox, you had to bring up Travis :(

JOKE!

;)

i loved travis but watch a brisbane game and compare TJ's disposal to simon blacks. compare TJ to judd or kerr when kicking to the forwards. watch ablett do it. TJ could do some amazing things, TJ had great time and could always find an option, but he wasnt in that league wen kicking to a leading forward imo, not consistantly, and he often tried to do too much.

an 18 yo simon black would be nice ;)

Based only on what I've read, I'm leaning to

Watts

O'keefe

Robinson

Blease

Lucas

All four of the later options are chosen for skill, decision making and often pace. All are mids. Obviously some ruck options later (ie with our horde of rookie picks) are a good idea. We'll see how they go at Casey.

Also, a big element of my thinking is the lack of 'cons' mentioned in these profiles. I'd like to see players who can focus on developing strengths rather than having to worry too much about eliminating weaknesses at the same time.

Based only on what I've read, I'm leaning to

Watts

O'keefe

Robinson

Blease

Lucas

All four of the later options are chosen for skill, decision making and often pace. All are mids. Obviously some ruck options later (ie with our horde of rookie picks) are a good idea. We'll see how they go at Casey.

O'Keefe from what I have seen doesn't have pace like a Blease or Zaharakis.

I want Ranga

Then you're out of luck mate. Geelong have first dibs on him and can either pick him up with their last pick in the national draft or nominate him as a rookie. I can't see why they wouldn't at least take him as a rookie, which means we have no chance to get him.

As for my thoughts on the national draft (from what little I've seen), I'd be happy with:

1 - Watts, Rich or Naita (in that order)

17 & 19 - any two of Johnston, McKernan, Blease, Vickery, Robinson, Zaharakis, Yarran (preferably one pacy mid and one tall).

Vickery will be taken well before # 19, possibly by Carlton at #6 or 7.

That is your opinion. IMO he won't be part of the first 10 picks. 15-25 could be around that numbered pick for Vickery. 19 could grab him. MC Brilliance could be on the money.

IMO, if the Dees decide to trade Green and pick 35, we could get another pick from 14-22. With 1, 17, and 19 (perhaps) up the sleeve, I'd be happy with: -

1 Watts (KPP)

17 Blease (Pace/midfielder)

19 Vickery (KPP)

The other pick a pacey midfielder.

(I'd love the Dees to get Zaharkis - but he will go before 10 in my opinion).

Guest Golgothan

Have to agree that it's very unlikely that Vickery would be around by our 2nd pick. He's clearly the best ruckman after Naitanui and also possesses has the versatility to go forward. Kicked a bag of goals in the last State champs match vs WA and has kicked goals on multiple occasions in the TAC cup. Kevin Sheehan has even mentioned him as a smoky for a top 3 pick, there's other talk that Port are interested in him if Naitanui has been selected before there pick. I don't personally see him as a top 5 pick, but think he'll go 5-15.

If we get Warnock then we've already got 3 ruckman fighting for senior spots as well as developing Meesen and Spencer, so it'll depend on trade week.

1. Watts

17. Zaharakis

19. Blease

We should take Robinson if he's available, but i think he'll already be gone. Zaharakis has lots of poise, the sort of player who looks like he's got as long as he wants we he has the ball. He's shown a lot of maturity to be over-looked last year to then work his ass off to be consider a potential first round pick this year. Could go earlier but i'd be surprised. Blease has decent but not fantastic skills, but is super quick. Another who could go earlier but unlikely to.

Another option we have would be Tom Swift. It's a massive risk, but i'd be happy to see us take the risk. In the u16 carnival 2 years ago he lead just about every midfield stat and averaged over 30 touches a game. He's missed most of the last 2 years because of knee injuries, everyone knows what happened when Joel Selwood was overlooked because of a previous injury. Or he could be a Beau Muston. Another option is Walters, quick and has great skills but he's a bit undersized. Concerns about him being an outside player aren't really a worry IMO, we've got plenty of in & under players and we need some polish.

Have to agree that it's very unlikely that Vickery would be around by our 2nd pick. He's clearly the best ruckman after Naitanui and also possesses has the versatility to go forward. Kicked a bag of goals in the last State champs match vs WA and has kicked goals on multiple occasions in the TAC cup. Kevin Sheehan has even mentioned him as a smoky for a top 3 pick, there's other talk that Port are interested in him if Naitanui has been selected before there pick. I don't personally see him as a top 5 pick, but think he'll go 5-15.

McKernan & Roughead could go before Vickery.

Another I like, that Nathan Buckley spoke of was Tom Lynch. Hope he is around: -

TOM LYNCH

191cm 84kg UTILITY

Sandringham Dragons/Haileybury College

A tall midfielder/utility, has good footy smarts has set up a lot of goals from CHF for his school side and Sandringham, is able to play both ends of the ground and is was a genuine first rounder before being struck down with injury.

PROS: - Reads play well

- Footy Smart

- Link player

- Defensive pressure

- 1%

CONS: - Knee reco last year

PREDICTION: 15 - 35

• 4 months later...
JACKSON TRENGOVE

196cm 77kg RUCK/FORWARD

Calder Cannons

Another injured young gun, was touted as potential top ten and may still be before struck down with hamstring tendonitis, Can play in the back half as well as stints in the ruck.

PROS: - Good skills

- Good pace

- Great work rate

- Reads play well

- Competitive

- Leap

CONS: - Season ending hamstring injury

PREDICTION: 5 - 20

The Port Adelaide Football Club has fined first-year recruit Jackson Trengove $2,500 for his involvement in an incident in which a vehicle was damaged just prior to Christmas.

Trengove, 18, damaged the back windscreen of a car in a late night incident while on leave. He had been drinking prior to the incident. The amount is the maximum the player could be fined under the AFL players’ code of conduct. Half the fine has been suspended.

Shows how clubs really need to do their homework on potential draft picks these days.