Jolly, Simmonds and co.

Bails

Did anybody else see both Jolly and Simmonds play an integral part of both their teams victories on the weekend??

Hind sight is a wonderfuly thing i know...... but I blame Daniher for alot of our F@#%K ups and i believe the decision to keep White (who is the least physical ruckman in the game, and alwys has been) over both Simmonds and Jolly as the biggest mistake of them all.

And isnt it nice to see that both Chris Johnson and Paul Wheatley are both finally getting a proper go under Bailey and performing each week, constantly being names in the best players.

neal Daniher and his team (including chorcoran - dont start me on him) are the main reason and the sole contributor to our clubs current position. How they couldnt see the direction we were going with your Godfrey's, Walsh's, Wards, etc etc is beyond me.

The strange thing is i have complete confidence in the Bailey/Stynes reign and i never felt that confidence with Daniher/Gardner at the helm!

Demons '09

Although I'm much more pleased with the team under the management of Dean Bailey, I dont think ND is at all to blame.

Alot of our trades had to be made. With players wanting to go home or go else where for opportunity, there isnt much we could do at the time.

The club in general took the wrong aim at looking to the future. It all started with poor draft picks and a poor on-field game plan.

on field game plan?? hhhmmmm im pretty sure that is daniher's responsibility no??

and the fact he had chris johnson and wheatley etc playing at sandy and had ward and godfrey playing seniors!!!

cmon grimesy.... daniher is a in a big way responsible for it all!

Did anybody else see both Jolly and Simmonds play an integral part of both their teams victories on the weekend??

Hind sight is a wonderfuly thing i know...... but I blame Daniher for alot of our F@#%K ups and i believe the decision to keep White (who is the least physical ruckman in the game, and alwys has been) over both Simmonds and Jolly as the biggest mistake of them all.

And isnt it nice to see that both Chris Johnson and Paul Wheatley are both finally getting a proper go under Bailey and performing each week, constantly being names in the best players.

neal Daniher and his team (including chorcoran - dont start me on him) are the main reason and the sole contributor to our clubs current position. How they couldnt see the direction we were going with your Godfrey's, Walsh's, Wards, etc etc is beyond me.

The strange thing is i have complete confidence in the Bailey/Stynes reign and i never felt that confidence with Daniher/Gardner at the helm!

Demons '09

Who? chorcoran? Who's that? :lol:

on field game plan?? hhhmmmm im pretty sure that is daniher's responsibility no??

and the fact he had chris johnson and wheatley etc playing at sandy and had ward and godfrey playing seniors!!!

cmon grimesy.... daniher is a in a big way responsible for it all!

I credit ND to being a part of the reason we're so low. But Its not all his fault. I thought he did some magical things in his time at Melbourne. With basic squads and poor facilities.

Anyway, the future is looking bright under our current leadership.

I see where you are going with that list but IMO Walsh was very underrated.

i cant believe daniher and his mates let the list go on an on for so long when we all knew that most of the players were not good enough and we were never going to go anywhere with it.

and i dont care for the old excuse "he wanted to go home" - if the club was showing signs of improving and giving the impression that the list was being managed in a way that it should be managed then these "wantaway players" wouldnt have gone!

for some reason our list managament has been hopeless for a very long time - i am now hopeful and confident that this will change with the new leaders at the club.

delistings this yr:

Carroll

Yze

newton

Weetra

Meesen

Holland

Mcdonald?

possible trades:

Bell

Sylvia

I believe the decision to keep White (who is the least physical ruckman in the game, and alwys has been) over both Simmonds and Jolly as the biggest mistake of them all.

Demons '09

Sorry?

Jeff White, up until the centre bounce rule change, was the Number 1 ruckman in the leauge. He was ( and is still up there ) the most ATHLETIC ruckman in the leauge.

Jolly didnt want to play second fiddle to White ( and fair enough ) so was traded to sydney.

I dont think this was a big mistake at all. Jeff White has served the MFC extreamly well. I agree that since getting rid of Simmonds and Jolly we havent really drafted well in terms of ruck stocks, but this was teh right decision by ND at the time.

1) Jolly wouldv remained a back up ruckman at melbourne until this season. he wanted to be traded and so be it.

It's not like he's a dominant ruckman in the comp. he gets his 14 possies and 25 hitouts a game. he's a solid player and NO star.

Jolly traded for pick 15- Lynden Dunn..... i hardly see that as a bad trade.

2) T.Johnstone- he's turning 29. he's old and he's inconsistent. He's played some great games for the lions (as expected) and will play some blinders in the next couple of years, however when he retires and Jack Grimes is ripping it up at 21 yrs old we will be the winners.

Johnstone for pick 14- Jack Grimes... great trade imho.

3) S.Thompson for B.Moloney---- devastating trade that sets us back massively. Moloney is decent and will play good footy when he gets back to his best, but S.Thompson is an AA midfielder on this years form.

However he wanted to go home so there's nothing we could do. we were always going to get done on this trade, and it's no one's fault!

2) T.Johnstone- he's turning 29. he's old and he's inconsistent. He's played some great games for the lions (as expected) and will play some blinders in the next couple of years, however when he retires and Jack Grimes is ripping it up at 21 yrs old we will be the winners.

Surely to early to comment. Anything could go wrong with Jack.

