Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

To move on from the unfortunate circumstances surrounding Pakistan, the squad for our two tests in India has been announced:

Ricky Ponting (capt), Michael Clarke (vice-capt), Doug Bollinger, Peter George, Nathan Hauritz, Josh Hazlewood, Ben Hilfenhaus, Phillip Hughes, Michael Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Simon Katich, Marcus North, Tim Paine (wk), Steven Smith and Shane Watson.

Hughes was named, a good thing IMO. I hope he gets a game somehow (would it be too much to ask for North to be dropped?) and makes some runs, I still reckon he's going to be a good player and thus should be getting time in the team.

And isn't it fantastic to see that the selectors are still handing out the baggy green cap in a paper bag when NSW players receive their baggy blue cap. How on earth did Hazlewood make the squad??? George I'm, suprised by also, especially when you look at McKay's last domestic season. I also would have thought that James Pattinson's the most promising young fast bowler coming through.

And North still in the squad but no Cameron White!!! Once we loose this test series 2-0 with North and Hussey scoring a combined total of less then 150 runs will Hilditch finally be held accountable?

I'm sympathetic to your cause TD re Victorians.

I think the alleged bias to NSWmen preceded Hilditch but over that time generally the selections have served Australia well.

I am hoping Smith usurps North. White was overlooked because he did little on the last Indian Tour. He is best suited to ODI and 20/20. His bowling just wont carry him in Test cricket.

Hazelwood is a definite prospect. George a little less so. However doesn't there selection give rise to the thought the selectors are seeking to build and broaden the stock of fast bolwers they can draw on given the toll on the quicks last season.

I'm sympathetic to your cause TD re Victorians.

I think the alleged bias to NSWmen preceded Hilditch but over that time generally the selections have served Australia well.

I am hoping Smith usurps North. White was overlooked because he did little on the last Indian Tour. He is best suited to ODI and 20/20. His bowling just wont carry him in Test cricket.

Hazelwood is a definite prospect. George a little less so. However doesn't there selection give rise to the thought the selectors are seeking to build and broaden the stock of fast bolwers they can draw on given the toll on the quicks last season.

Your right RR, I know the NSW bias goes back to Trevor Hohns or whoever it was and possibly even further back and it did serve us well when we had once in a generation type players all playing in the same team at the same time such as Warne, McGrath & Gilchrist. However times have changed and the selectors need to get with the times.

White did have an ordinary tour of India last time your right however he was picked and really played as a bowler when we all know he's really a batsman who can bowl some handy leggies. He's been in fantstic form in the shorter format of the game for a good 18 months now and I would have thought with North struggling now would be the perfect time to slot C. White into no:6 in the batting line up. Plus he's an excellent captain prospect, or maybe that's why the selectors don't want him in so M. Clarke's toes aren't stepped on???

Your right about S. Smith he's a very good prospect but I probably haven't seen enough of him myself to judge exactly what sort of player he is. Is he a genuine all rounder or is he a bowler who bats very well ala Danile Vettori? Or is he the other way round ala Chris Cairns? One thing's for sure he has a bright future.

I have heard good wraps on Hazelwood although is India the place where you want to blood a raw fast bowler if one of the senior bowlers gets injured? India's the sort of place where I think experience and maturity is very important and that's why I would have thought McKay would have been a shoe in for this tour.

It's a very delicate time in Australian Cricket with their rebuilding of the side. I just hope the selctors are able to make the tough and right decissions at the right time. I hate to think of the fall out if we loose the Ashes this summer.

George I'm, suprised by also, especially when you look at McKay's last domestic season. I also would have thought that James Pattinson's the most promising young fast bowler coming through.

I reckon Hazlewood and Starc are two promising young bowlers (both NSW by the way). George too. I reckon they're all better than Pattinson atm.

That's one option. The other would be for Hughes to open, Watson to shift down the order and North to go away.

White's batting is getting to the point where he doesn't need his bowling to be considered for selection. Actually, it is at that point. He is a better batsman than you, and presumably the selectors, are giving him credit for.

Your right about S. Smith he's a very good prospect but I probably haven't seen enough of him myself to judge exactly what sort of player he is. Is he a genuine all rounder or is he a bowler who bats very well ala Danile Vettori? Or is he the other way round ala Chris Cairns? One thing's for sure he has a bright future.