I've seen Jack play myself, and I can tell you he will be an excellent player all going to plan but dont count your chickens before they hatch!

i cant believe daniher and his mates let the list go on an on for so long when we all knew that most of the players were not good enough and we were never going to go anywhere with it.

and i dont care for the old excuse "he wanted to go home" - if the club was showing signs of improving and giving the impression that the list was being managed in a way that it should be managed then these "wantaway players" wouldnt have gone!

for some reason our list managament has been hopeless for a very long time - i am now hopeful and confident that this will change with the new leaders at the club.

delistings this yr:

Carroll

Yze

newton

Weetra

Meesen

Holland

Mcdonald?

possible trades:

Bell

Sylvia

Goose,

Do a site search on Jolly or Simmonds. The reasons and the context for treating with players at the time have been well covered and facts set straight. This topic comes up form time to time and the same misconceptions and falsehoods get aired.

The biggest point you have made is that hindsight is a wonderful thing. However it is a poor teacher if the issues that were present at the time of decision making are not understood and appreciated?

With regard to Thompson and Jolly, do you suggest we should have kept them disgruntled for 12 months with the prospect that they would have left for nothing through the PSD?? Regrettably, Thompson left for family reasons. Jolly wanted opportunity. When he left he was sulking daisy against the 2004 AA ruckman.

MFC sought to get the best out of the situation and sought the most lucrative trade.

The issue that bugs me is the fact that we have retained senior players like White, Bizzell and Yze too long. We have not been able to address the holes in the list caused by draft penalties in 1999 and 2000 and the drafting debacle that was 2001. We lost 3 years of potential quality and were not prepared to show the same bravery and sense in treating with senior players like we did with Woey.

We also retained deadwood on our list like Ferguson, Read, Godfrey who were never going to provide any upside as opposed to actively turning our list particularly in stronger drafts.

As for your delistings this year, Carroll and Meeson are contracted and have no trade value. You are critical of the list management but did you overlook White?

And as for trades, you are not going to get much for an OP plagued player like Sylvia and an NQR defender in Bell.

1) Jolly wouldv remained a back up ruckman at melbourne until this season. he wanted to be traded and so be it.

It's not like he's a dominant ruckman in the comp. he gets his 14 possies and 25 hitouts a game. he's a solid player and NO star.

Jolly traded for pick 15- Lynden Dunn..... i hardly see that as a bad trade.

3) S.Thompson for B.Moloney---- devastating trade that sets us back massively. Moloney is decent and will play good footy when he gets back to his best, but S.Thompson is an AA midfielder on this years form.

However he wanted to go home so there's nothing we could do. we were always going to get done on this trade, and it's no one's fault!

Good Reply. I just cringe when they are ripping it up for their respective teams - as I'm sure most MFC members/supporters do....especially Thompson!

Surely to early to comment. Anything could go wrong with Jack.

I've seen Jack play myself, and I can tell you he will be an excellent player all going to plan but dont count your chickens before they hatch!

After 10 year career at MFC where he perennially underachieved as a wasted talent and a culture sore, I think we are already line ball. TJ offered us nothing for the future. He is done nothing at Brisbane. Its no wonder that there was no one protesting amongst the playing group when they were advised that TJ was going.

At the time I thought the Moloney - Thompson trade would really benefit the MFC.

Moloney was up and flying, really making a name for himself at Geelong with his tough approach and excellent long kicking skills.

Thompson showed signs, much like the Sylvia of today but never did anything to make us think he was going to be A+ player.

Shows how much times change. Moloney is yet to have his day though.

Thompson showed signs, much like the Sylvia of today but never did anything to make us think he was going to be A+ player.

MFC were on top of the ladder in Rd 18 2004 and then White (AA) and Thompson got injured and we went......! Go figure.

Thompson was already A and was know to be A+ potential.

Moloney was our best outcome out of a regrettable but unavoidable situation. I would have preferred if Thompson had wanted to say with MFC

No shame on Moloney but he is not even in Thompson orbit...even when fit.

At the time I thought the Moloney - Thompson trade would really benefit the MFC.

Moloney was up and flying, really making a name for himself at Geelong with his tough approach and excellent long kicking skills.

See that's what I thought at the time too.

People talking Prismall up, beware! Prismall would look very different in any other line up other than a great side in Geelong. Moloney at the time looked good at Geelong when they were travelling well.

In 2004, it is IMO that our side made the finals through the contributions and the hard ball gets of one Scott Thompson. I am still filthy on him going, regardless of him wanting to go home. I could see the class in him.

In 2004, it is IMO that our side made the finals through the contributions and the hard ball gets of one Scott Thompson. I am still filthy on him going, regardless of him wanting to go home. I could see the class in him.

His brother has cancer, and he wanted to go home. nothing we could do- nor should have done.

Simmonds didn't play that well, I was there and he only did well when a) Richmond were on top and b ) when Hille tried to be a star and didn't pay him any respect. He only had a major influence in the last quarter (where he set up 3 goals and kicked another), but wasn't a dominant force otherwise.

Simmonds didn't play that well, I was there and he only did well when a) Richmond were on top and B) when Hille tried to be a star and didn't pay him any respect. He only had a major influence in the last quarter (where he set up 3 goals and kicked another), but wasn't a dominant force otherwise.

Simmonds was lucky to get a start for the Vics in the Hall Of Fame Game.