Definitely a batsman who bowls. At the moment his bowling isn't good enough to get him selected as the spinner in front of Hauritz.

Your right about S. Smith he's a very good prospect but I probably haven't seen enough of him myself to judge exactly what sort of player he is. Is he a genuine all rounder or is he a bowler who bats very well ala Danile Vettori?

as t_u said he is a pretty good bat and a pretty handy no.6 imo. I would rate s.smith's bowling ahead of c.white -easy. S.Smith for me even if he is from nsw. :(

Edited by Grimes to Watts

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else watch the Bushrangers v. the CSK last night? I recorded it and watched it not knowing the result this morning.

Exciting!!!

The Bushies got off to a great start chasing 162, but their rate slowed as the pressure rose. They needed one to win off the last ball to McGain, but failed to score, resulting in a tie!

We batted first in the "Super Over", and Hussey belted 'em out of the ground for 27!! They only got 13.

Rivetting stuff!

Hopefully the Warriors from Sth Africa beat the Super Kings (or better yet, it rains), so we qualify for the semis. And it would be against South Australia, too.

Our form is dramatically on the way up, with 3 wins in a row after that early loss. It would be kinda hard to swallow for the team I reckon to finish 3-1 and not make the next stage.

Hopefully the Warriors from Sth Africa beat the Super Kings (or better yet, it rains), so we qualify for the semis. And it would be against South Australia, too.

Our form is dramatically on the way up, with 3 wins in a row after that early loss. It would be kinda hard to swallow for the team I reckon to finish 3-1 and not make the next stage.

No such luck

How frustrating. Well, I guess that's the price you pay for such a lacklustre opening game. Our NRR took a hit because of that game, and despite beating CSK and thrashing the two other sides easily, we're out of the tournament.

I maintain that we're the best team there. At least the most well-rounded.

Edited by titan_uranus

How frustrating. Well, I guess that's the price you pay for such a lacklustre opening game. Our NRR took a hit because of that game, and despite beating CSK and thrashing the two other sides easily, we're out of the tournament.

I maintain that we're the best team there. At least the most well-rounded.

The Redbacks are still a show. :(

The Redbacks are still a show. :(

True, but I still say we're better.

Still, shows the strength of Australian domestic cricket. In the last two years the Sri Lankan, New Zealand, and West Indian representatives (T+T aside, but they had Pollard and Bravo) have been mediocre at best. It's largely a contest between the Indian IPL sides and the Aussie domestic sides.

Test Match v Grand Final on 2nd October.

What will you be watching?

Since I don't have Foxtel, the football.

Was a close call though...

Seriously, though, it should be interesting to see if our bowlers can take 20 wickets in either Test. People keep saying that this is the worst preparation possible because the Indian conditions are so different to Australian conditions. I say if we are able to take 20 Indian wickets on an Indian pitch then our bowlers should be right to take 20 wickets anywhere.

Should also be interesting to see if Hussey and Bollinger play, and if they do, whether or not they have much effect.

I was just about to say that Ponting was looking good for his maiden century in India, but he's gone and run himself out. Seems like it's his fault. Looked very good for his 71 but as has been the case with our batsmen of late, he hasn't pushed on to 100. Hopefully Watson can.

Ok I'm going to talk about the elephant in the room in Marcus North, another duck! Shouldering arms to a quick who's getting the ball to reverse, what a ........... If the selectors are looking for someone to make a string if low scores while getting handsomely paid and traveling the globe I'm willing to my hand up!

How long are we going to carry this guy?

Had a nice start but disapointing end to the day. Hopefully Watson, Paine & the tail can make a good fist of it and get us to at least 350 so we're right in the match. Really hope we can get a series win here although I highly doubt it.

We can't take North into an Ashes series. He's just not good enough. Time to go. Callum Ferguson is back and healthy again, did really well in the Champion's Leage (which is nothing like Test cricket but it was a good performance coming of a knee reconstruction nonetheless) and is one option for the spot. I still believe Cameron White would do better than North, David Hussey is available, as is Phillip Hughes if they can find a way to restructure the side, or Steven Smith as a batsman. There are options, and North shouldn't be one of them.

Watson's in sparkling form at the moment. Twin centuries in the tour game, now another century with only Ponting for support. Pity he didn't kick on though, he should have taken that run a lot more urgently.

If we lose this series, which is a fair chance, we'll start the Ashes as the fifth ranked side in Test cricket. That'll mean we'll be below England, and above only the West Indies, Pakistan, New Zealand and Bangladesh. How times have changed.

Mitchell Johnson is the Dane Swan of the Aussie cricket team. Great job getting a five fer.

On the other hand, Marcus North needs to produce when he comes out to bat tomorrow. If not, he should go out and buy some tickets for the Commonwealth Games events.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

At least he got Tendulkar out.

But he doesn't look up to it with the bat.

One last chance today!

Edited by JUMPING JACK CLENNETT

Took their last 6 wickets for 50-odd runs, which is a good effort in India. Draw looks the most likely outcome but we've performed OK so far. Watson, Ponting and Paine with the bat looked good, then Johnson and Hauritz with the ball looked OK.

At least he got Tendulkar out.

Undoubtedly handy. But not enough to keep him in the side. Needs to make some runs in the second innings.

What a comeback! 4/48 chasing 216! Gambhir, Sehwag, Dravid and Raina all out. We're a chance!

And yes, North has to go. Hussey shouldn't be too far behind him. Our middle order is a joke. If Michael Clarke doesn't score, we collapse. We can't rely on Watson and Katich to produce the bulk of our runs, or Paine, Johnson and Hauritz to bail us out late. We need a stable middle order, and North is as far from stable as can be.

Fantastic match. Over 400 for both first innings, with a century and numerous fluent half centuries, then under 220 for both second innings with plenty of wickets falling. This match proves how Test cricket is totally a better form of the game than ODIs or T20s. A great showcase, and pity there's only one more match in the series.

Having said that, it exposed more of our flaws.

Our middle order is weak and should have been changed for this series in preparation for the Ashes. North is crap and has to go. Everyone except, supposedly, the selectors can see this. He is horribly wrong for our middle order, and only scores runs when the pressure's off and he enters with plenty on the board already. At number 6 you either need a stable rock who can steady the ship regardless of the situation or someone who can provide a counter attack. North is neither of these, and should not be retained based on some flimsy off spin that picks up the occasional helpful wicket. Hussey is struggling too, with only two centuries in the last two years, one of which is arguably tainted given it came in the Sydney Test vs Pakistan where he was dropped three times in now dubious circumstances. His career is coming to an end.

The other big flaw is our spin bowling. Hauritz should have helped bowl us to victory yesterday, as he should have done in Cardiff last year. The ball was turning and bouncing, there was rough, there were footmarks, the pitch was breaking up, yet he couldn't maintain a decent line nor length and leaked far too many runs. Ponting needed him, especially when Bollinger got injured, but he couldn't rely on him. He just isn't good enough, and we need to find a replacement. IMO it should be Steven Smith. He could bat at 7 or 8 if we swap North for a batsman, or he could bat at 6 and we could play an extra bowler, or someone like Andrew McDonald.

Our pace bowlers are undeniably good at their best, and at times in that test we saw them all reach their best, but none of them are consistent enough. Too many legside half volleys for my liking.

VVS Laxman is a star. Tendulkar aside, the rest of the Indian batting line up struggle massively in the fourth innings, Sehwag especially (average of 50+ overall but only 28 in fourth innings). I felt he was, with SRT, the key wicket, and I wasn't surprised at all to see him overcome his back injury to defy us, given he made an unbeaten century in Sri Lanka a few months ago to do the same thing there.

Fantastic match. Over 400 for both first innings, with a century and numerous fluent half centuries, then under 220 for both second innings with plenty of wickets falling. This match proves how Test cricket is totally a better form of the game than ODIs or T20s. A great showcase, and pity there's only one more match in the series.

Having said that, it exposed more of our flaws.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What about our learned captain's bowling changes and field placements!!??

He used up the quicks, then left it too late to try Watson,Clark or Katich. Then, with us desperate for a wicket, and with no runs to spare,we bowl North and Watson.

We needed a finer third man and fine leg to the tail-enders earlier.

With VVS Laxman batting on a slow pitch, he needed cover and midwicket sweepers on the boundary.

He's lost it as a captain, but I can't suggest anyone else.

Really great match, though.

It really emphasised the necessity for video reviews with the modern technology available.

Edited by JUMPING JACK CLENNETT